Author Topic: [IC] GMK Royal Alpha Round 2 - Back In Action  (Read 17803 times)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
[IC] GMK Royal Alpha Round 2 - Back In Action
« on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 13:23:40 »
10/11
The GB is live at https://donutcables.com/product/gmk-royal-alpha-round-2/ and the official thread for it should be live at https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92029 shortly. New renders and kit contents at https://imgur.com/a/iyeqe

09/21
GB will be live at https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91686.0 once the thread is approved. For now the GB is at https://donutcables.com/product/gmk-royal-alpha-round-2/

So far everyone's just complaining about green mods costs, so I'll be working with GMK for adjusting kit contents.

09/18
Hey look, some actual renders from GMK

More

Base Kit

Mods Kit

International Kit

Please note that these are the first renders and have some mistakes which I've correct and sent back to GMK for adjustment.

09/17
MOZ has responded and given his permission to rerun the set, so at this point in time I'm just waiting on mockups/quotes from GMK before going forward with the GB stage.

09/09
IC Form Here

This is an IC for doing a second round or rerun of GMK Royal Alpha. I see a lot of demand for this set but oh so little supply to meet that demand, leading to some outrageous prices being thrown around. In order to try and meet this demand, I'm looking to run another go of the set but with updated kit contents for more compatibility. I have messaged MOZ to ask his permission to run this since I feel that is the respectful thing to do in this case and am currently awaiting his response. If I do have their permission then I can go ahead and get a quote from GMK then move to a Sep-Oct GB period with Jan-Feb delivery date.

More

Updated Base Kit

Updated Mods Kit

New International Kit

« Last Edit: Wed, 11 October 2017, 18:58:33 by donutcat »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] GMK Royal Alpha Round 2/Rerun
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 13:28:34 »
Needs a 1.5u R2 backspace with the simple arrow.

Offline Myoth

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 14:13:46 »
international kit ! :smiley:

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 14:15:45 »

I believe the \| key in the main kit is meant to cover that with the arrow sublegend.

Offline SpinahVieh

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 14:16:58 »
international kit ! :smiley:

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 14:17:31 »
You international set is missing the angled brackets R4 cap.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline poolside

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 14:17:57 »
Can we get a doubleshot cyrillics-only optional alphas kit?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 14:20:14 »

That's because it's included as sublegends in the base kit as part of basic ISO support.

Can we get a doubleshot cyrillics-only optional alphas kit?

That's not relevant to either the first round nor the source material of this set, so no.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 14:21:45 »
That's because it's included as sublegends in the base kit as part of basic ISO support.
Sorry, didn't notice.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline hansichen

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 04:06:41 »
This set needs icon mods  :( And the CODE key looks so horrible, it ruins the set. I don't understand why a round 2 can't improve a set.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 09:18:32 »
I always saw this as the ninja turtle set and cannot wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 10:36:43 »
This set needs icon mods  :( And the CODE key looks so horrible, it ruins the set. I don't understand why a round 2 can't improve a set.

Isn’t this already corrected in all the renders in the OP?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 10:48:09 »

I believe the \| key in the main kit is meant to cover that with the arrow sublegend.

So no chance of a primary legend?

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 12:09:35 »
Interested, but mostly in the mods.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 17:01:15 »
Would be so nice if the international kit goes through. Otherwise I will probably pass.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Duckunderscore

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 17:39:07 »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I cant wait for this

Offline hansichen

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 21:46:57 »

You're right, I didn't notice that. But I would still hope for icon mods as it would be the OG style. 9009 round 2 is a design which would be perfect for this set too   :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:37:17 »
The ISO \| key Alt Gr legends should be ¬¦. The ISO ~# key is redundant with the ANSI 3#, because it belongs to the UK layout. It should be `~ instead, with no Alt Gr legends.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 02:05:16 »

You're right, I didn't notice that. But I would still hope for icon mods as it would be the OG style. 9009 round 2 is a design which would be perfect for this set too   :D

