Author Topic: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)  (Read 98839 times)

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

[IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)
« on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:02:20 »
TL;DR:
This is an interest check for a keyboard case. It's made of thick aluminium sheets, laser cut and bent. Bead blasted and black anodized for the finish. It's supposed to be a more affordable alternative to all the awesome but also expensive CNC aluminium cases. The design is simple and sturdy, with integrated height adjustability (6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 degrees) and a low initial row. The plate is laser cut from steel and powder coated, black. The plate is edge-mounted top-mounted. There are different profile versions to decide on - medium, high and high with integrated wrist-rest. We will have to decide which size and layout the case should be adapted to.
The case is high profile and there will be different 60% (Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS) and one 75% version to choose from. This is just the case, plate and screws. No PCB, switches or caps included. All PCBs that have the USB port at the "standard" position on the left will fit - just check if the plate supports the layout you want.

UPDATES:

- made a second build from the samples, more pictures

- got the samples and made a build, pictures

- updated TL;DR
- small plate update
- still waiting for the samples, will arrive soon

- waiting for the samples

- plate update

- final plate design

- updated plate drafts. added banana split and DZ60 support

- first plate drafts

- third google form for choosing your preferred layout

- bead-blasted finish
- screws
- order step size
- pricing

- new renderings of 75%
- first try to determine the plate layouts:
  -> 60% versions
  -> 60% HHKB versions
  -> 60% YAS versions
  -> 75% versions
  -> please read

- decision change: all 60% versions (Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS) AND 75% (-> link top post)
- evaluating the possibility of sandblasting before anodizing for higher quality finish (-> link to post)

- decision: it's a 60%, REALLY?! or is 75%  :-[
- decision: high profile case
- design change: caps sink in 2mm
- design change: added 6° angle
- design change: flathead screws
- new renderings
- question: "everyone gets his 60" or "keep it simple"
- second google form

- first google form

- initial post

75% as well
I'm aiming at a combined GB. So not only the various 60% but also 75%. Here are the renderings that I promised:
182920-0 182922-1 182924-2 182926-3 182928-4 182930-5

"Everyone gets his 60" or "keep it simple"
More
The form shows, that all 60% versions combined make up for well over 50% of the total votes and the vast majority wants the case to be high profile and some wish for a lower angle than 8° degree. Changing the design to make the 6° angle possible might seem like no big deal, but it did take a while. High profile it is now and the caps sink in 2mm deep. Going for a 60% case seems to be the obvious choice after looking at 119 votes. Now there are two possible ways we might go for:

A) Making only the standard 60% with one universal plate. The 60% group is pretty defragmented and this would mean I could probably only rise enough interest for a relatively low production count. The prices would be as already mention when I started this thread. Maybe we would reach around 20 units I guess. So we wouldn't be enough to advance to the more attractive midrange pricing zone.

B) Offer all 60% versions (standard, WKL, HHKB and YAS) so every 60%-supporter gets exactly what he wants, including a plate that fits his version. This way we could get way past the 50 units mark, maybe even higher. But although the overall production count number would be higher than A, the price per unit would still be higher because it is not an order of just three parts anymore but many different parts instead.
Also it would be impossible to name a specific price up front. I would only know the pricing after I know exactly how many orders are safe. I could only estimate a price range and hope I'm not mistaken. Buyers would have to agree to that. Managing all the different orders would also be quite a challenge.

I'm waiting for your opinion on this. I put up a second google form, so I can decide which way we will go. I'm still working out some details with the manufacturer regarding a more complex, mixed order and I hope I can give a rough price range soon.

All the sixties!

I hope you like the new renderings, they now show the different 60% versions with different angles starting at 6 degrees.
I also threw in some more colors. You've seen the classic beige with red accent Enter+Esc Mods already in the first renderings. Here I wanna point out again Wodans work on his HADapter GB awhile ago, which made it possible to make use of the old HAD sets on modern layouts. He'll do another round soon so we can make even more use of the all the HAD sets we can harvest from old G80/G81s.
Since HHKB is pretty popular I looked at some original HHKB models. The Black with red accents are pretty nice, so I tried to ported this style into the GMK color universe.
YAS color theme - well just another try.
The colors should just give you a better impression what a final keyboard with the case might look like.

