Author Topic: What ya reading?  (Read 127581 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Re: What ya reading?
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 24 March 2022, 04:04:39 »
Stefan Ahnhem - Victim without a face.
First part of Fabian Risk series. Interesting.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Versaknight

« Reply #301 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 09:24:06 »
Age of turbulence- alan greenspan

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #302 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 11:08:46 »

Escape from Cubicle Nation
by Pamela Slim

I just finished Start Finishing by Charlie Gilkey, and Atomic Habits by James Clear.

I'm also reading Anne McCaffrey's The Dragonriders of Pern (omnibus), and A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan. 

All them charity/thrift Ebay listings during the thing :-*

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #303 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 00:45:32 »
Computing with Quantum Cats by John Gribbin

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #304 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 16:03:46 »
Have dropped off and not reading a lot past few months but gotta say - thanks guys for resurrecting this thread from time to time. Long Live GH bookworms! :thumb:
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #305 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 16:20:46 »
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 26 May 2022, 22:18:26 »
Have you guys noticed that Books actually have less in them than it looks like from the outside.

Even big plump ones, the density of information is actually quite low. Taken all together, you'd expect to know more by the end of it, but not really, not by much anyway. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #307 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 09:29:56 »
This is an awesome book if you like classic rock music :

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57094201-lightning-striking
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 09:37:44 »
288716-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline phinix

« Reply #309 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 02:58:47 »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #310 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 03:00:22 »
Stefan Ahnhem - Motive X.
4th part of Fabian Risk series.

« Last Edit: Mon, 24 July 2023, 02:54:05 by phinix »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #311 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 04:37:34 »
(Attachment Link)

Oooh, this looks interesting.
I'm halfway through and, yes, a very interesting book.
REΛLFORCE

Offline phinix

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 03:03:15 »
(Attachment Link)

Oooh, this looks interesting.
I'm halfway through and, yes, a very interesting book.

I always liked Panama / Cuba story. Sounds like a good read for fans  :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #313 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 09:07:00 »
My daughter gave me this book and it is an excellent read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17465709-braiding-sweetgrass

It would be a good companion read to "Finding the Mother Tree" by Suzanne Simard that I recommended last year.

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 22:30:00 »
Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human by K. W. Jeter. I'm halfway through it, and I must say, I'm liking the story more than the sequel film Blade Runner 2049—and I love the sequel film.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #315 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 08:31:53 »
I remember reading Jeter's first book, Dr Adder, in the early-1980s and it was one of the most horrifying and repugnant things that I had ever seen. People who talked about the "decaying dystopian future Los Angeles" after seeing Blade Runner had no idea ....

The story behind the book, and his relation to his hero and mentor, Philip K ****, are also pretty interesting.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #316 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 15:48:20 »
I remember reading Jeter's first book, Dr Adder, in the early-1980s and it was one of the most horrifying and repugnant things that I had ever seen. People who talked about the "decaying dystopian future Los Angeles" after seeing Blade Runner had no idea ....

The story behind the book, and his relation to his hero and mentor, Philip K ****, are also pretty interesting.
Dr. Adder is on my reading list. I've read The Glass Hammer and Farewell Horizontal, the latter being the most bizarre story I've ever read, as far as the genius of his world-building and outside-of-the-box story premise. A freelance graphic designer living on the outer surface of a humungous skyscraper ruled by biker gangs and tech conglomerates...what?? I still have a difficult time wrapping my head around the physics of it.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 17:33:13 »

living on the outer surface of a humungous skyscraper ruled by biker gangs and tech conglomerates

I still have a difficult time wrapping my head around the physics of it.

That reminds me a bit of Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds, who also tossed in some exquisite steampunk for good measure.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #318 on: Thu, 08 September 2022, 16:48:21 »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 13:16:31 »
ArchDill , that's a very intriguing book. Marked to-read.

Here's what I'm reading now - very interesting book.
291510-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #320 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 08:50:52 »
Somebody should merge these 2 threads.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 08 November 2022, 19:48:01 »
Have you guys noticed that Books actually have less in them than it looks like from the outside.

Even big plump ones, the density of information is actually quite low. Taken all together, you'd expect to know more by the end of it, but not really, not by much anyway. 

I've noticed this phenomenon with nonfiction, specifically in the self-help genre. Fiction, not so much...depends.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #322 on: Tue, 08 November 2022, 22:50:15 »
Just finished The Four Levels of Healing by Shakti Gawain, and prior to that, The Game of God by Arthur Hancock & Kathleen Brugger. Yeah, I'm going through some sh*t right now. :(

Offline smarmar

« Reply #323 on: Wed, 23 November 2022, 18:04:28 »
Been reading a book written by a friend: The Flight of the Magician. Part fiction, part memoir.
293545-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #324 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 19:50:19 »
Cormack McCarthy passed away today at the ripe age of 89.
60 years of being an American writing legend, and my personal favorite author.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #325 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 20:27:28 »

Cormack McCarthy passed away today

His work is breathtaking but excruciating. I guess I need to pick The Road back up, a couple of years ago I got about a quarter of the way through it and it was just too bleak and painful.

As a multi-generational Knox County descendant, I always liked Suttree the best because it felt the most genuine and realistic.

