Author Topic: DSA Alps, why is this so hard?  (Read 11074 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
DSA Alps, why is this so hard?
« on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 00:11:24 »
Tonight I was playing the "Oh, you know, I don't think I've ever tried to put together blank DSA Alps set from pimpmykeyboard" game... for more than the first time.  (I think i've probably had this thought on at least 3 different occasions, but fail to remember until I see the lack of 2.75u and crummy colors)

Why is this so difficult?  I understand they have a lot in the pipelines, but honestly, how long it would take them to set up a run of a full set of DSA alps blanks?  Oh sure, I'd take some dye sub as well.

Can we put a team together to go volunteer to help out on the weekend or something?  :p

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: DSA Alps, why is this so hard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 00:24:09 »
Custom ALPS sets have been hard to do because stabilizers are not standard on ALPS boards. My XM uses Costar stabs, interestingly enough.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline cutterline

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 01:50:16 »
Market is too small, the return isn't as bright as mx with the almost same amout of capital.
Well, if you're very adamant abount this, you can try arrange IC, ask SP or Chinese DSA maker for MoQ, then make own GB.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 12:27:23 »
Is there a Chinese DSA-clone maker prepared to make keycap sets with Alps stems?

Offline cutterline

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 18:09:58 »
Is there a Chinese DSA-clone maker prepared to make keycap sets with Alps stems?
MoQ is the keyword, I reckon it'd not be in hundreds.

or why not wait for i-rocks switch? Another alps clone with mx stems

Offline Harms

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 12:25:47 »
I wonder if those housings will fit all types of keycaps.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 00:54:10 »
My only experience with dsa alps was the lightcycle set that came with my minivan - and it was delicate as can be. I ripped a couple stems off just trying to remove a cap from the switch and from what I could tell, the doubleshot did not adhere like it should to both colors. Wouldn't be a problem with blanks though if i'm correct in diagnosing the problem but i'd definitely be weary of buying more sets especially if they were SP priced.
My V80 has some kinda costar type stabs but with out normal mounts. It definitely is a standards problem getting a mod set that works for everyone.
-Dana

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 07:23:22 »
My only experience with dsa alps was the lightcycle set that came with my minivan - and it was delicate as can be. I ripped a couple stems off just trying to remove a cap from the switch and from what I could tell, the doubleshot did not adhere like it should to both colors. Wouldn't be a problem with blanks though if i'm correct in diagnosing the problem but i'd definitely be weary of buying more sets especially if they were SP priced.
My V80 has some kinda costar type stabs but with out normal mounts. It definitely is a standards problem getting a mod set that works for everyone.

Yikes, that's a bit concerning.  Light cycle is in group buy again and I was planning to join. I hadn't heard about issues with the double shot process.   I was planning to shave the stems on the corners to keep the fit from being so tight.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 10:01:32 »

Yikes, that's a bit concerning.  Light cycle is in group buy again and I was planning to join. I hadn't heard about issues with the double shot process.   I was planning to shave the stems on the corners to keep the fit from being so tight.

I used vintage salmon alps and not the provided matias quiet clicks. After ruining 2 caps, I did end up slicing a bevel in the edge of the post on each cap and then brushing some of my switch lube on each side just to eliminate them from sticking as much as possible. This seemed to be a common story of the folks that went alps/lightcycle on the minivan buy.
-Dana

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 10:47:17 »
The horror stories regarding Alps and changing caps makes me content to stay in the MX compatible world.

Offline zslane

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 12:38:11 »
I've pulled Tai Hao double-shots off a Matias Quiet Click board numerous times and never had a problem with the keycaps coming apart, or damaging the switches. However, you do have to be careful. I recommend pulling with increasing tension (and only straight up--never with any side-to-side torque), rather than yanking with high force.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 13:28:52 »
I've pulled Tai Hao double-shots off a Matias Quiet Click board numerous times and never had a problem with the keycaps coming apart, or damaging the switches. However, you do have to be careful. I recommend pulling with increasing tension (and only straight up--never with any side-to-side torque), rather than yanking with high force.

Same experience here.  I always feel like they're going to break but pulling straight up and, like you said, with increasing tension, works for me.

I've changed them 3 times and never a broken a cap.  But I do plan to do a little shaving and/or lubing to keep Light Cycle safe since they are so much more expensive.

Offline zslane

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 14:53:01 »
That is understandable.

I am eager to get LightCycle DSA on my KBP V60 mini, but once I do, I don't plan to ever remove them.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 14:53:51 »

Come to think of it, I've pulled caps off my SGI granite before I even had a keycap puller and it was fine.  I suppose the idea is to get caps that aren't so tightly fitting that pulling off stems is a problem.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:34:52 »
yeah the problem is you dont have a whole lot of options for ALPS based keycaps. I will say the Taihao set that I have on my V80 is solid, i have no worries about that set. They also dont fit as snug as the lightcycle did. Maybe its the salmon alps vs. the cream alps? i dunno. I just grabbed both of the dolch sets that just opened on massdrop so we'll see.
-Dana

Offline zslane

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:41:45 »
Yeah, you got that right.

Even the Tai Hao sets are, at best, placeholders until I can get something truly worth typing on, which is to say DSA keycaps.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:44:44 »
We've got that Chinese maker with the DSA-alternative caps.  Has anyone tried to see if they would run a set with Alps mounts?  There's also that Chinese maker with the SA-alternative caps.  I think someone was trying to figure out how to get a hold of them for some custom set possibilities.

Offline zslane

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 16:02:08 »
The Alps market is just so small though. There isn't much incentive for keycap manufacturers to prioritize the Alps mount.

In any event, the reason you don't see many Alps DSA sets is because designers don't bother to offer them. SP will certainly make them; it is up to keyset designers to add them to their group buy.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 16:22:04 »
I ordered the original set of Alps Lightcycle caps on Massdrop but ended up not using them. With the new GB Evangs is running, thinking now that I should keep the extra 40% set in the case I (or someone else) breaks a stem off.  Excited to have an actual Alps keycap set that fits the VE.A.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 22:59:53 »
The Alps market is just so small though. There isn't much incentive for keycap manufacturers to prioritize the Alps mount.

In any event, the reason you don't see many Alps DSA sets is because designers don't bother to offer them. SP will certainly make them; it is up to keyset designers to add them to their group buy.

Yup.  Then add on that the options for designers are limited and it only compounds the problem.  You've got DCS, typically considered too thin and not "in" right now, or DSA which has the aforementioned problems. 

Offline Minnie2

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:48:45 »
There might be little maker trying DSA Alps keycaps :blank:
    A Bro Caps Fan

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that information. A lot of people missed it ;)

Offline cribbit

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 12:38:31 »
Typing this right now on an alps ergodox with DSA blanks.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline PopTart

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 10:19:56 »
I would also love some DSA Alps keycaps! Even just the alphanumeric keys would mean I could have a Dvorak layout on my ALPS MGM-106.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 14:33:26 »
If you can find them the DSA Granite alps are probably your best bet.

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:57:02 »
Does PMK still sell the Alps Granite set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:32:18 »
Does PMK still sell the Alps Granite set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They announced last year that they were not going to make any more granite ALPS, unfortunately