Cept TA Royal Alpha is from a typewriter and it DEFINITELY didn't have windows keys. The CODE keys are actually part of the original typewriter design. I Think CODE looks ugly next to the normal case other characters, but i think changing it to Code fixes the issue. It's also more accurate than adding windows keys, especially when win keys are non agnostic. I'd love a green icon mod set, an N7 set would be cool too. But that would be more an addon since it's not really TA Royal Alpha at that point. I think the real issue is it would be expensive to add redundant keys like that to the base. If it wouldn't be so hard to hit moq I'd say another mod kit with the greens reversed and symbol mods, but the odds of two modifier kits both making moq seems low to me.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 12:27:59 »
Putting some things out so they're clear:
 - "CODE" is being adjusted to "Code" per many requests and will not be substituted with windows keys
 - While some of the sublegends on the base kit may not be perfectly correct, I'm trying to avoid changing them too much from the round 1 or the typewriter design
 - Some of the keys in the international kit may not be perfectly correct either, but I did my best to combine redundant keys for the sake of lowering cost
 - I'm hesitant to add some of the less common modifiers since it means adding one per mod kit resulting in twice the price increase overall

In other news, GMK got back to me today and is currently working on the mockup and quote for the kits, so that's good news. At this point MOZ responding favorably is the final step before GB stage.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 18:56:01 »
Someone explain the origin of the whole "code" key thing? They replace those g'darn awful windows keys, but what does code have to do with anything?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 20:36:10 »
I don't like the hhkb Bs implement with the sub legend. Then there's a 1u backspace but no 1u back slash.  True hhkb bs and 1u backslash is just a much better implementation. Sublegends stink.
keyboards.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 20:37:42 »
Someone explain the origin of the whole "code" key thing? They replace those g'darn awful windows keys, but what does code have to do with anything?

Note the bottom right key. It was used for things like aligning the typewriter carriage and stuff.

Offline Albatross

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 20:59:19 »
Sorry if I'm missing something, but why do you bother worrying about getting permission to run this set? To my understanding, this colorway came standard on Triumph Adler Royal Alpha typewriters. So, why do you care to get permission from someone who did not produce the original colorway? It would of course be similar to asking a previous group buy facilitator if you have the rights to run a black on white or 9009 set

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 21:43:50 »
Sorry if I'm missing something, but why do you bother worrying about getting permission to run this set? To my understanding, this colorway came standard on Triumph Adler Royal Alpha typewriters. So, why do you care to get permission from someone who did not produce the original colorway? It would of course be similar to asking a previous group buy facilitator if you have the rights to run a black on white or 9009 set

I am asking permission because I feel that is the respectful thing to do in this case. Even though the colorway itself may come from an outside source, I am acknowledging the time and effort that went into translating that source into a set design and the time that went into making sure that GMK got the design transcribed accurately. Because of MOZ's previous work, I was able to go to GMK and just say "I would like to do this thing again, but with a few additions" and went through minimal effort to reproduce the design. I did have to create the international kit myself, which took a good deal of time working with all the weird international characters in KLE, and I could appreciate the time that would have gone into translating a whole set like that. So just because MOZ did not dream up the colors himself does not mean that I cannot be respectful of his contribution of time and effort to the keyset, and that is why I'm awaiting his permission.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 21:48:34 »

I am asking permission because I feel that is the respectful thing to do in this case. Even though the colorway itself may come from an outside source, I am acknowledging the time and effort that went into translating that source into a set design and the time that went into making sure that GMK got the design transcribed accurately. Because of MOZ's previous work, I was able to go to GMK and just say "I would like to do this thing again, but with a few additions" and went through minimal effort to reproduce the design. I did have to create the international kit myself, which took a good deal of time working with all the weird international characters in KLE, and I could appreciate the time that would have gone into translating a whole set like that. So just because MOZ did not dream up the colors himself does not mean that I cannot be respectful of his contribution of time and effort to the keyset, and that is why I'm awaiting his permission.

Donutcat: keepin the green dream alive!

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:56:10 »
I'm totally in if this thing goes live. Really excited that there's a possibility of rerun.

Offline SuperVan

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 09:38:38 »
I'm so excited to hear it. Let it be.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 10:57:42 »
The background color for GMK Royal Alpha was always a little too white compared to the TA Royal Alpha caps it was based off of.

