Author Topic: Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync  (Read 2954 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ashort

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 489
  • Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« on: Sat, 08 March 2008, 00:12:05 »
http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=89955

Google is like geek crack, I can NOT stop anytime I want to...they keep giving me what I want.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

  • geekhack creator/founder
  • Location: Valley City, ND
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 March 2008, 08:27:53 »
Quote from: ashort;3495
http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=89955

Google is like geek crack, I can NOT stop anytime I want to...they keep giving me what I want.

That's actually a potential big step to get iPhone penetration into the business scene.

However, I'll be sticking primarily with my BlackBerry as I absolutely NEED TeleNav.  ;)

Offline ashort

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 489
  • Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 March 2008, 08:39:32 »
hehehehe.  

YES YOU DO!
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline djones

  • Posts: 112
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 May 2008, 14:14:52 »
You sure are excited about giving google every last shred of your personal information.

Offline xsphat

  • Posts: 2371
  • Location: 'Sconi FTW
  • Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 May 2008, 14:22:59 »
Word, Google is a bad mutha with that sort of ****.

Offline ashort

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 489
  • Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 May 2008, 16:31:51 »
google is going to rule the world someday....why resist?
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline djones

  • Posts: 112
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 May 2008, 12:11:34 »
Quote from: ashort;4615
google is going to rule the world someday....why resist?

Because 1) a pissed off google sysadmin/etc could use it to steal your identity, 2) the government can use it to blackmail you, 3) google can sell your information to unknown 3rd parties, 4) your schedule is viewable by anyone who happens to be using a packet sniffer if you access via wifi without https 5) lack of privacy concern among the general public will lead to more and more surveillance (by both gov't and business) in the coming years?

Offline iMav

  • geekhack creator/founder
  • Location: Valley City, ND
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 May 2008, 13:00:19 »
Quote from: djones;4647
Because 1) a pissed off google sysadmin/etc could use it to steal your identity, 2) the government can use it to blackmail you, 3) google can sell your information to unknown 3rd parties, 4) your schedule is viewable by anyone who happens to be using a packet sniffer if you access via wifi without https 5) lack of privacy concern among the general public will lead to more and more surveillance (by both gov't and business) in the coming years?

None of these issues are unique to Google.  They right "pissed off" people at any email provider, your bank, your employer, etc has potential access to your private information and can choose to exploit it (assuming they are willing to put themselves into that legal jeopardy).

We should take personal responsibility for the securing of our personal data.  If you are transmitting personal data via email, encyrpt it.  if you have sensitive information in your calendar, don't share it (or don't put it in your calendar in the first place).

Offline djones

  • Posts: 112
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 May 2008, 16:02:49 »
Quote from: iMav;4648
None of these issues are unique to Google.  They right "pissed off" people at any email provider, your bank, your employer, etc has potential access to your private information and can choose to exploit it (assuming they are willing to put themselves into that legal jeopardy).


True that none of the problems are google unique, but they have a terrible track record. Every piece of email/etc is actively mined, google toolbar downright spies on you, and street view is just plain creepy.

Offline ashort

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 489
  • Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 May 2008, 19:32:50 »
here's creepy:  Pay attention to the ads on the right as you read your email in Gmail.com.

It's like a reverse groupie following you everywhere.  Pull into a McDonald's and he tells you what's on special today at McDonald's, Wendy's, BK, and Dairy Queen.  Stop at a light and he tells you about ways to beat the traffic cops, better lighting for your house, better fuel economy techniques when pulling away from the stoplight, and reasons to leave the air off and roll your windows down.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

  • geekhack creator/founder
  • Location: Valley City, ND
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Holy Cow! Google Calendar Sync
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 May 2008, 21:46:39 »
If you use gmail, you need FireGPG.