Author Topic: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps  (Read 613680 times)

Offline tanvir175

Re: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps [Closed - 13th GB]
« Reply #1100 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 23:36:59 »
Is there any place I can buy alps stabilizer parts? Will the Matias ones work?

I need the bottom portion, the one that goes in the plate. I could swear that I harvested them from the AEK but now I can't find them anywhere.
Yes, I used Matias stabilizer kit. The part on the plate fits perfect the part on the keycaps needs a little modification and it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for confirming, just ordered them! I still have the keycap parts, I was just unable to find where I placed the plate parts.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #1101 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 04:23:53 »
Hi, based on these supported layouts, does this mean that I cannot build an Alp64 boards using an Apple M0116? Because I'm getting one delivered soon, and that would mean extra work (plus $) to get all the correct keycaps 🙂

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #1102 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 13:50:56 »
Hi, based on these supported layouts, does this mean that I cannot build an Alp64 boards using an Apple M0116? Because I'm getting one delivered soon, and that would mean extra work (plus $) to get all the correct keycaps 🙂

Show Image

Show Image

sorry for late reply. Alps64 doesn't support M0116 layout.

Offline Tarienn

« Reply #1103 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 13:54:37 »
Any idea when the next group buy will be? I got my hands on 3 Apple IIc's with Amber Alps. I'm itching to make a Alps64 build out of them :)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
Re: [GB] TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB for Alps [Leftover Sale - Mar]
« Reply #1104 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 14:16:17 »
[GB update][Leftover sale now]
All preorders of Lefover sale(invoice number: 1747 or less) will be shipped tomorrow.

Leftover sale just starts now. Estimated lead time is two weeks to ship.
All components are in stock enough to meet demand for months and PCB are assembled and shipped on regular basis when I have time.

Any idea when the next group buy will be? I got my hands on 3 Apple IIc's with Amber Alps. I'm itching to make a Alps64 build out of them :)

You can get it from Leftover!
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2018, 14:18:02 by hasu »

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1105 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 14:40:36 »
[GB update][Leftover sale now]
All preorders of Lefover sale(invoice number: 1747 or less) will be shipped tomorrow.

Leftover sale just starts now. Estimated lead time is two weeks to ship.
All components are in stock enough to meet demand for months and PCB are assembled and shipped on regular basis when I have time.

You can get it from Leftover!

Placed an order for 1 PCB in anticipation for the Modern M0110. Thanks Hasu! Also do you sell your HHKB Controller in batches as well or will I have to get it from somewhere like 1upkeyboards?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1106 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 19:20:02 »
Placed an order for 1 PCB in anticipation for the Modern M0110. Thanks Hasu! Also do you sell your HHKB Controller in batches as well or will I have to get it from somewhere like 1upkeyboards?

Thanks for the order!

of couse, you can buy HHKB controller from me here. If you need them in bulk email me I can offer discount.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71517.0

Offline Snappo

• meme
« Reply #1107 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 18:02:46 »
Hi All,

How do I add support to this for an alps locking switch on the caps lock?

Thanks,

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1108 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 18:14:49 »
Hi All,

Thanks,

See this. Alps64 firmware is built with enabling those options by default. Just use 'KC_LCAP' instead of 'KC_CAPS'.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/#mechanical-locking-support

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1109 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 18:47:20 »
Is any 60% plate compatible with the Alps64 PCB?

I am looking for a universal plate that can fit Alps SKCC switches. Someone on Reddit said they fit rather well in MX switch plates, which I found to be true.

The pins for the SKCC switches look the same as the SKCM switches so I don't think I have anything to worry about there but they don't fit the fr4 plate from this GB.

I'm looking for a 60% plate that can be used with the Alps64 PCB and supports mx switches in the HHKB layout.

If I'm not mistaken, Alps64 supports hhkb layout right? The infinity layout has split backspace and 7u spacebar. I would just need two 1.5u blockers.

I was looking at the sentraq plate. https://sentraq.com/products/60-aluminum-plate-1

Does anyone think this will work?

