Author Topic: GH-122.2017 Mods, features, and additions  (Read 52256 times)

Offline Spaceman1200

Re: GH-122.2017 Mods, features, and additions
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 11:56:43 »
One thing I'm wondering is if there's any chance of adding support for an RGB strip. I know RGB is a meme, but with QMK being able to control strips, it feels kinda wasteful to not have a simple underglow available for the banging acrylic bottom case I'll more than likely be commissioning.

How many pins does it take?  Can you point me to a thread with some design details?

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my GH-122 keyboard.

I'm having problems finding any pics of it, But it should just be 3 to 4 pins.5V,GND and PB pin.
I did find a video on a planck rgb kit
I dont know how much help it will be to this project, But hey, it's something

Offline rpelkey13

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 13:44:53 »
One thing I'm wondering is if there's any chance of adding support for an RGB strip. I know RGB is a meme, but with QMK being able to control strips, it feels kinda wasteful to not have a simple underglow available for the banging acrylic bottom case I'll more than likely be commissioning.

How many pins does it take?  Can you point me to a thread with some design details?

- Ron | samwisekoi

The WS2812 led strip takes 3 pins: VCC, GND, and a single data pin. There is information and a datasheet here https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12025. Some info about using the strip can also be found partway down this page https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firmware/wiki under "RGB Under Glow Mod".

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 15:14:40 »
Yes.  I can do that.  It may take a middle pin, but yes.

- Ron | samwisekoi

- Ron | samwisekoi

The WS2812 led strip takes 3 pins: VCC, GND, and a single data pin. There is information and a datasheet here https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12025. Some info about using the strip can also be found partway down this page https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firmware/wiki under "RGB Under Glow Mod".
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline rpelkey13

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 20:51:12 »
Coolio. Be a great way to add just a little bit more customizability to an already insane board. Can't wait to explain to my case maker the case I need for this board.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 21:54:09 »
Okay, fine.

I said it would take a complete re-route of the controller and all the row/column feed traces to provide a removable numpad.  So fine.  I did that, and here it is. 

Version 2.0 of the GH-122.2017 now with:
  • Modular numpad.
  • Pads for backlight circuit.
  • Pads for addressable RGB LED strips.
This does mean a complete QA and test run will be required, but hey.  What are you gonna do?

Done for the night, me.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 01:21:14 »
Okay, fine.

I said it would take a complete re-route of the controller and all the row/column feed traces to provide a removable numpad.  So fine.  I did that, and here it is. 

Version 2.0 of the GH-122.2017 now with:
  • Modular numpad.
  • Pads for backlight circuit.
  • Pads for addressable RGB LED strips.
This does mean a complete QA and test run will be required, but hey.  What are you gonna do?

Done for the night, me.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Well damn, that's a rather pleasant surprise.  You're creating quite the monster here.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 02:37:07 »
You are awesome - really thanks a ton!
As I assume VE. A Style split/nav block splittable is going to be another reroute, I wont push luck any further, as I am already very very happy with the numpad-split
Winter is coming.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 03:16:19 »
Well damn, that's a rather pleasant surprise.  You're creating quite the monster here.

Seriously.. this thing is great.  I don't need one of these, but I certainly want one!
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 12:08:39 »
Ok, the thing is feature-complete.  I've checked all the items off the list that are done, and struck all the items that won't be done.  (I may do the 6+1 spacebar, so that remains the sole unmarked item on the list.)  However, there are bunches of clean-up tasks to do before I can publish a final layout or physical specs.  And there is still no schedule for this work, although I will note that since Jan 1st, plenty of work got done on the board.

One thing I've already done is add traces and pads to provide access to eight of the internal pins.  I did this because the new controller board used 100% of the external pins, and I want the extreme hobbyists to be able to expand the capabilities somehow.  So more pins are available, although totally optional and unneeded in any use I've foreseen.  Also, I've given up on changing the gutter spacing.  That means that the $20 Unicomp case can still be used.  And a few possible updates could not be made.  Tradeoffs, eh?

So I am going to focus on clean-up, QA, documentation, etc.  I'll continue to post updates as I make significant progress.  Please do not hassle me here or via PM if I haven't released something you want yet!

Also, in parallel to the PCB, I have been working on a reference case, plate and keycap set.  I am not sure how I will release those, but they are coming.  (In fact I have most of the prototype items back from the fabricators already.)