Here you go:
182274-6 182276-7 182278-8 182280-9 182282-10 182284-11 182286-12 182288-13 182290-14 182292-15 182296-16
182294-17

---

Hi,
More
I'm Plastikschnittstelle and I designed a keyboard case. Why did I do that? Like many of you, I felt that no keyboard from any brand could make me happy. So I looked at some of the custom cases available via GroupBuys at Deskthority and Geekhack. All the solutions I found were CNC milled and they are very sweet. Especially after experiencing some of them at the Mechanicon a few weeks back in Frankfurt, I was really impressed with them. However the drawback is, that they are quite expensive and not all of us want or can afford the price. I have some experience in designs which utilize laser cutting and bending aluminum sheets, and I thought that this method might be perfect to achieve a sturdy design while still be affordable.

181433-18 181435-19 181437-20 181439-21 181441-22

Concept
More
It is supposed to be more a system than a case that focuses specifically on one certain PCB or layout. There is one universal bottom part and different top parts. Top parts are for now medium-height profile, full-height profile and full-height profile with integrated wrist-rest. The one with integrated wrist-rest is at this time no choice because I need a prototype first in order to make sure it is as good as I imagine it to be.

Design
More
Designing a keyboard case is pretty straightforward. Switches and PCB are the main ingredients which require certain dimensions. I added the features I desired and tried to harmonize them with the requirements. I tried to design as less as possible and keep it simple. The decision for a material thickness of 3mm in combination with the mounting method of the plate lead to a pretty wide frame. The thickness should also ensure a rigidity similar to CNC cases and contribute to gain a certain weight. The sides overlapping at the edges is a deliberate choice which should emphasize on the method of folding, rather then trying to hide it. It also exposes the thickness of the material. For the surface finish I made the obvious choice - anodizing. No special colors, black goes well with most keycap sets.

181465-23

Height adjustability
More
The height can be adjusted between four different angles 8, 10, 12 and 14 degrees. Only the one with integrated wrist-rest is not adjustable in height, its angle is fixed at 10 degree. Personally I prefer 12 degree, although I have to admit, that it is the only angle I have tried with the prototype so far. 14 may seem a bit too much for most, but I guess it might go well with old-style keycap-profiles like SA.

181461-24

Keep it low
More
By this I don't mean the profile height or the overall height. What I mean is specifically the "initial" height of the lowest row, the one with the spacebar - I want it to be as low as possible.
If this lowest row starts too high, the case gets uncomfortable to use. Ergonomically that doesn't make much sense, only the addition of a wrist-rest makes too high cases comfortable to use. But that's just my opinion, maybe this is not a concern for you.
There is of course a limit of how low you can accomplish and I think I'm at this limit. In order to compare I suggest measuring the height of switch stems tip. You may take of a Ctrl-cap for example, take your preferred measuring tool and look what you get. My case has roughly 22.5mm (excluding the rubber feet).

181463-25

Plate
More
Especially the mounting of the plate at its outer edges was very important to me. The other approach with some scattered standoff points reaching from the back, through the PCB is something I very much dislike. On the one hand this commonly used approach allows for a thin frame, but on the other hand it influences the typing experience in a bad way. I might be wrong here but the "edge-mounting-method" is the way I want to go with.

Layout
More
The plate of the prototype is aluminium as well. For the final design I consider a steel plate. I'm not a fan of universal plates. This may be good for achieving a higher production count but I wouldn't like to sacrifice stability and therefore get a less good typing experience. I understand that the plate should allow more than just one layout option but not so much that you end up with more openings than material. Especially separating between ANSI and ISO would be very nice, but I'm not sure how much two or more different plates would influence the final price.

No PCB
More
Sadly I can't offer you a combination of case and PCB. I'd really liked the case to be accompanied by a custom PCB, but designing PCBs is not part of my skillset. So we got to stick to what's available. That's why a 65% layout is probably not an option. Keyclack sold a 65% PCB separately some time ago - that's the PCB in my prototype build. 60% is probably the most obvious choice because of the wide availability. I also suggest 75% - KBDfans sell such a PCB separately. I've ordered there twice and I was very satisfied. They answer questions super fast, offer fair prices and I was surprised by the fast delivery. To my knowledge, they are the only "mecha-supply-shop" that offers a 75% PCB separately.

