Author Topic: Most tactile switch  (Read 25032 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Re: Most tactile switch
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 02:48:07 »
I wish I could get somewhere authentic Holy Pandas - not those Drop ones or whatever, those original ones.

Does anyone have them? Could I get at least few to try them out?

You just build them. Buy YOK Panda [black Panda or some other colour] housings from somewhere like Novelkeys, and put the stems of Halo True / Halo Clear in them.

These days, you can even substitute a Kailh Polia stem [which is similar or identical to Halo True] in the YOK housing.

You can use springs anywhere from 55 G [very borderline] to 78 G. 67-68 G is popular, and may have been what the original HPs used. However, I find 63.5 G Spirit and also 65 G 14mm TX to be good weights, and also 68 G Progressive.

If you can't find YOK Panda housings, you can use Boba housings to make Holy Bobas, which are arguably better.

Sounds like it is the only way to get them.
I heard about Holy Bobas - only thing is they are so ugly, colors I mean.
But yeah, I would like to try some new switches.

If it wasn't suggested the new switche by Zeal are ridiculously heavy when modded to be tactile.

I've seen them and it might be a good idea to try them. Thing is I would need to buy a sample first.
Did anyone try them yet?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 04:04:11 »
There are no super tactile MX-type switches. Zealios are incredibly overrated in this regard, as are virtually all MX hack jobs.

BOX Royals are a good one for if that's your thing. Tactile-modded Clickiez are probably the king of tactile tactiles, I'd say. They really are fairly absurd, and unlike other modern switches, actually have a genuine technological foundation for it rather than a mythical reputation.

The most tactile switch I've ever tried are an extremely obscure type of Alps clone. If anyone manages to find a batch of those, definitely please contact me. Most Alps switches aren't all that tactile though, their tactility is just sharp.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 08:59:54 »
I wish I could get somewhere authentic Holy Pandas - not those Drop ones or whatever, those original ones.

Does anyone have them? Could I get at least few to try them out?

You just build them. Buy YOK Panda [black Panda or some other colour] housings from somewhere like Novelkeys, and put the stems of Halo True / Halo Clear in them.

These days, you can even substitute a Kailh Polia stem [which is similar or identical to Halo True] in the YOK housing.

You can use springs anywhere from 55 G [very borderline] to 78 G. 67-68 G is popular, and may have been what the original HPs used. However, I find 63.5 G Spirit and also 65 G 14mm TX to be good weights, and also 68 G Progressive.

If you can't find YOK Panda housings, you can use Boba housings to make Holy Bobas, which are arguably better.

Sounds like it is the only way to get them.
I heard about Holy Bobas - only thing is they are so ugly, colors I mean.
But yeah, I would like to try some new switches.

I think Holy Bobas look alright. They kinda remind me of salmon sushi, with the pink stem in the white housing. Boba housings come in some different colours, by the way, and you can also use blue Polia stems for these.

Holy Bobas are actually very easy to build. Because the Boba housing is smooth, and doesn't need much lube. If you use a sufficiently-heavy spring like 67-68 G, you probably don't need to lube at all, just the spring. And you can buy the housings in pieces, so you don't even have to disassemble them. Just bag lube your springs, put the stems in, and assemble.

Seriously. I don't build many switches, but Holy Bobas might be the easiest.

YOK Pandas + Halo True stems are the 'authentic' way to build, as you're using genuine Halo(tm) stems, real Panda housings. These real Holy Pandas are somewhat more challenging to build than Holy Bobas - the housings aren't as steady, and they definitely need lube.

U4T Boba is the refined, store-bought version of all this. It's basically a Holy Boba, but I think the U4T bump is not quite as large as the Halo's. May be more refined in overall shape, though.

Yes, the real tactile switches aren't in the MX world at all, except for those housing designs that deviate from Cherry [BOX, Clickiez]. Wish Matias hadn't gone with simplified ALPS and faulty PCBs - imagine what we could have today.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 14:15:53 »
Yes, the real tactile switches aren't in the MX world at all, except for those housing designs that deviate from Cherry [BOX, Clickiez]. Wish Matias hadn't gone with simplified ALPS and faulty PCBs - imagine what we could have today.

I haven't had any PCB problems with Matias keyboards, unless you count the micro USB ports being broken off because they were unsupported (this was resolved some time ago). I must have close to a dozen of them. I think the Forward switches were just crap, although the Gaote-manufactured ones aren't as perfectly reliable as MX.