Finally, the new controller wiring means a completely new pinout/matrix.  I will attempt to get the GH-122.2017 (v.2) into Easy Keymap.  Other firmware tools are for others to work on.

That's it for now.  I'll switch over to my CAD machine and grab a current layout and attach it to this post.

Cheers!

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 January 2017, 12:40:41 by samwisekoi »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 13:02:29 »
GH-122.2017 v.2.0.4 Pinouts

Pin   Circuit

D7   COL_1
E6   COL_2
E0   COL_3
E1   COL_4
C0   COL_5
F0   COL_6
C1   COL_7
F1   COL_8
C2   COL_9
F2   COL_10
C3   COL_11
F3   COL_12
C4   COL_13
F4   COL_14
C5   COL_15
F5   COL_16
C6   COL_17
F6   COL_18
C7   COL_19
F7   COL_20
D0   COL_21  (UPDATED 170201)
E7   COL_22
D5   COL_23
D4   COL_24
B6   ROW_A
B5   ROW_B
B4   ROW_C
B3   ROW_D
B2   ROW_E
B1   ROW_F
B0   ROW_G
D1   NUM_LED (PWM)
D2   CAPS_LED
D3   SCRL_LED
B7   BACKLIGHT (PWM)    (UPDATED 170201)
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2017, 10:28:35 by samwisekoi »

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 13:06:37 »

said it would take a complete re-route of the controller and all the row/column feed traces to provide a removable numpad.  So fine.  I did that, and here it is. 

Holy crap, was not expecting that! Wow.

Offline rpelkey13

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 14:07:28 »
Man, this keeps getting better and better. I'm basically committed at this point, just have to work on finding a set with enough row correct caps to cover it. Maybe find some nice cherry profile relegendables if they exist.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 15:12:14 »
Man, this keeps getting better and better. I'm basically committed at this point, just have to work on finding a set with enough row correct caps to cover it. Maybe find some nice cherry profile relegendables if they exist.

I am working on a quote from SP for an inexpensive black/white DCS 122-key set including 20 relegendables for the top row and left function block.  Sadly, they are currently out of black DCS relegendables, or many normal sets would work.  I also have very good pricing from WASD for a 150-key custom set which would enable builders to specify the legends for all of the extra keycaps.  WASD uses OEM-profile ABS keycaps, and do not have a 7u spacebar, but it will be an option.

So there will be one or two inexpensive keycap sets.

Finally, there are a number of SA sets that are coming up in 2017 that will have relegendables.  Some of them are quite nice, if you like SA keycaps.  (I am currently typing on SA keycaps on MX White switches.)

So there are some options for keycap sets.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 16:17:03 »
Given that I'm getting both Dasher and Dancer, I'm thinking one of those is going on the 122 with the extras used for the additional keys.  Hopefully that add-on buy that's looking to run for additional Dasher/Dancer colorway novelty caps actually runs just to lock on some extra caps.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 16:24:02 »
An general question regarding the Upper-bank-jumpering:
can I jumper the complete upper two rows (eg usage in the unicomp case)?

Is it possible to make these areas (F-blocks) detachable (via sockets) or is this technically not possible?
(meaning the case if the F-KEY-Module is not attached)
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 January 2017, 16:29:03 by Phenix »
Winter is coming.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 18:11:02 »
An general question regarding the Upper-bank-jumpering:
can I jumper the complete upper two rows (eg usage in the unicomp case)?

Is it possible to make these areas (F-blocks) detachable (via sockets) or is this technically not possible?
(meaning the case if the F-KEY-Module is not attached)

I am not sure I understand these questions, but everything you mention should be possible.  Perhaps not easy, mind you, but possible.

I will do a Pixel Art collection of the possible configurations.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 18:54:29 »
Attached is an image showing 8 possible configuration options.  I am sure there are more, but these will illustrate the possibilities, I hope.

The horizontal split in BLUE is designed to be bridged, so the upper and lower sections can be bent and/or separated using jumper wires.  The vertical splits shown in YELLOW are not designed to be bridged, so if you cut off columns 1 and 2, the PCB is permanently narrower.  (I suppose a true master could jump between the switch pins, but the PCB isn't designed for that!)

