Author Topic: Windows 8, your thoughts?  (Read 42972 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Windows 8, your thoughts?
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 11:19:03 »
Yeah, all that stuff's still there (just checked). Anything else?

Offline kabar

« Reply #251 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 11:32:28 »
Installed classic shell immediately, solved metro problem. Haven't noticed any marked difference in performance compared to 7, though 7 had given me a bsod a few weeks ago which is why I updated. I will say this, Windows 8 is stable. I've seen people compare it to Vista and I think that is just unwarranted, it's a great OS.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #252 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 18:01:55 »
true fact...

we have an app at work that we thought we could trial on a surface or other such
the basic requirement was that it can run a wpf app and has 3G so it can be used by the guys that dig holes in the road
...theres no Windows RT with built in 3G
Win 8 Pro won't have support for it

we have 3 guys who work for Microsoft in the office and they sit behind me....their wtf was palpable when they found that out from their RT guys in their office
das blue, mac chicklet, old mac clear hair catcher

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 18:37:15 »
bloatware at its finest
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #254 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 23:12:38 »
Yeah, all that stuff's still there (just checked). Anything else?

soo where is it?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #255 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 00:01:50 »
soo where is it?

Hit the start button and start typing. I found Documents, Music, Videos, Computer, Control Panel, Network, Devices, Default Programs. Hitting Win+W (Settings) brings up even more when searching.

Granted, it's not a popout menu, but what does that actually bring to the table, anyways?
Everything you need is easily accessible via the keyboard (which I'd imagine GeekHackers would appreciate), unless you're the type of person who needs to see things before they know what they're looking for.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 00:29:20 »
soo where is it?

Hit the start button and start typing. I found Documents, Music, Videos, Computer, Control Panel, Network, Devices, Default Programs. Hitting Win+W (Settings) brings up even more when searching.

Granted, it's not a popout menu, but what does that actually bring to the table, anyways?
Everything you need is easily accessible via the keyboard (which I'd imagine GeekHackers would appreciate), unless you're the type of person who needs to see things before they know what they're looking for.
popout menu is nice and quick because i know where everything is located already 95% of the time. was just using win+e before start8 which was alright there was just lots of arrowing or double clicking involved.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 02:04:33 »
popout menu is nice and quick because i know where everything is located already 95% of the time. was just using win+e before start8 which was alright there was just lots of arrowing or double clicking involved.

But what did you do before you knew where everything was? You had to learn that at some point. This is the same thing. It's a new paradigm, and requires a little bit of learning. And I daresay it's way more intuitive.

But ultimately, to each their own.

Offline sordna

« Reply #258 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 02:40:03 »
My recommendation to friends and family using Windows is this:

It's now a good time to upgrade to Windows 7 (from XP) if you haven't already, or buy a new computer with Windows 7 while it's still an option :-)

As for Windows 8, we'll have a much better idea about it in another year or when Windows 9 comes out... It sounds like a joke, but this kind of careful strategy helped many users avoid Vista and go from XP to 7. Hurrying to upgrade to any brand new Windows OS is never a good idea, and there is no reason to either (if you're happy with what you have) since apps continue work on the older Windows for years. I would only get 8 on a touch-screen laptop.

Disclaimer: I'm a _biased_ *ubuntu user, and generally my thinking regarding timing of OS upgrades is this:

*ubuntu upgrades: go ahead and upgrade during beta
Ubuntu upgrades: wait a couple weeks after release
Mac OSX upgrades: wait a couple months after release
Windows upgrades: wait a couple years after release :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Windows 8, your thoughts?
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 04:41:16 »

But what did you do before you knew where everything was? You had to learn that at some point. This is the same thing. It's a new paradigm, and requires a little bit of learning. And I daresay it's way more intuitive.

But ultimately, to each their own.
i found it with determination!

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 18:20:57 »
as a person who works in IT

windows 8 is ****

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #261 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 18:43:16 »

windows 8 is THE ****
FTFY:) I have been playing with it at school(also work in IT) and it is very nice IMO, we did put the Classic Start on, just to help any students who aren't too PC friendly.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #262 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 19:47:28 »

windows 8 is THE ****
FTFY:) I have been playing with it at school(also work in IT) and it is very nice IMO, we did put the Classic Start on, just to help any students who aren't too PC friendly.
its not intuitive at all.

i only used it for like half an hour but i had to keep asking how to get to places -.- i see windows 8 as purely a tablet / touchscreen interface

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 19:53:51 »

windows 8 is THE ****
its not intuitive at all.

i only used it for like half an hour but i had to keep asking how to get to places -.- i see windows 8 as purely a tablet / touchscreen interface
i had to do th same thing when i first used android as well... i guess you could have read or watched something instead but who wants to do that?

