Author Topic: Windows 8, your thoughts?  (Read 42879 times)

Offline Internetlad

Re: Windows 8, your thoughts?
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 18:38:34 »
I keep an old DOS/9x box around. I only use it for old games that won't run on anything newer and go totally mental in vms though. I won't even connect it to my home network, let alone the internet.

I've found DOSBox works pretty well for that, but I DO know of a lady who uses an OkiData printer set up with windows 9X to run an old-ass excel document (literally probably one of the first m$ office programs) so you wouldn't be alone there.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline crthell

• crthell
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 18:39:58 »
For the desktop, there's not much reason to upgrade over Win7 other than to say "I have windows 8". On the tablet side, I like Windows RT. It's recent reviews on Surface get really great ratings.
Surface really interests me. I'm thinking about taking the Pro version (with an i5, I think) for a spin when it comes out.
/crthell
Mechanical Keyboard(s): Apple Extended Keyboard II M3501 (dampened Alps)
Quality Rubber Dome(s): Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 18:41:45 »
For the desktop, there's not much reason to upgrade over Win7 other than to say "I have windows 8". On the tablet side, I like Windows RT. It's recent reviews on Surface get really great ratings.
Surface really interests me. I'm thinking about taking the Pro version (with an i5, I think) for a spin when it comes out.
same already saving up!

Offline NKRO

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 20:41:22 »
What I mean is you'll become one of "those people", like how you still get people who refuse to use computers entirely for instance. The traditional desktop in Windows 8 is akin to the MS-DOS mode in Windows 9x - it's a legacy feature that's going to become gradually stripped down further and further in successive incarnations of Windows as applications and people become less reliant on it, until eventually it won't be there at all. So you'll be left either begrudgingly using it whilst complaining like an technologically-illiterate pensioner, or using Windows 7 long after it's become obsolete and barely usable, or perhaps off using some irrelevant Linux distro that nobody cares about. Either way, everyone else will have moved on as I said, happily using touchscreen interfaces and a variety of form factors.
Actually, I'm quite happy with my PC staying on the desktop, and using an iPad alongside it.

I don't think that Metro is a good interface for touch, and I think it's a terrible interface on the desktop. Metro seems to be in-between Android and iOS. With the iPad, there are actually very complex apps available for the device that have allowed it to replace a notebook for some people. (even people that deal with code, due to apps like Diet Coda now)
With Android tablets, most of the apps there are still just phone apps that have been scaled up rather than tablet experiences.
With Metro, a lot of the apps have tablet interfaces, but are functionally on the level of basic phone apps. The Metro design language doesn't really allow for an app to get much more complex than that.

I've yet to come across a single Metro app that is actually useful yet.

I recommend waiting until Haswell if you don't need it now. The problem I have with Surface is its form-factor, especially the Pro version. With the keyboard cover attached, a lot of users are going to end up wanting to use it like a laptop, but there is no rigid connection between the surface and the keyboard, so it needs to be sitting on a table to use it that way - you can't use it on your lap etc.

As a tablet, I just don't think it's all that good. The hardware seems underpowered, and Windows 8 RT seems slow in general compared to iOS.

I must say though, I wish my iPad had a kickstand. I don't like the smart cover at all, and have yet to find a stand for it that I like. (Magnus seems ok, but it's still not integrated and only allows for landscape use)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 20:51:05 »
This is like the third time now you've somehow not understood what I've said, despite it being blatantly straightforward.

i.e.

"Your argument that Windows 7 will eventually be useless" - Never said this (with your level of Asperger's-esque level of literalness).

What I did say is that Windows 7 will eventually become irrelevant, I suppose you could consider this me saying it will become "useless", but only in a practical reality sense as oppose to absolute literal meaning of it having no potential use. e.g. A Ford Model T isn't literally useless, as it can still function, but realistically yes it is.

"Why are you saying that anyone who uses obsolete operating systems are delusional?" - Also never said this. What I quite clearly said was that if you consider DOS/Windows 3.1x to still be relevant to modern day mainstream computing then you're delusional.

Just stop saying that what I said is irrelevant.  It is relevant, considering I was using it to make a comparison... so no, I'm not delusional.