The upper-right section is the controller, and due to space requirements, includes the 6 switch positions shown.  You absolutely can use the controller when it is cut away from the rest of the PCB, but I do not guarantee that you will still be able to use those 6 switch positions.  Maybe you can; just no promises from me.

With the exception of those 6 positions on the controller section, you can make the upper bank be as long or as short as you like.  My example shows it in the F-122/Unicomp 2x12 configuration, but it could be anything up to and including 2x17.  Or as small as the standard ANSI upper row of Escape, then 4, 4, 4, if you like.  (Half-spaces are provided all along the top for that.)

I've shown the controller section tucked under the main body of the keyboard, but as long as all the connections are made, it can be wherever you like.

Again, these are not all of the possibilities.  You could make some weird T-shaped thing if you like.  But hopefully this answers most of the "what can I build?" questions.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 12:46:02 by samwisekoi »

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 15:37:40 »
Adding all of that optionality for cutting the board into segments isn't going to compromise the structural integrity of the PCB for those of us that want it to stay together right?

Offline rpelkey13

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 17:32:21 »
Adding all of that optionality for cutting the board into segments isn't going to compromise the structural integrity of the PCB for those of us that want it to stay together right?

All it's doing is adding silkscreen guidelines and some pinholes to solder to, so there should be no change in the structure.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 17:57:45 »

All it's doing is adding silkscreen guidelines and some pinholes to solder to, so there should be no change in the structure.

What he said.

- Ron | samwisekoi

[EDIT]
Well, if you actually cut the PCB, the structure will be compromised!
[/EDIT]

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 17:59:35 by samwisekoi »

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:00:04 »
Are there any photos you would be willing to share of the reference case prototype?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 22:34:28 »
Looks like a fun project, especially with RGB capabilities. what's the distances between the switch outlines and the edge of the mounting holes? Wondering if I could do a hipro case using the PCB itself as a layer of the case, so keeping the outer dimensions the same as the PCB itself. It's kinda funny trying to keep the size down on a board this size, but it'd be clean to the PCB.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 09:34:29 »
Are there any photos you would be willing to share of the reference case prototype?

Coming soon...

I have not received everything yet.  When I do (assuming all the parts fit) I will provide photos of a case design that works with or without a plate, and provides an inexpensive way to change layouts (e.g. from F-122 to ANSI+50).

Looks like a fun project, especially with RGB capabilities. what's the distances between the switch outlines and the edge of the mounting holes? Wondering if I could do a hipro case using the PCB itself as a layer of the case, so keeping the outer dimensions the same as the PCB itself. It's kinda funny trying to keep the size down on a board this size, but it'd be clean to the PCB.

The mounting holes are .125" in diameter and .125" in from the edges.  You can absolutely make such a case, but please wait for me to publish a physical specification/drawing before you do.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 13:39:34 »
The mounting holes are .125" in diameter and .125" in from the edges.  You can absolutely make such a case, but please wait for me to publish a physical specification/drawing before you do.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Sure thing. I think I'd have a hell of a time getting all the sizes right just off that mockup of the PCB anyhow.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 13:58:40 by donutcat »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 13:47:15 »
OK, two rounds of QA completed.  #1 was a check for shorts at each Teensy pin.  #2 was to clean-up some of the issues discovered by the PCB analysis tool.  (Keyboard PCBs have lots of "special features" that look like errors; I just fixed the errors that ARE errors!)

Anyhow, this looks like the final PCB layout.  As it stands, a test run of qty=10 will be $70+/- USD each.  I'm not ready for that yet, but soon.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 20:34:08 »
OK, two rounds of QA completed.  #1 was a check for shorts at each Teensy pin.  #2 was to clean-up some of the issues discovered by the PCB analysis tool.  (Keyboard PCBs have lots of "special features" that look like errors; I just fixed the errors that ARE errors!)

Anyhow, this looks like the final PCB layout.  As it stands, a test run of qty=10 will be $70+/- USD each.  I'm not ready for that yet, but soon.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Bring it on, Ron. My body is ready.

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:37:27 »

One question, and it may seem insignificant to some, but do you get to choose the colors of the PCB/screen printed legends/guides on it? I am not going to miss this second run after wishing so badly I could have gotten one of the first ones, but I am going to put the PCB on display in my collection until I have a case built for it, and am more comfortable with assembly so that it gets my best work, not my learning work.. will any consideration be put toward the aesthetic value of the PCB?

