Author Topic: *NEW* Unicomp-branded Model M mini is HERE!!!  (Read 4786 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
*NEW* Unicomp-branded Model M mini is HERE!!!
« on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 03:57:54 »
Pics to follow shortly.  But this is the EXACT same keyboard as the original IBM Model M 84-key space saver...right down to the color scheme, removable keycaps, and those great buckling springs!!

This thing is a dream to type on.  And was only $69 (shipping included)...as opposed to$125 + shipping for a 20 year old one from clickykeyboards.  THANK YOU UNICOMP!!!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 04:01:28 »
So it's Unicomp branded, huh? Is it new or did they slap a sticker on a refurb IBM?

Offline iMav

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 04:17:42 »
Quote from: xsphat
So it's Unicomp branded, huh? Is it new or did they slap a sticker on a refurb IBM?

Well, there is no Unicomp logo...in fact there is no logo at all.  There is a "blank" where the IBM logo used to go.  This IS the original 84-key space saver Model M manufactured new.  In fact (I just noticed this), the "birth certificate" on the back says it was assembled Aug 28, 2007.  It was assembled FOR ME!!   :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 04:19:25 »
Quote from: iMav
In fact (I just noticed this), the "birth certificate" on the back says it was assembled Aug 28, 2007.  It was assembled FOR ME!!   :)

that is pretty pimpin', dude. I am kind of jealous now.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 04:20:54 »
What kind of connector is it? PS/2 I'm guessing. But is the cord fixed in the back or is there a plug like my 1988 Model M has?

Offline iMav

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 04:26:39 »
What kind of connector is it? PS/2 I'm guessing. But is the cord fixed in the back or is there a plug like my 1988 Model M has?

PS/2 with removal cord...just like the original.  :)

Offline iMav

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 06:17:06 »

I'm quite happy.  I'd like to buy a spare as well.  I emailed them after I received this one to see if they have the supplies available to sell additional ones.  I know that some of you would probably like to have one... :)

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 06:23:24 »
Quote from: iMav

I'm quite happy.  I'd like to buy a spare as well.  I emailed them after I received this one to see if they have the supplies available to sell additional ones.  I know that some of you would probably like to have one... :)

I've never used a buckling spring keyboard. How does it compare to clicky Alps? Is it possible to type without hitting bottom after the activation point?

Offline iMav

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 06:35:37 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
I've never used a buckling spring keyboard. How does it compare to clicky Alps? Is it possible to type without hitting bottom after the activation point?

I've never used an alps keyboard before.  :)

If you are light with your fingers, you need not bottom out.  But it does happen on occasion...but I am typically in the process of releasing pressure when it happens.  It's a bit hard to explain the tactile feel.  There is absolutely no question that you have registered a key press.  A definite click is heard and felt when the spring in the key buckles.  It's quite satisfying.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 13:15:39 »
Buckling springs take much more pressure than Alps do to register, and they are louder than any other switch. Both are very linear and very stable when you press them. With the springs, tension builds slightly while you press that key, then it snaps and the letter shows up on the screen. My Alps keyboards seem smooth throughout the motion.

Offline elmomax

question to iMav
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 December 2007, 13:58:46 »
Where did you buy the unicomp model m mini.... when I searched for the keyboard the price was higher than you  quoted.

Offline iMav

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 December 2007, 14:11:29 »
Quote from: elmomax;2105
Where did you buy the unicomp model m mini.... when I searched for the keyboard the price was higher than you  quoted.

Unfortunately, I own the last Model M mini.  It isn't a current item Unicomp sells.  I lucked out in that they just so happened to have old parts to assemble one last Model M mini for me.