Author Topic: Help with ISO and ANSI keycaps please!!  (Read 8376 times)

Offline Ferna52

Help with ISO and ANSI keycaps please!!
« on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:22:50 »
Hi, this is my first post here.

Im having some troubles about the ANSI and ISO layouts of the keyboards.
My question is if i can use ANSI keycaps in my ISO mechanical keyboard (CM Storm QuickFire XT Nordic layout with cherry mx browns) :/     And if is not possible, why not? x_x

Thanks for your time! :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Help with ISO and ANSI keycaps please!!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:34:49 »
The Mx stems in you board will take any key cap with mounting cross; but legends will not match your language layout, nor some keys like left shift, ISO enter that ANSI and ISO layout do not share in terms of sizes. In your board could be 1u modifiers that the standard ANSI has in 1.25u standard. While most alphas could be used, you will have to choose a different setting for the keyboard layout configuration, because you will have legends that do not match your current configuration.

Welcome to GH by the way.

I suppose your keyboard is similar to this:
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:37:06 by ideus »

Offline seville57

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:44:38 »
Hi, this is my first post here.

Im having some troubles about the ANSI and ISO layouts of the keyboards.
My question is if i can use ANSI keycaps in my ISO mechanical keyboard (CM Storm QuickFire XT Nordic layout with cherry mx browns) :/     And if is not possible, why not? x_x

Thanks for your time! :)

I have 2 Ducky Grey/Blue keycaps sets, 1 set in ISO/Nordic layout and the second set in ANSI layout.

The picture shows the ISO/Nordic laser engraved layout set.

This picture shows the ANSI layout set. This set has  blank keycaps.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:27:40 by seville57 »

Offline Ferna52

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 16:00:40 »
Thanks for the answers, now i think i should buy ISO keycaps in WASD keyboards or something X_X

Offline seville57

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 16:10:21 »
Thanks for the answers, now i think i should buy ISO keycaps in WASD keyboards or something X_X

Maxfps in old sweden has some WASD keycaps sets.
http://www.maxfps.se/keycaps

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:55:32 »
I have switched to using ANSI layout keyboards, simply because it allows me to use many more keycap sets. Some of the best keycap sets do not have an ISO version.

Some of the ISO layout keyboards can actually be converted to ANSI, depending on the plate, by resoldering a few switches, but I don't think the Quickfire XT is one of them.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:01:33 »
I have switched to using ANSI layout keyboards, simply because it allows me to use many more keycap sets. Some of the best keycap sets do not have an ISO version.

Some of the ISO layout keyboards can actually be converted to ANSI, depending on the plate, by resoldering a few switches, but I don't think the Quickfire XT is one of them.

Do you need to re-solder switches to change a layout????? How come?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:19:07 »

Do you need to re-solder switches to change a layout????? How come?

The switch for the big ISO enter is in the middle of the cap vertically, between two ANSI switch positions, and you need to move the other one next to it, and add an extra switch by the left shift for a true conversion - compare the pics above :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 17:27:33 »

Do you need to re-solder switches to change a layout? ??? ? How come?

The switch for the big ISO enter is in the middle of the cap vertically, between two ANSI switch positions, and you need to move the other one next to it, and add an extra switch by the left shift for a true conversion - compare the pics above :)

Ah, that, sure, but you also need an additional switch for the |\ keycap.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 02:14:47 »

Do you need to re-solder switches to change a layout? ??? ? How come?

Ah, that, sure, but you also need an additional switch for the |\ keycap.

Actually, when going from ISO to ANSI you end up with one extra switch. The switch next to Enter goes to "\|", Enter switch moves down, left Shift moves across and you remove the "<>" key. You also need to add stabilisers for the left Shift and change the orientation of those on the Enter key.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.