Author Topic: IBM KB-8923  (Read 7255 times)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
IBM KB-8923
« on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 11:29:01 »
I am submitting this one for you keyboarding demi-gods out there...

The IBM KB-8923.  It served me well and has taken my abuse for 9 years.  It is retailing now for more than I paid for this one.  I haven't used it much at all since getting the Mac and starting pounding on the Apple wireless keyboard that must have dog crap under the keys.  Then my left wrist started hurting.  

Makes me wonder...did I have a keyboard all along that was incredibly good for my hands and wrist and just not know it?    Is the difference with the pain in my wrist now, because I stopped using the KB-8923?  (I still like the Cherry keyswitches better than the KB-8923, but this Apple keyboard has to GO!)  

Apple will most likely get replaced with a Matias Tactile Pro 2.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
IBM KB-8923
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 11:35:46 »
According to clickykeyboard.com, these are the "IBM Active Response" keyboards.  They do not use the buckling spring mechanism, but rather, a rubber dome keyswitch.  If the rubber dome is "springy" enough, it probably can provide decent tactile feedback.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
IBM KB-8923
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 11:58:37 »
It's well documented that mechanical switches are better on the hands and wrists, so toss that Apple one and something with the Cherry switches you like. I write all day on my computer, 8 hours at a crack when I have something going on, and my hands used to kill me. I bought my first mechanical keyboard and it got worse - until I got used to it. The right muscles got stronger and now I can type all day long with not pain.

Just wondering, do you have the older white model or the newer silver one?

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
IBM KB-8923
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 13:18:47 »
I bought my iMac (I think) in February, so I have the older white model.

BTW, nothing on the new iMac is "silver" or "aluminum".  All gray plastic.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }