Author Topic: :~$ynth  (Read 312216 times)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
Re: :~$ynth
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 19:42:22 »
Estimate 3-4 weeks

Decided not to buy since I'm a Topre user. Wanted some other fellow to get a chance to use this product but once there's a Topre stem I'm not hesitating!

Have you ever done resin casting? You should research SAFE pressure pots prior to wasting mold and resin casting materials.
Use of a SAFE pressure pot in both mold casting and resin casting well net much higher quality results.

I also suggest purchasing a used toaster oven to help with post curing both the mold and resin as it increases the shore hardness of the casted resin piece and the mold.
never use the toaster oven again for any food products.
You will poison yourself.

Also perform all casting in a well ventilated room.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #451 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 19:43:40 »
For anyone interested, you can read our hands-on review here:

https://keykollectiv.com/2016/06/15/keykollectiv-workshop-hands-on-with-ynth/

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Great review!

What release agent did you use with the :~$ynth   ?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #452 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 21:46:12 »

Extremely positive review!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #453 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 22:22:14 »
I didn't help him either.  Seriously we tried to talk about it but we kept missing each other lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #454 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 11:19:43 »

Great review, thanks for your insight. Looking forward to providing some feedback as well very soon.

Offline MrDaddio

« Reply #455 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 12:34:41 »
So when using super sculpty, do you harden the key you have sculpted in the oven? Is that safe for the synth?

Offline WidgiePidge

« Reply #456 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 07:37:41 »
So when using super sculpty, do you harden the key you have sculpted in the oven? Is that safe for the synth?

Synth would easily withstand the temperatures required to cure the sculpey polymer clay.

Offline hossfly

« Reply #457 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 19:36:49 »

What release agent did you use with the :~$ynth   ?

I'm interested to know what type of mold release you use also. Have you tried Pol-Ease 2300 by Polytek?

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #458 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 17:43:03 »
So I've been playing with the :~$ynth for a few days and having a lot of fun learning with it. I've never cast anything before so the process was entirely new to me. I read up on some of the maker threads here and went for it!

I know there are lots of bubbles and flaws in what I have so far, but I'm really amazed how this tool makes this craft so accessible to someone that's never done it before. I'll be trying some new things with it, getting better materials and tools.

Thanks Binge!

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #459 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 18:02:14 »
So I've been playing with the :~$ynth for a few days and having a lot of fun learning with it. I've never cast anything before so the process was entirely new to me. I read up on some of the maker threads here and went for it!

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

I know there are lots of bubbles and flaws in what I have so far, but I'm really amazed how this tool makes this craft so accessible to someone that's never done it before. I'll be trying some new things with it, getting better materials and tools.

Thanks Binge!

Those caps look awesome!

Offline Reigning Hell

• Forever Fiending 4 a V2
« Reply #460 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 19:10:26 »
Wow, I should've snagged this when I saw it on techkeys :( Is thi sthe best place to be updated on when a restock happens?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #461 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 19:38:08 »
I'm going to lurk hard on any new updates. Jesus this thing is cool :-*

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #462 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 23:59:15 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Thanks Binge!

Very well done :) perfect example of its usage as a template and learning tool.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #463 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 21:28:04 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Thanks Binge!

+1000

If that was a first attempt, they are fantastic!

Was the :~$ynth designed to work well with Lego?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #464 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 00:01:15 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Thanks Binge!

+1000

If that was a first attempt, they are fantastic!

Was the :~$ynth designed to work well with Lego?

binge mentioned in a video that it was made with lego in mind, since its what a lot of people who do resin casting use
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 12:54:24 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Thanks Binge!

Question about the initial silicone pour...are you putting anything underneath the synth, such as clay? Or just plugging the holes and pouring?

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #466 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 16:32:46 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Thanks Binge!

Question about the initial silicone pour...are you putting anything underneath the synth, such as clay? Or just plugging the holes and pouring?

Yes, I used a bit of play-doh around the bottom of the box and pressed the Synth onto it to prevent the silicone from flowing beneath it.

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #467 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 21:21:28 »
Much want, though cant see price on tehckeys >_>

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #468 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 02:24:57 »

its $95 CMIIW

looks like i need it too cant wait to get restocked  :p

Offline Cofain

« Reply #469 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 09:51:33 »
Thats awesome. Can't wait to buy :)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #470 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 10:01:30 »

$85 Shipped

Offline jediofthecode

« Reply #471 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 23:58:12 »
Any idea when these will be back in stock ? Really want to get one of these.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #472 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 16:30:10 »
Probably about 3-4 weeks

Offline hippiepete

« Reply #473 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 09:50:59 »
Probably about 3-4 weeks

cool beans! cant wait

Offline project2501

« Reply #474 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 22:19:05 »
Super interested in a topre version of $ynth.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #475 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 15:02:50 »

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #476 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 15:05:16 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #478 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 07:47:41 »
Probably about 3-4 weeks
Soooooooooo.... hey.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #479 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 09:03:33 »
Probably about 3-4 weeks
Soooooooooo.... hey.

