Author Topic: :~$ynth  (Read 310369 times)

Offline fendent

• * Maker
Re: :~$ynth
« Reply #650 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 13:08:31 »
has anyone tried casting blanks from GMK cherry profile? seems that the key doesn't sit all the way and silicon slips inside. OEM seems to sit perfect.

It's expected that you will need to remove material from the inside of the cap for it to rest flatly on the synth

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #651 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 13:08:57 »
has anyone tried casting blanks from GMK cherry profile? seems that the key doesn't sit all the way and silicon slips inside. OEM seems to sit perfect.

You'll need to remove some material from the underside of the cap for Cherry Profile keys to work properly.

EDIT: Sniped by fendent
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 13:32:29 by dgneo »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #652 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 13:31:03 »

You'll need to remove some material from the underside of the cap for Cherry Profile keys to work properly.

Same deal with SA - out with the dremmel!

I've attempted 4 caps so far, I'm getting less bubbles each time (no pressure pot) but the only one that's actually usable is the first :))

120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Jpecina

« Reply #653 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 23:24:47 »

I've attempted 4 caps so far, I'm getting less bubbles each time (no pressure pot) but the only one that's actually usable is the first :))

Are you using a fast setting resin? I noticed that the slower curing ones tend to yield the least bubbles

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #654 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 02:01:25 »

Are you using a fast setting resin? I noticed that the slower curing ones tend to yield the least bubbles

It's the half hour smooth on one, was hoping to learn what effects what (temperature, time in the mold, pouring technique...) relatively quickly but all I've learned is that excitedly throwing way too much unmeasured resin down the stem hole with no care at all gets better results overall than carefully measuring and pouring, and that the orange dye I bought isn't dark enough, or white resin was a bad choice.

The answer appears to be staring me in the face when written like that...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline alveeno

« Reply #655 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 23:41:42 »
Got my Synth. Qtip's dont fit the sprue holes and cherry profile caps need to be trimmed underneath to fit onto the synth :*(
Tfw you have to now scavenge for old legos to make a mold

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #656 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 23:46:48 »

Got my Synth. Qtip's dont fit the sprue holes and cherry profile caps need to be trimmed underneath to fit onto the synth :*(
Tfw you have to now scavenge for old legos to make a mold

Do you need any help?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline alveeno

« Reply #657 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 16:13:42 »
Casted using synth today, stem insert is stuck, I thought I applied vaseline to the right spots but guess not? How do I get it out? :P

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #658 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 16:39:15 »
Casted using synth today, stem insert is stuck, I thought I applied vaseline to the right spots but guess not? How do I get it out? :P

Edit:
Easy way is to put a shoelace through the stem piece, hold the synth base down by stepping on it or something, pull up using the shoelace. It may break the keycap, but make sure you apply proper mold release.
Last resort if pulling it out fails you could use MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) to dissolve/expand the resin. You'll have to let the synth piece soak in it for 1-2 days, and then try removing the resin and stem piece.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2016, 17:15:18 by SoftKeys »

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #659 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 17:04:33 »

Screwdriver through the stem form is how I do it, like in Binge's video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BLycszaglu-/. You can get a lot of leverage this way.

Offline alveeno

« Reply #660 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 22:18:53 »

Screwdriver through the stem form is how I do it, like in Binge's video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BLycszaglu-/. You can get a lot of leverage this way.

rip

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #661 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 23:02:29 »

Show Image

rip

Fwiw, you should be exerting force on both sides of the driver when pulling. Pulling from one side drastically reduces your force directly backing out of the platform. Anyway, the **** does appear to be extremely stuck. Haha. You may need to go a chemical route if that doesn't work.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #662 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 23:04:44 »
Synth stands for

Simply
Yuse
Nplenty
Tof
Hmold release

Offline alveeno

« Reply #663 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 23:43:04 »

Show Image

rip

Fwiw, you should be exerting force on both sides of the driver when pulling. Pulling from one side drastically reduces your force directly backing out of the platform. Anyway, the **** does appear to be extremely stuck. Haha. You may need to go a chemical route if that doesn't work.