Prototype
More
Some of you may have already spotted the prototype at the Mechanicon a few weeks back. I was really happy to find out, that very good pictures had been taken and already some comments about it popped up. At the Mechanicon I could collect some much appreciated feedback (special thanks to kekstee). My prototype happens to be the version with medium profile. The feedback I got lets me believe, that a high profile will be the more popular one. After pfefferig the medium profile at first I am also more drawn to the high profile now.
The aluminium alloy of the prototype is of lower quality. A higher quality alloy for the final version should result in a slightly better anodizing finish. You can also see the marks left by the tools from the bending process. A protection layer will be added in a final production, so these kind of marks will not be visible.

181467-26
181469-27
181471-28

Pictures
More
The renderings show the following examples:
- SKB60H: 60%, high-profile, @ 10°
- SKB60H: 60%, high-profile, @ 10° (YAS62)
- SKB65M: 65%, medium-profile, @ 12°
- SKB75H: 75%, high-profile, @ 10°
- SKB75W: 75%, high-profile + wrist-rest, @ 10°

182272-29 182274-30 181443-31 181445-32 181447-33 181449-34 181451-35 181453-36 181455-37 181457-38 181459-39

First I wanted to keep the caps as neutral as possible and went with OG classic beige with some HADapter caps but I got bored, so I threw in just a bit of color and also some black. The keycap colors on the 65% version are inspired by this interest check on Deskthority. At the moment the lordzebu (the guy who startet the IC) is too busy right now for running a GB, but I'm sure he'll get back to it, hopefully sooner than later.
The first of the two 60% versions would require a PCB from a GB here at Geekhack. I'm in with two PCBs.
The 60% high-profile show the latest version. Note that the top edge reaches 1mm above the lower edge of a cherry-style/GMK cap. The 75% version with high-profile show an older version where the top edge is at the same level as the lower edge of a cherry-style/GMK cap.
The graphics show the different possible angles, dimensions of the initial height and explosion.

The photos show the prototype which is a medium-height profile version. At the Mechanicon pictures of this prototype were already taken, you can find them over here and there.

Expectations
More
Please be aware that this case is made of 3mm aluminium sheets which get laser cut, bent and anodized. Do not expect the same level of precision as of CNC milled parts. Of course everything fits perfectly, just as it does with the prototype, but CNC milling is another level. Furthermore be aware, that the CNC cases I saw were all sandblasted before being anodized, which also contributes to a higher end finish. So it will never be as perfect as CNC parts or as the renderings may suggest. Renderings are regarded as an artistic representation.
However, if it should come to a GB, the final case will be of higher quality than the prototype. Slight design changes, better alloy, resulting in nicer anodizing finish and no marks from the tooling.

Made in Germany
More
I live in Germany and here we have plenty of companies that specialize in making high precision parts from sheet metal. I have designed parts which are laser cut and bent before and was always very satisfied with the result I got from the local companies.
Of course, a chines' factory would probably offer a better price but I don't know for sure what quality I will end up with. Finding the right company in China is by far too much effort for me - especially because I don't even know if anyone is interested in this case at all.
I trust the local companies, communication is smooth and efficient and they deliver quickly.
So if, then made in Germany it will be.

Pricing (Update)
More
Expected pricing:
20 Units: ~135€
50 Units: ~105€
100 Units: ~92€

Yes, I had hoped for a lower price, but that is probably not possible when manufacturing in Germany. Only high quantities can make the price appealing. There is still a lot that may change and have an effect on the price but if so, it would probably get cheaper.
You would get the three main parts (bottom, top and plate) as well as screws (all M3), nuts, washers and rubber feet.
I would consider world wide shipping.

UPDATE:
this pricing structure refers to to initial proposal which was only ONE case version with ONE plate. since then, many changes have been made and a lot of different versions will be combined in one order / GB. like mentioned many times already I can't predict the new pricing but it will definitely be more expensive. I'm still figuring out a reliable price range.

What to decide on
More
- any interest at all? (yes)
- what size: 60%, 65%, 75% or else? (->60%)
- plate material: anodized aluminium or blank steel?
- what layouts to support?
- not the color!

GUDE!
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2018, 07:20:00 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline kekstee

Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:19:55 »
Saw the 65% low profile prototype in person and kind of liked the technical look.
Also a cool and efficient way to design a top mount case.

I would probably prefer the high profile 60 myself (if I don't decide I have enough boards already :D)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:24:57 »
I was not expecting to like it but I actually do, this is extremely cool - awesome that it's made in Germany, too.

