Author Topic: [GB] 3FCT - Ep 1: GMK TA Royal Alpha 610 Inspired Set ~~~~Shipped!!!~~~~  (Read 1359016 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

GB LINK @ MASSDROP: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-ta-royal-alpha-typewriter-keycap-set-2/?mode=guest_open
GB END ON 4th April, 2016

Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy - Ep 1: GMK TA Royal Alpha 610 Inspired Set

These doubleshot ABS keycaps by GMK offer the retro look of the Triumph Adler Royal Alpha 610 typewriter—with a modern twist. Like all GMK keysets (and the original Alpha 610 keycaps), these caps are made from the highest quality plastic: thick doubleshot German ABS in Cherry profile. As these are authentic Cherry, they cost more to manufacture than the PBT keycaps on the market today.

Kits
Base Kit

The Base kit comes in a light gray. To add a modern touch, US-Int sublegends are pad-printed in lime green along with the darker green doubleshot legends.

Green Modifiers Kit
The Green Mods kit comes with lime green modifiers and dark green accent keys. HHKB-specific legends are front pad-printed. This kit includes the iconic lime green CODE key. ISO, Winkeyless, 1800, Whitefox, and most other alternate layouts are supported with correct row profiles.

Light Gray Modifiers Kit
The Light Gray Mods kit comes with the same look as the alphas for a less peppy and more true to the original color scheme. HHKB-specific legends are front pad-printed. This kit includes the iconic lime green CODE key. ISO, Winkeyless, 1800, Whitefox, and most other alternate layouts are supported with correct row profiles

Spacebars
2 spacebars per pack, 1x 6.25U and 1x7U

Pricing and MOQ
Prices in USD
0150250Current numbers
Base Kit--59.99TBD131
Green Mods Kit--77.99TBD122
Light Gray Mods Kit--69.99TBD47
Spacebars7.997.997.99N/A

Support
We need you to promote this GB by putting the below banner in your signature
Code: [Select]
[url=https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-ta-royal-alpha-typewriter-keycap-set-2/?mode=guest_open][img]http://i.imgur.com/7rRYLSn.png[/img][/url]

Thank you
Special thanks to Yanbo from MassDrop for making this set a reality by hosting it on MassDrop; Cristoph from GMK for bearing with me; Ivan for his help with the US-Int legends; and thesiscampe for the beautiful renders.

Thank you also to Triumph Adler Royal for bringing this beautiful colorway with their initial Alpha 610 typewriter.

Finally thank you to the keyboard community and you, whoever's going to buy the set.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2016, 05:37:31 by MOZ »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] GMK TA Royal Alpha 610 Inspired Set
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 17:17:05 »
Approval bump.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 17:40:17 »
Updated the GMK Database.

Aaaaand ordered!

Offline xiaodian317

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 19:31:18 »
Wonderful color set.
Will order on Taobao proxy.

Online iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 19:34:01 »
I need it!

I want to buy 2 sets but damn that price is gonna kill me.

Offline Acerk

• I pay attention to details!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 20:41:10 »
Is this going to look faded like the collectibles, or like a new Triumph Adler? A lot of people where surprised about that in the last TA group buy, as they were drawn in by the faded color scheme.

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 23:56:48 »
Wished the modifiers on base kit were green ,as cyan or ta,but i have to buy :(  :confused:
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Is this going to look faded like the collectibles, or like a new Triumph Adler? A lot of people where surprised about that in the last TA group buy, as they were drawn in by the faded color scheme.

It's going to look new, the TA set used custom colors to  get the aged look, no such attempt is being made here as GMK weren't able to replicate their quality when mixing custom colors. I think the renders are pretty close to what the set should look like.

Offline Acerk

It's going to look new, the TA set used custom colors to  get the aged look, no such attempt is being made here as GMK weren't able to replicate their quality when mixing custom colors. I think the renders are pretty close to what the set should look like.
Thanks! Good job on setting up the group buy  ;)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Moz, any idea on what sort of price drop we can see for the mod kits at different quantities?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
I will ask Yanbo to share those details.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Awesome MOZ!
Needz dis!

Offline Giorgio

Where the prices mentioned in the interest check? I feel a little bit disoriented :-D

Offline Giorgio

Also. No bars.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious

Where the prices mentioned in the interest check? I feel a little bit disoriented :-D

The prices are on massdrop. There's a link to it in the op. =)

Also. No bars.

scoops > bars <3

Offline Giorgio

I know that the prices are on md. The fact is that many decisions were taken without taking money into account. I would have preferred a set which hase beige alphas with green mods. That's 200 bucks vs 110 bucks.

The prices are on massdrop. There's a link to it in the op. =)

Also. No bars.

scoops > bars <3

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious

I know that the prices are on md. The fact is that many decisions were taken without taking money into account. I would have preferred a set which hase beige alphas with green mods. That's 200 bucks vs 110 bucks.

Sorry didn't get that from your original question.
I feel the pain too since this has become a rather pricy set.

I definitely understand the decision of going this route tho, since royal alpha typewriters postet in the ic don't have full green mods either.
This way you can replicate the og look aswell as rock all green mods if you want to. ;D

The diversity is worth the price imo.
Plus you will end up with a full set + additional mods...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
The colored mods vs alpha base mods is one I'm hearing a lot. I was well aware of the cost of this and had initially thought of having green mods in the base set, however people really wanted to emulate the look of the typewriter set and in the interest of diversity, I went ahead with the current setup. Good thing is you have a complete set plus a mod set.

For the other two parts if this trilogy, we'll most likely see colored mods in the base set, and beige mods as an addon.

Offline StormyMonday

Thanks for including proper 1800 support!  :thumb:

I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting for a render of "Part Blue" of the trilogy.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Nice, dawg. At the moment I can afford only the base set, but looking forward to the other sets, and maybe picking up the mods at a later time.

Offline Acerk

The colored mods vs alpha base mods is one I'm hearing a lot. I was well aware of the cost of this and had initially thought of having green mods in the base set, however people really wanted to emulate the look of the typewriter set and in the interest of diversity, I went ahead with the current setup. Good thing is you have a complete set plus a mod set.

For the other two parts if this trilogy, we'll most likely see colored mods in the base set, and beige mods as an addon.

That's awesome. I'm going to wait for that, unfortunately. Thanks ;)

Offline Limewirelord

In for base + mods + AE/N7 spacebars.  Looks gorgeous, look forward to it.  Hopefully this gets off the ground, I was really disappointed that GMK SNES didn't but that had some awful timing.

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
MOZ,

Placing an order on Massdrop, I found something mysterious.

For example, let's suppose I'd like to buy 3 spacebars only and the initial shipping fee is $9.99.
At the order stage, I try to select all 3 spacebars together at a time, but I can't because there is no option like that.
To buy 3 spacebars, I have to click "ADD ANOTHER ORDER" button 2 more times.
BTW, the shipping fee has increased as below.

Obviously it is odd, isn't?

I think 4 more options should be included in spacebars: 3K+AE, AE+N7, 3K+N7, and 3K+AE+N7.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 March 2016, 13:30:58 by luckyryan333 »
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
MOZ,

For example, let's suppose I'd like to buy 3 spacebars only and the initial shipping fee is $9.99.
At the order stage, I try to select all 3 spacebars together at a time, but I can't because there is no option like that.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I think 4 more options should be included in spacebars: 3K+AE, AE+N7, 3K+N7, and 3K+AE+N7.

You're saying that the shipping also increases as you add more spacebars, but really it shouldn't, correct?

Offline luckyryan333

MOZ,

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

You're saying that the shipping also increases as you add more spacebars, but really it shouldn't, correct?

Correct.
No PaiN, No GaiN
More

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
I'll check with Yanbo and update you.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Updated OP with the prices at the current and next drop point.

We're only 1/3 of the way there, come on let's get those orders in!

Offline luckyryan333

Any update yet?
No PaiN, No GaiN
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Any update yet?

Check the post right above yours.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Word I've got is that the system isn't designed to handle multiple orders of spacebars only and that is why the scaling in shipping price is distorted if you buy only spacebars.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Word I've got is that the system isn't designed to handle multiple orders of spacebars only and that is why the scaling in shipping price is distorted if you buy only spacebars.
In other words they aren't making enough money on spacebar only sales? :P

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
In other words they aren't making enough money on spacebar only sales? :P

Going by the slow progress of orders, I think that is where they are making most of the money from :(

Offline luckyryan333

Any update yet?

Check the post right above yours.

Thanks, but the reply I'd like to see is as below.  ;)

Ok. I see. If so, is it possible to add 4 more options I mentioned earlier to "spacebars" section?
I guess it can resolve this issue.
No PaiN, No GaiN
More

Offline jaffers

As good of a set this is, it might not reach MOQ at all. These ****ing people and their taste in ****ty rainbow vomit colour schemes in crappy SP SA profile, really grinds my gears. They don't know quality when they see it.

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
As good of a set this is, it might not reach MOQ at all. These ****ing people and their taste in ****ty rainbow vomit colour schemes in crappy SP SA profile, really grinds my gears. They don't know quality when they see it.

I feel the same way! It might come off as elitist, but as I said in the IC thread IMO people don't appreciate the quality of GMK caps, especially when they've never seen/owned them. They've read somewhere that PBT>ABS and they can get their tai-hai rainbow caps for 50 bucks and that's just that.

