Author Topic: [IC] KS65 - 65% board with a distinctive design | Update 04/07/22  (Read 11449 times)

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
[IC] KS65 - 65% board with a distinctive design | Update 04/07/22
« on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 11:19:02 »

KS65
DISCORD            IC FORM

Hello GH, after processing the input of the IC we're finally ready to present our final version of the KS65.
At this stage we want to give you an update concerning the changes we've made, but also gather some final input.
Therefore we're asking you to fill in the latest form. Depending on this input we'll move to the GB stage or implement final changes.

Main features

Technical details

Dimensions

Weight

Build: approx 1.8kg/4lbs
Unbuild: approx 1.4kg/3.1lbs

Layout

PCB
- Hotswap
- QMK/VIA compatible
- Unified daughterboard C3

Colourways

- Case colours: black, silver and blue
- Plate colours: black and gray

MORE PICS

Pricing

350USD

IC

If you're interested please fill in the IC FORM! All remarks will be taken into account. The IC will determine:

- If a solderable PCB will be added
- Additional plate options

Changelog

- Raised bezel a bit to hide underside of the keycaps
- Fixed plate cutouts
- Removed foam option -> almost no difference in sound. Files will be shared if necessary.
- Tested different gaskets
- (Stress) tested durability magnets
- Improved logo depth

Other remarks

- Plate, gasket and foam files will be shared
- Capped at 30 units to ensure a smooth GB
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 July 2022, 13:11:33 by Sh1zaru »

Offline nFaiz

Re: [IC] KS65
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 11:29:03 »
cool round board glwic

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 12:17:00 »
why does the plate look like that

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 16:17:32 »
The magnets are sure interesting

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 19:01:47 »
Finally something that looks unique.
I dig it and the blue looks nice too though I think something more like a baby blue would be nice too.

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 13:41:40 »
First of all I would like to thanks everyone for filling in the IC already.
If people still have questions feel free to post a comment or contact me on discord!

The magnets are sure interesting

They sure are. They enhance the kb aesthetically by removing the need for external screws and make it easier to build as well.

cool round board glwic

Thanks, appreciate your support!

why does the plate look like that

Swill plate gen with plate stabs. Plate will look different in proto V2.

Finally something that looks unique.
I dig it and the blue looks nice too though I think something more like a baby blue would be nice too.

Thanks! As for the blue, it's something I'll consider if there's enough interest. Currently most people are opting for a silver/E-white/black colour..

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 15:40:04 »
Really interesting board, but lack of variable layouts (no ISO) is a real shame. Good luck with the IC though!

Offline KRY2SOON

• Divine Studios
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 17:19:10 »
I suggest raising the bezel slightly to hide the underside of the keycaps. Nice design

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 December 2021, 06:33:07 »
Really interesting board, but lack of variable layouts (no ISO) is a real shame. Good luck with the IC though!

Thanks. As for the layouts, the goal is to only make 1 (fixed) plate in order to keep the pricing and overhead lower.
Plate files etc will of course be open sourced after GB so you should be able to fit an aftermarket PCB/plate in if you would really like to..

I suggest raising the bezel slightly to hide the underside of the keycaps. Nice design

Thanks! I will look into this but I think it's more the angle of the picture which shows the underside of the keycaps.

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 11:29:42 »
Entries are coming along quite nicely. Below you can find the current findings:

- colours: silver, black, navy and E-white seem to be most popular options. Will look into which ones we'll add.
- 2 tone options: almost 50/50, MIGHT offer it as an option if feasible
- Brass top: will be scrapped due to low interest
- Other plate materials: FR4 seems to be one of the most popular options so we'll look into this as well.
- Solder PCB: quite some interest, will be looking into this as well.

Anyway, I'll be keeping the form open till end of this week so if you still want to influence the results please fill in the IC!

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 12:32:06 »
Thanks. As for the layouts, the goal is to only make 1 (fixed) plate in order to keep the pricing and overhead lower.
Plate files etc will of course be open sourced after GB so you should be able to fit an aftermarket PCB/plate in if you would really like to..

The availability of open source plate files is certainly important and a very appreciable point, excellent!

