Author Topic: Your Preferred Text Editor  (Read 41310 times)

Offline iri

Re: Your Preferred Text Editor
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 02:56:41 »

I'm not actually a fan of the solarized scheme and made my own which is included with my fork of the Soda Theme. (It's on the package manager as well)

Why fork it?  If you like soda, use soda.

I forked it because I made a few modifications. I basically mixed elements of both the light and dark themes. Nothing major but still enough to fork it so I can easily merge any updates from Ian without having to do my mods again.

It's definitely not a "look, I improved Soda lots" release. More a convenience thing for myself.

Gotcha. Ya Git is an awesome tool. I don't miss the dark days of SVN.
so, you've never used cvs or ms sourcesafe?

p.s. i looked into dark solarized and it looks nice to me.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline belac

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 07:46:02 »

+1 for visual SourceSafe being devilry. Theses posts make me think of Linus explaining why Git was needed. I don't remember it exactly, but something like: "Subversion says it is CVS done right. That's the problem. There is no way to do CVS right."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 08:18:56 »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 19:09:13 »

I'm not actually a fan of the solarized scheme and made my own which is included with my fork of the Soda Theme. (It's on the package manager as well)

Why fork it?  If you like soda, use soda.

I forked it because I made a few modifications. I basically mixed elements of both the light and dark themes. Nothing major but still enough to fork it so I can easily merge any updates from Ian without having to do my mods again.

It's definitely not a "look, I improved Soda lots" release. More a convenience thing for myself.

I personally wouldn't trust MS to do my laundry, never mind store my valuable code.

CSV is just a worse SVN, so no interest in working with them again.

Mercurial is a good distributed code repo, but since I already use Git to manage my life, I have no need to find another repo tool.

Git does so much more than just store my code and make it easy to work on.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 19:11:16 »

+1 for visual SourceSafe being devilry. Theses posts make me think of Linus explaining why Git was needed. I don't remember it exactly, but something like: "Subversion says it is CVS done right. That's the problem. There is no way to do CVS right."

That is a great talk.  :)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 20:04:46 »
"Subversion says it is CVS done right. That's the problem. There is no way to do CVS right."

I was going to paste that one quote from the talk too... It's an amazing talk and a classic. Now contrarily to CVS which becomes kinda very hard to spot in the wild, there are still quite a few people and companies using SVN.

I used to be a Mercurial fan and tried to push Mercurial (ah ah, "push") but eventually I saw the Magit light (Git mode for Emacs) and switched to Git, even for my own projects.

And, well, speaking of VCS and DVCS in a "Your Preferred Text Editor" thread... Is there any text editor or IDE where Git's support is as good as Magit?  8)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #256 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 20:36:50 »
I must have missed when a thread about text editors turned into a thread about source code control.

Anyway we still have some stuff in CVS.  And some newer stuff in SVN.  And the newest stuff in git.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #257 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 23:04:22 »
I use Perforce at work.  I don't mind it at all, except when the network is having issues.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #258 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 00:40:40 »
I use Perforce at work.  I don't mind it at all, except when the network is having issues.

You make games hashbaz?

Offline xandr

« Reply #259 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 02:00:10 »
And, well, speaking of VCS and DVCS in a "Your Preferred Text Editor" thread... Is there any text editor or IDE where Git's support is as good as Magit?  8)

Have you looked into the various Git extensions for Sublime Text? I myself prefer using either Tower on my Mac at home, SourceTree on my work machine or simply command line, but I've heard a lot of good things about Git in ST.
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline iri

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 05:40:32 »
Only command line. Only hardcore.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #261 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 09:47:08 »

Only command line. Only hardcore.

+1. Command line is the only best way. :)