Author Topic: Continued experiments in homemade key caps...with interesting results.  (Read 71898 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
So making homemade key caps is something that I've been wanting to try for a while.  I'm not what you would call a skilled artist, but I figured that if I can get the technique figured out, I might be able to get a friend who is to assist me.  I figured I'd share my results and my process so that anyone else who wanted to try to do the same could do it.

To begin, you'll need a volunteer key cap, masking tape, a razor blade, and some carving wax or some other carving medium (you could probably use some Crayons if you wanted).  For my key cap, I used one from the WASD sample kit.

16031-0

Set the cap on the masking tape.  Try to make it as flat as possible.  Then cut the tape flush with the key cap.

16033-1
16035-2

If you did it correctly, the base should look like this.

16037-3

Next, you need to melt the wax.  Use some sort of double boiler method to melt the wax.  I did mine by using a canning jar in a sauce pan.  Medium to medium high heat should do it.  You may need to use something to stir it to make sure it's properly melted.

16039-4

This was my first go at a wax mold. It's a wooden shim lined with saran wrap and taped together.  Just carefully place the key cap in face down.

Later I used a cardboard mold lined with saran wrap that was a little easier and seemed to work better.

16041-5

When the wax is melted, slowly pour it over the key cap.  Following that, let the wax sit for a little bit to cool down, but make sure not to wait too long.

16043-6

16045-7

Open up your mold and let it loose.  If you did it correctly, the wax should look something like this.

16047-8

16049-9

Next, you'll need to trim the wax to your carving size.  I highly recommend doing this while the wax is still warm and easily pliable.  You'll want to trim and even the base and get as close to the side wall as you can.  If you don't get close enough to the sides, your cap will be too wide for your keyboard, a problem I ran into with this first attempt.  To get the wax close enough to the side walls, you'll likely need to wait until it fully cools, but for the major trimming, it's best to do it while it's still warm.

16051-10

Here are the tools I used to then carve the key cap.

16053-11

Here's the finished product.  I'm not the most skilled artists, so I wanted to start with something a little easier to carve.

There are some problems with this cap that I didn't notice at first go.  First, it's way too tall and looks silly.  I had about 1/8" more room to carve down that I just didn't think about.  Second, I didn't follow my advice and left the sides a little too thick.  Third, I carved it sideways.  I forgot to check which side was the front of the cap and carved it 90 degrees off.  I corrected that last problem by rotating half the mold 90 degrees, but the other two weren't noticed until the mold was already made.

16055-12

For the molding supplies, I bought some Alumilite stuff from Hobby Lobby.  If you use their 40% off coupon they always have, it's not too expensive.  I think I bought the wrong molding silicon though and got a softer mold than I would like.

16057-13

Next you need to find some sort of form to put your mold in.  For mine, I used an old laundry detergent measuring cup.  You'll also want to put something in the bottom to lock the two halves of the mold together in the proper orientation.  For mine, I used some modeling clay.

16059-14

Mix your silicon with the reacting agent and pour it onto your keycap.  Wait overnight before pulling it out.  Since your mold is a two part mold, know that the mold making process is at least a two day job.

16061-15

To keep the two halves of the mold from bonding, you'll need some sort of mold release.  I used petroleum jelly for mine.  I just melted some in a spoon and applied it with a Q-tip. 

I also cut the base off of the detergent cup so I could slide it over the first half of the mold instead of pushing it to the bottom.

Then just mix and pour the silicon like before and wait till the next day.

16063-16

When you're done, you should get a mold like this.

16065-17

For my first try at a key cap, I used some resin. You'll naturally have some resin that pours out the edges that you'll need to trim up.  When you pour the resin, you'll need to wait 48 hours before attempting to demold the cap.

I'm not really happy with how it turned out.  The top half turned out alright (the eyes are a little messed up)...but there are some issues once you flip it over.

16067-18
16069-19

As you can see, the stem didn't turn out quite right.  It still fits just fine and actually holds it to the Cherry stem, but it has some wobble and play.

