Author Topic: Games? Anyone else wastes their time?  (Read 31354 times)

Offline Choopy

Games? Anyone else wastes their time?
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 06:32:27 »
I've been gaming for the majority of my life practically. I guess you could say I've wasted most of it!

Games I am currently into are:

socially:
L4D2
BF:BC2

alone:
Oblivion
Just Cause 2

I'm about to go through Mass Effect 1&2 again I think.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 06:41:20 »
Quote from: Choopy;257949
I've been gaming for the majority of my life practically. I guess you could say I've wasted most of it!

Games I am currently into are:

socially:
L4D2
BF:BC2

alone:
Oblivion
Just Cause 2

I'm about to go through Mass Effect 1&2 again I think.

If you're into single player games, you should try Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

Just Cause 2 is one beautiful game in Eyefinity:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 08:58:01 »
i play only one game at one time intensive

coming from BF2 i change to BF2BC and play mostly squad rush.
4on4 no vehicles is fine for me.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 11:17:17 »
Quote from: db_Iodine;257950
If you're into single player games, you should try Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

Just Cause 2 is one beautiful game in Eyefinity:

Pretty.

I really do need to get Just Cause 2 and just sit down and enjoy it at some point. I've not really just "played" a game in a while... far too competitive generally to simply enjoy a game for being a game anymore.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline nmd

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 19:38:31 »
GOD I want to play Recettear so bad but I don't want to buy it either. Everyone says it is worth it but I dunno.

ATM I play SC2, just stopped playing League of Legends and like many others resisting the urge to play Cataclysm -- though at night it beckons to me, whispering sweet nothings into my ears as I sleep dreaming of slaying the Next Big Bad(TM).

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 23:55:50 »
Quote from: nmd;258354
GOD I want to play Recettear so bad but I don't want to buy it either. Everyone says it is worth it but I dunno.

ATM I play SC2, just stopped playing League of Legends and like many others resisting the urge to play Cataclysm -- though at night it beckons to me, whispering sweet nothings into my ears as I sleep dreaming of slaying the Next Big Bad(TM).

Recettear is bit sort lived, but I bought it for support, you missed steam-deal on it I think... It's different, but quite simplistic once you got it...

I want something like it, but much more complex...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

woody

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 11:28:38 »
I finally got to RE5. So far liking it, with minor quibbles.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:20:20 »
Looking at all of these new games is depressing. Oh wow "3D" graphics: all graphics look the same today (seriously, it's the same 3D style repeated over and over). Bunch of polygonic models with generic textures slapped on.

And the way people get excited and pour over them is quite strange. It's like everyone forgot what REAL games were. Moving forward, yet really backward.

Well, I'm certainly unhappy with all the newer games:
#1 BAD MUSIC.
#2 Graphics that all have the same generic 3D style.
#3 poor gameplay.
#4 little replay value with a total de-emphasis on map editors.

Rayman Origins is in production; while it's certainly a lower mark to the original Rayman: I commend the fact that THEY'RE ACTUALLY HAND DRAWING ALL OF THE GRAPHICS! Wow. No more effortless 3D, finally.

Rayman 2 had nice 3D graphics though (probably still beats some of the "new" games).

Now, the music. Ohhh the music. New games today have generic ambient fillers, or total trash. Where's the melodies right into the game? I mean REAL melodies.
Rob Hubbard realized how music can really enhance a game: heck, some people bought a C64 and the games just to listen to the music.

Well that's my rant.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

woody

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:29:54 »
Not really. It was always that only very small percentage of games are worth, the others are just in the rush to make $$, exploiting whatever is modern and selling at the time. I enjoy old ones equally to new ones, provided they're of the "good" kind. Games are about innovation, art, execution and polishing.

tl;dr - try some of the good newer games, ignore the other crap.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:54:22 »
Mount & Blade Warband is a really cool sandbox RPG, cheap, and made by a Turkish indie developer. Definitely worth checking out if you like proper medieval and don't like Elves and Orks.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 16:30:17 »
Those deals going on at Steam... Likely geting costly...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Conditioned

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 02:58:55 »
Antec p183, I5@4.01 ghz, 6Gb Kingston Ram,1200w Corsair psu, Intel 80 gb ssd, 3TB Storage (Seagate), Asus Essence STX with AKG K701, Gigabyte 480 gtx, Dell 2048 WFP 24" + Benq xl2410t 120hz 23,6", Razer Deathadder 3g with Goliathus Control, Netgear Wnr 3500 running Tomato USB w/ 500 gb storage

Offline aynjell

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 02:56:50 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;228228
The masturbation of the gaming world...