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #264 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 21:23:49 »
Now that new PCs are coming in at work, I'm seeing a trend whaen i ask them how they like it.
younger people, or people accustomed to using smart phones seem more at home with W8 (consumers)
older people, developers and content producers miss the start menu.
Since I installed Stardock's start8 start menu replacement i can get by with it ok if I ignore the koolaid stand that comes with every fresh install.
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 21:27:40 »
Now that new PCs are coming in at work, I'm seeing a trend whaen i ask them how they like it.
younger people, or people accustomed to using smart phones seem more at home with W8 (consumers)
older people, developers and content producers miss the start menu.
Since I installed Stardock's start8 start menu replacement i can get by with it ok if I ignore the koolaid stand that comes with every fresh install.
koolaid stand? sorry im confused

my favorite thing about start8 you can still get to metro too

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 21:42:32 »
koolaid stand? sorry im confused

If you drink the microsoft koolaid, you'll appreciate windows app store integration that is so readily available in the pre-populated metro tiles.
The whole social media, join your life to the cloud, be a consumer, buy stuff at the windows app store and like the colored blocky tiles on facebook to reward yourself, mentality just seems so far removed from what I need from a computer.

I remark that its like a koolaid stand because a) you have to drink the koolaid, b) they try to sell it to you, c) it seems to cater to immature or childish tastes.

on the + side: beneath all that nonsensical UI litter the underlying OS itself hasn't hiccuped even once while I've been using it personally.

edit: I don't mean 'you' personally of course, no affront intended.

edit: .oO(I wonder if I'll ever be able to make a post that doesn't need to be edited after it is submitted.)

edit:  :-X this post still needs editing, and now I'm babbling.. I give up.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 January 2013, 21:52:13 by deepthawt »
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 07:35:48 »
I have followed this thread with some interest, although I have never touched Windows 8 personally.

As a user who values "lean, clean, and mean" very highly, I am tantalized by the improved underlying OS, even as I can understand why they have to crap it all up - obviously - they want to make their money after you buy the OS, not on the OS itself.

For me, one-time purchases are palatable, while ongoing subscriptions are most distasteful. More specifically, I want to get everything the way I want it, then just use it.

Running a Microsoft update every other Tuesday or so is not too cumbersome, but I do not want to feel like I am walking on quicksand.

And I fear being held hostage to an internet connection. Every couple of years, my family and I lose our internet connection for half a week, and it is traumatic. The more I can keep locally and the less I have to depend on the cloud, the better.

Don't get me wrong, I love all the online utilities, Dropboxes, and Google Docs and ways to store and share, but I want those options to be ancillary, not core.

There have always been "Classic Theme" and "hide" options and so I am very sorry to hear that M$ has decided to stay in your face all the time.
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline dohboi

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 07:47:14 »
*ubuntu upgrades: go ahead and upgrade during beta
Ubuntu upgrades: wait a couple weeks after release
Mac OSX upgrades: wait a couple months after release
Windows upgrades: wait a couple years after release :-)

^^^^
He speaks the truth! Although idk about the ubuntu because I don't use it. :p

Although I don't think Windows 8 is that bad. Vista was different visually for XP users, but it did have series issues with the OS. Windows 8 is different visually as well, but it seems to function a little more efficiently. Of course, there is still a period of time where they do have to work out some kinks, it seems very stable for it being a few months old.

The only real thing I REALLY wish it had was a integrated photo previewer like OSX, or a previewer you can use if you're in the Desktop. If I only had one screen and had to view a photo because its simply too small in the explorer, it would default to the photo tile app... WHICH IS FULL SCREEN... WTF!? :eek:

For the average user, that's an automatic loss. Microsoft could learn a thing or two from Apple and make a few things a little easier for the average user, instead of throwing them what seems like an OS within an OS.

Let's also take this time to thank Adobe for Bridge because if I have to see that stupid tile spiral onto my screen again... >:D

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 15:50:03 »
The only real thing I REALLY wish it had was a integrated photo previewer like OSX, or a previewer you can use if you're in the Desktop. If I only had one screen and had to view a photo because its simply too small in the explorer, it would default to the photo tile app... WHICH IS FULL SCREEN... WTF!? :eek:

Open With>> Photo Viewer.
  • always open with this program

Yep, it's still there, they just use the app by default

Of course, if you're just looking for thumbnails, just right click the window and choose view large/extra large icons. That gives you a thumbnail so long as you have it enabled.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 January 2013, 16:11:58 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dohboi

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 20:27:01 »

Open With>> Photo Viewer.
  • always open with this program

Yep, it's still there, they just use the app by default

Of course, if you're just looking for thumbnails, just right click the window and choose view large/extra large icons. That gives you a thumbnail so long as you have it enabled.