Just in case there was some question about interest in this glorious, infernal contraption... hi.

Is this sort of like nuclear fusion? Always about 30 years away?

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #480 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 10:41:45 »
Probably about 3-4 weeks
Soooooooooo.... hey.

Just in case there was some question about interest in this glorious, infernal contraption... hi.

Is this sort of like nuclear fusion? Always about 30 years away?

I think its more of a SoonTM situation

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #481 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 08:34:43 »
These should have shipped to me last week...will inquire now for an update.

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #482 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 13:30:16 »
These should have shipped to me last week...will inquire now for an update.

oh please i really want one of these for my birthday at 23. hope i wont missed it this time. :(

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #483 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 17:13:54 »
Today I tested my homemade Topre stem in the Synth, and I'm sad to report that the design of the synth won't permit the Topre switch housing. The cap gets close to clicking down, but the inside walls of the key are just a little too thick to let the housing in all the way. I can definitely modify the synth base to allow for the housing to fit, but I had hoped I wouldn't have to.

I know this tool wasn't necessarily designed to produce Topre, but a boy can dream.

145070-0

Just a heads up to those people that had the same idea that I did.

The synth itself works great for it's intended purpose. It's a wonderful sculpting platform, and a great way for beginners to produce clean MX keys without having to do the work to make a custom underside. I had some initial quality control concerns about my particular synth, but they've been addressed and I don't have anything negative to say about the process.

I can't wait to see future improvements and designs of this tool.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #484 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 07:44:01 »
Today I tested my homemade Topre stem in the Synth, and I'm sad to report that the design of the synth won't permit the Topre switch housing. The cap gets close to clicking down, but the inside walls of the key are just a little too thick to let the housing in all the way. I can definitely modify the synth base to allow for the housing to fit, but I had hoped I wouldn't have to.

I know this tool wasn't necessarily designed to produce Topre, but a boy can dream.

(Attachment Link)

The synth itself works great for it's intended purpose. It's a wonderful sculpting platform, and a great way for beginners to produce clean MX keys without having to do the work to make a custom underside. I had some initial quality control concerns about my particular synth, but they've been addressed and I don't have anything negative to say about the process.

I wonder exactly what part is making contact.  The issue you are describing is not a problem I had with my prototype.  TMX DWI jack was made using a synth.  We can probably reduce thickness or reshape the walls a bit to be more forgiving and less exact if tolerances are breaking this for makers.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #485 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 08:01:54 »

(Attachment Link)

I wonder exactly what part is making contact.  The issue you are describing is not a problem I had with my prototype.  TMX DWI jack was made using a synth.  We can probably reduce thickness or reshape the walls a bit to be more forgiving and less exact if tolerances are breaking this for makers.

I'll do some tests and find out.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #486 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 11:41:41 »
The restock is on its way and should hit early-mid next week.  Subscribe to Techkeys newsletter if you would like to be notified when they are available for sale.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #487 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 12:15:51 »
The restock is on its way and should hit early-mid next week.  Subscribe to Techkeys newsletter if you would like to be notified when they are available for sale.

I don't understand the message in the background... but hype.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #488 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 01:10:03 »
Synths are back in stock! I've bought one, let's see how hard this business is. Two questions: when will they ship? What will they be valued at for customs proposes?

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #489 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 01:47:24 »
its readyyyy, yeah i got one :p

Offline Kenda

« Reply #490 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 01:50:35 »
Oh yeah manage to get one this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #491 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 01:53:23 »
I wonder how quickly they'll sell out. I'm only awake so early because of exam results, so I'd usually be up in another few hours... Quite lucky I think!

Offline Kenda

« Reply #492 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 01:55:30 »
I've been waiting for this. So been checking their website all the time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #493 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 02:11:40 »
Yep yep.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #494 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 04:33:12 »
Everybody making them blanks! Get some!

I don't know why, but it took me a few months to mentally grasp how the :~$ynth works :cool:

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #495 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 13:04:45 »
Picked one up! Very interested in the material side but I am totally lacking in the artistic department. Hopefully my partner is going to get involved and sculpt something up  :D

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #496 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 09:38:18 »
And I picked one up too. Free international shipping is amazing news.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #497 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 09:39:50 »
Mine was shipped today!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #498 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 12:24:01 »
and purchased...

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #499 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 13:18:59 »
Got my synth! Looks great, but the stem pieces does not fit into the base. :( Is this a manufacturing defect or am I missing something critical here?

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2016, 13:23:27 by fendent »