For me, that's freecell and sudoku.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 06:52:14 »
Just now started playing GTA IV Liberty City stories. Seems interesting so far.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline phillip

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 07:51:17 »
I've purchased several games recently, but still do nothing but play cs >_>

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 06:19:45 »
I recently bought and played through Mafia II...

Meh... I have to say that the story flows very naturally and you kind of walk through it very fast and easy which is both positive and negative I'd say. Positive because there is no "boring" in between. Negative because there is no real reason and opportunity to go off expanding on your own. Aside from the odd car you MIGHT be able to find and the few pinups that I really couldn't care less for, there is just nothing there.
As a result you really blow through the game very fast and I'd say it has 0 replay value. Honestly doesn't compare at all to the original Mafia which was just plain awesome.

Now I got Battlefield Vietnam since my friends were bothering me. Not bad but not that great either. Gameplay is a bit different, there is much more hiding going on and stuff. The copters are way overpowered though I feel.

I think I will start playing more Starcraft again...

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 08:17:11 »
Just got back into playing world of warcraft and so far I'm liking the worgen. I haven't played in a almost two years so a lot has changed since.

Also damn sure glad I use my browns for playing this game. All the key pressing would have annoyed me on my blues after a few hours.
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline godly_music

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 12:40:12 »
I'm on a Dwarf Fortress binge.

Offline Jerri

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 17:23:05 »
Sometimes i waste my time with World of Warcraft or with Unreal Tournament 2004/III
On other funny days i pull my SNES out and play some cool 16 Bit 2D games :). Oh yeah or some old DOS Games.

My Favs are Descent and Super Metroid!
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 08:29:48 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;276039

Now I got Battlefield Vietnam since my friends were bothering me. Not bad but not that great either. Gameplay is a bit different, there is much more hiding going on and stuff. The copters are way overpowered though I feel.

This(well, BF:BC2) has been my favorite FPS (on console) for a while. I love to play multiplayer FPS, excellent stress reliever. I too was not hugely impresses with Vietnam, seems like little thought went into the map layouts in spots. I cant wait for BF3. CoD sucks balls.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline intealls

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 15 January 2011, 22:53:33 »
Just finished the Dead Space 2 demo. Oh my f god. If you're into survival horror stuff, don't miss this one.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 01:55:00 »
Just so we're on the same track, are we talking about the ORIGINAL Battlefield: Vietnam (the one released after Battlefield 1942, but before Battlefield 2, and is generally thoroughly overshadowed by both), or the recent Battlefield: Bad Company 2 expansion?

Something tells me it isn't the former.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 15:13:19 »
I understood it to be the later, which is what my post was referring to.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Muhi

• http://twitter.com/darkleeroy
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 16:25:58 »
I play WoW, CS: Source, and SC 2. Eventually I'll play Star Wars: ToR when it releases.
Rule No. 2 - Double Tap: You think it’s dead (technically it was before you shot it), one more makes 100% sure.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 17:24:31 »
I just bought Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus today because those games were some of the first I ever played. Still just as amazing as they were in 1998. I challenge you to find a better platformer/puzzle/idk game.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline Muhi

• http://twitter.com/darkleeroy
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 17:53:51 »
Quote from: CodeChef;279561
I just bought Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus today because those games were some of the first I ever played. Still just as amazing as they were in 1998. I challenge you to find a better platformer/puzzle/idk game.

*FART* heheheheheh
Rule No. 2 - Double Tap: You think it’s dead (technically it was before you shot it), one more makes 100% sure.

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 07:57:23 »
yeah, I meant Bad Company 2 Vietnam. The DC crap y'know. I always try to circumvent DC. Come to think of it, I think this is the first I ever "bought". Meh

Anyway: Back to SC2 for me nowadays. Think I will keep it that way until Dragon Age 2 comes out. Dragon Age was a pretty sweet game. Alas not nearly as good as BG/2 as was promised and defo had its shortcomings. But it was worth the bucks and time well spent I'd say :)

Offline aynjell

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 13:10:05 »
Bad Company 2 is some of the most fun LAN gaming I've had in a long time. Get 4 guys on a squad in the same house crowing and shouting, holy crap that's a ton of fun.

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 08:03:49 »
Bad Company 2 is just a pretty awesome game period.