Offline Snappo

• meme
« Reply #1110 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 18:50:42 »
Hi All,

Thanks,

See this. Alps64 firmware is built with enabling those options by default. Just use 'KC_LCAP' instead of 'KC_CAPS'.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/#mechanical-locking-support

Thanks!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1111 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 21:45:06 »
Is any 60% plate compatible with the Alps64 PCB?

I am looking for a universal plate that can fit Alps SKCC switches. Someone on Reddit said they fit rather well in MX switch plates, which I found to be true.
Interesting.

The pins for the SKCC switches look the same as the SKCM switches so I don't think I have anything to worry about there but they don't fit the fr4 plate from this GB.

You can insert pins of SKCC to SKCM footprint somehow but not that SKCC is compatible completely.
SKCC switches will be aligned  around 1.5mm onward from where it should be. This might be problem.

You will need to measure dimensions of SKCC with vernier caliper yourself and compare to SKCM ones.

You can get dimension of SKCM in DT wiki easily.
https://deskthority.net/w/images/3/32/Alps_Electric_--_spec_--_5454_31.pdf

I'm looking for a 60% plate that can be used with the Alps64 PCB and supports mx switches in the HHKB layout.

If I'm not mistaken, Alps64 supports hhkb layout right? The infinity layout has split backspace and 7u spacebar. I would just need two 1.5u blockers.

I was looking at the sentraq plate. https://sentraq.com/products/60-aluminum-plate-1

Does anyone think this will work?

Yes, Alps64 support Right Shift(1.75u) + Fn(1u) layout.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1112 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 23:17:10 »
Thanks Hasu!

I'll look more into it and report back if I'm successful.

For anyone curious, I bought an IBM 4704 PN 6112884 BNIB from menseldons on ebay. I love the look of the caps but don't care for the huge footprint and tons of relegendable caps much. Decided to desolder it all today and look into making an HHKB style board using the SKCC Green switches and the caps that came with it.
I'm okay with handwiring it once I'm able to confirm if a universal 60% plate will work, if need be, but I noticed it will potentially work with the Alps64 PCB. The only issue in terms of switch placement is that the IBM 4704 using a 1u + 1.25u in place of a 2.25 Enter, which the Alps 64 doesn't support. I'm okay with using a smaller sized keycap, though.

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #1113 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 09:46:38 »
Is there a date for the next GB?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1114 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 10:08:05 »
As title and first post says, this GB is in 'Leftover sale' phase now.
I have a fair bit of raw pcb and components in sotck and can put together them in good pace these days.

Orders will be shipped within two weeks after payment basically, unless I get a pile of orders :D
Check 'Leftover sale' section in first post.

Thanks

Offline tobo

« Reply #1115 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 15:05:11 »
I've just gotten to building this keyboard. Soldered the TH diodes and have about 10 left over. Just want to make sure I don't have to use up all the diodes before soldering the switches since there are no more places indicated on the PCB where any other diodes need to be soldered.

Also kudos to hasu for adding a diode bending tool, came in very handy :) .

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1116 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 17:47:19 »
You need just 64 diodes but will get some extras in case they get messed up in soldering.

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #1117 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 14:02:37 »
I am sorry if this has been asked a million times but would this pcb support this layout?

I see it has support for split backspace and but what about smaller right shift and 1u, 1.5u, 7u, 1.5u, 1u bottom row?
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1118 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 15:55:56 »
I am sorry if this has been asked a million times but would this pcb support this layout?

Show Image

I see it has support for split backspace and but what about smaller right shift and 1u, 1.5u, 7u, 1.5u, 1u bottom row?

It can support the bottom row (look at the infinity layout) and hasu confirmed to me that it can do split right shift a couple posts above.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #1119 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:10:59 »

Show Image

It can support the bottom row (look at the infinity layout) and hasu confirmed to me that it can do split right shift a couple posts above.

Oh awesome I wasn't sure if the infinity layout was 1.5 or 1.25u from the picture left/right of the 7u spacebar.

All the different layouts are weird and there's no central body of knowledge about what is in each one.

