Author Topic: Filco badge removal for painting  (Read 4366 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Filco badge removal for painting
« on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 12:19:17 »
Sorry if this has been covered before; I searched around but didn't find anything.

Is it possible to remove the Filco badge from the front of a MJ2 TKL for painting?  I haven't taken it apart but at the moment I'm assuming it is glued on there.  It seems to me that trying to tape it wouldn't work very well.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Filco badge removal for painting
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 12:27:38 »

it just has 2 little tabs, you can press them out with a paperclip or something.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 12:47:25 »
Ah, good!  Thanks for the obvious answer. I guess I would have found that out if I had taken the thing apart.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 21:50:21 »
That is a lot nicer than the Leopold I painted. The Leopold just had a sticker so once I took it off that was it. Now the board looks weird and I don't use it.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 21:58:56 »
lol.  You don't type with your eyes. :)   I would think it looks better debadged

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 22:57:12 »
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the ones on the front of the TKLs are glued and don't have tabs.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 11:23:05 »
Is it? I just remember there were some of these photos from an old case painting thread and went and found one.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 12:09:13 »
Seems strange that they would attach the front logo differently, but it is possible.  I may have to just look at it.  I'm going to try doing the vinyl wrap thing first, so I can find out then.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 00:30:32 »
I asked this question when I was a newb, and I found out TKL and full size have different mounting. For the full size (like the pic in the 2nd post), you can get something to poke out the label from inside out. For a TKL, there is no pinhole, so you have to gently pry it out. It's just glued on. I'll link that thread when I find it.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 00:33:27 »
Here I'll just copy/paste the post here:

Both full size and TKL logos are put on by sticky stuff in the back of the logos. They're not screwed on or punched on or anything. I took them out by carefully taking an exacto blade and gently pry up one side first, then just took my finger and lifted the rest up. The sticky stuff was still on the back, so I just swapped and pressed the logo back into the carved out hole.

Full size 104 case with logo pulled out. Also notice there are two little holes in that slot, which you can poke out the logo from the inside out if you took the case apart.

TKL case with logo pulled out. Notice the two holes to push out the logo is not present in the TKL case. Only way to take off the logo is use a sharp blade and carefully pry out the logo.

There are the two logo I'm about to swap. There's sticky stuff on the back, so that's how they stick to my fingers.

I replaced the gunmetal colored logo with a pure black colored logo onto this full size case.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=25688.msg505965#msg505965

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 06:31:38 »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline Saviant

Filco badge removal for painting
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 08:05:39 »
Just thought I would chime in about this. Both of my older Filco TKL do not have the holes in the back for the logo but my new red ninja TKL has though so it seems the newer ones may have the holes. I got this in May with the first batch of Red TKL that came into Australia.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 10:20:03 »
Just took mine apart and it does have the glued-on badge.