Thanks for the info! But I was already aware of that. :p

I should rephrase that to, "a zoom feature like Preview in OSX." I believe Preview is what it called in OSX, but I'm probably wrong. I'm sure you all have seen zoom feature it has. I wanted to be able to hit spacebar and the image will zoom in, or a video will start play. Using that, I rarely even used a media player for movies.
Yes, that is asking for a bit much but I've been a little spoiled by OSX for the past couple years. :p

The average user will never know what to do to get it to default to another program too.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #271 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 12:44:23 »
Yeah, I agree that a lot of the "Default" stuff is set up in a "non standard" way (as compared to older windows OSes.)

I think there still is a way to get a "preview" of it. Let me mess around a bit and see.

EDIT:
Click on the "View" tab on the toolbar and select "Preview Pane"  Resize as necessary. Is that what you wanted?
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2013, 12:52:41 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #272 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 12:47:11 »
Thanks for the info! But I was already aware of that. :p

I should rephrase that to, "a zoom feature like Preview in OSX." I believe Preview is what it called in OSX, but I'm probably wrong. I'm sure you all have seen zoom feature it has. I wanted to be able to hit spacebar and the image will zoom in, or a video will start play. Using that, I rarely even used a media player for movies.
Yes, that is asking for a bit much but I've been a little spoiled by OSX for the past couple years. :p

The average user will never know what to do to get it to default to another program too.

You're talking about Quicklook. And yes, Windows needs one of those badly.

Offline dohboi

« Reply #273 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 14:00:00 »

I hope they integrate something like that soon!

Yeah, I agree that a lot of the "Default" stuff is set up in a "non standard" way (as compared to older windows OSes.)

I think there still is a way to get a "preview" of it. Let me mess around a bit and see.

EDIT:
Click on the "View" tab on the toolbar and select "Preview Pane"  Resize as necessary. Is that what you wanted?

I guess that's as close as it gets! Not as convenient as OSX, but it's kinda there in a way.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 14:07:01 »

I hope they integrate something like that soon!

EDIT:

I guess that's as close as it gets! Not as convenient as OSX, but it's kinda there in a way.
i personally dont see a point becuse most of the files i deal with either arnt supported or fully supported directly with windows.

Offline Ian S

« Reply #275 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 17:20:42 »
In this thread someone said Win8 is more compatible that Win7 with older programs.

Does Office 2003 work with Win8?

No, I don't want to pay £nnn to replace what already works.
QPAD MK85 MX-red currently wearing beige vintage Cherry double shots.  Logitech K750.  Cherry G80 1000 with Blacks / Grey (circa 1990) that I've had since about 1994.

Sold: Realforce 88UB 45g; QPAD MK80 MX-Blue.

Offline volatilecoffee

• Formerly ybnrmalatall
  • I don't feel any certain way.
« Reply #276 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 17:39:33 »
-redacted
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 January 2022, 23:43:58 by ybnrmalatall »
Linear gang needs to rise up against the tactile hipsters.

Offline volatilecoffee

• Formerly ybnrmalatall
  • I don't feel any certain way.
« Reply #277 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 17:42:54 »
-redacted
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 January 2022, 23:43:38 by ybnrmalatall »
Linear gang needs to rise up against the tactile hipsters.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #278 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 17:49:48 »
sorry if this has already been covered, but how is win 8 with eyefinity?  I have a 3x1 horizontal display matrix and am concerned about the metro stuff where you have to use the right and left side of the screen (5760 pixels is a lot of scrolling).  any thoughts anyone?  $40 is so cheap and I don't want to miss out but if it's just horrendous with 3 displays then i might as well pass.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:04:09 »
sorry if this has already been covered, but how is win 8 with eyefinity?  I have a 3x1 horizontal display matrix and am concerned about the metro stuff where you have to use the right and left side of the screen (5760 pixels is a lot of scrolling).  any thoughts anyone?  $40 is so cheap and I don't want to miss out but if it's just horrendous with 3 displays then i might as well pass.
noo clue does eyefinity trate it all as one monitor ? if so its span all th monitors then but the boxes can only be so big so most stuff will be on the most left monitor

Offline dohboi

« Reply #280 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:44:23 »
In this thread someone said Win8 is more compatible that Win7 with older programs.

Does Office 2003 work with Win8?

No, I don't want to pay £nnn to replace what already works.

I think 8 will install a shim for the program? I'm not too sure since I briefly read about it. I'm also not too sure about how well the program will perform with the shim.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #281 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:45:45 »
nop 2003 will not work i believe you need 2007 or newer 2013 is right around the corner

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #282 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 19:48:51 »
noo clue does eyefinity trate it all as one monitor ? if so its span all th monitors then but the boxes can only be so big so most stuff will be on the most left monitor

yeah eyefinity treats all 3 screens as one monitor.  I may pick up a copy to play around with and just to have it since its so cheap! 

