Author Topic: What wears in old Cherry keys?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
What wears in old Cherry keys?
« on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 06:03:26 »
I am considering a mod with reduced-pressure Cherry Blues (spring swap). What exactly wears in old Cherries? If it is just the spring then I would not mind using old Cherry keys for the mod, but if it is the electrical contacts or other surfaces then I would prefer new. What wears in them?

Thanks.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
Re: What wears in old Cherry keys?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 06:41:06 »
The surfaces which slides against the leaf. The bump wears down with use which decreases the tactile feedback.

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 07:24:00 »
The surfaces which slides against the leaf. The bump wears down with use which decreases the tactile feedback.

Decreases the noise as well? I like the Blues, but they have too much feedback! The Browns don't have feedback so much as just a gritty feeling, though I'm now typing on Reds which are press-and-pray unless I want to ruin my fingers and use the bottom-out-and-be-sure method!

It drives me crazy that the actuation point is actually below the feedback point on Blues and Browns. I can easily type on them and get feedback while missing a keypress. I hope that will be less pronounced with weaker springs.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 13:48:20 »
Really the contact leaf is the most likely to be worn rather than the stem. It is a quite thin and delicate piece of metal in comparison to the stems. I have gotten some rather beaten up POS board with clears for example that were so worn they felt linear, take out the stems and put them in a new board and they felt like new clears.
Unless you are sourcing some springs from somewhere like some crazy 45g Korean springs or something, you aren't getting lighter springs than blues from any stock Cherry MX of any other type.

Personally I would just say spend some more time getting to know your reds. I use Poker with reds as my everyday board and I almost never bottom, but have no problems with missed keystrokes. Of course I am no light speed typist either, I only go at around 85wpm or so.