Offline Murrellz

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:27:02 »
Like the integrated wrist rest version - on either a 65% or 75%

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:29:27 »
I like the design.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:34:23 by bluesclera »

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:30:32 »
This looks very good to me!  I'm pleased to see somebody innovating rather than offering exercises in excess (like elaborately milled brass weights).  Here are a few first reactions after briefly skimming your post…

For me personally, the biggest problem is the edge-mounted plate.  I actually like the idea of an edge-mounted plate, but if it doesn't support my favored split-spacebar layout (2.25 | 1.25 | 2.75 as per DZ 60 or Banana Split PCBs) then I'm not going to use it.  And if I have to throw it out and have a custom plate fabricated, then the low-cost rationale for this case is lost.  I guess I could crudely attack the plate with a dremel tool and make it work…?

Adjustible angle sounds good, but then I see the minimum angle is 8 degrees, which to me is about the maximum that I want to use.  5 degrees would be even better.

I understand your concern about the height of the bottom row keys.  However, I've always read that best ergonomic practice is to hold your hands above the keyboard and not rest your palm or wrist upon anything.  (And if you've ever used a vintage typewriter, you know that's how it had to be!)  In that case, having the height of your desk (relative to your sitting or standing position) properly adjusted is what matters.

I agree that black is widely acceptable, although I might argue that silver could be an even more neutral and stylish choice.

As to form factor…  60% cold got to be!

Offline Tobai

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:30:59 »
I love the design and I'd be in for a high profile 60% one for sure!
Compatibility with a cheap 60% PCB like the DZ60 would be cool.

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:31:48 »
besides that this would collect dust on the inside like crazy, run the renders again in something else than black - its barely visible in some pics.

I do like it, for the price I might take one!

You could ask the metal shop if they can weld on screw spacers onto the sheets before bending, that might solve the whole top screw and nut mess.

for the color, you can probably easy blast and powder coat it after its done with bending.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:33:58 by homerowco »

Offline crcstig

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:47:31 »
I love the look of this. High Profile 65% would be my vote. I would be interested in a white one, or raw option to powercoat it myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 09:54:24 »
I like this, but when it comes to 60%, it's gotta be hhkb layout.
keyboards.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 11:32:37 »
Furthermore, this is a wonderful layout;

If there is any way the PCB/plate could support this but with a regular left shift and a split backspace (with the lesser/more than key being there rather than next to L shift) then it'd be perfect. I'm a very big fan of both 60% with arrows as well as ANSI with an ISO enter so this is the best of both worlds for me.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 12:24:40 »
Furthermore, this is a wonderful layout;

Show Image

If there is any way the PCB/plate could support this but with a regular left shift and a split backspace (with the lesser/more than key being there rather than next to L shift) then it'd be perfect. I'm a very big fan of both 60% with arrows as well as ANSI with an ISO enter so this is the best of both worlds for me.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0
gb is already over but maybe someone has leftovers?

Looks cool! The screws on top look really distracting to me though :/
Also debating if black really does go with everything XD

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 12:34:04 »
I’m on the lookout for a high profile 65% and this has piqued my interest.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 12:42:34 »
Loving the design!  Count me in if you make a 60%.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 13:13:25 »
Also one more thing, as a potential yas-case buyer, is there going to be a case-only buy? I already have the pcb and plate so would only need that part.

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 13:44:23 »
thanks for your feedback and questions so far.
I'll wait for some more and then will try to answer in a combined post. gotta go home now.

regarding dust:
from the top there can only get as much dust in as with all other cases. but, yes it is not "sealed" an all sides. but I would argue/hope that this helps for the dust not to get trapped inside but to get out easily.
I'm typing on the prototype right now, but I don't have it since very long, so no dust jet. I'll observe.

60% 65% 75%, color, I'll prepare a google form in the future to find out what's the most popular.

Offline need

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 13:44:32 »
Love how brutalist this is... Love the low front row, but please do a wrist rest version at 8 degree or lower. Also definitely aluminium over steel, as the weight of a 100% steel case is just too extreme for my taste. The ability to lug around is important for a small form factor keyboard imo.

Even if I don't need any more boards...I'd get a 75% when they come out and sell the damn case of my kbd75, which isn't really high enough to cover the keycap edges. It irritates me, as there's a small gap. Never understand why people love to do that on high profile cases, it looks half assed compared to the sink in look of korean customs like OTD.

I know you don't want opinions on colours, but a very deep grey would turn this into the best case ever.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 13:49:39 »
Lets have a render in silver so we can make out the details of the case.

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 13:54:14 »
Love how brutalist this is...

