Author Topic: Alternate plate materials than metal...  (Read 2752 times)

Offline __red__

Alternate plate materials than metal...
« on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 18:55:47 »

So, I have now gotten unrestricted access to a laser cutter at our hackerspace.  It's a joy ;-)

Are there any materials which are strong enough to make a plate from that are cuttable with a 40W cutter?

Looking at the MX1As I just mounted on my board I guess there is no reason why I can't have a plate which is twice the thickness of the specified mounting plate as long as the holes are tight.  Would that make acrylic strong enough?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alternate plate materials than metal...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 21:13:06 »
I have assembled an MX mini and the acrylic plate was the full thickness possible from the PCB surface to the underside of the switch mounting flange.  This also makes the plate one of the layers in an acrylic layered case such as the MX mini.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline __red__

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 09:40:00 »
Thanks for the confirmation.  You've flooded me with ideas ;-)

__red__

Offline modulor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 11:33:39 »
Here are some pics to get an idea: http://www.overclock.net/t/1229625/custom-keyboard-w-acrylic-case-from-korea  If this could be incorporated into a standard TKL/Phantom or Poker/Pure platform, I think it would be popular...I know I'd be interested!

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 12:00:29 »
Doesn't the plate mount stabilizers have a concave notch with a certain height that the plate snaps into?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 12:46:51 »
So you use PCB mount and make a clearance hole.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 12:50:23 »
I did not think of that, you can ofc use pcb-mounted stabilizers. If you have a plate that is thick enough to reach the pcb, there won't be place for the wire of the stabilizer though, especially one which is bent in the middle. You would need to cut large clearance holes and a long cut between them to allow the wire to rotate.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 12:52:19 »
Well, costar stabs are plate only and have very tight tolerances for .060 plates.  Cherry stab wires are straight.  The MX mini is basically not plate mounted for any 2x stabilizer key since the plate only touches 1 side of the switch.  The space bar switch has the plate surrounding 3 sides, the 4th being cut away for the stabilizer wire.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 09:43:59 »
after using my backmounted pures for a significant amount of time, i think key when using a less rigid material is to reinforce in more places. a 60% pcb with acrylic plate-mounted switches AND an acrylic plate directly reinforcing the pcb from the rear would probably be just as solid as my alu-backed pure pcb. the nice thing about the rear plate is that you could probably max out the thickness that your 40w laser cutting could make it through too.

btw, i have a quick project that i need material cut for -- an arcade stick controller mounting plate for a mame box. if you'd be willing to take it on, i can pay for materials and time. PM or email if so

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline __red__

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 10:07:01 »
Send me the materials, some scrap (to calibrate the laser) and a pre-addressed and postaged.

You'd then be the only geekhacker with my address and we'd know about the source of the mystery keycap for sure :-)

Ill give you my address on Inc.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 18:59:40 »
The Kinesis and Maltron keyboards have key wells made of ABS plastic. Mind that the folding of the key wells does provide more stability than a simple plate would.