Offline Phenix

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:52:58 »
I (still) have problems getting it - the numpad is choppable.

how many traces do I need to jumper if I want to enable
board w/o numpad
->jumpered to an say TRRS socket
->to the external numpad pcb
Winter is coming.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:54:04 »

I'd rock this layout hard

Never expected to see split stuff, but will be interesting making cases for them.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:02:42 »

board w/o numpad

If you want a board with detached numpad but still able to use the numpad, it looks like you have 9 traces to jump, 4 columns and 5 rows. If it was 8 I could see a neat double TRRS connection going, but at 9 you're reaching USB C or HDMI territory

Offline Phenix

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:36:01 »
Or some PS2-cables..
Thanks for the info - now I can look for sth
Winter is coming.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 15:13:01 »
One question, and it may seem insignificant to some, but do you get to choose the colors of the PCB/screen printed legends/guides on it? I am not going to miss this second run after wishing so badly I could have gotten one of the first ones, but I am going to put the PCB on display in my collection until I have a case built for it, and am more comfortable with assembly so that it gets my best work, not my learning work.. will any consideration be put toward the aesthetic value of the PCB?

My boards have always been white on black, and yes, some consideration will be put toward the aesthetic value of the PCB.  Personally, I'd like it to look good enough to be on a wall.  We'll see.

board w/o numpad

Hmmm. I think we are talking at cross-purposes here.  Do you want the numpad to be removed and still be useable on its own?  Personally, I'd use a GH-36 for the numpad and just shorten the GH-122, but for the moment, I'll work with what I think is your plan.  I am going to discuss it in two parts; #1 making a 7x20 GH-122 and then #2 re-using the GH-122 numpad.

Making a 7x20 (TKL) GH-122.

OK, let's walk through this for the first time.  I am thinking as I type, so do NOT use this as instructions in the future.  But to give you an idea, here is how I would do it:

1. Carefully slice only the horizontal and vertical splits necessary to remove the GH-122.2017 controller section.  (This section includes 6 switch positions, the Teensy++, the indicator LEDs, the jumper pads for CAPS, COLS 1-17, COLS 18-20, COLS 21-24, and the jumper pads for ROWS A-G.

2. Carefully slice the vertical split to remove the numpad.

3. Determine how you will be mounting the controller section.  For this configuration, I suggest mounting it so the right edge of the controller section aligns with the (newly cut) edge of the nav block.  This keeps the Teensy and the indicator LEDs exposed.  There are two mounting holes above COL_14 to enable this mounting.  Spacers will be required.

4. Connect the 20 COL jumpers using a 0.10"/2.54mm-pitch ribbon cable or equivalent.   Also jump the 2 CAPS+ and CAPS- pads, if desired.

5. Jump ROW A and ROW B from the controller to the 2 labeled pads on the function block.

6. Jump ROWS C-G from the controller to the 5 labeled pads between the alpha and nav blocks.

So that was 20+2+5=27 jumper wires total.  29 if you include the CAPS circuit to the LED on the capslock key.

7. Install the Teensy, LEDs, resistors, diodes, and switches and test everything.  Add firmware, then de-bug and fix as needed.

8. Mount and enjoy.

That is all designed to work.  let's move on to the experimental numpad re-use.

Re-using a GH-122 Numpad on its own.

This will need to be mounted and encased somehow.  That will be difficult, but not impossible.  Also, the left-hand switches (1,4,7,NUM) will be perilously close to the cut edge.  It should work...

1.  Connect the 4 COL 21-24 jumpers using a 0.10"/2.54mm-pitch ribbon cable or equivalent.

2.  Connect the 5 rows C-G somehow to either the controller or the main PCB.  The diodes are on the columns, so those aren't a problem, but the rows don't (as of now) have pads for this purpose.  (Maybe I will add them.)  I think I would use the row pads for Alps switches to connect switch C20 to C21, D20 to D21, etc.  The row connectors are the switch connectors closest to the diodes.  You could also absolutely connect the rows up to the controller.  I may add jumper pads for this purpose, but they are not there yet.

Anyhow, that is another 9 connections to enable re-use of the cut-off numpad.