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #283 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 20:07:38 »

yeah eyefinity treats all 3 screens as one monitor.  I may pick up a copy to play around with and just to have it since its so cheap! 
runs way better in my experience too

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #284 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 01:29:12 »
Isn't Eyefinity AMD only?

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 01:31:25 »
I've read through this entire thread, and quite a bit on some review sites.

Should I upgrade to windows 8 pro for 15USD?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #286 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 01:55:20 »
Isn't Eyefinity AMD only?
Nvidia has a equivalent now

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 01:55:43 »

yep for sure id spend the extra 5$ on start8 too

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Windows 8, your thoughts?
« Reply #288 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 03:06:38 »
If you can't live without the start menu. I'd give it a shot without it first. You might like it.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 03:09:00 »
If you can't live without the start menu. I'd give it a shot without it first. You might like it.
I tried form release till christmas still prefer the start menu

Offline singaporean123

« Reply #290 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 03:18:23 »

Any incompatibility issues with windows 8 and programs/games?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #291 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 03:20:15 »

Any incompatibility issues with windows 8 and programs/games?
no difference from win7 in my experience

Offline Rhinofeed

• Formerly nathaniel_h
    • Rhinofeed
« Reply #292 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 16:12:23 »
You can get Windows 8 Pro for only $15 right now with their http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/.

I upgraded last night and so far it's been working quite well - I like the new Modern UI and Explorer, especially. Well worth the $15.
They don't track anything, so even if you have a home built PC you can just put "Other" as the PC Brand and virtually anything in Retailer and Model. I just put Newegg for retailer and "Nathaniel's PC" for model, lol.

Since it's going up in price after January, get the deal while you can - it's legit.

edit: Although I realized maybe you're all well aware of this deal already. Oh well.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #293 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 23:05:25 »
I'm getting used to it. Played around w/ it at work a few days. I think I got AD to work but no Exchange tabs.
Keyboardless

Offline sordna

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 00:44:24 »
You can get Windows 8 Pro for only $15 right now with their http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/.

I upgraded last night and so far it's been working quite well - I like the new Modern UI and Explorer, especially. Well worth the $15.
They don't track anything, so even if you have a home built PC you can just put "Other" as the PC Brand and virtually anything in Retailer and Model. I just put Newegg for retailer and "Nathaniel's PC" for model, lol.

Are you sure they don't track anything? Don't you need to provide your Windows 7 activation key ? (And if so, can't they track if it was activated within the eligible time period, and not years ago ?)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #295 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:28:36 »
Are you sure they don't track anything? Don't you need to provide your Windows 7 activation key ? (And if so, can't they track if it was activated within the eligible time period, and not years ago ?)

No, they don't track anything. No, you don't need to provide your Windows 7 activation key. Just fill out the form, they send you a promo code to use during checkout. The only catch is that you have to order it via the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.

I just did it 2 days ago on a Windows 7 VM I installed specifically for the purpose of getting another Windows 8 license.

Offline singaporean123

« Reply #296 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:46:35 »
I installed windows 8 and it took about 1hr to completely install.

I think it's quite alright! At first I thought the metro screen(start screen)= THE ONLY SCREEN. So I was like wtf is this sh!t. Turns out, it's only the start screen, which looks quite neat IMO.

Does any veteran users have any tips/things that you should do with windows 8? like things to install, things to avoid, etc??

Offline sordna

« Reply #297 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:49:34 »
Cool, thanks for the info.
It's interesting that they allow installing Windows 8 on another PC... I read in the FAQ that as long as you have an eligible PC (which apparently they don't really track) you can install Windows 8 in another PC.

It's a bummer you have to register with Microsoft though, as opposed to buying an installation DVD from any retailer.

Offline dohboi

« Reply #298 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:45:45 »
Cool, thanks for the info.
It's interesting that they allow installing Windows 8 on another PC... I read in the FAQ that as long as you have an eligible PC (which apparently they don't really track) you can install Windows 8 in another PC.

It's a bummer you have to register with Microsoft though, as opposed to buying an installation DVD from any retailer.

I have the installation disks! :p

There isn't a awesome holographic top anymore. They went with the modern route and solid colors. The only cool looking part is the box itself. The activation key in on a separate card so you can either lose it easier, or store it in a safer spot.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #299 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 08:26:28 »
I installed windows 8 and it took about 1hr to completely install.

1 hour!? I think it's the fastest version of Windows to install. Was it an upgrade install? Maybe you need a new computer??  :)
Keyboardless