I actually thought about using that word when describing the design :)

I'll try to incorporate your questions/wishes in the form.

Lets have a render in silver so we can make out the details of the case.

OK, I'll prepare more pictures over the weekend.

Now I gotta run. Tomorrow I'll have more time to answer questions.

Offline need

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 14:01:02 »

Haha, there's no need for that. Good design speaks for itself.

EDIT: By the way after using a 75% (kbd75) exclusively for a year, I see there's a need for improvement. The 75% layout is convenient, but it's far from being comfortable.

The f-row is congested, as there's zero spacing between F3 & F4, F8 & F9 like you'd normally see on a TKL. even harder to navigate. What makes this even worse is the same key profile of these two rows. In my opinion, a little negative space like this will do wonders in such a tight layout.

The way that your case is made just like a plate, I think it's entirely possible to leave a bit of material on the case without adding more cost. I think you should take advantage of that. I never dared to suggest this to other customs' interest check, because CNC milling for the same result will cost a lot more. Below is the Toshiba T3200 with a raised f-row, I guess the designer must have had a similar train of thought. As you can see, the separation doesn't add much space and it still remains highly compact.

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2017, 15:23:35 by need »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 14:01:36 »
I think the 60% looks the best, but I consider 75% a more useful layout. I do not use wrist wrests, so I am not a fan of that version (functionally or aesthetically). I would prefer the shortest distance between the top of the case and the bottom of the keycap; I do not like floating key designs.

Overall, this looks very cool, and I am definitely interested. Great idea!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 16:06:24 »
looks like a bent m65
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Createx

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 16:31:09 »
I'd be in for a 65% case. I think the price is fine, considering that you get the plate as well. Also, finally EU would be favoured by shipping ;)

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 19:26:18 »

Haha, there's no need for that. Good design speaks for itself.

EDIT: By the way after using a 75% (kbd75) exclusively for a year, I see there's a need for improvement. The 75% layout is convenient, but it's far from being comfortable.

The f-row is congested, as there's zero spacing between F3 & F4, F8 & F9 like you'd normally see on a TKL. even harder to navigate. What makes this even worse is the same key profile of these two rows. In my opinion, a little negative space like this will do wonders in such a tight layout.

The way that your case is made just like a plate, I think it's entirely possible to leave a bit of material on the case without adding more cost. I think you should take advantage of that. I never dared to suggest this to other customs' interest check, because CNC milling for the same result will cost a lot more. Below is the Toshiba T3200 with a raised f-row, I guess the designer must have had a similar train of thought. As you can see, the separation doesn't add much space and it still remains highly compact.

Show Image

That would mean creating a custom PCB though. Might be out of scope for this particular project
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline E3E

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 19:59:32 »
Very utilitarian design, that's for sure. :)

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 20:00:15 »
I think the 60% looks the best, but I consider 75% a more useful layout.

Personally, I think F-keys are an anachronism, a holdover from the DOS era.  But maybe I'm biased because I've used a Mac for a long time, and it's never made much use of them.

60% and 65% are both very efficient.  A lot of people want the dedicated nav keys, which I can understand, although I think 60% can possibly handle that even better if done right.  Re: http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/keeb/Zo64-08.jpg

Offline complexitylvl9001

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 20:25:38 »
Oh man it looks great! Please consider worldwide shipping, would look amazing on my desk in Dubai :D.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 20:58:09 »
this would definitely be interesting.

Offline Trente

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 21:55:18 »
Looks clean, top mount plate, and pack with nice, useful functions, really love for get one for adjustable capability! One thing really want would be a slightly larger layout like 75% or rs78 layout (left F row + 60/65%) or even model F layout, and pls Alps supportable?
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2017, 21:57:18 by Trente »

Offline orcanilink

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 02:48:58 »
Is this only in iso or is ansi being introduced later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 03:08:23 »
I personally think this case looks nice and price isn't bad.. but its a bit to expensive for a 60% case. Also there million 60% cases out there. Almost all the cases produced are 60%. There are almost zero for other form factors... Factors like 75%.. and all. I vote for maybe a 75% case my self. I do really like the design makes me think mad max almost. Its like elegant industrial look.

Offline Dystopia

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 06:24:31 »
Ooooh I'm definitely in for this as long as the price stays reasonable. Been looking for a case for the YAS62, so my vote will go toward that.

I think it would be nicer to have a lower starting height instead of 8°, and I think 14° is really pushing the limit. Thats just my opinion though, and I'm in for this either way.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 09:24:51 »
This is what I need!
Will you provide a ANSI layout plate?