Sorry there are no pictures, but does that wall of text help?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Phenix

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:24:34 »
yea, it absolutely makes clear what needs to be done.
Looks like just using an GH36 pcb (once available) is easier (interestingly I cant find any programmable numpad pcb for sell (beside winkeyless/gon) - the AMJpad is sold out, and cluepad hasn't a split zero key

Is it odd that I enjoy looking at an complete gh122 the most?
Most of the other layouts are for sure nice, but look a bit.... off..

Winter is coming.

Offline Data

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:53:35 »
The GH-122 is best enjoyed with the maximum number of switches one can tolerate.

It's really a celebration of excessive inputs.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:38:08 »
I for one plan on going full ham with a case that supports all the switches. I'll have to get like 2 WASD custom sets with some FTL shortcuts thrown in for the top bank.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 19:54:12 »
The GH-122 is best enjoyed with the maximum number of switches one can tolerate.

It's really a celebration of excessive inputs.

Absolutely. Haven't started designing it yet (too focused on how to set up the milling machine I'll cut it on), but I fully intend to make a massive, sprawling case for this. I'm thinking of some tall, imposing design element behind the Fkey rows, maybe an avant garde pattern. The thing has to be sovereign, and so far think a shiny, heavy 20's feel would work well.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 10:23:08 »
I recently got an Skidata Board for the relegendable caps - nicely usable for the 122.
I will try in making an large wood case, atleast 1cm bezel (or what something like 6cm be better fitting for such an giant? ;) )
Winter is coming.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 12:56:09 »
A lot of the 2016 model GH-122s have a metal sandwich case with about 1.5cm of bezel; you can look at the 2016 thread to get an impression how that looks.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 13:17:07 »
I added some extra pads for re-using a cut-off numpad.  It was easy, and doesn't impact anything else.

There are pads on the rows between COL_21 and 22, as well as a second set of ROW pads up on the controller.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 00:01:47 »
Any idea when we'll be able to throw money at you for this? I don't want to seem impatient, but I'm getting antsy for a build.

Offline beard

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 04:47:04 »
Hi, I am interested in this, too :)

I don't usually join forums like this because I have no use for small keyboards, but this seems like a great idea.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 11:47:57 »
Any idea when we'll be able to throw money at you for this? I don't want to seem impatient, but I'm getting antsy for a build.

Much as I would like one, my wallet is content to be patient with this one right now.  That and it might be a bit before I can really tackle assembly.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 12:01:57 »
A brief update...

I've received the parts for my planned case, and unfortunately the 3D-printed frame has the same straightness issue you'd expect in something shaped exactly like two 20" PBT spacebars. Or a jumbo banana.  <sigh>  It is currently buried under a couple of pieces of thick sheet metal as I try to coax it into straightness.

In parallel, I have requests for quotes out orders placed for an acrylic sandwich case in the smallest possible form factor for this big boat of a keyboard. So I am trying to have a couple of flexible, inexpensive case options available.

Next, I am working on a couple of low-cost keycap options, one from SP and another from WASD.  Right now, the hardest problem I have there is deciding what possible legends I could use on 150 +/- keycaps.  (The SP option will contain around 20 re-legendables.)  So that is keycaps.

Then there is a plate.  I have an acrylic sample of a universal plate that I will eventually target for stainless steel.  I'd like to make a plate that everyone can use so the volume is high and the cost is as low as possible.

Finally the PCB.  I am doing some clean-ups and virtual circuit tests now.  Once that is done I will prepare a physical specification/drawing for mounting and case design.  And slicing and dicing.  Once that is done, I will do a test run of 10 Beta PCBs, and if my testing works, will ship the others (possibly along with flat-pack case components) to 5 or more experienced builders in the US to prove the v.2 design.  (The US thing is only for postage reasons, including tracking and customs.)

After all of that is done, I will work out a Group Buy model that hopefully includes  EU and Asia/Pac hubs.

