Author Topic: What is the most useful piece of tech you have purchased lately (or ever)?  (Read 73210 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: What is the most useful piece of tech you have purchased lately (or ever)?
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 09:13:24 »
A phone.
I don't know why this wouldn't be on someone's list of top purchases.

A phone is the one piece of tech that I wish could be un-invented, think how much better the world would be without them.

I'm going to assume you mean the current implementation of smart phones?  I do miss the days when a cell phone was only good for calls and some amount of texting.  But smartphones have allowed me to keep in contact on an hourly basis with people I otherwise wouldn't be able to on an even semi-regularly basis (geekhackers), so for that I am very thankful. 

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 09:44:59 »
A phone.

A phone is the one piece of tech that I wish could be un-invented, think how much better the world would be without them.

A modern phone with tactile buttons would be #1 on my list

Would be cool if the touch screen could fake physical buttons somehow. That would be a win-win.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 11:31:40 »
A phone.

Would be cool if the touch screen could fake physical buttons somehow. That would be a win-win.
I absolutely loathe having to "type" on a smartphone. I don't see why some kind of tactile response couldn't some day be implemented into the screen--Some kind of intense, proximal vibration or holographic force field layer (a la the Trek Holodeck)  :cool:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 11:53:00 »
A phone.

I'm going to assume you mean the current implementation of smart phones?  I do miss the days when a cell phone was only good for calls and some amount of texting.  But smartphones have allowed me to keep in contact on an hourly basis with people I otherwise wouldn't be able to on an even semi-regularly basis (geekhackers), so for that I am very thankful.

I find myself ignoring phone calls and texts that aren't from my primary contacts.  Just because I'm sick of being tethered.  I tell my clients to e-mail me... it's faster.  What do they do?  Call me.  In the middle of the night.  While I'm driving.  While I'm... well you get the picture.  They are literally more trouble than they're worth, because they're generally the low rent pay for my hobbies clients.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 12:25:29 »
A phone.

I find myself ignoring phone calls and texts that aren't from my primary contacts.  Just because I'm sick of being tethered.  I tell my clients to e-mail me... it's faster.  What do they do?  Call me.  In the middle of the night.  While I'm driving.  While I'm... well you get the picture.  They are literally more trouble than they're worth, because they're generally the low rent pay for my hobbies clients.

When the office I work at started out the owner here actually put his and another partner's cell phone numbers on the answering machine for people to call if they had something urgent that they needed.  That lasted for about 6 months before the partner got really sick of getting random phone calls about tax questions and tax planning at 3AM so he made the owner take it off.

Things like that are what I don't really like about cell phones now.  Not that long ago, it wasn't only acceptable but rather it was expected that you would leave a message for someone and they would return your call when they got the message, whereas now people get upset if I answer the phone and won't give out someone's personal cell number so they can get their answer right away.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 13:48:36 »
If going with "lately" than I have to say - the Roost stand. It's a wonderful and portable laptop stand so can work anywhere and don't need to hump over my screen anymore. Been saving me a lot of back & neck pain since I got it. A bit on the expensive side but worth every penny! :)
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 15:04:20 »
If going with "lately" than I have to say - the Roost stand. It's a wonderful and portable laptop stand so can work anywhere and don't need to hump over my screen anymore. Been saving me a lot of back & neck pain since I got it. A bit on the expensive side but worth every penny! :)

I have one from logitech that they stopped making- the alto stand.  It's great!  I even have a separate one just in case I need an extra.  Glad I did, because the price escalated.  I paid $30 for it when it first came out.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 15:08:08 »

I have one from logitech that they stopped making- the alto stand.  It's great!  I even have a separate one just in case I need an extra.  Glad I did, because the price escalated.  I paid $30 for it when it first came out.

The price for that is just crazy. Good thing you got them for 30$ though. So not only it's a stand but it has a built-in USB hub? That's a nice feature to have. Never can have too many USB ports (I'm looking at you, Macbook), right?
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 15:28:41 »

The price for that is just crazy. Good thing you got them for 30$ though. So not only it's a stand but it has a built-in USB hub? That's a nice feature to have. Never can have too many USB ports (I'm looking at you, Macbook), right?

