Author Topic: Model M Battel Cruiser Question  (Read 2251 times)

Offline apastuszak

Model M Battel Cruiser Question
« on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 07:43:55 »
I've noticed a trend on a lot of mechanical keyboard discussions (especially on reddit) where there is a trend towards smaller and smaller keyboards.  This is especially popular among gamers.

I'm the exact opposite.  I like them big.  The bigger the better.

I'm using a Model M (circa 1989) with a Soarer's Converter and am thrilled with it.

I'm considering moving up to a Battle Cruiser (PC 122), so I can get all those extra keys and then set them up to do all sorts of cool things.

I am aware that I can buy a PC-122 from Unicomp right now with USB in it, and that's one way to go, but I have a few questions when it comes to more vintage PC-122 boards:

• Are all PC-122 boards terminal boards, or were any made for the PC?
  • Are the cables removable from the old boards?
  • Do any old Battle Cruisers have lock lights?
  • Do Battle Cruisers suffer from the same plastic rivet issue that standard Model M keyboards do

I like the idea of using one with a Soarer's converter.  But tha involves buying an older keyboard that may or may not have rivet issues.  A newer keyboard from Unicomp is already USB ready, but then I can't use a Converter with it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Model M Battel Cruiser Question
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 09:10:37 »
The old ones were all terminals.

Generally the cables are not removable.

As far as I know, none had any lights.

Model Ms all have rivets.

If you are flush with money and handy with your hands, you should move up into the big leagues and get a Model F.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline apastuszak

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 09:34:09 »
Sadly, I am not flush with money, or I would definitely buy a F122.

I have seen at least one post of an M122 with lock lights and a PS/2 cable:

I'm thinking a Unicomp PC-122 might be in order.

Offline apastuszak

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 10:04:19 »
Another question.  I see quite a number of Unicomp M-122s on eBay that are PS/2.  Buying one+shipping+soarer's converter is almost the same price as a new USB one from Unicomp.

Trying to decide whether the Soarer's converter is worth it or not.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 10:47:06 »
I've thought about buying one of the newer Unicomp keyboards.  My coworkers would hate me, but I work at a company that uses an old mainframe system, and it uses all of the PF function keys up to PF24 or so, plus PA1, and PA2.  Back in 2000 when I started, a couple of ladies here still had terminals with those huge keyboards.  I wish I had convinced the IT guy to let me keep one of them!  Back then all I knew about mechanical keyboards was that my Apple Extended Keyboard II was nicer to type on than the crappy Dell keyboards they supplied us with, so I actually used it at work for a few years with a Griffin iMate.

Offline apastuszak

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 11:11:01 »
The big plus, at least for me, is that the Unicomp 122 has lock lights.

Offline apastuszak

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 13:37:42 »
Just bought one off of eBay for $40.00.  Ordered a Soarer's Converter.

I'll have some fun next week when it gets here.

Offline apastuszak

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 14:52:47 »
Another dumb question.

This is the keyboard I am getting:

It looks like there is place in the upper left-hand corner to put some kind of badge.  Is there someplace that sells badges I can put there?

Offline apastuszak

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 22:07:50 »
It looks like there's a spot for a badge of some kind in the upper left-hand corner.  Is there somplace I could buy a badge?  If not, could I have one made somewhere?

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 23:30:20 »
Hi. For my Reuters / Cherry G80-9009, which had a damaged label/badge I ordered a replacement from:

https://www.corpconnect.com

This one:
     Gold Brass Name Badge
     7/8" x 2 3/4"
     Badge Backing : Pin Backing
     SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS : I would like this to NOT have any back. Just smooth and flat.

I supplied the art work wanted.
$10US
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”