Poll

I want to see more...

Hand-E-Caps
11 (11.6%)
Animals
17 (17.9%)
Non-Organics
6 (6.3%)
Fantasy Creatures (Thulus/Orcs/Elves/Undead/Faeries)
32 (33.7%)
Boutique Blanks
29 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: Keycap Designs  (Read 25619 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: Keycap Designs
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 11:41:17 »
I'm still waiting on my turntable caps :D I'd like to see one in every color, no joke. If the hoot molds are no more, I'd like to change my poll vote to "non-organics". <3<3<3 :-*

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 11:48:07 »
So, I voted for fantasy and threw in some ideas. Lemme elaborate.

1. Griffon. I think this is a good idea because it can be related back to the Keyng. The Keyffon is some sort of cross-breed between a Keyng and an eagle. However, working in the lion elements and not just the bird elements might be hard, but you're creative ;).

2. Chimera. Again, sort of relates back to the Keyng. Maybe a two headed cap? One is a goat and one is a lion? And possibly throw that on like a 2u key. Or try and capture the essence of the Chimera tails.

3. Hydra. Multiple small snake heads on a cap? Will take.

4. Liger. Probably more of a custom colorway of the Keyng than anything, since the face of a Liger resembles that of a lion significantly (for males at least).

5. A small nature scene playing out. I'm thinking a cap that is basically a hawk swooping down and grabbing a rabbit (to eat). Might be too large or complex.

6. A new take on the Grizzle-key. It's a solid design, but I think you could find ways to improve on it (but I really love bears).

Finally, I adore the Keyng and Keythulu, so more of those is something I can always support. I also love baldgye's idea.

That's all I have for now, maybe I'll come up with another idea.
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Granite | Skull Squadron | Deep Space | Raindrop R2 | Hyperfuse GMK (soon...)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 11:56:21 »
PandaKey

Do it

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 14:15:56 »
I love your animals binge, but wow Orcs! Elves! YES PLEASE!!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 18:06:32 »
On/Off topic.  I can definitely do some figures and have some interesting ideas in the work.  Current cap owners.  What parts about my caps other than the concept (squid/sloth/etc) do you NOT like?  Are the finishes of the keys no good?  Did you find one of my nose hairs?  Do they smell bad?

Just trying to make stuff better for you all :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 18:10:22 »
On/Off topic.  I can definitely do some figures and have some interesting ideas in the work.  Current cap owners.  What parts about my caps other than the concept (squid/sloth/etc) do you NOT like?  Are the finishes of the keys no good?  Did you find one of my nose hairs?  Do they smell bad?

I've only had a Lion Keyng and Keythulu, so my opinion is mited. The only thing I really would like to see is more depth in carving. The detail work on Keythulu is not that "prominent". Lion Keyng V3 looks to have more depth than my v1 or v2

EDIT: i think the better way to explain my comment is that I like more dimension to the design. Keythulu is fairly flat/short and Lion Keyng is more 3D like I like
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 February 2015, 19:50:24 by tigersharkdude »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:19:58 »
What parts about my caps other than the concept (squid/sloth/etc) do you NOT like?

That I don't have enough.   ^-^

Seriously though, this is a hard question.  There aren't many "flaws", especially in your later work (some of the older caps had bowed walls when viewed from beneath, etc).  I will inspect my caps later and try to give a better answer, but if there are improvements to be made I suspect you're aware of them.  ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:23:18 »
I'd like to see the departure from using a cap as the base and go full sculpture. Maybe a smaller platform but it would be cool to see you step away from cap + sculpture on top. More like your lumberjack cap perhaps.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:25:12 »
I'd like to see the departure from using a cap as the base and go full sculpture. Maybe a smaller platform but it would be cool to see you step away from cap + sculpture on top. More like your lumberjack cap perhaps.

Lumberchap is on a cap.  :P 

But I like this!  Similar to GirlDC's designs.   :thumb:

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:46:56 »
...things that interest me that I'd like to see made into keycaps are landscapes (as mentioned before) and machinery.
I really like the idea of keycaps that look like natural materials, I guess a faux finish of some sort... like a resin cap that looked like real hardwood w/woodgrain or bamboo or limestone or flagstone, something like that; kind of like what they can do with concrete. I also think a metal cap with engraving (like on a Holland & Holland) would be super dope.

KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:04:01 »
What parts about my caps other than the concept (squid/sloth/etc) do you NOT like?