I was indeed applying pressure on both sides. I just tried to pull it as hard as I could with my finger tips lol. :)

Anyways, I got it out thanks to vise grips, and a screwdriver & hammer.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2016, 23:45:46 by alveeno »

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #664 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 07:00:44 »

Show Image

rip

I was indeed applying pressure on both sides. I just tried to pull it as hard as I could with my finger tips lol. :)
Show Image

Ha! Wow. The Synth is also good for bending steel apparently. Glad you found another way!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #665 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 07:15:49 »

Show Image

rip

Show Image

Make sure you get that release agent all over.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKEgJ1ZjuyG/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKEiXeIjDdA/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BK1qkx7jjs5/

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Mewsicbox

« Reply #666 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 13:27:53 »
Is there an estimated date when more will be stocked? I had been sitting on the idea of purchasing one, and decided to pull the trigger a day too late!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #667 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 14:12:15 »
Is there an estimated date when more will be stocked? I had been sitting on the idea of purchasing one, and decided to pull the trigger a day too late!

We're working on that.  New revision will be available with the next restock.  Trying to get previous customers a bit of a break for continued support!  We are pushing development for you all :D

Offline Mewsicbox

« Reply #668 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 14:14:04 »

We're working on that.  New revision will be available with the next restock.  Trying to get previous customers a bit of a break for continued support!  We are pushing development for you all :D

Oh awesome! ^-^ I will be stalking for the update then ~ :thumb:

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #669 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 14:44:49 »

Show Image

rip

Show Image

Thanks for the informative and highly enjoyable vids.
Check out our Artisan keys at Primecaps.ca

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #670 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 15:15:04 »

Show Image

rip

Show Image

Thanks for the informative and highly enjoyable vids.

Shill-Binge here:  Follow my IG for more synth tips, doges, and jerked meats.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #671 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 18:00:27 »
I have a quick question about sculpting on the $ynth before I get started. I read in the first post in this thread that it should be okay to use sculpey. If this is correct does that mean you can bake the sculpy onto the $ynth? How easy is the baked Sculpey to remove once you have done your master mold?  I've seen pics of other sculpts that look like they are done with regular grey clay to and I'm wondering if this is the best option?(If this is indeed what they are using it could just be a grey polymer clay)

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #672 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 23:47:57 »
I have a quick question about sculpting on the $ynth before I get started. I read in the first post in this thread that it should be okay to use sculpey. If this is correct does that mean you can bake the sculpy onto the $ynth? How easy is the baked Sculpey to remove once you have done your master mold?  I've seen pics of other sculpts that look like they are done with regular grey clay to and I'm wondering if this is the best option?(If this is indeed what they are using it could just be a grey polymer clay)

Don't expect to keep your original sculpted master unless you use something like epoxy.  Baking Sculpey onto a synth will have the same effect as hardening it on a metal plate.  Try it and see what happens.  The synth will have more edges for the sculpey to grip and therefore create friction if you try and remove.

Just start sculpting, when you have something-- then you ask these questions about curing your master sculpt.  You can make molds of all kinds of things made on the synth.  You can use brushable silicone, clay, epoxy, polymer clay, and wax to name a few.  It doesn't need to be hard to be molded, just mounted on a synth and a sculpt you can stand looking at.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #673 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 00:35:23 »
Someday I'll get one of these...

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #674 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 08:16:42 »
Soon^tm

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #675 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 10:15:22 »

...okay to use sculpey. If this is correct does that mean you can bake the sculpy onto the $ynth? How easy is the baked Sculpey to remove once you have done your master mold?

It doesn't need to be hard to be molded, just mounted on a synth and a sculpt you can stand looking at.

Thanks muchly for the info.

Offline jlavador

« Reply #676 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 00:21:43 »
That Hungrkey is soooo cool, whens the next time I might be able to get one?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #677 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 00:26:39 »
Soon^tm

I have a new cap I really wanted to make on it.  I ended up making it without it.  Maybe its partner will be synth made.

Offline iammbox

« Reply #678 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 23:48:50 »
besides here, is there anyplace to find out when these are in stock again?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #679 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 23:58:00 »
Not really. I am awaiting the next prototype before production starts.