I know this is an interest check for a rerun, but I wonder if there might be interest for a similar set with a darker background somewhere down the line.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 14:37:04 »

Show Image

Note the bottom right key. It was used for things like aligning the typewriter carriage and stuff.

That makes sense I guess. Not interested in this, but good luck to everyone involved.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 14:58:50 »
The background color for GMK Royal Alpha was always a little too white compared to the TA Royal Alpha caps it was based off of.

I know this is an interest check for a rerun, but I wonder if there might be interest for a similar set with a darker background somewhere down the line.

Although the colors are not faithful to the original; the OP stated that he is focused on a rerun as is. Maybe, that policy rules out any improvements.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 15:14:11 »

Sometime later I would like to design a set that would use sublegends like this in order to hit as much legend compatibility as possible with a small base kit, but for this set I want to stay with the same colors as the round 1.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 15:54:25 »

Sometime later I would like to design a set that would use sublegends like this in order to hit as much legend compatibility as possible with a small base kit, but for this set I want to stay with the same colors as the round 1.

That's what I gathered from reading the thread so far.  Just planting the seed for the future :)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 16:04:41 »
http://www.strawpoll.me/13936259
New poll regarding splitting the base kit into an "Alphas" and "Mods" kit.

https://imgur.com/a/9FZcz
Album of potential kit setup

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
Re: [IC] GMK Royal Alpha Round 2 - GMK Quote Pending
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 12:14:15 »
MOZ has responded and given his permission to rerun the set, so at this point in time I'm just waiting on mockups/quotes from GMK before going forward with the GB stage.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 11:48:19 »
Hey look, some actual renders from GMK

Base Kit

Mods Kit

International Kit

Please note that these are the first renders and have some mistakes which I've corrected and sent back to GMK for adjustment.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 13:11:18 »
Wow! That looks great. Guess I'll be once again a wee bit more poor this fall/winter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 13:21:45 »
Might have to do the mods kit this time around and maybe mix it in with Skeltor alphas for a bit of unicorn vomit.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 13:25:44 »
Could put the alphas with coniferous for whiter alphas, yes?  Same green, right?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 13:33:33 »
Could put the alphas with coniferous for whiter alphas, yes?  Same green, right?

I suppose you could. The legends are the same N7 while the sublegends are AE. Coni alphas could also be used with the Mods kit and look pretty neat.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 13:38:24 »

I suppose you could. The legends are the same N7 while the sublegends are AE. Coni alphas could also be used with the Mods kit and look pretty neat.

Was thinking that too.  Good stuff.  Will buy!  ROYAL CONIFEROUS!
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2017, 13:43:48 by reececonrad »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 10:25:51 »
how about windowed led lock keys?

Offline avid

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 10:33:27 »
Are you going to run this through you site? I think one wouldnt bother with the int. kit, since it will always fail outside MD.

Offline Norde

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 11:24:59 »
International Kit. Nice  :thumb:

The currency sign (¤) is missing from the "4" key in International Kit (Danish/Norway/Swedish/Finnish-layout). It's such a strange sign and  it would fit perfectly in this key set. Do you think so?

Offline kimbles

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 11:43:12 »
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 18:13:48 »
Firstly, adjusted GMK renders:

Base Kit

Green Mods Kit

International Kit

how about windowed led lock keys?

Yes...

The currency sign (¤) is missing from the "4" key in International Kit (Danish/Norway/Swedish/Finnish-layout). It's such a strange sign and  it would fit perfectly in this key set. Do you think so?

Unfortunately windowed lock keys aren't a viable addition to the set for several reasons. First, they would add at least 8 keys to the set, possibly more, considering they would be needed for both the base and the green mods. Secondly, 3 out of 4 of the current capslock/control keys would not work with led windows due to the sublegends, thus affecting the design of the set and possibly requiring more keys in order to compensate for the loss of the sublegends.