Ok, I'm just going to shut up now... I don't want to continue debating and end up hurting someone's feelings or something (which tends to happen when I get into a debate). 
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 21:14:09 »
I've yet to come across a single Metro app that is actually useful yet.
This is really similar to the problem I'm having with the argument going on in this thread; I haven't read it too carefully but it seems Malphas thinks those who won't embrace Win8 will be left behind, although I've yet to see anyone mention a reason as to why the new UI in 8 is a step forward in any way, unless they also claim touchscreen to be the future. In which case I would say the touch experience is highly subjective and is, as far as I can see, in no way superior to what we already have.
Although I haven't been able to give Win8 a proper test, so if anyone can enlighten me on how the UI changes are a step forward that would be nice.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 09:09:23 »
Perhaps I am too old-fashioned, but I have little desire to give up my "big" computer rig for what I would consider to be "toys" (to trivialize them a bit).

Since I sit at a desk and do actual real-world work for the majority of my computing time, the most efficient workstation for me is a tower case that I can open up and upgrade any of the many hardware components at will, 2 monitors, a nice keyboard that is easy, fast, and pleasant to use, and a good mouse.

My computer-related hobbies, including photos and music manipulation, have requirements that approximately parallel my work needs.

The fastest possible internet connection is always a positive, but not always under my control.

Yes, I now have the capability to watch old episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" on my telephone while sitting outside on a park bench, and take a photo of a butterfly that lands beside me there, but that is not a part of my core computing experience.

I do not foresee owning a touch-screen monitor on either a laptop or a desktop computer for a decade, maybe a bit sooner on a laptop, but that is still 2-3 OS changes in the future. And do I really want to have to reach up and touch the screen all the time for everything I want to do? What I hate most about using my smart phone is that while I am doing anything, MY HANDS ARE IN THE DAMN WAY and I can't see what is going on!

People here love to post those ridiculous and biased diagrams to show how small keyboards are ergonomically superior to large ones. Why is it not best for a comfortably seated human to look forward at a screen perpendicular to his eyes, with head erect, and work with his hands in a position that is natural to them?

Until a significant portion of the computing public really wants to use a touchscreen as their primary computing interface, why write it into the OS as a core default procedure? Sure, make it an option, but it seems secondary, at most, to me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 November 2012, 09:13:14 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Lorem-Ipsum

• (╯°□°)╯︵ɯnsdı-ɯǝɹoן
    • mattwall.co.uk/
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 09:36:45 »
Well I've had windows 8 installed less than 24 hours and I've already broken it beyond repair.

Currently Using: Corsair K65 (MX Reds)
Own: IBM Model M | Logitech Illuminated | Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blues) [Waiting for Toxic] | Cherry D-91275

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

Offline NKRO

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 09:46:24 »
Perhaps I am too old-fashioned, but I have little desire to give up my "big" computer rig for what I would consider to be "toys" (to trivialize them a bit).

Since I sit at a desk and do actual real-world work for the majority of my computing time, the most efficient workstation for me is a tower case that I can open up and upgrade any of the many hardware components at will, 2 monitors, a nice keyboard that is easy, fast, and pleasant to use, and a good mouse.

My computer-related hobbies, including photos and music manipulation, have requirements that approximately parallel my work needs.
And most people that are purchasing computers for themselves, rather than using a work-provided device, use them for browsing the web, reading email, using IM, watching videos and listening to music. The extent at which a typical user wants to edit photos is easily handled by these devices as well. (cropping and adding color filters)

I do not foresee owning a touch-screen monitor on either a laptop or a desktop computer for a decade, maybe a bit sooner on a laptop, but that is still 2-3 OS changes in the future. And do I really want to have to reach up and touch the screen all the time for everything I want to do? What I hate most about using my smart phone is that while I am doing anything, MY HANDS ARE IN THE DAMN WAY and I can't see what is going on!

People here love to post those ridiculous and biased diagrams to show how small keyboards are ergonomically superior to large ones. Why is it not best for a comfortably seated human to look forward at a screen perpendicular to his eyes, with head erect, and work with his hands in a position that is natural to them?
Touch-screen monitors on the desktop are never going to work. This is why Apple, despite pushing touch forward with their phones and tablets, have not made any move towards touch in their desktops or notebooks. The way forward with touch is multitouch trackpads/mice, and potentially devices like the Leap Motion.

Until a significant portion of the computing public really wants to use a touchscreen as their primary computing interface, why write it into the OS as a core default procedure? Sure, make it an option, but it seems secondary, at most, to me.
84 million iPads in two years seems fairly significant to me.

Well I've had windows 8 installed less than 24 hours and I've already broken it beyond repair.
How on earth did you manage that?