Offline iNViSiBiLiTi

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 23:13:56 »
This case is awesome!
60%: Prophet, GSKT-00 x2, Poly GSKT-00-Z, Weaven, Sangeo60, Unikorn R2.1, Ciel60

TKL: TGR Jane V2, Jane V2 CE, KFE, Noxary 280 S, Acrylic Unicorn, Igris V1, LZ-GHv2

Bulgogi Board (VA104M), Belle En Rose

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 00:35:38 »
I love the industrial look! Very nice project  :thumb:

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 05:36:03 »
Looks awesome!
Definitely in for a few if YAS62 Layout is available.

75 or regular 60 with wrist rest is very tempting aswell tho...

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 15:13:01 »
# Q&A

## 0
First of all thank you for all the kind words.
Sorry I didn't had the time to answer anything yesterday. I will now address all the questions and comments (even the snarky ones). I'm preparing a form which will hopefully be up later this day, if not then tomorrow. When the form will lead to clear answers I'll update the starting post and add some kind of roadmap.
Often I won't have the time to answer to your post quickly, so please be patient.
Btw, a few of the questions that came up were already addressed in the starting post ;)

## 1
### @kekstee
Thanks, especially for your input at mechanicon ;)
I see, I wasn't familiar with the correct terms in mecha-language. I used the term "edge-mounted" because I described it from the perspective of the plate. Now I know it's more correct to describe it related to the case. So from now on I will use the term "top-mounted"  instead of "edge-mounted". Sorry for the confusion this might have lead to.

## 2
### @Vigrith

## 3
### @Murrellz

## 4
### @bluesclera

## 5
### @Zobeit Zuma
What layouts the plate will support is something to be worked out later. But swapping in any standard plate that was intended for bottom-mount use is certainly not going to work. If you mean plate layout - that's too early to talk about anyway at the time.

Eight degrees is the maximum you use? I'm really surprised to hear that. Shows me again, that I shouldn't just rely on my personal preference. I'll have to think about that.

Not resting the wrists at all - I read about that as well. But feeling the alu surface under your wrist on laptops can be such a satisfying feeling sometime - I miss that option a bit regarding mechanical keyboards.

And sorry, no silver ;)

## 6
### @Tobeio
Thanks!

## 7
### @homerowco
I think the design allows for dust to escape more easily.

Welding the spacers on? Would be an extra step of additional work to pay for. Think the spacers are really no issue, especially not in terms of stability. But, ok, it is true that you would have to fiddle quite a bit when putting it together. But then again, you don't do this very often.

Yes, powder coating would work as well, but I think this one is going to be anodized.

## 8
### @crcstig
offering a raw / untreated one would certainly be no problem.

## 9
### @tameone
I'm aware, that this is popular too. I'll try to negotiate if it is possible to treat for example a standard 60 rectangular cutout top part and the slightly different cutout top part for a hhkb as the "same part".

## 10
### @Vigrith
praise goes to silentreader

## 11
### @ppp
If you don't want the screw heads to be visible you have to go for an entirely different approach regarding the whole construction.

## 12
### @mudcakehoney
:)

## 13
### @Rafa_n
Thanks!

## 14
### @ppp
the plate provided with the YAS-GB is bottom-mount, I think. so it's not compatible. I wanted to offer this much earlier but I do stuff thoroughly, that's why it took me much longer than initially planned.

## 15
### my first answer

## 16
### @need
wrist rest version 8 degree or lower? for now it looks like the interest for a wrist rest version is too low anyway, so this is something to revisit some other time.

how much you all want the caps to sink in is something I'll put up for debate. right now GMK caps sink in 1mm but it wouldn't be a problem for me to make that 2mm for example. (already addressed in the staring post)

## 17
### @bluesclera
didn't have the time jet, will do next week.

## 18
### my second answer

## 19
### @need
regarding the f-row design of the kbd75 - I share your opinion 100%.
Yes my design could easily adapted to a layout with separated f-row for example. But although I'd really like that, we'll have to go with what's most popular - otherwise I'm not going to hit a high enough production count.

## 20
### @Kavik
Looks like no one likes the medium-high profile / floating key version. I should have seen this coming and went with high for the prototype instead.