And it gets better... the hubs is powered. And has ports on the back and front, and cable routing.  I'm not sure why they stopped making them, because they are awesome.

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 22:20:41 »
A phone.

I'm glad your experience is positive.  I feel like people have reached the point where we are too connected to these devices.  At work, sometimes I stop for a minute while I'm eating at the cafeteria and look around to see everybody staring into their phone.  It's an overwhelming amount of folks who cant put these things down for a while.

And it gets better... the hubs is powered. And has ports on the back and front, and cable routing.  I'm not sure why they stopped making them, because they are awesome.

We need t-shirts that say...  "the hubs is powered!" 

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 09:10:00 »
A phone.

I'm glad your experience is positive.  I feel like people have reached the point where we are too connected to these devices.  At work, sometimes I stop for a minute while I'm eating at the cafeteria and look around to see everybody staring into their phone.  It's an overwhelming amount of folks who cant put these things down for a while.

Completely agree, the dependence on them is more than a little ridiculous.  To play devil's advocate to the cafeteria point (and any other time-killing smart phone use), people used to just read the newspaper or magazines while they were waiting in those situations.  We've just shifted to a different medium of ignoring the people around us.  :P

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
A phone.

Completely agree, the dependence on them is more than a little ridiculous.  To play devil's advocate to the cafeteria point (and any other time-killing smart phone use), people used to just read the newspaper or magazines while they were waiting in those situations.  We've just shifted to a different medium of ignoring the people around us.  :P

Absolutely true.  There is one big difference though, young women were not reading the newspaper whilst driving their car into other cars or pedestrians.  But back then, they were still messing with makeup in the car or doing their hair. 

Ok, so positive contribution to the thread...  In the last year I think my most enjoyed piece of tech would be my desk top speakers, JBL lsr305.  I really enjoy listening to them.

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 May 2016, 00:45:04 by shortround »

Offline Altis

17-Inch MacBook Pro. Yes, 17 inches.

I know what you're thinking -- "They haven't made those in years!". True, but 1920x1200 resolution on a 16:10 17" laptop screen is absolutely glorious. No scaling issues, tons of screen real estate. Easily the best TN display I've seen, and I'm quite picky about that.

Best part is it cost a fraction of the cost of any new MacBook and is in perfect condition. Sure it won't be my gaming or photo editing machine, but for programming, school, and day-to-day stuff, it's brilliant. I sure hope Apple brings back the large model sometime soon.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO

I know what you're thinking -- "They haven't made those in years!". True, but 1920x1200 resolution on a 16:10 17" laptop screen is absolutely glorious. No scaling issues, tons of screen real estate. Easily the best TN display I've seen, and I'm quite picky about that.

Best part is it cost a fraction of the cost of any new MacBook and is in perfect condition. Sure it won't be my gaming or photo editing machine, but for programming, school, and day-to-day stuff, it's brilliant. I sure hope Apple brings back the large model sometime soon.

I've had mine for almost ten years now, still going strong! Isn't my WoW machine anymore but it's still great for what you mentioned :)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling

I've had mine for almost ten years now, still going strong! Isn't my WoW machine anymore but it's still great for what you mentioned :)

Ten years? Man most people go through a small handful of Windows laptops in that time period.

Offline smarmar

Ten years? Man most people go through a small handful of Windows laptops in that time period.
I still use my 10-year-old 23" iMac for low-mid intensity editing/streaming/etc. It has been growing less useful of late and I fight the urge to just recycle or sell it. But that display screen is too nice!
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline Potatoes

Someone gave me a generation or two old Kindle and I'm getting a surprisingly amount of use from it. Basically it's my room remote. Have it set up to control the lights and fan, Roku (Plex server, spotify, Netflix, Hulu), and of course great for reading and very light gaming and browsing (screen isn't great...).

Offline Rad

A phone.

I absolutely loathe having to "type" on a smartphone. I don't see why some kind of tactile response couldn't some day be implemented into the screen--Some kind of intense, proximal vibration or holographic force field layer (a la the Trek Holodeck)  :cool:
Blackberry patent

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Someone gave me a generation or two old Kindle and I'm getting a surprisingly amount of use from it. Basically it's my room remote. Have it set up to control the lights and fan, Roku (Plex server, spotify, Netflix, Hulu), and of course great for reading and very light gaming and browsing (screen isn't great...).
We got to borrow an iPad from work and it's been used a lot lately by the wifey. They're one of those things where you might not feel like you need it, but if you get one you can have a surprising amount of fun with it.
I think I'll even go as far as to say that for my mothers' needs a tablet would be fine. But she wants her PC.

