Author Topic: How to make the blank Filco more blank?  (Read 18798 times)

Offline jrib

• http://www.jrib.net
How to make the blank Filco more blank?
« on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 18:47:37 »
After the responses in my previous thread, I decided to purchase a tenkeyless, brown cherry Filco "otaku" edition which comes with blank keys.

I asked elitekeyboards.com if there was any way to get a version without the words "caps" and "scroll" besides the LEDs but unfortunately it wasn't possible.  However, it was suggested that someone here may be able to give me some advice on removing it after.  So...

Do you have any ideas on how I can remove the words "caps" and "scroll" from the keyboard?

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 19:54:44 »
I thought for a momemt that you were being pissy about it. But I went to the elitekeyboards site and looked at the blank tenless.  
The caps and scroll text stand out like a sore thumb. While I don't encourage you to do this but maybe using a black sharpy, sparingly would do the trick.

Then again maybe not.

It is more noticeable in the picture but yeah, not a good idea.

I think I just took one for the team : )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 21:26:59 »
Quote from: ripster;97992
No, no...wrong place.  I said Sharpie the LEDs to make them less bright.

Nothing a little alcohol (maybe scotch) won't fix.

So how did the Sharpie work on the Windows Key??

It's no big deal. I can use a bit of alcohol to remove it. The sharpie works fine on the windows key. I have some ubuntu stickers coming so that issue will be resolved. For fun I sharpied the LED's but I don't think it made much of a difference. Mine are always off anyways so its no big deal.

Scotch? The smell of it makes me want to barf : )

Offline talis

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 22:32:56 »
You may want to try heading to your local hobby shop and buying a sheet or pre-formed piece of black ABS or similar plastic (they usually sell it for model trains).  You should be able to find something with a fairly mat finish.

Drill a couple of holes in it to line up with the LEDs and taper the narrow edges with a file.  I'd cut it the same length as the pt scr, s/l, pause cluster. It will stand up, but it shouldn't look too un-natural.

Similar to this (note this is made out of a cut up piece of a CD case, and I cracked it while drilling the second hole, was just trying to rig something up quickly).

« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2009, 00:22:51 by talis »

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 00:20:25 »
Removing cured paint from plastic is no simple task. EliteKeyboards isn't going to warrant any damage or endorse any methods of doing what you want to do, but...here are some ideas I have:

Try doing an 8 hour soak of the frame in an alkaline cleaner like Simple Green, this may loosen up the paint enough to go at it with a soft tooth brush, but then again, this might be a waste of time. Simple Green works great for cleaning keycaps, and short periods of time don't cause damage to lettering or coatings.

Another idea I have is using Butyl Cellosolve, which is sold in other products as a graffiti remover that is rumored to be safe on LEXAN panels. So it might just work without hurting the plastic too much. You can buy a quart for $15 here:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/Chemicals_A_F-Butyl_Cellosolve.html

Above all, no matter what you try, you want to avoid abrasives, and anything that requires excessive rubbing.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 01:22:59 »
Risky:  I removed similar (looking) labelling on a PC case with the runny type of plastic cement.  However, this also immediately softens the plastic itself, so you'd probably end up with damage to the texture and any top-coating.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 02:21:13 »
I wonder if you can get Letraset transfers small enough to overwrite those letters. I.e. put black lettering over the top.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 13:59:30 »
You might try oven cleaner.   It's an old model paint stripping technique.   I built models for like 20 years, and it's been a life saver a dozen times.   It doesn't hurt plastic and will take off a lot of different paint if it isn't impregnated printing like on a key.

I like "Easy Off" odorless in the blue can.

I'd try just spraying some on a cloth wearing gloves and rubbing first a test spot somewhere on the board to make sure there's no reaction which there shouldn't be, then the text and see if you get any reaction with the printing, then the next step would be to mask the area, or remove the plastic top part, and spray it onto the printing and let it sit for 15-30 minutes.  Then rinse it and rub it with a brush if you see any reaction, then wipe it down.  Most enamel paint like testors, or even acrylic will just crumple up leaving clean plastic underneath.

My guess is that this is production lacquer however..which it may have a tougher time with...
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2009, 14:11:47 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline bigpook

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 14:17:00 »
I use a 3 or 4 inch plastic drywall knife. Your first time separating the case will most likely cause panic as you think  you WILL break it. The front of the keyboard was the most difficult for me. But it does separate.
I don't see why it would void the warranty, unless of course you actually broke it. Once inside there is not a whole to be seen.
Once you do it once, all further attempts will be easier. It still snaps together nice and tight so its not a worry.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 14:31:45 »
Chimera, I'd read about the Easyoff trick someplace on the web, but I was skeptical, I'll have to give it a try on something.

I don't believe the case is sprayed, it's just a textured mold. Oh, and that little warranty sticker on the bottom self destructs if tampered with.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 16:35:22 »
Quote from: chimera15;98145
You might try oven cleaner.   It's an old model paint stripping technique.   I built models for like 20 years, and it's been a life saver a dozen times.   It doesn't hurt plastic and will take off a lot of different paint if it isn't impregnated printing like on a key.