This was a slight mistake in my mockup and has since been added to the updated renders.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 18:26:42 »
Unfortunately windowed lock keys aren't a viable addition to the set for several reasons. First, they would add at least 8 keys to the set, possibly more, considering they would be needed for both the base and the green mods. Secondly, 3 out of 4 of the current capslock/control keys would not work with led windows due to the sublegends, thus affecting the design of the set and possibly requiring more keys in order to compensate for the loss of the sublegends.

yes, i concede the point. i would rather these keys be omitted than jeopardize the gb due to added cost or complexity. the kits are clean and trim as-is

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 19:35:56 »
Aww jizz I've been waiting for this for so long!!! COUNT ME IN!!!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 14:05:15 »
GB will be live at https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91686.0 once the thread is approved. For now the GB is at https://donutcables.com/product/gmk-royal-alpha-round-2/

So far everyone's just complaining about green mods costs, so I'll be working with GMK for adjusting kit contents.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 September 2017, 15:34:22 by donutcat »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] GMK Royal Alpha Round 2 - GB Live
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 14:33:36 »
I really want this but $265 for full kit seems a bit much.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 14:53:43 »
mfw could have bought all the caps i want from these kits for aftermarket prices...

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 15:30:15 »
See. We can’t ever have nice things bc someone wanted two kits instead of just one with white alphas and green mods.  I bet if they knew the price they wouldn’t have voted this way

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 16:19:02 »
See. We can’t ever have nice things bc someone wanted two kits instead of just one with white alphas and green mods.  I bet if they knew the price they wouldn’t have voted this way

I think what they originally wanted was for the green mods to be with the alphas and for the grey mods to be the separate kit. There should also be spacebar kits too.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [IC] GMK Royal Alpha Round 2 - On Hold
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 16:47:30 »
if this is going to be split into better kits, and some keys removed i would suggest pulling all the ISO keys into the international kit (including greens) and getting rid of centered stem spacebars, or putting green spacebars into their own kit

Offline megaforce

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:09:19 »

This is what happened with R1 on Massdrop as well (R1 total was less expensive), and that didn't even hit MOQ.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:58:40 »
I would just like to mention that a whopping 6 out of 256 people in the interest check ever mentioned adjusting the kits in favor of the green mods. To put some perspective on that, 12 people just said they weren't interested. So twice as many people said "no, I don't want it" than people that thought I should mess with the alphas/mods setup. Hence why I ran the kits the way I did, be cause the vast majority of the responses to the IC said "no, the mods and alphas are fine the way they are."

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:59:49 »
It's all good, donut.  We'll get it figured out.  No rush to get sweet green caps  :thumb:

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 21:42:37 »

I think what they originally wanted was for the green mods to be with the alphas and for the grey mods to be the separate kit. There should also be spacebar kits too.

This probably is necessary since a lot of people prefer Green mods (yes, different from the survey), and even if the Green Mods Kit becomes smaller, Base + Green Mods will still be too steep of a step and not affordable for many.
In this situation, it seems better to make the Base Kit more attractive with Green mods, then upsell complete Royal Alpha (incl. Grey mods) to those who wants complete Kits.  People who lose from this kit makeup is those who only wants Grey mods--I doubt there are many.

Offline kconfire

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 12:47:57 »
Do we have any updates on this yet? :D
Can't wait to jump on it with 9009 together!
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 19:02:17 »

Still waiting on quotes and renders for the updated kit contents from GMK, hoping to hear back from them this week.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 19:23:49 »
Any chance of a nice cable for this one?  Very happy with my coniferous cable :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ogr2U

Offline kconfire

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 19:30:44 »

Still waiting on quotes and renders for the updated kit contents from GMK, hoping to hear back from them this week.

I see, that's awesome.
Can't wait to see the update. :)
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 13:48:35 »
New renders for the kits at https://imgur.com/a/iyeqe

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 13:53:05 »
Nice work. I’m ready.

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 14:05:53 »
Just signed up. Thanks for getting this live donut!

Offline darthzero

Re: [IC] GMK Royal Alpha Round 2 - Back In Action
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 02:30:27 »
4 gmk sets at the same time.... good job
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline DreLLin

Re: [IC] GMK Royal Alpha Round 2 - Back In Action
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 04:43:17 »
That European price on MechBoardsUK is ridiculous. It's almost cheaper to order from Donut Cable and pay for shipping and VAT.  :mad:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker