Author Topic: Is modifying the Poker possible?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline getoffmalawn

Is modifying the Poker possible?
« on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 03:19:14 »
Hi guys, I've got a Poker, and I'd basically like to replace the usb interface with my own, so I can use a custom firmware and do something other stuff. I know that I won't be able to replace the firmware on the chip itself, but is it possible to reroute the matrix from the onboard controller to an external one, i.e. a Teensy?

It sounds crazy, and very, very finicky, but I think it can be done. If someone with a bit more experience than me could confirm or deny this, that would be great.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Is modifying the Poker possible?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 22:26:14 »
Can be done, yes. Can it be don without any knowledge in electronics, unlikely. Sorry Getoffmalawn. I am working on making a re-programmable controller for keyboards, but it would require you to trace the matrix and solder quite a few points.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 22:49:41 »
Yes, possible... but maybe a better idea to pay attention to this custom board project.

Offline getoffmalawn

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 04:22:08 »
What I'm doing instead is removing the PCB completely, and wiring the matrix myself - similar to what was done here: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/the-apple-m0110-today-t1067.html

Thanks for the help anyway!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 10:10:21 »
in that case you'd be better off using the original dox pcb silkscreens and having a few pcbs made.

i believe we lost the files in the grand changeover, but dox should still have them, and they would be welcomed back onto the board if anyone would be willing to upload them again :)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.