However, I still do not understand why many boards are offered only with ANSI layout, as if the ISO one were less important: we are always talking about boards of a certain cost, for me it would be preferable to offer the two options and let the GB phase choose. I'm probably wrong, but I don't think a user can be indecisive - or rethink - whether they want ISO or ANSI. The yield and sound of a fixed plate, ANSI or ISO, is too superior even compared to a universal plate: some - few in fact - offer fixed ANSI or ISO plates, and in my opinion it should be a common attitude for all GB .
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 05:41:14 »

The availability of open source plate files is certainly important and a very appreciable point, excellent!

However, I still do not understand why many boards are offered only with ANSI layout, as if the ISO one were less important: we are always talking about boards of a certain cost, for me it would be preferable to offer the two options and let the GB phase choose. I'm probably wrong, but I don't think a user can be indecisive - or rethink - whether they want ISO or ANSI. The yield and sound of a fixed plate, ANSI or ISO, is too superior even compared to a universal plate: some - few in fact - offer fixed ANSI or ISO plates, and in my opinion it should be a common attitude for all GB .

Whilst you're not wrong and do have some valid points I can tell you the reason why we picked the ANSI lay-out with a fixed plate was that the main PCB would be a hotswap one. Also, as it will be a small GB it's just not feasible for us to offer a lot of different lay-outs with different fixed plate options without the price/overhead increasing significantly. To "resolve" this issue we'll open source the plate files so people can use the board with their preferred layout if really wanted. Hope you understand.

Anyway, IC will be open for another 24h and I'll post the final results upcoming week!

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 12:39:28 »
Whilst you're not wrong and do have some valid points I can tell you the reason why we picked the ANSI lay-out with a fixed plate was that the main PCB would be a hotswap one. Also, as it will be a small GB it's just not feasible for us to offer a lot of different lay-outs with different fixed plate options without the price/overhead increasing significantly. To "resolve" this issue we'll open source the plate files so people can use the board with their preferred layout if really wanted. Hope you understand.

If the point is that I can only point out that there are several GBs that offer hotswap PCBs that can support ANSI and ISO together (controversial solution, as in many cases some keys are rotated 90°).
I hope that if the results of the IC Form show a request for a solderable PCB, you can at least work to offer a universal plate: it wouldn't be the best result but it would allow you and your customers not to have to tap into aftermarket solutions to get a keyboard in the right layout. Hope you understand.

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 13:01:39 »
Totally understand your point and thanks for your input.
IC is closed and I'll be for sure considering a solder PCB.

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 14:05:05 »
Totally understand your point and thanks for your input.
IC is closed and I'll be for sure considering a solder PCB.

Thank you :thumb:

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 09:46:00 »
Ok GH here I am with the IC results:

Colours

Black, silver and navy were the winners of the IC.
Additional proto orders of the silver/navy colour will be ordered to ensure a good colour match and that the anodization lives up to our standards.

Two tone options

Will be added maybe as an option. Results were 50/50 so it might be added as an extra..

Brass top option

>50% no. Will not be pursuing proto of this and the option will be scrapped.

Other plate materials

POM and FR4 was requested a lot. Luckily we already have a POM plate so we'll continue to do some more testing with it to see
if it's OK for use with the case. An additional FR4 plate will be ordered and tested as well.

Solder PCB

Was requested by quite some people as well. If feasible it will be added to the GB as well.

Anyway, that's all for now. If there are still any questions feel free to let me know by replying/joining the discord!

Offline logaboga

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 11:44:58 »
That front height is crazy low! Can't figure out if I like it for design's sake or am worried for the gasket implementation.

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 01:04:07 »
That front height is crazy low! Can't figure out if I like it for design's sake or am worried for the gasket implementation.

Gasket implementation is fine and has been tested already. Additional note: the front height =/= typing height. It's a little bit higher

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
Re: [IC] KS65 - 65% board with a distinctive design | Update 04/07/22
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 13:13:58 »
Hello GH, after a few iterations/protos of the keyboard we've implemented the following changes:

- Raised bezel a bit to hide underside of the keycaps
- Fixed plate cutouts
- Removed foam option -> almost no difference in sound. Files will be shared
- Tested different gaskets
- (Stress) tested durability magnets

We're also happy to announce that we're entering the final stages of this IC, and moving towards a GB.
Before we can do this we still want to gather some input regarding the current interest, plates and PCBs that should be offered. This can be done right here.
We're looking forward to your responses!