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 10:16:04 »

There are people who bought ferarris and totalled them in 24 hours, doesn't mean it's a bad car, y'knowwhatimean?
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 10:57:09 »
NKRO -

That Leap device looks very cool and I would be happy to try it. In fact, I would consider getting one sooner rather than later.

However, I am a person who has never had any particular love for mice, in fact I have always actively disliked them.

I got an early Logitech trackball 20 years ago that I used quite a lot until I started doing more CAD work. Trackpoints are OK as space-savers, but seem very imprecise and limited, and trackpads are simply impossible for me. Maybe it is large clumsy fingers, dry skin, whatever, I just can't help but feel that I am always fumbling and can never achieve any decent control or accuracy.

Keyboards, however, are a totally different story. I learned to type in the late 1960s on a manual, and typing is very easy and natural to me. I would give up a mouse in a heartbeat, but what takes the place of a keyboard?

I know that Steve Jobs hated keyboards, but what about people who generate thousands of words a day? No way am I going to dictate them into some sort of software translation program! And what about doing a lot of number entry and calculations?

Take my mouse, please.

But not my keyboard!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mztriz

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 14:33:17 »
What's with all the haters? I'm not even a fan of Windows, but Win 8 isn't that bad...

Will you be getting a copy?
I already have one, free and licensed through my university.

What do you think of the low price?
Doesn't everyone like lower prices?

What are your opinions on the new features?
Modern UI (aka metro) is fail on a desktop.

Will this new OS be a problem for PC users?
I can see a lot of people getting tripped up by the lack of a start menu, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

How will the new OS affect your gaming?
All of my steam games run perfectly. It's faster than Win 7 and with better image rendering, too.

Anything else that you think that should be addressed about Windows 8?
  • Native USB 3.0
  • Better multi-monitor configuration
  • Improved graphics
  • Native hypervisor
  • It's faster than Win 7.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 November 2012, 14:39:03 by mztriz »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 15:26:56 »
This is like the third time now you've somehow not understood what I've said, despite it being blatantly straightforward.

i.e.

"Your argument that Windows 7 will eventually be useless" - Never said this (with your level of Asperger's-esque level of literalness).

What I did say is that Windows 7 will eventually become irrelevant, I suppose you could consider this me saying it will become "useless", but only in a practical reality sense as oppose to absolute literal meaning of it having no potential use. e.g. A Ford Model T isn't literally useless, as it can still function, but realistically yes it is.

"Why are you saying that anyone who uses obsolete operating systems are delusional?" - Also never said this. What I quite clearly said was that if you consider DOS/Windows 3.1x to still be relevant to modern day mainstream computing then you're delusional.

Just stop saying that what I said is irrelevant.  It is relevant, considering I was using it to make a comparison... so no, I'm not delusional.

Ok, I'm just going to shut up now... I don't want to continue debating and end up hurting someone's feelings or something (which tends to happen when I get into a debate).
Seriously, what is wrong with you dude? Did I say you were delusional? Did you not understand my last post where I broke it down as simply as I could what I was saying and why you didn't get it? Again, even here you've misunderstood me as saying you were being irrelevant when what I clearly said was DOS/Windows 3.11 was irrelevant - as in irrelevant to the modern computing ecosystem.

Read again.

If you think a PC running DOS and Workgroups 3.11 is still relevant then there's no point even discussing it since our perceptions of reality are too radically different to bother, ha ha.

Not "relevant to the debate", I was saying relevant in general. It's hard to have a debate when you're constantly having to explain to the other person their own failings in comprehension.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 November 2012, 15:31:42 by Malphas »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 15:36:09 »

Despite the danger of edging this pissing match forward, i'm going to say I see where both you and CLiB are coming from. I think what you desired to say is that using windows 7 (or the included features thereof in a future iteration of windows) will become highly impractical. Theoretically you COULD run most o the commands ( and it is still necessary to run some higher-level commands, ie IPCONFIG ) via DOS today, but you wouldn't expect Quickbooks 2013 to come out and feature support for DOS.
No, I meant irrelevant, like I said. Impractical is correct also, of course, but it's not the main issue I was dealing with.

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 22:12:00 »
I'm calling you out, Malphas: you're acting incredibly narrow-minded and appear to support the opinion of "follow the trends and new releases no matter what," which many socio-technologically inept people share, and are looked down upon as noncritical and ignorant of actual changes and their respective effects.

