Author Topic: My Keyboard Army Groweth!!!  (Read 2598 times)

Offline hotlikedimes

My Keyboard Army Groweth!!!
« on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 11:45:17 »
Got my KBT race in today! Pretty happy with it, the blue's feel a lot different (stiffer/firmer) than the BWU blue's, maybe it's the switch mounting style, if my research has informed me correctly, the BWU is plate mounted and the Race is PCB mounted, which according to my additional research should be the opposite, plates should feel a bit more firm and secure, but I guess it's just the BWU build quality.  I love the 70% design, the larger arrow keys are absolutely clutch, and I love how it doesn't need feet to be elevated nicely! I must say I love the design engineering done on it!!! (And for >$90 [I got one of the 'imperfect' ones, which was nothing more than a 1/16th of an inch vertical scratch on the backside of the function keys] I'm very impressed)!

In addition to the KBT Race coming in I picked up a keycap from Team Liquid (the grey horse on blue key) and the korean and vim caps from inlikeflynn (with an added alienhead bonux cap [many thanks if you didn't mean to send that to me I'll be glad to send it back :p]) and threw those on the appropriate keyboards! the ducky is going to be my gaming board and the race, my coding/travel board. Pics included because what's a material good based thread without hardware pr0n!!!!

7955-07957-1

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
Re: My Keyboard Army Groweth!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 13:26:30 »
glad to see they made it to you already! And yes I meant to send you the bonus Alien :)
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 13:45:39 »
Do you think the stiffness might because it's not broken in yet?

Offline hotlikedimes

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 15:56:06 »
Do you think the stiffness might because it's not broken in yet?

Could be, coming from a rubber dome keyboard to the BWU I wouldn't have noticed any break-in period, and then going to blacks, again something completely new so I haven't really noticed any break in period, but if switches do indeed have a break-in period (which most moving mechanical bits do) then I'll be able to report back on it!

glad to see they made it to you already! And yes I meant to send you the bonus Alien :)

Haha cool! It think it fits in, and it's nice having something to accompany the korean flag over there.  I wasn't expecting the caps until tomorrow but USPS pulled through and got them in a day early so I got to have everything together!

Offline hotlikedimes

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 13:31:28 »
Just a little update on the keys, after spending about 40 hours typing on this keyboard over the last 3 and a half days, the keys seem to have lost a little bit of their stubbornness to press and I'm finding that I'm making less typing mistakes due to lack of fully depressing the keys. I was definitely used to the lighter touch required on the BWU and would miss a lot of keys that I use my ring or pinkie finger with. One of the benefits of this though is that my blacks don't seem like pressing a concrete block into a steel bar :)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 21:56:18 »
It's pretty well known that the same switch type on different keyboards can have slightly different stiffness. The most noticeable is mx black switches has a huge variance across different keyboard brands. One other common one is that there are many reports on razer's blackwidow having a lighter mx blues switches than other boards with mx blues. I didn't believe this until I actually played with one. Also, my mx red leopolds seems ever so slightly lighter than mx reds from my CM quickfire.