I didn't think it was so great until I was kinda forced to buy it and try it out by my broskis.
God investment that. From the facts on paper I couldn't really make out what the difference to any old shooter with some up to date graphics was. But they actually did some very good fine tuning in terms of gameplay that made it just a very good game at the end.

Modern Warfare on the other hand did nothing.

Offline bugfix

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 08:10:12 »
I used to play PC games a lot, but I have pretty much stopped since I started studying. A real pity though that my gaming rig doesn't see much more than Word or Opera these days...
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 08:47:56 »
Respect The BOX

<------------------------------------

Need More NES
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 09:11:33 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;280327

God investment that. From the facts on paper I couldn't really make out what the difference to any old shooter with some up to date graphics was.

1) destructible environments

2) vehicles

3) LARGE maps

4) Classes that allow you to actually do things besides KILL

all that creates:

5) real teamwork

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 11:14:14 »
Well 1 was kinda new (maybe new for a multiplayer game).

2) old (but very well implemented i.e. balanced to each map, better than in any other game I know)
3) old (and not all the maps are exactly large, I found those maps that were too large a big problem in previous battlefield games. result always was: get a plane/copter or walk around by foot seeing no action. In hindsight I think they did a great job here as well. Especially with the Rush mode [which is new, isn't it?] where they step by step expand the map which is great)

4) not sure bout this one, couldn't figure out how well they did though until I was playing the game. The Medic was VERY well implemented. The Recon class as well (even though it is abused as a pure sniper class by a felt 85% of all players), so were Engineer and Assault. They did a marvelous job with the classes imho.

5) that I read on every MP shooter ever released. how should I know from paper that they actually realized this properly in BC2 :) But they did a fine job at that, definitely.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 11:48:05 »
Sorry, I should have clarified. My post was directly aimed at comparing the quake/unreal/halo/CoD/MoH "norm" (especially on consoles, where CoD will outsell BF:BC2 in orders of magnitude) to the "Battlefields" of the genre.

I just don't get how anyone can consider CoD: MW2 or Black OPs the "best".

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 05:31:04 »
Answer: limited perspective

Offline victheslik

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 06:08:38 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:29:41 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline panda-R

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 00:12:18 »
I'm playing farmville to discover the secrets of a success harvest of wild bamboo. YUM.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline aynjell

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 12:28:02 »
Quote from: instantkamera;280347
1) destructible environments

2) vehicles

3) LARGE maps

4) Classes that allow you to actually do things besides KILL

all that creates:

5) real teamwork

Actually that's not correct. The only reason there is "real teamwork" is because there are xp gains from it, spotting and dropping ammo packs is the easiest xp an assault will get in any given game. This actually forces users to stick together as well.

The END GOAL of every game is to get XP, in fact losing doesn't even bother new people as long as they get a **** bunch of XP.

Offline phillip

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 13:04:27 »
I dunno what game yall are talking about, but I rarely stick with teammates unless they're friends or I'm baiting them >_>

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 13:05:14 »
no game is perfect...

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 21 January 2011, 10:24:41 »
idk
I think in BC2 they did a great job with the "forcing teamplay" not only because of XP. I mean yes, until u are a certain level and have unlocked all the schtuff, you are hogging XP which is also why there are so many medics with low levels. But once you have all that stuff, they managed to balance the classes in terms of weapons so well, that there is always a reason to have a good mix of classes because the medics just like everybody just have certain types of cool guns. Always having different classes and not everyone playing with 2 or 3 different types of weapons (CS ...) is a big point in Teamplay.

As a result of this and the XP thing and the fact that you can have negative K:D ratios and still get the Ace Pin for best player in the round by always repairing your teammates vehicles, healing them and all that good jaz have resulted in a certain vibe within the BC2 community.

That vibe is that a dude who sits at 32:5 but effectively doesn't do **** for the team cuz he is mostly concerned with getting a 32:5 K:D ratio is not seen as "omfg, that guy is such an uber pro!" but as "omfg, what a stathog..." which in my oppinion is quite healthy.

Also more and more (but still too few) ppl do actually applaud a Recon guy who is moving forward with the rest of the team throwing motion mines (or moth balls as we like to call them) and subsequently not getting such a great K:D as opposed to a Recon guy sitting way back in a safe, elevated spot with his x12 scope and occasionally sniping someone who gets into his area...