Offline butre

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 14:36:03 »

it's very questionable whether "more tactile" is synonymous with "better", and nothing proves that point quite so much as this.  anything more extreme than about a 40-45 gram drop is counterproductive.  buy something with good reviews and be happy with it.

There are no super tactile MX-type switches. Zealios are incredibly overrated in this regard, as are virtually all MX hack jobs.

BOX Royals are a good one for if that's your thing. Tactile-modded Clickiez are probably the king of tactile tactiles, I'd say. They really are fairly absurd, and unlike other modern switches, actually have a genuine technological foundation for it rather than a mythical reputation.

The most tactile switch I've ever tried are an extremely obscure type of Alps clone. If anyone manages to find a batch of those, definitely please contact me. Most Alps switches aren't all that tactile though, their tactility is just sharp.

maybe you should try the ones I just posted.  even without the tg3 domes it is tactile to the point of being detrimental
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 March 2022, 15:09:09 by butre »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 15:20:44 »
it's very questionable whether "more tactile" is synonymous with "better", and nothing proves that point quite so much as this.  anything more extreme than about a 40-45 gram drop is counterproductive.  buy something with good reviews and be happy with it.

What kind of lunatic does this?

TG3's newer boards have an interesting dome with slider mechanism ... with coil springs. I think they're trying to reproduce the feel of their older MX black boards with the "raincoat". There are other (even more interesting) things about them but I haven't stopped being lazy enough to make a thread about it.

Offline lakdsjfhklasdjfh

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 16:35:10 »
I would reccomnend trying out a two-stage spring to maybe exagerate the tactile bump in the zealio's if possible but for switch reccomendations, while not having used these out the holy boba's would definetly be something to look at.
simp for smooth linears and mid strength tactiles, currently looking for a good 1800 layout board

Offline butre

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 09:01:13 »

(Attachment Link)

What kind of lunatic does this?

TG3's newer boards have an interesting dome with slider mechanism ... with coil springs. I think they're trying to reproduce the feel of their older MX black boards with the "raincoat". There are other (even more interesting) things about them but I haven't stopped being lazy enough to make a thread about it.
the gist of this one is some switch modder was playing around with different combinations when they found a that a blueberry stem in a gazzew housing was the most tactile mx type switch, posted it online, and someone with a tg3 board laying around figured it'd be funny to try making it worse

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 08:40:43 »
I must reccomend the Holy Boba Frankenswitch, It utilizes a Boba U4 (not U4T) housing, whatever spring you want but most people use the boba's 68g "korean spring", and the stem from a Halo Clear or True.
This results in a switch with almost identical tactility to the Holy Panda's but having the tight and well made housings of the Boba, while these are pretty much identical to the Boba or Holy Panda it's just a small upgrade at the cost of your wallet.

Offline FelixWells

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 12:50:50 »
I'm a big fan of the Zealios v2 78g switches too, but it's always fun to experiment with new options. Have you checked out the reviews for the Gazzew Boba U4T 68g, Box Royal, Durock T1s, and BKE Redux Heavy/Extreme switches? They're all frequently mentioned as some of the best tactile switches out there, so they might be worth considering. It's hard to say which would be the perfect fit for you without trying them out yourself, but reading up on their unique features and comparing them to what you're looking for in a switch could help narrow down the options. Good luck with your switch search!
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 February 2023, 14:23:59 by FelixWells »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 13:19:55 »
I'm a big fan of the Zealios v2 78g switches too, but it's always fun to experiment with new options. Have you checked out the reviews for the Gazzew Boba U4T 68g, Box Royal, Durock T1s, and BKE Redux Heavy/Extreme switches?

I think I'm gonna sell my Zealios 78g and buy Boba U4Ts 68g and just use them stock, no lubing.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline notcheese

• smolboardsonly
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 12:06:21 »
Durock Sunflowers are great

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 12:39:49 »
If it wasn't suggested the new switche by Zeal are ridiculously heavy when modded to be tactile.
can concur
https://youtube.com/shorts/m4wUdL429zo?feature=share

Show Image

maybe you should try the ones I just posted.  even without the tg3 domes it is tactile to the point of being detrimental
Good memories of the cursed topre board from the mode meet :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2023, 12:45:19 by CaesarAZealad »
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 23 March 2023, 16:01:11 »
Boba u4ts are a good choice if you like the bump to be at the start. I also recommend you try the KTT Waverider switches. They are super good tactile switch that comes with factory lube. The bump comes super early, and it does not have an extended stem. Great for long-time typing.