The most useful piece of tech I bought lately, certainly not EVER, was my powerbank. It's hella nice having something like that with you on long drives.

Offline gohono3

I just got the Amazon Echo last week and I'm excited to try it out, but I'm paranoid it will record my every move so I haven't even unboxed it

Offline Saiph

I just got the Amazon Echo last week and I'm excited to try it out, but I'm paranoid it will record my every move so I haven't even unboxed it
If you're worried, I can take it off your hands :)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Technology-related. No more crumbs, cat fur, lint, etc.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline smarmar

Certainly not high-tech but tech nontheless, the silicone lid to my insulated ceramic travel mug needed to be replaced after the original was lost. I was unaware as to the impact it had on my everyday life until I had to do without it.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
Barely tech related but I found what I believe to be the greatest mechanical pencil I have ever tried.
The Kuru Toga

Just looks like a regular pencil right?
nononono, the lead rotates as you write. This sounds kinda stupid but if you write small like me, this is a godsend.

I never thought I could have such a strong opinion on a pencil.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:59:13 by alexjd99 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Barely tech related but I found what I believe to be the greatest mechanical pencil I have ever tried.
The Kuru Toga

nononono, the led rotates as you write. This sounds kinda stupid but if you write small like me, this is a godsend.

Mmmmm, knurling. 60% of the time, its works every time. Knurling gets my blood pumping if you know what I mean ^-^

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
The Kuru Toga

nononono, the led rotates as you write. This sounds kinda stupid but if you write small like me, this is a godsend.

I just spent a solid minute trying to figure out why the hell a rotating LED is even a feature, much less an important one.  :facepalm:

For the record, it's spelled 'lead' (even though "it" obviously isn't really lead anyway).  :)

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
The Kuru Toga

I just spent a solid minute trying to figure out why the hell a rotating LED is even a feature, much less an important one.  :facepalm:

For the record, it's spelled 'lead' (even though "it" obviously isn't really lead anyway).  :)

Whoops. Actually kinda disappointed goofed up and spelled it "led." :)) Almost as bad as messing up their/there/they're

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
The Kuru Toga

Whoops. Actually kinda disappointed goofed up and spelled it "led." :)) Almost as bad as messing up their/there/they're
I read it as 'lead' for some reason. /shrug

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Lately, it was an ultrasonic cleaner for about ~USD21

So far I've cleaned my Lamy Vista, a whole bunch of key sets, some old coins, I have my doubts about cleaning a watch with it though...maybe just the bracelet.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
The Kuru Toga

nononono, the lead rotates as you write. This sounds kinda stupid but if you write small like me, this is a godsend.

I've been using this pencil for years... all through college.

Eventually I realized I'm too old for writing small..  can't even see it..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #230 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 09:15:16 »
Lately I've been enjoying some truly wireless Bluetooth earbuds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 13:43:07 »

What's weird is.. 

I love reading/ watching reviews of Sound Equipment..

Yet I very much dislike listening to music..

Offline smarmar

« Reply #232 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 11:06:29 »

What's weird is.. 

Interesting. Then, you might be a hardware ****. Do you also enjoy reading/watching reviews of video, computer, and/or heavy machinery equipment?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 11:36:55 »

What's weird is.. 

Interesting. Then, you might be a hardware ****. Do you also enjoy reading/watching reviews of video, computer, and/or heavy machinery equipment?

I like pretty much all machines..

I don't like music primarily because it's a message with no purpose..

Happy sound,   why am I suppose to be happy

Sad sound, ok why sad

I understand the message,  but there's no plot, it's just hey, happy, sad, love, happy, sad, love

What is the musician getting at.. 

One has the capacity to feel,   but that sensory system serves a distinct purpose...

Music listened for its own sake is a pointless invocation of the auditory system.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 11:53:17 »

What's weird is.. 

I like pretty much all machines..