For model paint removal (i. e. Athearn factory finish), I've had good luck with brake fluid, but it

1)  Tends to discolour the stock black plastics-- with a pattern of white like how chocolate discolours

2)  Makes the plastic more brittle.

It's probably a bit less caustic though than oven cleaner.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 July 2009, 10:22:10 »
To make the keyboard more blank I would go so far as to remove/reroute the default LEDs.  I had considered drilling through the PCB for the inbuilt MX switch LED mounts but am unsure for Caps Lock because there's a circuit trace nearby (the PCB should be clear for Scoll Lock).  This approach would facilitate lighting underneath the keys for an ambient glow if you sprayed the inside of keys metallic or the like.

I had considered re-painting the entire top frame black again after filling up the LED holes:

I tried Quik Epoxy Steel which "can be applied as thick as needed" and "can be sanded, filed, drilled when dry."

I used an xacto to scrape excess and then used some sandpaper, before giving up—the Caps hole was ok, but not so great for Scroll.  I guess I would have to redo this and spray several layers of paint (with wet sanding in between coats) to completely hide this destructive evidence.

Offline nanu

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 July 2009, 11:52:27 »
What you see came off with very light 1500 grit sanding, but of course, so did the textured finish.

I should've kept quiet about this guinea pig!  I don't have many solvents on hand though I don't think... I just tried oven cleaner but it did nothing.

I'll get another can of mineral spirits eventually, though I don't intend to unless I get polyurethane or something >_<

Offline nanu

nada
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 July 2009, 16:05:58 »
I'm am devoid of assorted household solvents.  I just tried chlorine-based toilet bowl cleaner gel that sat for 30 minutes.  I scrubbed it off with paper towel.  Little to no effect.

Maybe I could try puking on it

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 15:49:02 »

nailpolish remover. removes paint but also textures. this might work better on the tenkeyless models since they seem to have a less textured frame. however i am not manly enough to try this on my tenkeyless.

Offline sixty

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 August 2009, 07:45:33 »
Quote from: ripster;105339
Nailpolish remover is 20% acetone and a bunch of other junk.   Makes it a kinda messy cleaner.  Hmm.... this doesn't seem easy does it.

mission blank red escape key also failed. the whole filco coating is peeling off, the lettering is still completely SOLID.

Offline JBert

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 August 2009, 10:17:49 »
Quote from: sixty;105987
mission blank red escape key also failed. the whole filco coating is peeling off, the lettering is still completely SOLID.

Show Image
It looks... meaty.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 14:51:11 »
Quote from: JBert;106008
It looks... meaty.

Yep. Downright scary.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline sixty

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 21:48:02 »
Quote from: ripster;106261
BTW - that's not the keycoating melting.  That's the actual plastic!  There is NO keycoating on that key (no waterdrops on the bottom).

Don't let your girlfriend/wife clean her fingernails over your keyboard.  I don't trust bug repellent (deet) either for the same reason so wash your hands after coming inside.

That is really odd though. I had left this soaking in a cup full of nailpolish remover for two nights now. The state is still unchanged. The plastic has  taken a lighter orange color but other than it did not change from the first picture.

Offline doornail

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 15:36:36 »
I know there has been some mixed results with the stuff, but what about taking the upper shell off and giving it a few coats of vinyl dye?  That should be enough to hide the lettering and still look even overall.

Offline nanu

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 August 2009, 11:25:04 »
I tried Simple Green for 30 minutes.  All it did was dye my sandable epoxy a slight tinge of green.  Clearly the next thing to try would be Rit dye now, since I don't have vinyl dye on hand.

I guess in the end I may resort to painting it since I've already taken away part of the original texture.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 August 2009, 12:01:32 »
Spray a light coat of Plasti Dip on it. Keep it light just enough to cover the paint then the texture will be close. Keeping it a light coat is the key here if you lay it down thick you lose some of the fine texture but it will still look pretty good.

You can pick up Black spray Plasti Dip at Home Depot/Lowes for about $6 it's in the paint department with the spray paints.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline nanu

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 August 2009, 12:24:48 »
I'm tempted to see if I have enough charm to perhaps go in-store with the case and ask to sample some of both.

Offline nanu

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 12:19:47 »
Quote from: ripster;103155
Can you try some solvents on the lettering please?  Maybe just mineral spirits and one of those scratchy green sponges would do it.

I'd like to know what works and since "scroll" is starting to come off...

Half a year later, I got some mineral spirits for some painting.  Results: nothing but stripping away more of the plastic texture.

My best idea to date for blanking black plastic-cased things: black electrical tape.  Use a hole punch to make dots for covering LEDs, or use a hole punch here to make holes for exposing LEDs.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 12:23:38 »
Welly might know how get the lettering off.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 12 February 2010, 13:00:04 »
That is wrong on so many levels.

BTW, the lady in that video is pretty hot.

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 20:20:30 »
Quote from: bigpook;97990

Show Image

i think i just took one for the team : )

lol?