Author Topic: What else do you hoard?  (Read 31702 times)

Offline Oqsy

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 11:01:57 »
Quote from: ripster;187838
Jeffrey Dahmer the serial killer did that too.

Who, that guy?  I wouldn't worry about that little guy.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline lmnop

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 15:34:53 »
along with PS/2 adapters I have a shoe/boot fetish. my walkin closet is full of shoe boxes. don't even wear them lol

ankle straps, kitten heel, t straps, espadrilles, zip up, tall, leather, calf. collecting them since I was about 16
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 May 2010, 15:45:08 by lmnop »

Offline nijikon5

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 15:49:53 »
Quote from: lmnop;188525
along with PS/2 adapters I have a shoe/boot fetish. my walkin closet is full of shoe boxes. don't even wear them lol

ankle straps, kitten heel, t straps, espadrilles, zip up, tall, leather, calf. collecting them since I was about 16

Shoes/Boots eh? Sounds no different than almost every female friend/girlfriend I've known and met. Over 9000 shoes and shoe boxes.

Offline lmnop

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 15:51:50 »
when I went to my brothers wedding in Australia I picked up a couple pairs. picked up a couple more in Italy, been to the mother land 4 times :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 15:54:28 »
Ugg boots? Lol.

They were very trendy over here for a while (still are AFAIK, but not to the same extent) and I remember during the height of it seeing some Aussies outside of one of Dublin's main shoe stores, lol'ing hard at the fact that they were €250 over here.

Offline lmnop

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 16:02:06 »
nope. mmm cheap dublin girls, wait what was I saying :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 16:14:23 »
Quote from: lmnop;188538
nope. mmm cheap dublin girls, wait what was I saying :)

The people who wear them aren't exactly my cup of tea, so I amn't arguing =P

Offline lmnop

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 16:17:05 »
Quote from: ripster;188542
I'm not a detail person so I just enjoyed the scenery while in Australia.
Show Image

What horse?

oh yeah.

my ideal woman is irish. luxurious red hair, sensual green eyes, freckles, creamy skin, big sultry lips, big breasts, big areolas, skinny waist, big butt, thick thighs, small feet, star trek t-shirt, glasses. (to stay on topic)

beam me up scotty
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 May 2010, 16:19:27 by lmnop »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 16:21:05 »
My friends and I have this running theory that redheads are always either very hot or very ugly, and that there's no middle ground.

These are topical issues in Ireland, after all.

Offline lmnop

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 16:26:19 »
water cooler talk :)

Offline lmnop

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 16:42:49 »
webwit you and I are like 2 horses in a harness :)

Offline lmnop

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 16:48:42 »
women from the mother land are not to bad either.. meet Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil.

« Last Edit: Mon, 31 May 2010, 16:53:12 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 00:39:11 »
hey ripster how would you like this for your next birthday?

Offline lmnop

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 00:49:23 »
cute. :)

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 31 July 2010, 20:44:46 »
I didn't bother to post ITT because it derailed, but because my collection at the time was scant. Earlier this year I started saving toilet paper tubes thinking it was the sh*t but I'm not feeling all that hopeful that I can put them to good use yet. Maybe in a few years' time, it will have been a great test of how much room for clutter I have.

Offline instantkamera

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 01 August 2010, 07:42:47 »
Quote from: nanu;208087
Earlier this year I started saving toilet paper tubes thinking it was the sh*t

Oh, I see what you did there.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline NamelessPFG

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 07 August 2010, 22:19:42 »
In addition to old PC parts, I'm building up a collection of non-KB/M input devices and game consoles.

For the former:

-Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar (Force-Controlled Cougar mod pre-installed) + Thrustmaster RCS (Hall sensor kit installed) (You really don't want to know how expensive mods like those are...still, it feels great to use and helps me get into that "I'm sitting in an F-16" mood.)
-NaturalPoint TrackIR 4 Pro (As much as I like my aforementioned Cougar + RCS, I'd give that up before the TrackIR. It's that important.)
-Logitech WingMan Interceptor (Quite possibly the best damn flight stick Logitech has ever built, maybe except for the G940's stick. Not too stiff, little center play, precise and spike-free thanks to the strange Hall sensors on the X and Y axes, very ergonomic, and has plenty of controls on the stick itself, mostly courtesy of three hat switches. The only problem is that it uses a digital gameport interface, meaning no compatibility with modern PCs and OSes, and also that it has no twist rudder.)
-Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D (The physical layout of all the controls is pretty good, and it's fairly ergonomic. Problem is, they used cheap potentiometers and coupled them to the stick gimbals in such a half-assed manner that X/Y-axis bleed is a problem. Worse off, the stick's centering forces have a MASSIVE deadzone that still leave the stick loose within a whopping 20% or so of both X-axis and Y-axis ranges.)
-Microsoft SideWinder Freestyle Pro (It's very ergonomic with the long grips, and it's one of the earlier controllers to use an accelerometer, which actually works surprisingly well for a late 1990s peripheral. Problem is, the D-Pad is a whole new level of suck. Hitting a cardinal direction can and will often result in a diagonal input. Seriously, the Xbox 360 gamepad's D-Pad is godly compared to this.)
-Microsoft SideWinder Force-Feedback Wheel (Second-gen red version, USB. 240 degrees of steering, 6 face buttons, paddles, no handle shifter of any sort, no clutch, and very disturbingly, the gas and brake pedals only have 6-bit (64) resolution. Good starter wheel, but FFB support is VERY hit-and-miss with Vista/Win7 64-bit because MS never released anything resembling proper drivers for an OS beyond XP 32-bit.)
-Spacetec SpaceOrb 360 (Successor to the Spaceball Avenger, and the controller of choice for any true Descent player-yeah, you heard me, MS SideWinder 3D Pro diehards! Takes a bit of getting used to, but it allows for some very nice manuevering in 6DoF games like Descent, Independence War, Terminus, etc. Downsides include having only 6 buttons and a serial interface that won't work on modern PCs.)

-3dconnexion SpacePilot (A 3D/6DoF "mouse" generally used in professional apps like the old Spacetec SpaceBall line it's descended from, and lacking in game support since they don't really consider it a priority, though I think I can use GlovePIE and PPJoy to get around that. Currently waiting for it to arrive.)
-Microsoft SideWinder Force-Feedback 2 (Second-gen red version. This particular FFB stick has a ridiculously diehard following despite its lack of controls-the stick only has four buttons and a hat switch, with four more buttons on the base. In addition, it's in much the same predicament driver-wise as the aforementioned SWFFB Wheel. Despite this, you'll see sellers on the Internet try and charge $100-150 for these things at times, and its most ardent fans will collect more than one of these sticks as spares-even if the primary one is ten years old and still going strong! Also waiting for this one to be delivered.)

For the latter (all consoles North American models):

-NES, "toaster"/front-loader
-SNES, Model 1
-Genesis (Mega Drive), Model 1B (no "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" text or DB-9 in the back)
-N64
-Saturn, Model 2/64-pin/v.0014 (old)
-PSone
-Xbox (one 1.0/1.1, one 1.6, both softmodded)

-GBA SP (frontlit)
-DS
-PSP-2000

Not much of a collection, really...

Offline D-EJ915

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 07 August 2010, 23:20:00 »
man those old thrustmaster sticks were THE BEST EVER nice

Offline mike

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 07:27:53 »
Quote from: ironcoder;128047
I got started in computers in the 1970s and I remember the Trash 80 well and the Sinclair units not at all. I don't know the numbers but it seems to me Radio Shack sold more units all over America than could ever have been sold in Europe...and Sinclair was only known for calculators. I don't know how you can say Sinclair outsold it. Virtually all the Americans in those days got their starts on Trash 80s and later, Commodores. And as I said, the Trash 80 preceeded anything from Sinclair with a z80 in it by at least two years, which is forever in technology. If you want to blame anything for starting the PC revolution, it's Radio Shack.

You're right and you're wrong at the same time.

The US and Europe both had their 'computer revolutions' at roughly the same time but they were very different beasts. US machines in Europe were vastly over-priced - machines such as the TRS-80, Apple II, and the Commodore PET were almost universally business machines here except for the occasional oddity like my dad who spent a week with the ZX81 and immediately replaced it with the PET (at 6 times the cost) because of the keyboard.

The ZX-81 sold in vast numbers (1.5million?) despite being Sinclair's main computer for probably less than 18 months.

One of the things to overlook is that we remember the successes as being the ones responsible for the 'computer revolution' and forget just how many candidates there were around at the time. If the TRS-80 hadn't been around, wouldn't one of the others been more successful ? And the same for the ZX-81 ?

From a hoarded copy of "Computing Today" from August 1981, there are the following machines mentioned :-

• Microtan 65
  • Commodore VIC-20
  • Acorn Atom
  • DAI Personal Computer
  • Video Genie
  • Superbrain
  • Commodore PET
  • Sharp MZ-80K
  • Nascom 1 & 2
  • Sharp MZ80-B
  • Apple II
  • Ohio Superboard
  • UK101
  • Seed System 19
  • Atari 400/800
  • Exidy Sorcerer
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.