- and if this is to be the preferred thread going forward - I want to re-post my current book here -

An Immense World  by  Ed Yong  is one of the most mesmerizing books that I have ever read. You owe it to yourself to read it.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/59575939
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 June 2023, 08:59:58 by fohat.digs »

Offline smarmar

« Reply #326 on: Tue, 20 June 2023, 20:33:20 »
Cormack McCarthy passed away today at the ripe age of 89.
60 years of being an American writing legend, and my personal favorite author.
Damn shame, right there. Blood Meridian is one of the best books I've ever read, maybe the best. It's been years since I've read it but I still think about it regularly. It's actually the only McCarthy book I've read, thus far. The Road is waiting in line on my book shelf, right now. I hear it's a downer.

Offline mathisart

« Reply #327 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 22:26:18 »
The Holy Bible. Praise Jesus.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #328 on: Sun, 23 July 2023, 19:46:10 »
Brushing up on my hero's journey.
300766-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #329 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 10:56:31 »
This is a surprisingly refreshing and uplifting read:

https://www.goodreads.com/zh/book/show/87040.Gathering_Moss

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 27 July 2023, 19:24:55 »
Show Image
(Attachment Link) " alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Hey, nice. Recently listened to Alan Watts reference it.

Offline J_C___

« Reply #331 on: Fri, 28 July 2023, 08:03:15 »
Started re reading the red rising series in anticipation for the new book coming out soon! Just finished Morning Star

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #332 on: Thu, 10 August 2023, 11:18:07 »
I recently finished reading "Glucose Revolution" by Jessie Inchauspe.
Haven't delved into any diets or stuff like that but very informative book about how the body processes food and its impact on glucose/fructose/insulin levels, referring to recent studies etc.
Have followed the tips throughout this book and have felt very good - no brain fog, better sleep, energy levels are steady throughout the day. And I've lost a few kilos as well, just like I wanted. Without really switching out any particular food or the occasional snack.

Next in line is "Scary Smart" by Mo Gawdat, about AI and such. Given the AI craze, it's probably best to not be too naive and be vary on its impact in the near future.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 August 2023, 11:21:44 by funderburker »

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline smarmar

« Reply #333 on: Sun, 13 August 2023, 17:35:45 »
Show Image
(Attachment Link) " alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Hey, nice. Recently listened to Alan Watts reference it.
I didn't really know how in depth this book got until I finally gave it a read. In my opinion there is just way too much info—which might sound weird, I know—but it is packed with story example after story example. There are great, inspiring points throughout, but man, it's kind of a slog.

This is a surprisingly refreshing and uplifting read:

https://www.goodreads.com/zh/book/show/87040.Gathering_Moss

I would not expect a book with this title to be of any interest to me. But man, it has hellogood ratings.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #334 on: Sun, 13 August 2023, 19:49:05 »
301541-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
I love me some Stephen King.  :cool:

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #336 on: Mon, 21 August 2023, 15:55:32 »
dune, the third time at this point :D also been picking up some christian literature lately (don't judge)
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline Tactile

« Reply #337 on: Sun, 03 September 2023, 10:04:36 »
302298-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #338 on: Sun, 03 September 2023, 18:56:49 »
Chainsaw man by Tatsuki Fujimoto I guess. It's hard for me read so I mostly just read manga because there is a more visual element to it (I can't picture things in my mind so manga helps me picture something a lot better as well). The new chapters are kinda slow at the moment but still really like it and looking forward to what happens with all of this buildup with the weapons trying to kill everyone or something. Need more asa too, one of my favourite characters in the whole series

I tried reading the hobbit a while ago and while I did enjoy reading it, just haven't had the commitment to sit down and finish the whole book. Maybe one day I'll go back and finish reading it, I know how important reading is and my younger self used to obsess with reading so maybe I could get back into reading.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 September 2023, 18:59:19 by Rhienfo »

Offline iri

« Reply #339 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 14:25:29 »
highly doubt that it took Pirsig 4 years to write less than 94 words
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #340 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 15:04:12 »
This one was eye-opening. It is controversial and sometimes probably over the top, but quite enlightening nonetheless.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6072353-jewish-history-jewish-religion

Not a terribly long slog, less than 200 pages.

Offline phinix

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 08:06:53 »
This one was eye-opening. It is controversial and sometimes probably over the top, but quite enlightening nonetheless.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6072353-jewish-history-jewish-religion

Not a terribly long slog, less than 200 pages.

Thanks for sharing this one - I will try and find it in my language and buy it. I've read reviews and sounds like a good book to learn a lot about Jewish religion and its history.
Maybe it will help me to understand more that whole war between Jews and Palestinians...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #342 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 08:56:01 »

I will try and find it in my language and buy it.

It is hard to find. Although he was born in Poland and moved to Palestine in 1945, he wrote the book in English (he had taught Chemistry in the US for several years in the 1960s so he was quite fluent). If you are comfortable in English, that is how you should probably read it. Translations are usually problematic anyway.

Offline phinix

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 13:49:40 »

I will try and find it in my language and buy it.

It is hard to find. Although he was born in Poland and moved to Palestine in 1945, he wrote the book in English (he had taught Chemistry in the US for several years in the 1960s so he was quite fluent). If you are comfortable in English, that is how you should probably read it. Translations are usually problematic anyway.

I don't read in English, so will try and hunt one down in Polish, I've seen some copies on sale on Polish ebay, so will try there.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #344 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 12:18:59 »
It's so awesome to see this thread being resurrected from time to time and that - PEOPLE STILL READ!

Since my last post, I've been reading books on happiness, men's initiation rituals and other psychotherapy-related topics to fix up my traumas and turn bad habits and behaviours into good ones that serve me right.

Currently, I'm reading "Build The Life You Want" by Arthur Brooks & Oprah Winfrey. Has some cool nuggets, would recommend if anyone has hard time seeing the good parts of life.