geekhack Community > Input Devices

Definitive Omron Switch Guide for Mice

<< < (4/44) > >>

E3E:
My Logitech M705 Marathon originally had Himake switches before I swapped them both for Omrons after one switch started double-clicking. 

The Himakes lasted me many many years though, so I have nothing bad to say about them.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: Panp858 on Sat, 29 October 2016, 06:32:41 ---First of all thank you Leslieann for doing so much research.

Atm I have a mice on my desk which uses two D2FC-F-7N(10M) for the main buttons. But differently than expected the case has a white button and no clear point in any color. So this mismatches the information you have given.

Another points is the "Machine switch Numbers". As far as I understood your writing the machine versions are only for component placement systems while the others are for the "retail market" so to say. Anyway what does your sentence "D2FC-F-7N  is Comparable to D2FC-01F" mean in that context. Are these the same products differently labeled?

Thanks for your help!

--- End quote ---
You're welcome.

Button color was in regards to lifespan, for a while used this or painted dots. They abandoned that method in favor of just writing it on the sides

As for "machine"
Yes, I believe they are the same product, just packaged differently for ease of machine installation.
See how these resistors are assembled in a batch for a machine to install them, same thing, but a strip of switches.

They do similar with capacitors and leds, so why not switches. Keep in mind, this is just what I suspect based on the evidence I can find, I have no hard proof of it as trying to track down OEM supplied D2FC-F-7N isn't easy as the internet has become so polluted by people trying to locate them. The best evidence for this comes from Asus, the Spatha mouse comes with D2FC-F-7N's pre installed (it's done by a machine) but the spare switch they ship it with are D2F-01F,  which was meant for hand assembly.

And yes, I do find it odd they use Chinese internal, but Japanese for hand, it probably just came down to source and convenience. The company doing assembly probably has pallets of 7N's in strips ready to go, but someone had to source the individual switches to include.

Leslieann:
Updates and observations:
7n switches
As noted above I found some info about the Asus Spatha mouse which sort corroborates the machine info, but also led to me finding more info about the 7N switch, which apparently comes in both Japanese and Chinese flavors.

I also added a bit about the 3-7 switch, basically assuming that it two has a Japanese and Chinese counterpart.

Something I've personally noticed regarding lifespan,
I have found that at least in my case, that 20M switches are not as durable as 10M switches. While this at first runs counter to Omron, if you remember when I said resting your finger on the button shortens the lifespan, it's possible that the 20Ms are more easily damaged. So while a 10M may be rated for 10mil clicks, resting your finger on it may shorten it to say 9million clicks, while resting your finger on a 20M may shorten it to 5mil clicks.

In all fairness, this could just be a change in my use pattern, a change in Omron's production or Logitech's production as the 20s are a recent change for Logitech and their manufacturing has changed so it could be the supplier. Hard to say, but so far I have not been impressed with 20s.

tp4tissue:
Logitech has the little H shaped plunger bar to reduce over-travel..

Whereas many other mouse housings do not.  like microsoft wmo.. it's just a straight piece..

So if you're comparing , that should be taken into account.  where the H bar would increase the durability of the switch regardless of the switch rating..

OR perhaps that switch rating was only possible using logitech's h-bar..   as in the other way around..

We're never gonna really know because we can't test this.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sat, 29 October 2016, 21:05:10 ---Logitech has the little H shaped plunger bar to reduce over-travel..

Whereas many other mouse housings do not.  like microsoft wmo.. it's just a straight piece..

So if you're comparing , that should be taken into account.  where the H bar would increase the durability of the switch regardless of the switch rating..

--- End quote ---

Actually Microsoft has a special line of switches from Omron (marked with an M or S, I think), however that isn't what I was referring to.

From the OP,
Warning: Keep in mind that these numbers are without any load, and they really do mean ANY load. If the mouse button rests on the switch button or your finger causes it to, then the lifespan will be shortened. Anything touching that button shortens the lifespan. Your mouse may have some slop to prevent this when your fingers are off the mouse, but as soon as you put them on it, the lifespan is probably starting to drop as the weight of your fingers remove that slop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version