By the time Windows 7 is as deprecated as DOS is today in the market, they'll have rereleased Windows 8 as Win9, and then come out with another "groundbreaking" interface in Win10 and finally changed the naming scheme for the 11th installation. If Windows 8 is a failure, Win7 will last that much longer and same deal with 9, 10, etc.

I know for a fact that all of my friends who work with computers only access different programs with WinKey -> type, btw. It's not a small percentage of the computer-using population that we, as technologically literate people, care about, which Microsoft doesn't have a way to track.
40% layout, anyone?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 22:34:13 »
I know for a fact that all of my friends who work with computers only access different programs with WinKey -> type, btw. It's not a small percentage of the computer-using population that we, as technologically literate people, care about, which Microsoft doesn't have a way to track.

Not to jump on the bandwagon since I haven't installed it yet, but can't you still do this with win8?  Isn't it just the start menu itself that's been done away with?v

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 22:40:37 »
Yes, but it does require more strokes and has an obnoxiously overbearing interface that gets in your way while you try to do one simple thing. If they skipped a version and went straight to default Mac OS features like they have been, they'd just have a shortcut ready universal search bar part of the Explorer bar already.
40% layout, anyone?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 22:43:22 »
snip
 has an obnoxiously overbearing interface that gets in your way while you try to do one simple thing.
 snip

I think this is why I'm seeing a knee jerk reaction.  I don't feel that the new interface is any of the adverbs and adjectives you just used.  It's different (I've used it, but I don't use win + typing now, so I don't think to try that) but I like it.  I don't understand the vitriole on either side of this though, to be honest.

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 23:09:43 »
I'm a graphic and web designer: UI and general design are my thing, and IMO Microsoft needs to hire a 3rd party to get the job done right. I find all the new GUI to look nice and certainly aid the low end user, but to me, it's a huge downgrade in terms of usability and aesthetics. Maybe I shouldn't lump everyone who's computer literate++ in with me, but I would argue many advanced users are inclined to agree, especially given the reception of Win8 from popular sources.
40% layout, anyone?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 23:24:10 »
See and that's the thing, too.  I think advanced users forget how in the minority they are.  This is no knock, but it's like with how iOS looks.  If it looked more like one of "us" would like it, there's an almost certainty that it wouldn't have taken off like it did.  That's the market that Microsoft is going for.

I'm kinda in the middle.  I like being knowledgeable about the stuff, but I like things that just work without me knowing what made it work.  It's part of why I get halfway through putting an iMac, an iPad and an iPhone in a cart online and end up backing out when I realize what I'm doing. 

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 23:44:08 »
In a perfect world, we'd have both, and that's really what Microsoft looks like it's trying to do. Keep the desktop for older users, and introduce the Metro UI for in between and new or new-seeking users. I feel like the classic desktop got the short end of the stick with a pretty noticeable margin, though, and that's what makes Win8 look so bad for me.

This thread isn't about OSX or Macs, but I'd like just to say that while they do a lot of things automatically, they're always intuitive and if you want to do something differently, the System Preferences are two clicks away and much, much better organized than the ever-mysterious Control Panel.
40% layout, anyone?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 23:58:56 »
True that, but has control panel been great in a very long time?  Not saying you're saying it's new in win8, but yeah.

And really, I'd have to see what it takes to go to a classic look.  If it's not as easy as "click classic windows" in a customize menu that you can get by right clicking the desktop, then yeah that's dumb.

Offline poopmat

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 00:56:12 »

REΛLFORCE 103u, Ergodex DX1, IBM model M, Daskeyboard II, QFR brown,

Offline NKRO

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 07:05:39 »
This thread isn't about OSX or Macs, but I'd like just to say that while they do a lot of things automatically, they're always intuitive and if you want to do something differently, the System Preferences are two clicks away and much, much better organized than the ever-mysterious Control Panel.
That's true, but there's also considerably less options contained within System Preferences compared to Control Panel.

OS X has also been making their OS more tablet-like, but they haven't yet gone as far as actually running tablet apps on there. There has been a shift towards implementing full-screen apps on the desktop though, which is a giant step in that direction. Personally I think OS X has been going downhill since 10.4 from a power-users perspective, and 10.5 was the last OS where they actually had good window management.

Offline Lorem-Ipsum

• (╯°□°)╯︵ɯnsdı-ɯǝɹoן
    • mattwall.co.uk/
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 10:00:44 »
I've now been using windows 8 on my laptop for about a day and I must admit I rather like it.