Just confirmed the paypal invoice for this so pumped :)

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #1120 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 18:33:03 »
My dream one would have support for MX spacebars.

Online pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1121 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 16:27:01 »
Hey, hasu.  Just wanted to say thanks for my PCB.  This is the hardest project I've done to this date (mainly because I had to cut my own plate from a full size board with a dremel)

I love the layout and I'm impressed with your PCB for accommodating it!

Big Ass Enter key, split right shift and 7u spacebar goodness!

193183-0

a few more shots here:
https://imgur.com/a/8sS6M

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 April 2018, 16:39:46 by pixelpusher »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #1122 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 17:01:36 »
Hasu, any chance of USB C version of this board?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1123 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 20:42:36 »
Hasu, any chance of USB C version of this board?

Probably no. I'll stick to reliable connector for a while at least.
But I'm interested and may try type-C on other smaller-scale project in future.

@pixelpusher, it looks great! and that BAE :D

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1124 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 23:14:05 »
Just finished a build that I've been waiting to do for a few months.

Cyan 5 Degree Alps64 with ultrasonic cleaned Orange Alps, harvested from an AEK, and lubed with RO59 (probably incorrectly since it's my first time lubing) and with Japanese AEK (II?) keycaps. (maybe I'll change it to Alps DSA Lightcycle, not sure)

I'll post pictures once I'm able to take good ones but I did have a question regarding firmware.

When I am holding down Left Shift and I quickly press M and then O, the letter Q is also typed in. So I try to do MO but get MOQ. Coincidentally, I am trying to write MOQ but I never pressed Q.
When I am holding down Right Shift and I quickly press M and then O, the } symbol is also typed in. So I do MO but get MO}.

I have no idea what is causing this. It's not the biggest issue in the world and I don't notice it for any other combination of letters but it's a little weird.

Any ideas?

Online pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1125 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 00:21:18 »

Cyan 5 Degree Alps64 with ultrasonic cleaned Orange Alps, harvested from an AEK, and lubed with RO59 (probably incorrectly since it's my first time lubing) and with Japanese AEK (II?) keycaps. (maybe I'll change it to Alps DSA Lightcycle, not sure)

I'll post pictures once I'm able to take good ones but I did have a question regarding firmware.

When I am holding down Left Shift and I quickly press M and then O, the letter Q is also typed in. So I try to do MO but get MOQ. Coincidentally, I am trying to write MOQ but I never pressed Q.
When I am holding down Right Shift and I quickly press M and then O, the } symbol is also typed in. So I do MO but get MO}.

I have no idea what is causing this. It's not the biggest issue in the world and I don't notice it for any other combination of letters but it's a little weird.

Any ideas?

Try putting tape on the screw posts of the case before you screw in the pcb? May be shorting to the case somewhere.  I had a different board do that in my 5degree case.  Insulate the sections that touched the bottom of the pcb and all is good. Just a thought. 

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1126 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 00:39:46 »

Any ideas?

Try putting tape on the screw posts of the case before you screw in the pcb? May be shorting to the case somewhere.  I had a different board do that in my 5degree case.  Insulate the sections that touched the bottom of the pcb and all is good. Just a thought.

I'll give that a try when I have time to work on it. Thanks!

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1127 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 16:43:38 »
Well, that isn't the issue. Took it out of the case today and tried it with the PCB out of the case and it replicates the issue.

Been playing around some more and the exact issues are.

Hold down Left Shift and quickly press M then O, also get Q.
Hold down Left Shift and quickly press M then K, also get A.
Hold down Right Shift and quickly press M then O, also get }.
Hold down Right Shift and quickly press M then K, also get Enter press.

I never use right shift so luckily I don't have to worry about the Enter press, which is probably the only one of the 4 issues that would cause me actual trouble, depending on the situation.

I guess one important thing to note is that two of the pads didn't work. Not lifted, just didn't work out of box. I tested the entire PCB as per Hasu's instructions and every key did work. However, the two pads circled below didn't work once I soldered in the switch. Those pads are the ones that connect to the diode, if I'm not mistaken. I tested it again after soldering by touching the right pad (the one not circled) and the square pad of the diode, as shown in Hasu's instructions, and it would still work. However, pressing the switch down, did not.