That's all the news from here.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 January 2017, 18:34:56 by samwisekoi »

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 13:10:39 »
My ideal case for this is going to be something along the lines of the Sentraq S60-X, thin top/bottom plates sandwiching a back-lit acrylic mid-piece

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 13:52:59 »
Yeah, I can def see legends as being a pretty big issue with this many keys. I'll probably end up getting some custom dye subbed FTL keys for at least the topmost row. I don't know what others are planning for cases, but I've been in contact with someone who I'm working with to make a milled diffused polycarb bottom case and then an upper combined plate/hipro case section of milled hardwood. Definitely not a cheap path, but go big or go home. Might even have the logo for my cable-making business lasered into the bottom of the polycarb. Also, I did some rough math and found that I could fit 6m of RGB strip in the bottom of the case if I really wanted to. Really can't wait to get my hands on one of these to be able to see how big of a project I can turn it into.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 17:26:06 »
Once that is done, I will do a test run of 10 Beta PCBs, and if my testing works, will ship the others (possibly along with flat-pack case components) to 5 or more experienced builders in the US to prove the v.2 design.  (The US thing is only for postage reasons, including tracking and customs.)

If you're taking applications, I'd like to put my hat in the ring. Reworking and diagnosing keyboards doesn't scare me (anymore) and I've got experience building the following:

* Let's Split v2
* Ergodox
* Phantom
* Several other PCB kits including ZZ96, VE.A, and B.87

I also ported QMK to the Phantom, the Tada68, and cleaned up the code on Satan GH60 and Let's Split. I'd like to port QMK to this.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 18:25:49 »
Once that is done, I will do a test run of 10 Beta PCBs, and if my testing works, will ship the others (possibly along with flat-pack case components) to 5 or more experienced builders in the US to prove the v.2 design.  (The US thing is only for postage reasons, including tracking and customs.)

If you're taking applications, I'd like to put my hat in the ring. Reworking and diagnosing keyboards doesn't scare me (anymore) and I've got experience building the following:

* Let's Split v2
* Ergodox
* Phantom
* Several other PCB kits including ZZ96, VE.A, and B.87

I also ported QMK to the Phantom, the Tada68, and cleaned up the code on Satan GH60 and Let's Split. I'd like to port QMK to this.

Yes, that is exactly the sort of experience we will need.  Thanks for the hat.  Accepted.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Data

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 20:07:25 »
A brief update...

I've received the parts for my planned case, and unfortunately the 3D-printed frame has the same straightness issue you'd expect in something shaped exactly like two 20" PBT spacebars. Or a jumbo banana.  <sigh>  It is currently buried under a couple of pieces of thick sheet metal as I try to coax it into straightness.

Blast it with a hair dryer for a few minutes.  Maybe try heating it without the weight first, then apply weight if its own mass doesn't bring it down to level.  I hear PBT responds well to this method.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 01:05:27 »
Had I known we were able to contend for those spots, I would have spoken up sooner. I've not been very active here on GH since I spend most of my time on the subreddit instead, though I've still done quite a bit of somewhat delicate soldering work through both my cable making "business" and several custom builds, including:
-An RS96 build that I later desoldered to sell
-A b.mini ex that I completely soldered aside from the controller components, including 2 sets of switches soon to be a third to change spring weights
-2 iterations of a 101key Ortho custom layout, one version of which actually used a cut up and stitched together PCB from a CM board I had with spill damage, both versions of which ran TMK
- A Soarer's conversion on a 1991 model M122, which was actually my first mech and also my first delve into large boards.

I've also done a fair bit of desoldered and switch replacement in boards that my brother's currently use, a cherry MX board 3.0 and a qfr, some trace repair in those same boards(they were really hard on those boards the first couple months), and Ive also done a wee bit of soldering and repair on a USB hub that I integrated into my Ortho build.

I'm definitely interested in working towards complete QMK support for this board as I'd love to see some RGB shenanigans with it and complete windows compatible keymappings to enable full in game remappability, but I'm also really interested in the idea of having it run Soarer's as well since the possibility is there with the teensy controller. I'm also really intrigued by the different case possibilities for a board of this caliber, and have a CNC case maker contact that is also looking forward for the eventual chance to work with this board.
Chosen or not, I think the only way I could possibly pass up on this board is if I became homeless tomorrow.

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 04:09:33 »
i wouldn't mind testing a pcb for you Ron! Building xp
GH-122 v1
Bx.mini
Alps64
Monarch
Let's Split V2
2 GH60 builds for friends
KUL Re-build for sister

I have alps and mx switches to test with, just incase you are looking for either or, Just shoot me a message on here if you would like my testing help :D