It won't become my main OS as I prefer Linux and BSD but I would be happy to use it if I had to.
On my laptop it runs much faster than windows 7 did and the new start menu(screen), although controversial, is actually very functional.

Windows 8 is certainly now my windows OS of choice.
Currently Using: Corsair K65 (MX Reds)
Own: IBM Model M | Logitech Illuminated | Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blues) [Waiting for Toxic] | Cherry D-91275

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

Offline winzds

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 13:54:54 »
 Windows 8 is a very good Operating system.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 15:16:40 »
By the time Windows 7 is as deprecated as DOS is today in the market, they'll have rereleased Windows 8 as Win9, and then come out with another "groundbreaking" interface in Win10 and finally changed the naming scheme for the 11th installation. If Windows 8 is a failure, Win7 will last that much longer and same deal with 9, 10, etc.
None of this will happen.

I can barely make sense of this. Are you saying all of the people you know use Winkey + type? That's exactly what I'm saying. Or are you saying that people generally don't use this? In which case fine, but I was making the point that it's hypocritical/lacking in self awareness to be complaining about a GUI that actually encourages use of the keyboard rather than mouse on a forum dedicated to keyboards.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 15:25:46 »

i.e.

Seriously, what is wrong with you dude? Did I say you were delusional? Did you not understand my last post where I broke it down as simply as I could what I was saying and why you didn't get it? Again, even here you've misunderstood me as saying you were being irrelevant when what I clearly said was DOS/Windows 3.11 was irrelevant - as in irrelevant to the modern computing ecosystem.

Read again.

If you think a PC running DOS and Workgroups 3.11 is still relevant then there's no point even discussing it since our perceptions of reality are too radically different to bother, ha ha.

Not "relevant to the debate", I was saying relevant in general. It's hard to have a debate when you're constantly having to explain to the other person their own failings in comprehension.

Ok, whatever.  You are obviously very knowledgeable about this, much more so than I.  Perhaps I've been saying things out-of-place this whole time...

I apologize if I made it look like I was being rude, I was just trying to make a point (and apparently it was not a great point to make...)

tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 17:20:20 »
I can barely make sense of this. Are you saying all of the people you know use Winkey + type? That's exactly what I'm saying. Or are you saying that people generally don't use this? In which case fine, but I was making the point that it's hypocritical/lacking in self awareness to be complaining about a GUI that actually encourages use of the keyboard rather than mouse on a forum dedicated to keyboards.
I'm saying Microsoft analytics don't have a way to determine who is computer literate (assuming we are computer literate and someone who struggles with the basics of what a computer does to make things happen isn't) and that we, as computer literate people, are more apt to certain methods and know more about how to easily and appropriately access different functions, and thus points that Win8 is very friendly to new or less technical users are all moot in this thread.

My point is to watch the context of opinions: average users and tablet users don't have reasons to specifically like or dislike any changes so long as they can still with some amount of ease access the few basic functions they use regularly, whereas we have a wider vocabulary of technological terms and have a deeper understanding and INTEREST in the way things work and are more entitled to giving criticism on feature changes, additions, and subtractions that do affect our methods. <- long sentence is badly worded
40% layout, anyone?

Offline Upcboy

• Perfect Aim
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 18:10:43 »
I've had windows 8 for a while(beta testing). And really its not that differnet yeah the start menu is gone but honestly I don't use it in windows seven if i need a program I open it and type what i want. Simple as that. And that still works in Windows 8. So there is very little change for me.

Offline Ugly Genius

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 19:49:01 »
I've been using 8 since it's official release date.  For the most part, I like it. 
My only complaint is that on a desktop, the Start Screen seems like an unnecessary contrivance.
That said, when Windows 95 came out, I felt like it's Start Menu was a misused and overburdened Apple menu.  (Which I still think it is.)  Over time, I got used to the Start Menu, though.  I've never relied on it as much as other Windows users, but I rarely, if ever, wonder if I like it or not.  It's just there.  Sometimes I use it.  Sometimes I don't.  I'm sure, given enough time with the Start Screen, I feel the same about it.
Besides that, the underlying OS of Windows 8 is solid and I have no problems with it.  I'll probably stick with it.

