geekhack Community > Input Devices

Bamboo Mouse?

<< < (3/3)

geauxflying:
I might just order one and see how it is.  Mice are mostly throw-away quality, this looks like it’s intended to be on one’s desk for a while. There’s virtually no mouse I can buy and expect to use for very long.

I wish there were a high quality mouse, maybe leather covered or something, just something that doesn’t look ratty after a year of use. If anyone has any ideas, let us know. Some of us are using grandpa’s model F keyboard. I would venture a guess that nobody is using grandpa’s mouse.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Fri, 09 July 2021, 07:28:53 ---Bamboo is not necessarily eco-friendly. There are bamboo farms in China that are definitely not.
The bamboo needs to be eco-certified for me to give the eco-claim any weight.
--- End quote ---
Doesn't help that in most cases they still need an aluminum or plastic subframe under that wood. This mouse is actually odd in that it doesn't do that.

That was one of the critiques when Asus released their bamboo laptop line, it used 60-80% of the plastic and then used bamboo on top of that. Sure it's less plastic but at what cost? Between the glues, bamboo, processing, was it really any better for the environment short or long term? On the other hand, that plastic frame may have helped the laptop structurally making the laptop last longer. It's a double edged sword.

--- Quote from: geauxflying on Fri, 09 July 2021, 20:29:35 ---I wish there were a high quality mouse, maybe leather covered or something, just something that doesn’t look ratty after a year of use. If anyone has any ideas, let us know. Some of us are using grandpa’s model F keyboard. I would venture a guess that nobody is using grandpa’s mouse.

--- End quote ---

Don't expect to ever really see mass produced mice like that.
Good mice are difficult (unlike keyboards) but the real issue is not so much technical but a personal one, mice are highly personal, between hand sizes and holding styles it makes for a bit of a wild west with them. Make the wrong choice and you lose a lot of money on R&D and molds.

There are people who have 3d modeled some popular mice and printed replacement housings (mostly what this mouse was), it wouldn't be too difficult to take that, throw it in cad and modify it to work with aluminum and/or cover it with pretty much anything. Just bear in mind, costs will be quite extreme if you don't have the equipment and skills to do it yourself (probably need a 5 axis). Don't be surprised if you have $1000 (or more) and over a year invested before you get a mouse you're happy with if you have to outsource the milling.

Slywanin:
Not suitable. Here where I live, anything wood in constant contact of water or sweat will have mold growing all over.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version