Author Topic: BLU60 - An open source bluetooth keyboard pcb using the GH60 layout  (Read 9552 times)

Offline llkiwi2006

BLU60 - An open source bluetooth keyboard pcb using the GH60 layout
« on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 23:39:19 »
I've been working on this design for a while and I thought you guys might be interested. It's still in the prototyping stage, but it should be usable fairly soon.

I just got the pcbs and I'll be working on a port of tmk firmware to nrf52 based keyboards.

What do you all think about this design?

Notable features:
- Single controller (using nrf52832) to enable longer battery life
- Compatibility with many 60% cases (anything a gh60 would fit in)
- Multi protocol support planned
    - logitech unifying
    - hopefully usb (by bit-banging 1.1 low speed)
- OTA firmware upgrades planned

Potential features I might look into:
- RGB backlight
- layout improvements?

Source:
PCB layout (kicad): https://github.com/andrewcchen/blu60

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: BLU60 - An open source bluetooth keyboard pcb using the GH60 layout
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 23:44:41 »
Very cool! It'd be neat to have a south-facing LED design. Your current prototype seems to be north-facing.

For me, RGB is definitely an optional feature that I don't need.

QMK or ps2avrgb programming protocols would be best.

Offline llkiwi2006

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 23:54:16 »
Very cool! It'd be neat to have a south-facing LED design. Your current prototype seems to be north-facing.

I'm interested in the advantages and disadvantages of the two. I think I've see keyboards with either. I went with leds on the top because I was worried about backlight leaking under the keycaps, but honestly I don't really know how big of an issue that would be because my current keyboard has the leds on the top.

QMK or ps2avrgb programming protocols would be best.

I've only used tmk, but from what I've read qmk is a fork of tmk with more features added, correct? I'll look into porting qmk then.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 00:05:08 »
I'm interested in the advantages and disadvantages of the two. I think I've see keyboards with either. I went with leds on the top because I was worried about backlight leaking under the keycaps, but honestly I don't really know how big of an issue that would be because my current keyboard has the leds on the top.

Yes, the issue is mainly notable in the usage of Cherry profile (which is vastly preferred among many enthusiasts -- GMK, PBT sets, etc). Cherry profile caps on north-facing switches will collide with the switch itself on R3 (third row ASDF...)

I've only used tmk, but from what I've read qmk is a fork of tmk with more features added, correct? I'll look into porting qmk then.

QMK is a fork of TMK, and is more up to date and regularly updated than TMK. QMK has plenty more features and is much easier to set-up keymaps. It is largely supported with a multitude of PCBs for popular custom keyboards, including the GH60.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 01:27:07 »
Bleed from south facing LEDS is always an issue from the 3rd and numrow because the gaps in the row in front of them are centered which gives you a straight line of sight to the LED.
Different caps make it better or worse, but it takes very little angle to see the led or close to it, a bare metal plate will make it worse.

They seemed like a good idea until I tried a board with them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline southpawengineer

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 15:27:20 »
Ah, finally someone else is using the BL652 module. Pretty good all around.  Also, take a look at the BlueMicro firmware for the NRF52. Might be a good point of inspiration.
I would recommend shortening the length of the traces to your 32.768khz crystal if you can.

Offline 652626737

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 05:25:14 »
Hi, have you finished your keyboard? I am a Chinese player and would like to discuss your results with you