Offline bail_w

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 01:31:32 »
only if Microsoft allow me to disable Metro mode, then i will love Windows 8

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Windows 8, your thoughts?
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 01:36:32 »
only if Microsoft allow me to disable Metro mode, then i will love Windows 8
there is no metro mode just a new start menu...

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 03:05:28 »
Love it.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 03:23:02 »

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 03:25:51 »
I am enjoying how angry the internet seems to be about it! I can't wait for Win8 Lumia 920 and SurfacePro!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 03:28:13 »
I am enjoying how angry the internet seems to be about it! I can't wait for Win8 Lumia 920 and SurfacePro!
dude you and I are on the same wavelength! Surface Pro FTW!

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 03:34:43 »
The only thing that makes me sad is having to use a Microsoft account.. I wanna use gmail and have full integration!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 03:39:15 »
The only thing that makes me sad is having to use a Microsoft account.. I wanna use gmail and have full integration!
that would be nice but this inst android or a chrome book so well just have to wait until google makes some windows 8 apps.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 03:40:49 »
I might have to jump back to Microsoft for email, calendar and skydrive.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #140 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 03:44:55 »
I might have to jump back to Microsoft for email, calendar and skydrive.
just add gmail to the mail client and you cab sync calendar and contacts with it and im sure dropbox will come out with an app soon.

Offline concertomi

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 04:57:03 »
I'm loving windows 8 actually, think just need more time getting used to the new stuff they added. It's also good news for developers since they are able to list their applications on the Store to get more exposure. Give it more time I guess, people will switch imo.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 10:34:33 »
I'm saying Microsoft analytics don't have a way to determine who is computer literate (assuming we are computer literate and someone who struggles with the basics of what a computer does to make things happen isn't) and that we, as computer literate people, are more apt to certain methods and know more about how to easily and appropriately access different functions, and thus points that Win8 is very friendly to new or less technical users are all moot in this thread.

My point is to watch the context of opinions: average users and tablet users don't have reasons to specifically like or dislike any changes so long as they can still with some amount of ease access the few basic functions they use regularly, whereas we have a wider vocabulary of technological terms and have a deeper understanding and INTEREST in the way things work and are more entitled to giving criticism on feature changes, additions, and subtractions that do affect our methods. <- long sentence is badly worded

So essentially you were quoting me to argue against a point that I never even made in the first place rather than my actual arguments?

It doesn't matter than Microsoft can't discern the computer literacy of the users in its statistics, all that matters is that overall most users barely use the Start Menu anymore, that's reason alone for a drastic UI change. There's definitely a lot of work to be done on Metro, I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, but crying that they should just keep the same Windows 9x-derived GUI forever (which is the position of most of the anti-Metro whiners) has no credibility whatsoever in the face of actual facts. I think you're a bit deluded if you think being a more advanced user gives you more entitlement to give criticism, or that your critique is more valuable than novice users - it's not. Microsoft has always been about making software for the masses, and have no interest whatsoever in compromising broad appeal in order to accommodate a minority opinion.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 November 2012, 19:00:13 by Malphas »

Offline shawn o

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 18:28:45 »
I see no reason to upgrade from WIndows 7....so I won't.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 18:30:31 »
all the benifits of a faster and more optimized windows...

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 18:31:40 »
Stick with the time-tested, proven reliable OS.  Good plan...

If I ever do choose to switch to Windows 8, it will only be after it's been around for a while... at least 6 months.

WINDOWS 8 MUST PROVE ITSELF!
tp thread is tp thread

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 18:39:10 »
Prove itself as in what exactly? It already does everything win 7 does...

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 19:09:46 »
Gladiatorial rules.  It has to kill win7 in a colosseum fight.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 19:27:46 »
Gladiatorial rules.  It has to kill win7 in a colosseum fight.

In all seriousness, yes.  It has to prove that it is better than Windows 7, otherwise I don't see any reason to upgrade.

Let me put it this way: if my uncle tells me to try Windows 8, I will try it.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 20:59:48 »
I'll still try it because I like the looks of the new phones and the upcoming generation of processors and what they mean for tablet computing. 

If things shape up how they look to be, I'll replace my giant pc with a tablet running better specs and since they'll have usb and hdmi connections, just plug them into my trusty peripherals when I'm sitting at a desk.

But if win8 is as efficient as it seems as well?  I'll probably have been using win8 for the entire year while this stuff gets finished and polished. My main pc usage now is netflix and web, I game more on my ps3 and haven't missed much in terms of playing MMOs in the past three months.