Author Topic: Looking for info on a certain model of keyboard  (Read 3365 times)

Offline StevieC

Looking for info on a certain model of keyboard
« on: Thu, 27 March 2008, 08:41:55 »
It's called the MicroSpeed KB105M. an Apple Desktop Bus keyboard for older macs. Trying to find out what kind of keyswitches it uses. Can't take it apart to find out because I'm borrowing it. Can someone offer any knowledge they have?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 March 2008, 15:28:45 »
Just pull straight up on a key cap to reveal what is underneath.  (you can use the patented, xsphat method and use two paperclips as hooks on opposite corners)  ;)

Got any pics?

Offline StevieC

Well I found out what I was looking to learn
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 March 2008, 17:07:59 »
Unfortunately the MicroSpeed has rubber dome keyswitches. I'm still unsure which I'm going to buy. I'm tempted to go with the MicroSpeed and hold out on an Apple Extended II til I can get the version of it that I _really_ want (the M0312)

Offline madmaxmedia

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 March 2008, 17:32:57 »
Yeah, but did you like the way they type? If you had to ask even after trying out the keyboard, then maybe it wasn't so bad.

The Apple Extended I is nice too, perhaps as an interim choice until you find a M0312.

Offline StevieC

It's kinda complicated.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 March 2008, 18:36:11 »
Well it typed okay, and I have borrowed an Extended Keyboard 1. It was okay but it takes up WAY too much desk space. That's one of the two things I like about the MicroSpeed: Small footprint and 4 ADB jacks. The things I dislike about it, however: Rubber-dome keyswitches, the caps-lock key doesn't stay down, which means that you can't tell by touch whether it's engaged, and the keyboard's lettering and such are BUTT UGLY. That said I'll probably stick with it until I can get an M0312. The M0312 is an Apple Extended Keyboard 2 that uses the same make and model of keyswitches as the Apple Extended Keyboard 1. The later M3501 is an Apple Extended Keyboard 2 that uses a different make of keyswitch that's still mechanical but not as loud and has a different feel. I prefer the feel of the M0312. The problem with the Apple Extended 1 was that it didn't have n-key down rollover. The Extended 2 did. At least that's what I'm told. The M3501's I'm testing seem to not like the n-key down test. The MicroSpeed doesn't like it either but seems to survive longer before failing the test.

Offline madmaxmedia

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 March 2008, 19:01:00 »
I'm sure you are aware that the Extended 2 is almost just as big as the Extended ... ;)

I also read that thing about the n-key rollover.

Offline StevieC

This is true.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 March 2008, 19:10:53 »
I am very much aware that the Extended 2 is almost as big as the Extended 1, but it is slightly smaller. While it might not be much smaller, I'll take what I can get. One thing I surely DID like about the Extended 1 is that its curving slope PRECISELY matched that of my Kensington ADB trackball. If it weren't for the Extended 1 lacking N-key down rollover I'd choose it, except for one other issue: the power key's keycap is identical to the rest of the keycaps on the 'board. The Extended 2 has a different shape of keycap for the power key, which I prefer. I also like the fact that the Extended 1 and 2 don't have a "bezel" around the LED's that indicate which lock keys are engaged. The LED's and the labels are simply there with no ugly frame around them. Looks clean, which I like. But the other feature that the Extended 2 has which the Extended 1 lacks: Height angle adjustment. Although this feature is implemented in a rather unwieldy manner in the Extended 2, it is an improvement over the Extended 1 which had no height adjustment at all. Now, if ONLY I could get an Extended 2 M0312 and mod it to match the Blue and White G3 via custom (transparent) keycaps and such...