Author Topic: Windows 8, your thoughts?  (Read 42880 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Windows 8, your thoughts?
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 08:33:25 »
Wait, this is downloading, right?

I would love to have an actual disk, or be able to burn one myself.

My DSL connection is pretty lame, but are we talking about downloading at least a couple of gigs, then installing?

I was planning to try this next week.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 08:53:58 »
Wait, this is downloading, right?

I would love to have an actual disk, or be able to burn one myself.

My DSL connection is pretty lame, but are we talking about downloading at least a couple of gigs, then installing?

I was planning to try this next week.

yea you download it

you have the option to burn a disc or make a flash drive or if you get the ISO you can do both

yea a single layer DVD

go for it do it before the 31st though

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #302 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 08:55:15 »
I installed windows 8 and it took about 1hr to completely install.

1 hour!? I think it's the fastest version of Windows to install. Was it an upgrade install? Maybe you need a new computer??  :)

It took about 30mins to download the file, and another 45min + to upgrade from windows 7.. my computer is quite cheap actually. In USD it costs like 500 usd to build? No SSD as well :P

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #303 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 09:24:41 »
OIC, it was an upgrade that's why it took so long.
Keyboardless

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #304 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 11:29:34 »
I was blown away by how fast Windows 7 installs. Windows 8 blows Windows 7 out of the water.

I used the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to make an installable USB drive (min 4GB required). Using that, a fresh Windows 8 install took about 10 minutes.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #305 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 11:33:47 »
I was blown away by how fast Windows 7 installs. Windows 8 blows Windows 7 out of the water.

I used the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to make an installable USB drive (min 4GB required). Using that, a fresh Windows 8 install took about 10 minutes.
i have yet to try over USB 3.0 but i kind of want to try :D

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #306 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 11:43:02 »
USB 3.0 install to SSD drive =  :eek:
Keyboardless

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #307 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 12:45:14 »
yep ill try when i put win8 on my desktop

Offline dohboi

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 14:52:02 »

Haven't tried that yet, only used the OEM disks so far. I wonder if its any faster on striped SSDs. :p

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #309 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:03:42 »
One problem I see is WinPE may not have USB 3.0 driver and only reading at 2.0 speed or not seeing USB drive at all.
Keyboardless

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #310 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:08:36 »
I installed windows 8 and it took about 1hr to completely install.
1 hour!? I think it's the fastest version of Windows to install. Was it an upgrade install? Maybe you need a new computer??  :)

Interesting variation in install time, which could depend on the hardware it was installed on and the installation media.

I had Windows 95 install down to about 8 minutes back in the day - going from a new blank HDD to a fully working Windows 95 on the network with internet access.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:30:27 »
How the hell did you do that? Slipstreamed install?

I've never seen Win95/98 take less than 70 minutes from the install CD.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Windows 8, your thoughts?
« Reply #312 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:13:51 »
One problem I see is WinPE may not have USB 3.0 driver and only reading at 2.0 speed or not seeing USB drive at all.
win7 had this problem but with the built in usb 3.0 win8 driver thi should be all good.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #313 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:39:25 »
How the hell did you do that? Slipstreamed install?

I've never seen Win95/98 take less than 70 minutes from the install CD.

This was maybe 10 years ago, I really can't remember now, apart from the time.  There wasn't much of it to copy, not like the dozens of GB of bare OS install that you get these days.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline darksakul

• If it is not broken fix it until it is.
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 22:33:03 »
    Will you be getting a copy?
Maybe, just for test/ Educational purposes

What do you think of the low price?
Not bad BUT this should be the norm not the exception. The Price goes back up after April.

What are your opinions on the new features?
Why would I want a Table UI on a Desktop PC?
Touch Screen Gestures do not mix with mouse and keyboard controls.

Will this new OS be a problem for PC users?
Yes. New UI  is not very intuitive UI for anyone not using a touch screen.
I also had some admins that worked with NASA and the FAA tell me this OS is crap.

What do you think of the new ribbon feature in place of the Windows Explorer address bar?
WTF?! Don't fix what is not broken MS!

Any features that you love and is the soul reason you are getting the new OS?
What are you smoking, and can I have some?

Will you be getting a Windows 8 tablet or Smartphone?
Unlikely. Android is my baby.

How will the new OS affect your gaming?
Not at all as I am sticking to Win 7

Anything else that you think that should be addressed about Windows 8?
Microsoft stop shoe-honing **** no one wants. Also the Menu UI visual theme is ugly as sin.
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #315 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 01:06:29 »
This was maybe 10 years ago, I really can't remember now, apart from the time.  There wasn't much of it to copy, not like the dozens of GB of bare OS install that you get these days.

True story. I haven't done it on modern hardware.

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #316 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 23:44:12 »
I've been having some problems lately. yesterday there were 25 updates to be installed on my computer. i believe it's the update of the windows 8 drivers.. after it reaches 100% configuration, it just shows "Restarting" ( I clicked update and restart ). The restart continued for quite a while, until i had to manually switch off.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 09:09:03 »
The messaging app is SO silly, they stop supporting MSN but the implement msn messenger INTO the OS?

-.- so weird.

Ive been using it for about a week now and it still feels like one of the notorious bridging OS's microsoft seems to like doing. If you install classic start menu then yeah youll likely be happy, theres also small features i like... however there is ALOT of rough edges that NEED fixing, which is comparable to vista/7.

The messaging app broke my skype until i stopped using my microsoft account and used a local account instead.

The only reason to get it right now is the price, which is why i got it.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #318 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 13:21:31 »
The messaging app is SO silly, they stop supporting MSN but the implement msn messenger INTO the OS?

-.- so weird.

Ive been using it for about a week now and it still feels like one of the notorious bridging OS's microsoft seems to like doing. If you install classic start menu then yeah youll likely be happy, theres also small features i like... however there is ALOT of rough edges that NEED fixing, which is comparable to vista/7.

The messaging app broke my skype until i stopped using my microsoft account and used a local account instead.

The only reason to get it right now is the price, which is why i got it.
MSN/Windoows Live Messenger is now dead they integrated it with skype

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #319 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 13:21:50 »
I've been having some problems lately. yesterday there were 25 updates to be installed on my computer. i believe it's the update of the windows 8 drivers.. after it reaches 100% configuration, it just shows "Restarting" ( I clicked update and restart ). The restart continued for quite a while, until i had to manually switch off.
never use driver from windows update unless you have to

Offline sordna

« Reply #320 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 13:28:35 »
MSN/Windoows Live Messenger is now dead they integrated it with skype

Anybody knows when a web-version of skype will be available ?  Messenger worked as a web app (and most of Office does) ...
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #321 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 13:57:07 »
I havnt the slighest clue though idk how likey itll be available since everything runs on apps now days.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #322 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 13:58:16 »
O wait sorry a bit tired here would you be talking like a "cloud" app?

Offline sordna

« Reply #323 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 14:36:27 »
Yes, actually Microsoft is converting everything to cloud apps, no? Even for enterprise (office365) but also if you have hotmail / outlook.com account, you can create and edit office documents using a web browser, even with a chromebook. So everything is moving to the cloud, and I would guess Skype (now a Microsoft product) would be too, especially if it replaces Messenger which had a web-app version.  Look at it another way, all IM / video chat apps (yahoo, google talk, microsoft messenger) were web based, and now Microsoft will be the only one that will not have a web-based option?  No, Skype is bound to have a web-app version, so you can use it on thin clients, chromebooks, and the like, my question is not "if" but "when" ? :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #324 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 10:41:00 »
yea i agree that everythings goinkg to web apps which I dont like but its whats going to happen

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #325 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 11:47:13 »
After a few days using win8 + classic shell, im very happy I grabbed it for $15 while I could!  I may pick up another license for my old crappy atom-powered netbook; does anyone know if it runs faster than 7 on very low-end machines?

I really like the small touches like better info when copying files, smoother driver installs, etc. I havent had flickering issues with eyefinity like I did with 7, but they could show up later, they usually started when updating amd graphics drivers without using driver sweeper first.  The start screen is an atrocity but thankfully there are quite a few third party start menu apps, im using classic shell because its free.  Overall I like it quite a bit so far, I havent found anything that's worse than 7 IMO!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #326 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 11:50:16 »
great to hear ive had a close experience

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #327 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:43:18 »
We still have three more days to redeem the $15 Windows8 right?

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/SelectCulture?previousController=Registration&previousAction=Index

I already have one but for $15 dollars, I might as well pick up another.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #328 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:58:48 »
We still have three more days to redeem the $15 Windows8 right?

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/SelectCulture?previousController=Registration&previousAction=Index

I already have one but for $15 dollars, I might as well pick up another.

It clearly says you have to buy a new windows 7 computer to be qualified

"Buy a qualified Windows 7 PC today
Register for the offer
Redeem your upgrade"