Offline aynjell

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 21 January 2011, 13:07:37 »
Quote from: Senor_Cartmenez;282277
idk
I think in BC2 they did a great job with the "forcing teamplay" not only because of XP. I mean yes, until u are a certain level and have unlocked all the schtuff, you are hogging XP which is also why there are so many medics with low levels. But once you have all that stuff, they managed to balance the classes in terms of weapons so well, that there is always a reason to have a good mix of classes because the medics just like everybody just have certain types of cool guns. Always having different classes and not everyone playing with 2 or 3 different types of weapons (CS ...) is a big point in Teamplay.

As a result of this and the XP thing and the fact that you can have negative K:D ratios and still get the Ace Pin for best player in the round by always repairing your teammates vehicles, healing them and all that good jaz have resulted in a certain vibe within the BC2 community.

That vibe is that a dude who sits at 32:5 but effectively doesn't do **** for the team cuz he is mostly concerned with getting a 32:5 K:D ratio is not seen as "omfg, that guy is such an uber pro!" but as "omfg, what a stathog..." which in my oppinion is quite healthy.

Also more and more (but still too few) ppl do actually applaud a Recon guy who is moving forward with the rest of the team throwing motion mines (or moth balls as we like to call them) and subsequently not getting such a great K:D as opposed to a Recon guy sitting way back in a safe, elevated spot with his x12 scope and occasionally sniping someone who gets into his area...

I usually do 20:10 and only drop stuff on request. But when you and all your friends are in the same room you can just say "gimme a medkit" or "gimme ammo" and it's done. When there's a pug I am a bit more proactive, though. :)

Offline Trippy

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 28 January 2011, 13:39:39 »
I have been playing Starcraft 2, (ALOT!!!) CS:S, Cod4, BFBC2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, and Angry Birds. So ya that takes up my free time. Now to save to get a mech keyboard, my first and I can't wait.
Keyboards: DAS Keyboard Ultimate w/ Blues/CM Storm QFR w/ Browns
PC Specs: Intel Core i7 4770k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-OC
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz
MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
120gb Samsung 840 evo, 2 WD Blue 320gb
Fractal Design R4
Corsair HX 850

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 28 January 2011, 14:23:54 »
Black Ops mostly, for pc of coarse

Offline SuperPunch

bc2much
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 28 January 2011, 21:00:35 »

My in-game time is not THAT high... I hope.

I just started playing a new indie shooter called, "Breach." It's a console port but with some post-release developer support it could be really fun.

*edit: I'll toss in a video I took.

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 January 2011, 01:28:58 by SuperPunch »

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 28 January 2011, 21:30:06 »
I recently started playing Borderlands...bought it to get in that first try blah blah Duke Nukem ForNever club. Anyway, it's not a bad game!

Offline cometbus

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 15:19:45 »
Quote from: Jerri;276318
My Favs are Descent and Super Metroid!

Super Metroid! My all-time favorite game :thumb:

As far as current games I'm playing:

Starcraft II - the depth to this game is what keeps me at it
CS:S - not so often now that I've gotten into sc2
Oblivion - still not sure if I really like it all that much
Cave Story - hard to beat in terms of good, simple fun
Baldur's Gate II - been a few years since I last played through
Mother 3 - sequel to Earthbound that wasn't ever released in the US or Europe, a group of fans did the translation, and did it extremely well

Now that I look at that list it seems like a lot... I need to finish some of those off.

Offline JelinaNU

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 19:16:54 »
I own and love Starcraft 2. I'm also terrible at it. Imagine a league beneath tin. That's where I lived during the beta. Now I usually just watch other people play -- mostly the Korean GSL. Otherwise I stick to MMOs. *ducks the incoming shoes*

Fighting games are still my guarded favorite. Thing is, there was no scene in Boston when I got back from Australia, and fighting games had yet to go online, so I got rusty and eventually abandoned it.  Then all of my systems were stolen by the movers when I, y'know, moved to Seattle. (Well, except for the Dreamcast. My copy of Third Strike survived to spend the next two or three years as a hostage in my sister's storage unit.) *shrug*
"On important topics it is better to be a good deal prolix than even a very little obscure." -EAP

Offline brotherhid

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 17:33:43 »
I'm playing Bioshock 2 now.. Not as good the first one I think. And Angry Birds too... Worth to play indeed :)

woody

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 13:43:14 »
Any game with zombies in should be at least marginally interesting. Even if it's Flash:

Zombie Trailer Park

Hello, iOS users.