That I don't have enough.   ^-^

Seriously though, this is a hard question.  There aren't many "flaws", especially in your later work (some of the older caps had bowed walls when viewed from beneath, etc).  I will inspect my caps later and try to give a better answer, but if there are improvements to be made I suspect you're aware of them.  ;)

I'm fairly detail oriented, but if you were ever one to create a visually pleasing item you'd know that you can grow attached to something or grow to hate it based on the time spent.  Like Punksdead said in his interview... the sculpts are time consuming.  Principal design at certain points becomes more important than finish/polish.  As the artist it's easy for me to be blind to a lot of the things people would find issue.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:07:02 »

I am going to be extremely nitpicky here.  I actually find the cap to be of great quality, but I think you want someone with a critical eye to point out annoying details so you can improve your craft.  Also, please note that my cap crafting skills are considerably more crummy, as evidenced by the defect analysis I have done of my own work.  That aside: Detail-douche mode ENGAGE! 

I own a Lurch collab Grape Drink Keythulhu.  All photos are taken with my phone camera and a 7x loupe.

In this first pic, I have highlighted some simple tool marks.  These are of low importance and are not visible to the naked eye.  As an even more minor thing that irks me, Cthulhu has 3 pupils in each socket.  If you are going to make a character on common lore, little things might create nerd rage.  For this particular example, I would recommend looking at other works which are Lovecraft derivative.  When I was making my Cthulhu mask/costume, I used the Propnomicon blog heavily for inspiration and detail checking.  Of course, the single squinted eyes may be a style choice.  But like I said, I'm trying to nitpick everything here.  Moving on...

In this picture, admittedly not as clear, I have used the red on top of some bad spots.  It looks like you used subtractive carving to make the tentacles, and there are leftover remains of your polymer clay on the original.  In the future, you might want to take a bit more care removing these.  The center tentacle is the biggest offender here.  The defects are macroscopic on my cap, and they really show up at the transition area between injections.  It looks like the first injection was clear to make the design, and the rest of the cap has the mica flecks in it.  If not, then the mica sort of floated up during the set.  Hard to tell, that is just what I reconstruct happened based on the evidence.

On the side there are two issues worth mentioning. 
1. The sprue location is prominent.  It was hard to get a good picture of this elevation change on a dark cap with the mica reflecting so much light.  You might consider moving your sprue holes to a location not on one of the smooth facades in future casts.
2. Fingerprints in the clay.  Details details details.

The underside edge has a few faults.
1. I assume that these are break points where you removed polymer that had spilled over from the mold.  If so, then these are cracks in the crystallinity of glass state polymer, which could be remedied by cutting excess off earlier in the setting process to prevent internal fracture.  If not, then you have large bubbles in your polymer during curing.  You use a pressurized system, yes? What pressure do you use? Do you need to increase it?
2. The inner lip has some extra here.  Maybe just a goober.

So yeah, that is my flaw analysis.  I love the cap, and I look forward to seeing more stuff in the future.  If you want other pictures of something specific on the cap or with better magnification, I can get that for you.  I have access to some serious equipment.  50x, 100x, 200x, 2000x-10,000,000x? I can do that.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 19:26:00 »
Thanks!  If any of those details concern you please let me know.  That is a thorough writeup and I can see each of the defects and lack of refinement you've mentioned.

The Keythulhu V1 will not be changed, but with information like this I can adjust my concept of a finished key.

Offline Redeemd

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 00:48:56 »
Make a street shark keycap and i will give you all my money

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 02:57:08 »
Are lord and savior WizBro would be legit...
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:35:30 »
I would love to see you take a stab at some Japanese folklore. I'm thinking Tengu, Oni, Dragons, Inugami, etc etc.

Here's some examples;

What do you think? :cool:

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 12:10:13 »
I would love to see you take a stab at some Japanese folklore. I'm thinking Tengu, Oni, Dragons, Inugami, etc etc.

Here's some examples;

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I like your style man :)  I'd love to remake one of my existing characters like this... Maybe a Teng-oot :3

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 20:24:04 »

Here's some examples;

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I like your style man :)  I'd love to remake one of my existing characters like this... Maybe a Teng-oot :3

Sounds dope! Maybe you can sketch one out?  I heard you're pretty good. :))

Offline robotox

• Gimme them purple caps, brother.
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 05:52:52 »
Submitted a vote for Fantasy Creatures.  Maybe it's just my lingering penchant for Ghostbusters, but I think a Slimer keycap would be absolutely amazing and really play to your strengths (at least as I perceive them) as a keycap designer. 

Another fantasy-themed one could be the Nazgul mask from the Lord of the Rings movies, which I also think you'd do a fantastic job with (pun intended). 
HHKB (dental banded, lubed, black/gray), Corsair K70 with MX Blue RGB, Ergodox with MX Blue.

"If a man empties his purse into his head no man can take it from him. An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Ben Franklin

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 02:02:12 »
If you need some inspiration for new key ideas then you might want to have a look at this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goetia-The-Lesser-Solomon-King/dp/087728847X/ref=pd_sim_b_27?ie=UTF8&refRID=16W20M4JCCW6JJPDYMZN

as long as you don't mind looking at a book on magick. It depicts deamons that can be summoned. There are a few examples found via the links on this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_demons_in_the_Ars_Goetia#Prince_Seere

but don't blame me if something bad happens

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 10:53:20 »
If you need some inspiration for new key ideas then you might want to have a look at this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goetia-The-Lesser-Solomon-King/dp/087728847X/ref=pd_sim_b_27?ie=UTF8&refRID=16W20M4JCCW6JJPDYMZN

as long as you don't mind looking at a book on magick. It depicts deamons that can be summoned. There are a few examples found via the links on this page

As if my extensive collection of art by the Knights Templar and various cults wasn't enough :p

This thread isn't so much for inspiration as seeing if people are expecting something from me.  I'd like to open it up to whatever, so if people want to suggest things like this I'm down to explore.

Offline thefebruaryman

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 12:03:53 »

As if my extensive collection of art by the Knights Templar and various cults wasn't enough :p

This thread isn't so much for inspiration as seeing if people are expecting something from me.  I'd like to open it up to whatever, so if people want to suggest things like this I'm down to explore.

Love the history of the knights of the templar, hope I find out where all that gold got to one day!

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 14:26:29 »
Just throwing out ideas that I think would be sweet:

*A Beholder
More

*A Portal Weighted Companion Cube
More

* Shark/Shark Face
More

* Cheshire Cat
More

Offline btctopre

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 17:23:09 »
+1 for Cheshire Cat-inspired cap. Binge would be the perfect maker to produce them too.

Offline thefebruaryman

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 04:56:10 »
+1 for Cheshire Cat-inspired cap. Binge would be the perfect maker to produce them too.

I second this. Love that cat. In topre please  :thumb:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 15:03:14 »

Agreed
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 15:19:55 »

Agreed

+1 more.  My 2c though in that it should be more in the style of Alice (the video game - bottom of the 3 pictures above).   :thumb:

Short of that, the second Beholder above or something similar with giant eye would be amazing.  So many possibilities for color combos in the center of the eye!
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 20:34:45 »
Cheshire cat would be cool, as long as it isnt topre >_>

Offline 3K

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 09:01:09 »
Just tried to form something too.
More

(it's supposed to be the Cheshire Cat)

Would be cool to see Binges interpretation!

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 11:04:50 »
Just tried to form something too.
More
Show Image

(it's supposed to be the Cheshire Cat)

Would be cool to see Binges interpretation!

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 11:47:46 »
lion keyng with dreadlocks :-X
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:52:00 »
lion keyng with dreadlocks :-X

HOT idea :) I'd love to make that happen.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 08:02:45 »

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 23:56:03 »
Prettyboy(or I guess girl) elf face with long hair. Make it look like Thranduil from the Hobbit movies and you can call it Key Pace lulz.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 00:33:41 »

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 07:01:03 »
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 11:14:21 »

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 12:16:56 »
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Pdub

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 22:51:09 »

My collection of original sculpts grows every time I feel a design needs refinement.

Hey I'm STILL unhappy with what I'm producing, but I'd like to get an idea where people see my talent is put to the best use.

You won't be stopping me from creating what I want or force my hand to make something I don't want.  It'd be nice to see some organized public opinion.  With the options I've provided in the poll I feel you can ask for just about anything and then leave comments with your vote.

So I never see any of these for sale or trade. Definitely looking forward to getting a keythulu and an Orc! Looking great Binge!

Baller?  YEAH!

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 01:26:44 »
Well, for whats its worth, (as someone who hasnt had bingecap) kinda of sick my KB just gas artisans in 2 rows for the most part. Be awesome to see some, like homers at least (spookey eyes?, not gonna be deep sculpt, but could go oncave/convex), Mods or like multi pieces (obviously more intensive).
Out of curiosity (ive only seen like glitter) what objects can be molded in the plastic? I've yet to see some steampunk-esque small pieces/gears in a cap, though I spose thats not requiring of sculpting =\
Hanafuda cards are something I really want on my keyboard, but have no idea how  :(
(man rengar would be sick, but rito _-_)

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:13:24 »
I have a keycap by Nubbinator with gears inside of it actually.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 12:37:01 »
I know we have enough skull caps, but I always thought a Dia de los Muertos one would be neat.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 20:55:39 »

Don't wanna get all expecty on you, just hoping that there will be more tri and quad shot versions of caps like the Orc, looks ****ing sweet.

Just as an aside, I reckon it would be sweet to see some caricatures of notable people from notable events, you know, not gonna really give any examples but just a thought.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 14:45:36 »
I have a keycap by Nubbinator with gears inside of it actually.

Show Image

Thats dope. What's the cap called

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 15:08:25 »
A clockwork heart