I get that not everyone wants to sink the amounts of money into this hobby that some of us are, I even like some of the unicorn-vomit colorways, what I don't get is the complaining and bashing and trolling and discouraging others from joining the drop, that is going on in the MD comments section.

I really hope we'll reach MOQ despite all the haters, would be a shame not to see this set produced.
I like keyboards

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir
I'll be crushed if this doesn't see production, but I see 85 of 150, so we're half way there. 75 orders in 13 days is realistic no?

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
I'll be crushed if this doesn't see production, but I see 85 of 150, so we're half way there. 75 orders in 13 days is realistic no?

It was 88 yesterday and and 86 just a few hours ago.. people are jumping off.. Anyway the order number doesn't represent the actual MOQ for any of the sets because of how MD's system works. Refer to the actual numbers in the top post, we're really only one 3rd of the way.

I get the feeling most of the community knows about this GB by now... I really hope some vendors pick up a few sets.
I like keyboards

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
I am trying my best to get this to reach MOQ, everything from making it available in China, vendors and even breaking the base set into alphas and gray mods. Let's hope for the best.

It was 91 orders last night, 85 now, :(
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2016, 11:36:17 by MOZ »

Offline StormyMonday

Over the past few days the total orders have gone from 88 to 92 to 87 and now they're at 85. I'm not sure that I understand everything that I know about this drop.

Owing to a cash flow issue (too much flowing out and not enough flowing in) I haven't jumped in yet, but I'm going to rectify that presently. Taking the plunge ... now.

OK, so it's still not possible to order a second spacebar kit, without ordering a second base kit. While we're obviously not going to push this set over the MOQ by selling a spare spacebar here and there, a lost sale is a lost sale ... and an unhappy customer. This isn't MD's first rodeo; WTF?

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir
I am trying my best to get this to reach MOQ, everything from making it available in China, vendors and even breaking the base set into alphas and gray mods. Let's hope for the best.

Assuming the worst case scenario here and we don't meet the MOQ, can we work with GMK in any other capacity to get a small run of the keys produced? I'd even pay a premium to get them. You've worked so hard to make this GB a reality I would hate to see it not come to fruition.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder

Assuming the worst case scenario here and we don't meet the MOQ, can we work with GMK in any other capacity to get a small run of the keys produced? I'd even pay a premium to get them. You've worked so hard to make this GB a reality I would hate to see it not come to fruition.

There is a premium though.
It's called ordering more sets. :))
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir

There is a premium though.
It's called ordering more sets. :))

:-* ;)

Offline Limewirelord

First SNES, hopefully not this one either.  My first set I ever wanted was a CCnG, don't let another green set that I want slip from my hands.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
I'm going to try everything in my might (Which sadly doesn't include ordering a whole bunch of sets) to try and make this colorway happen.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Over the past few days the total orders have gone from 88 to 92 to 87 and now they're at 85. I'm not sure that I understand everything that I know about this drop.

Owing to a cash flow issue (too much flowing out and not enough flowing in) I haven't jumped in yet, but I'm going to rectify that presently. Taking the plunge ... now.

OK, so it's still not possible to order a second spacebar kit, without ordering a second base kit. While we're obviously not going to push this set over the MOQ by selling a spare spacebar here and there, a lost sale is a lost sale ... and an unhappy customer. This isn't MD's first rodeo; WTF?

You can add a second spacebar set, just setup your order as you want it, then use the "Add Another Order" button and select No for "Base kit Option"

Offline Phirr

• If you don't work you die.

Is it not too late to split the alphas from the mods? I didn't know massdrop would let you change a drop halfway through. I'm in for the full shebang, but I know for a lot of people the ~$200 for mods and base set is a bit painful. Still a sweet set, love the green, and really hope the drop ends up successful.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

Is it not too late to split the alphas from the mods? I didn't know massdrop would let you change a drop halfway through. I'm in for the full shebang, but I know for a lot of people the ~$200 for mods and base set is a bit painful. Still a sweet set, love the green, and really hope the drop ends up successful.

Definitely will be complicated as people have placed orders. One way would be to cancel all orders and start afresh, second would be to intimate all the participants of the changes (Not sure if this is possible).

Offline StormyMonday

You can add a second spacebar set, just setup your order as you want it, then use the "Add Another Order" button and select No for "Base kit Option"

Thanks for the clarificaton. I saw that it was necessary to add an additional base set, in order to add a second spacebar kit. I didn't notice that you could delete the second base set, afterwards. I'll contact MD to get my order adjusted.

I confess that I did grab my chest when I saw the price with that second base set added to my order!

Offline geniekid

Just put in my order!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I'd get the mod set, but it is too expensive.  There are many, many keys therein, but about half of them I would not use.

if only there was a mod set with just ANSI TKL keys (and 1x Code keys too).

Sort of like a "Modifiers 2" kit with numpad, ISO and winkeyless keycaps in it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