Author Topic: What's up everyone | designing a keyboard  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Nikita Kuchma

What's up everyone | designing a keyboard
« on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 11:40:50 »
Hey everyone, my name is Nikita. I'm an idustrial designing from Ukraine.

I do concept and industrial design for different sectors such as military industry for example. But for some reason, with the knowledge that i had from my previous projects, i never ever thought that i could make a design for a custom keyboard, and especially manufacture it.
I never ever have any of those premium, fancy keyboards you are talking about :), only used it once in my friends house, it was Keychron Q1 which is a very entry level for this hobby i suppose. With that being said i'm doing the design type of stuff, but keyboards also requires such thing's as PCB, which i have 0 clue on how to do them, so i'm counting on you guys :).

I will also include some early prototypes/renders of the keyboard so check it out as well.

Cheers !

edit: For some reason there is a lot of duplicated images, sorry for that

Offline fanf

• Tony Finch's home page
Re: What's up everyone | designing a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 13:03:40 »
I like the quarter-circle engraving :-)

The USB socket looks like it is designed to be mounted directly on the PCB. It’s more common to use a daughterboard (https://unified-daughterboard.github.io/) mounted lower in the case, for a couple of reasons: it allows the plate & pcb assembly to have a flexible mount, without the socket moving; and the unified daughterboard helps with ESD (electrostatic discharge) protection.

Offline Nikita Kuchma

Re: What's up everyone | designing a keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 13:36:53 »
I like the quarter-circle engraving :-)

The USB socket looks like it is designed to be mounted directly on the PCB. It’s more common to use a daughterboard (https://unified-daughterboard.github.io/) mounted lower in the case, for a couple of reasons: it allows the plate & pcb assembly to have a flexible mount, without the socket moving; and the unified daughterboard helps with ESD (electrostatic discharge) protection.

Oh yeah, that makes so much sense, thank you!