193791-0

I used some wire to fix that, like so (tbh I actually forgot if that's how I did it but I'm about 90% sure it is):

193793-1

Idk if any of these things are contributing to it. I don't exactly care enough to make a big deal of it or continue wasting too much time on it, since it's not that big of an issue. I'll try reflashing firmware, later, in case that could be the cause.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 April 2018, 16:56:57 by tanvir175 »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1128 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 20:53:09 »
@tanvir175, those fixes are not right way or unreasonable at least. This may cause your 'ghost key' problem somewhat. You have to remove the wires first anyway.

Then check whether diodes on the keys(K56 and K01) is ok if your DMM has diode check mode. It will show around 0.6V for forward voltage drop. And make sure diode directions of course.

Next, check continuity with DMM at points show in pic below. And wire them if they has no continuity.

193802-0

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1129 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 21:10:11 »
@tanvir175, those fixes are not right way or unreasonable at least. This may cause your 'ghost key' problem somewhat. You have to remove the wires first anyway.

Then check whether diodes on the keys(K56 and K01) is ok if your DMM has diode check mode. It will show around 0.6V for forward voltage drop. And make sure diode directions of course.

Next, check continuity with DMM at points show in pic below. And wire them if they has no continuity.

(Attachment Link)

Hasu, thanks for the help!

I'll look into this the next time I'm free :)

Offline supermitsuba

« Reply #1130 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 17:30:36 »
I received the PCB ok.  Put this thing together and thought, all it needs is grease.  I got too much somewhere because now the backslash key doesnt work.  I took the switches off again and cleaned the PCB.  Now the Hardware Id comes up with "keyboard VID_FEED&PID_6060" instead of 6464.  If I plug it into my mac it doesnt detect at all. 

I was hoping I got rid of the short in time, seeing if the forum has some advice.

Thanks!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1131 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 17:58:09 »
I received the PCB ok.  Put this thing together and thought, all it needs is grease.  I got too much somewhere because now the backslash key doesnt work.  I took the switches off again and cleaned the PCB.  Now the Hardware Id comes up with "keyboard VID_FEED&PID_6060" instead of 6464.  If I plug it into my mac it doesnt detect at all. 

I was hoping I got rid of the short in time, seeing if the forum has some advice.

Thanks!

Did you update firmware? You are using wrong firmware, probably GH60 one.
Follow instruction in first post to flash legitmate firmware.

Offline supermitsuba

« Reply #1132 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 22:31:46 »
Thanks, Hasu!  That was it.  I was trying to mess around with the QMK firmware and that's what tripped me up.  I will keep more official firmware on the keyboard. 

Offline awaroa

« Reply #1133 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 22:35:16 »
Finished a build last weekend, really nice build quality on the PCB. Nice work!

Offline Astralou

« Reply #1134 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 11:16:17 »
What case can I use ? Any 60% case would work with that PCB ?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1135 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 12:22:17 »
What case can I use ? Any 60% case would work with that PCB ?

Check "Supported Cases" section in the first post. You can use Poker comaptible case in short.

Offline nnard1616

« Reply #1136 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 00:53:19 »
Thank you so much Hasu!  Just finished my custom build to replace my chattering V60. I really enjoy this PCB! I'm no expert, but it feels and appears super high quality.  Love it!

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #1137 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 16:37:32 »
Will there be more runs of this pcb and plate? I just salvaged some alps whites and trying to find them a home! ;D

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1138 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 16:53:23 »
Will there be more runs of this pcb and plate? I just salvaged some alps whites and trying to find them a home! ;D

Yes but it also seems like there are still leftovers. Email Hasu.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #1139 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 17:09:51 »
For those who have a Alps64 and have been having trouble programming it. I got the Alps64 into QMK Configurator, a new GUI tool, so it should be easier. You don't have to write a single line of code!

https://config.qmk.fm/#/alps64/LAYOUT_infinity

Instructions: https://github.com/mechmerlin/qmk_setup/blob/master/qmk_configurator.md
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 May 2018, 10:18:44 by merlin64 »

Offline Snappo

• meme
« Reply #1140 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 19:02:29 »
For those who have a Alps64 and have been having trouble programming it. I got the Alps64 into QMK Configurator, a new GUI tool, so it should be easier. You don't have to write a single line of code!