## 21
### @Puddsy
Oh, you don't know how much I enjoy answering to this comment.
The "look" of the case is not inspired by any other case. I don't have any specific look in mind when I start with a design. I had a concept in mind which I thought was worthy to explore. Construction, material and certain features make up the cornerstones which define the "look" or "style". look or style is what many mistakenly regard as design but to me design is the whole process from idea to final product. look/style is never the idea or inspiration to start a design.
Bending metal is not a new idea of course, but doing so with an overly high thickness and applying it in this context is something I haven't seen jet. Bending metal this thick leads to a certain edge radius and requires the frame to have a certain width; fitting the screw heads into the frame requires the frame to be even a little bit more wide. The case is not made to look like case XY, instead its look
derives entirely from choices like construction and material.

## 22
### @Createx
Yes, finally!
But that also means, that I will maybe have to consider someone as proxy for other continents if a GB will actually happen.

## 23
### @duynguyenle
I think so, yes. I'll address this in the upcoming form as well.

## 24
### @E3E
True.

## 25
### @Zobeid Zuma
the form will figure out the most popular size.

## 26
### @complexitylvl9001
yes, I consider worldwide shipping. especially Dubai shouldn't be a problem and not very expensive from Germany.

## 27
### @audax989
:)

## 28
### @Trente
Alps support? I'm pretty reserved on this one, alps would make the cutouts even bigger, right? would mean less robust plate. Will especially have a negative effect when making a more universal plate.

## 29
### @orcanilink
Of course. I don't think this will ever be possible without ANSI support. Showing renderings with ISO was just a choice because I'm from ISO-land. Btw, I consider ISO more like a burden.

## 30
### @HotRoderX
Thanks!,
Size: form will tell.

## 31
### @Dystopia
Same answer as  #5.

## 32
### @hoq
Same answer as #29.

## 33
### @iNViSiBiLiTi
Thanks!

## 34
### @foxlive
Thanks!

## 35
### @FoC_Tow
Thanks!
Size: form will tell.

---

form coming soon...

Offline ullr

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 15:43:51 »
Lord knows I don’t need any more 60%’s, but I might not be able to resist... Winkey blockers would be interesting and hard to pass up for me.

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 16:45:12 »
I second the space between the F keys in the 75%

Offline MrMontgomery

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 17:35:35 »
Would definitely buy a 40% version but could make do with a 60 if that was the smallest available, would be good to use for a handwired build

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 17:37:54 »
so finally I got the Google Form

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 00:52:13 »
Only black? Can I get uncoated so I can powder coat myself? Need a gray board.

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 06:03:55 »
I've never wanted a 75% before until I saw this, I'll take exactly what you have in your original pics and will even copy your keycaps  :thumb:

Offline Marutks

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 10:15:52 »
I am interested in 65%

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
[IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 10:38:43 »
Filled the Form!

Was hoping for an option to leave additional notes, but might aswell use the thread for that.

Didn’t read through all the pages, but I support f-row spacers in between blocks aswell as below f-row.

This would require custom pcb but make the board very unique in it self.

Also in terms of YAS62 Layout, I have a few pcbs ordered (good excuse to buy multiple cases I guess btw) but it would definitely be appreciated to offer a pcb for this so more people can get in on this.

Again, amazing project Plastik.
Love the simplicity of the design. <3

Offline Marutks

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 10:49:35 »
awesome but also expensive CNC aluminium cases.

Why not CNC?   Keyboard enthusiasts don't care about costs. We would pay whatever you want for a nice 65% case.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 11:38:18 »
awesome but also expensive CNC aluminium cases.

Why not CNC?   Keyboard enthusiasts don't care about costs. We would pay whatever you want for a nice 65% case.

Why not something new?

This doesn’t look like any cheap bent metal case, but rather like taking a new approach to create a modular simplistic case.

It feels very quality to me and tbh, while I love my cnc cases, it’s refreshing to see something more technical then Gucci and over the top for once.

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 12:07:43 »
@FoC_Tow
Thanks very much :)
Regarding YAS or other versions - I'll leave the google form open for the coming week or two, so we will hopefully get a clear picture. At the same time I'll supply some more renderings and detail.

@Marutks
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of keyboard enthusiasts out there that can't just pay whatever the price may be. This project is about providing a good balance of quality, features and price, enabled by a smart design.

I have plans for a CNC case too, but that's a different story.

@myself
star treCk - how embarrassing !

Offline odd

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 12:32:16 »
Love the design count me in

P

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 07:06:18 »
Looking forward to this one ;D