Offline iammbox

« Reply #680 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 00:04:40 »

Damn thanks for the quick response.  Looking forward to it.

Offline BabrahamDinkin

« Reply #681 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 13:53:39 »

Damn thanks for the quick response.  Looking forward to it.

I e-mailed TechKeys on Nov 14th, and this is the response I got:

"We are in the process of creating a prototype for the new and improved :~$ynth.

Between prototypes, testing and manufacturing I think we are at least 5-7 weeks out, but feel free to subscribe to the newsletter to be notified as soon as it is available"

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #682 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 11:38:26 »
Protos are on their way to Binge for testing - the look awesome

Offline pinkbatman

« Reply #683 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 23:06:10 »
Just stumbled across this on IG, very excited to get one when they are back on the market.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #684 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 07:25:31 »

First test complete.

Offline HIAviator

« Reply #685 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 12:13:43 »
Show Image

First test complete.

Looking forward to further updates!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline arielrahamim

« Reply #686 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 17:33:38 »
that's AWESOME

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #687 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 23:39:44 »
Very interested into getting into the artisan game. just wondering if this is still on track to come out in the next few weeks or if I should just go ahead and get an aftermarket v2 of it now?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #688 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 11:42:26 »
I've also contemplating a mold.
In particular for creating caps for myself for Topre and Alps switches.

The Artisan caps out there are fancy, but they're pricey at the same time and not necessary what I'm looking for.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #689 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:19:04 »
Any new update on the V2 synth?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #690 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:25:27 »

V1.5 and it's in production.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #691 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 11:46:22 »

V1.5 and it's in production.

Neat! How is the finish compared to the previous run? I see the yellow cap further up and it looks really smooth, so I'm guessing the V1.5 synth will be too?

Offline HIAviator

« Reply #692 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 13:09:29 »
Any idea when they'll be up for sale?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #693 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 16:55:16 »
Any idea when they'll be up for sale?

Not yet :)  We at HWS don't control distribution.  We designed this tool and with our contacts make sure it gets produced at a reasonable price to make casting and sculpting with a nice tool more affordable than it would be if someone ventured to make a 1-off.  I'm sure techkeys.us will have an answer soon.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #694 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 06:40:49 »
Production has completed and is in route to Techkeys

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #695 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 09:49:12 »

Couple questions about the upcoming synth release that may lead to more questions. Are there very significant differences between this and V1? If one of those differences is say an added topre stem would it be possible to just buy that stem for those of us with the V1 already?  Long shot here but  going off there first question if this is a significant change any possibility of trading in our V1's back to you for an "x" amount off the v1.5 synth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline suparnemo

« Reply #696 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 10:38:01 »
Will topre stems potentially be available in the future?

Offline Pdub

« Reply #697 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 11:37:19 »

I thought they are TMX Stems.

Topre stems are hard to make with metal because metal doesn't flex like silicon does.

There are two ways to make topre stems.
1. Tight fitting and typically needs to have a flexible mold. Marder to make.
2. straight fit, can fall off, easy to make.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #698 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 11:37:20 »

Couple questions about the upcoming synth release that may lead to more questions. Are there very significant differences between this and V1? If one of those differences is say an added topre stem would it be possible to just buy that stem for those of us with the V1 already?  Long shot here but  going off there first question if this is a significant change any possibility of trading in our V1's back to you for an "x" amount off the v1.5 synth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be clear, a topre stem that properly fits will not work with the synth metal.  This is why the stem option is not included.  Topre or Alps support would be achieved with a silicone stem insert which the synth owner could make themselves.

A topre stem was made but it was found that the first version of the synth had two issues which interfered with fit.  This version has slightly thinner walls and a different shape to accommodate Topre switch housings.  The most upsetting thing about making topre fitment is that replacing the standard slider with cherry compatible sliders makes the V1 keys compatible and also allows the walls to be thicker.  We did consider this but decided as a template it would be best to give the maker the choice without compromising compatibility.

Everything else is the same.  The platform height, the registration poles, and the gate/sprue system are identical so molds made with the V1 synth can be adapted into this later version for the purpose of making topre keys etc.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #699 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 18:06:54 »
$ynth butts

158219-0
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done