16071-20
16073-21

For a first try, it wasn't horrible, but there certainly needs to be more experimentation with materials used to make it right.

In the future, I might try for lost-wax casting with a fine medium like plaster of paris so I can make a metal cap or see if I can find another fairly affordable medium to use that's better than resin, but not as costly as trying to make a homemade plastic injection mold (which would set me back at least $400).
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 January 2014, 21:38:24 by nubbinator »

Offline Dgsbllx

Re: My first attempt at homemade key caps...with interesting results.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:17:40 »
Looks really good for a first attempt. Too much work at the moment but I'd love to have a go at creating my own as well. Your end result reminds me of a wine gum  :p

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:19:06 »
I cannot see the stem pictures. Anyone else having this issue?

Great first run! Maybe a more square top would be easier than the circular face?
Either way, great job. :"D
Vortex KBT PURE [MX Red] | CM Storm [MX Blue] | CM Storm [MX Red]

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:19:58 »
Photoshop level: 99
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:27:19 »

Great first run! Maybe a more square top would be easier than the circular face?

Stem pics fixed and you have WAY more patience than I. :D
Vortex KBT PURE [MX Red] | CM Storm [MX Blue] | CM Storm [MX Red]

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:30:02 »
Looks really good for a first attempt. Too much work at the moment but I'd love to have a go at creating my own as well. Your end result reminds me of a wine gum  :p

Haha, yeah, it is quite a bit of work, but once I get it figured out, it will be nice to have some completely unique keycaps to set my keyboards apart a little more.  If I can get some nice metal ones made at home, it will be even better.

I was thinking more of black licorice, but now that I looked up wine gum, I can definitely see that too.

The upload was borked, so I re-uploaded them and they appear to be there now.  Originally it said something about guests not being able to see the picture.

The circular face was actually pretty easy.  The main issues were just me not thinking things all the way through...like making a side too thick, not knowing exactly where the top of the donor cap was, and not double checking the key orientation before I started carving.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 07:28:28 »
an excellent first attempt! all i can think of when i see that is that it would make an excellent gummy snack :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline jcrouse

Re: Re: My first attempt at homemade key caps...with interesting results.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 07:39:02 »
an excellent first attempt! all i can think of when i see that is that it would make an excellent gummy snack :D

I think of a Rolo.

Offline whiskerBox

My first attempt at homemade key caps...with interesting results.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 07:39:27 »
Very cool nice work!
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:33:46 »
yup, gummy snack!  :D
Excellent first try, you didn't lost any finger right?

Try again, don't quit, you know that old adage don't you?
Patience is and virtue and bla bla bla ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:42:55 »
So how much for that first nubbinator 'cap?  :p

[It could be worth something some day, you never know.]
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:45:07 »
Hmm, that thing looks familiar...

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:03:44 »
Nice!  Can't wait to see G2.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:05:56 »
wasnt there a picture of this cap shopped with "Kill me" lol

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: Re: My first attempt at homemade key caps...with interesting results.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:25:19 »

I think of a Rolo.

Keep on trying!

.... I thought of Michelangelo.

Not the artist, the teenaged mutant turtle ninja. Cowabunga! LOL!

Joking aside, thanks for posting this. Don't give up.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:27:50 »
There was, which is what made me want it the most. If I had been drinking something, I would've spit it up when I saw that picture.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:33:54 »
So how much for that first nubbinator 'cap?  :p

[It could be worth something some day, you never know.]

It went for the price of shipping.  So if it goes for something someday, I expect 30% of sales.  I'm not a greedy man.

Hmm, that thing looks familiar...

Yeah, I posted it to /r/mechanicalkeyboards a little while back.

Keep on trying!

.... I thought of Michelangelo.

Not the artist, the teenaged mutant turtle ninja. Cowabunga! LOL!

Joking aside, thanks for posting this. Don't give up.

Definitely not giving up.   I need to finish my RK-9000 Clear mod first, then I'll be back to experimenting some more.  I really need to try and find a better cap material.