Music listened for its own sake is a pointless invocation of the auditory system.

Same.

I got sick around the time the Nintendo Switch was coming out. I bought it and played BotW the whole time I was sick. Made it a lot easier to get through and passed the time easily.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline sleepy

« Reply #235 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 15:34:52 »
Recently got a small Arduino that I'm setting up to e-mail me about how dry the soil is and how much sun my plant has. Maybe also water it with a servo controller. Very useful!  :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #236 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 16:22:12 »
Recently got a small Arduino that I'm setting up to e-mail me about how dry the soil is and how much sun my plant has. Maybe also water it with a servo controller. Very useful!  :)

ZOMG..  This is xactly what I need for my melons ...

I can't believe I didn't think of using an arduino for this...

It's so obvious.. !!

Offline sleepy

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 16:34:44 »

ZOMG..  This is xactly what I need for my melons ...

I can't believe I didn't think of using an arduino for this...

It's so obvious.. !!

There's actually a groupbuy on Massdrop for a kit that includes everything you should need for it  :) If you're interested: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/seeed-grove-smart-plant-care-kit-for-arduino

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 17:04:41 »

There's actually a groupbuy a kit that includes everything you should need for it  :) If you're interested:

What are you growing this year ?

Offline sleepy

« Reply #239 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 17:07:02 »

There's actually a groupbuy a kit that includes everything you should need for it  :) If you're interested:

Nothing in particular really! Just got some houseplants around. I can only have small potted things as I live in a small place. I have some orchids as well as some vines growing out of a pot, along with a buncha other things. Are you growing anything else besides melon? Fresh watermelon is the best! I can't wait for summer when they're back in season.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 17:14:50 »

Nothing in particular really! Just got some houseplants around. I can only have small potted things as I live in a small place. I have some orchids as well as some vines growing out of a pot, along with a buncha other things. Are you growing anything else besides melon? Fresh watermelon is the best! I can't wait for summer when they're back in season.

I'm not growing watermelon . it needs a very different soil than the rest of the plants.

I --could- grow watermelon, or just buy giant ones for $5 from costco.. hahaha.

I'm growing winter-melons, squash, zucchini, gourds, tomato, chili, bokchoy, chives, sweet pea.

Offline sleepy

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 17:45:21 »

I'm not growing watermelon . it needs a very different soil than the rest of the plants.

I --could- grow watermelon, or just buy giant ones for $5 from costco.. hahaha.

I'm growing winter-melons, squash, zucchini, gourds, tomato, chili, bokchoy, chives, sweet pea.

Oh, fresh chickpeas must be so yummy! Same with bokchoy and chives. I often make my own dried chilis from ones from the store, and I also use chickpeas to make hummus.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 19:18:53 »

Oh, fresh chickpeas must be so yummy! Same with bokchoy and chives. I often make my own dried chilis from ones from the store, and I also use chickpeas to make hummus.

Chili's tough.. If it's not hot enough out,  the chili arn't very spicy/ flavorful.

Offline sleepy

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 11:57:10 »

Chili's tough.. If it's not hot enough out,  the chili arn't very spicy/ flavorful.

What do you cook them in? I love spicy food

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 12:06:43 »

Working on a low fat vegan curry recipe.

It's pretty straight forward to make a vegan curry,  but making it Low fat has thus far been daunting.

Offline sleepy

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 12:09:01 »

Working on a low fat vegan curry recipe.

It's pretty straight forward to make a vegan curry,  but making it Low fat has thus far been daunting.

Oooh I love spicy curries  :)  What kind, Indian/Thai/etc do you make?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 14:01:05 »

Oooh I love spicy curries  :)  What kind, Indian/Thai/etc do you make?

Thai,  I don't like going to the indian supermarket to get their -Legit- spices because everyone there looks at me funny...

Offline JP

A Tardis.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
A Tardis.

Here's the thing..

Because we can't have it, or can't go some where, we really want to go.

But,  Actually given the opportunity , you'd probably just stay home and play League of Legends.

Offline JP

A Tardis.

Here's the thing..

Because we can't have it, or can't go some where, we really want to go.

But,  Actually given the opportunity , you'd probably just stay home and play League of Legends.

Says the person who doesn't have a Tardis  ;D
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.