This is amazing news. Thanks for helping us non code normies out.

Online pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1141 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 09:31:19 »

This is amazing news. Thanks for helping us non code normies out.

well, there was already hasu's TMK firmware builder tool.  I never wrote a single line of code on my past 3 builds :)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #1142 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 10:20:50 »
Oh you smart aleck.

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #1143 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 11:38:12 »
Are there any PCB leftovers? If not when will the next GB be at?

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #1144 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 13:56:31 »
Are there any PCB leftovers? If not when will the next GB be at?

Just email him and ask. I think if he hasn't updated the thread there are still some left I bought mine <1 month ago.

Offline tobo

« Reply #1145 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 10:06:38 »
I just finally built this keyboard but am having trouble mounting the spacebar (see linked image). The attachments on the spacebar seem too short so the stabilizer wire keeps falling off.

https://imgur.com/a/qjAQfUp
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 May 2018, 10:08:21 by tobo »

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #1146 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 16:46:30 »
I just finally built this keyboard but am having trouble mounting the spacebar (see linked image). The attachments on the spacebar seem too short so the stabilizer wire keeps falling off.

I had some trouble with that, as well.

The wire is flipped 180 compared to the AEK so, if you haven't already, take out the left and right brown inserts and flip them.

This may not be something you want to do but I spent near an hour trying to make it work and couldn't. Take out the insert for the extra support. The gray circle one. I literally couldn't get it to keep the wire in the clips and have it high enough to insert into the circle.

After those two, it should be pretty simple.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #1147 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 18:05:03 »
whats the difference between the normal pcb and this one  https://caps-unlocked.com/alps64-special-edition-pcb/

Offline tobo

« Reply #1148 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 18:28:11 »

The wire is flipped 180 compared to the AEK so, if you haven't already, take out the left and right brown inserts and flip them.

This may not be something you want to do but I spent near an hour trying to make it work and couldn't. Take out the insert for the extra support. The gray circle one. I literally couldn't get it to keep the wire in the clips and have it high enough to insert into the circle.

Thanks for the reply. I did reverse the brown inserts as otherwise it's impossible to mount the spacebar. However the inserts then become too short to hold the wire so the wire just falls out. I tried extending the inserts with some tape and some other means but the spacebar becomes very rigid. I don't have a problem with the gray circle, but after reading your post I removed it as well as the round insert it goes into and tried mouting the spacebar reversed: https://imgur.com/rWp2I2X

This seems to work as the brown inserts are oriented correctly and I only lose some stability from the missing grey cylinder piece. The spacebar feels nice and light.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 May 2018, 18:30:10 by tobo »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #1149 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 04:49:44 »

Thanks for the reply. I did reverse the brown inserts as otherwise it's impossible to mount the spacebar. However the inserts then become too short to hold the wire so the wire just falls out. I tried extending the inserts with some tape and some other means but the spacebar becomes very rigid. I don't have a problem with the gray circle, but after reading your post I removed it as well as the round insert it goes into and tried mouting the spacebar reversed: https://imgur.com/rWp2I2X

This seems to work as the brown inserts are oriented correctly and I only lose some stability from the missing grey cylinder piece. The spacebar feels nice and light.

I didn't know there are variation of stab wire like that, what model number of keyboard did you get the space bar and stabilizer from? AEK US layout?
And if you still have the keyboard could you post pic of its stab cutouts around space bar? It would be helpful to know the cutouts dimension.

This is my space bars from AEKs(M3501 and M0115J). Stab wires and inserts are apparently different.

The other day I found AEK64 case has extra cutouts on upper side and wasn't sure its reason. But the extra cutouts work with your spacebars probably?
https://i.imgur.com/xs91dSt.jpg