Yes, yes there was.

There was, which is what made me want it the most. If I had been drinking something, I would've spit it up when I saw that picture.

Are you the person I ended up sending it to from Reddit?
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 March 2013, 18:37:24 by nubbinator »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 19:58:07 »
^Yes sir, I am. <3 that picture

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 07:44:21 »
Nubbinator;

Your post inspired me to get way too much stuff at my local craft supply store yesterday, to try my hand at making a custom keycap.  Going to be the most expensive keycap around, by the time I actually produce one. 

So far I'm at the mold-making stage, already managed to melt several stock keycaps (don't ask).  Wish me luck!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 07:51:41 »
Interesting work, keep the good work. The main difference with high pressure injection molding is the hardness of the final product. The hand made one depends on material density, :o and gravity.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:29:11 »
Nubbinator;

Your post inspired me to get way too much stuff at my local craft supply store yesterday, to try my hand at making a custom keycap.  Going to be the most expensive keycap around, by the time I actually produce one. 

So far I'm at the mold-making stage, already managed to melt several stock keycaps (don't ask).  Wish me luck!

What did you decide to use as the key cap material.  I used Alumilite resin, but I'm not sure I quite like it.

I have to ask since you said not to.  How did you melt several caps already?

Interesting work, keep the good work. The main difference with high pressure injection molding is the hardness of the final product. The hand made one depends on material density, :o and gravity.

I don't have the ability to do injection molding, but I was thinking about trying to adapt some bottle rocket launchers (you know the ones with 2 liter bottles and water) that I have around the home and turn them into pressure chambers for the mold.  Obviously it won't get a super high PSI, but it might help some.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:30:29 »
I guess I somehow double posted.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 March 2013, 13:38:49 by nubbinator »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:42:20 »
A bench press, or other mechanical manual press may be of help and it can apply a huge pressure if properly operated. For the size of a single cavity mold even a small one will fit.

Nubbinator;

What did you decide to use as the key cap material.  I used Alumilite resin, but I'm not sure I quite like it.

I don't have the ability to do injection molding, but I was thinking about trying to adapt some bottle rocket launchers (you know the ones with 2 liter bottles and water) that I have around the home and turn them into pressure chambers for the mold.  Obviously it won't get a super high PSI, but it might help some.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 13:10:01 »
Nubbinator;

I was trying to make a mold from a stock cap, using Fimo (modeling clay).  This clay is oven-hardening, at 110 Celsius.  I left the key caps in the clay, as it's pretty soft, and found out the hard way that that temperature is plenty hot enough to warp stock Cherry keycaps.  Yeah, I'm a dumbass.  :-[

Interestingly, though, the PBT keycap kept it's shape just fine. 

Now I'm letting the second mold harden without heat, see if that works.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 16:44:20 »
Maybe this could help?

feature=player_embedded

(ignore emo background music, LOL)

EDIT: Your keycap mold gets to experience SpaceCamp.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 March 2013, 16:47:54 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 17:01:36 »
Maybe this could help?

feature=player_embedded

That's pretty cool!  I've found a variety of mold-making resources online, including pressure (and/or vacuum) pots, but I had not seen anything about roto-molding! Might do something with a hollow key cap, filled with another color resin...  Hmm.

I did manage to extricate my sample key from the second mold I'd made.  I used a two-part rubber kind for stuff for the base, that's the yellow.  Once that was set, I sprayed it all down with mold release and poured a two-part epoxy casting over it, brand name is EasyCast. 

16334-0
16336-1
16338-2
16340-3

Pretty happy with how it turned out, the details are nice and crisp for the key stem, which is what I was worried about.  Label says the product sets in 24 hours, but fully hardens in 72 hours, so I'm going to let it cure before trying to cast a key cap.

By the way, the epoxy product is clear, I tried my hand at tinting it a light blue.  I also noticed that the two Escape keys I had on hand were different profiles, one was shorter (OEM?) than the PBT unit.  I used the taller cap for the impression in  the rubber mold, and the shorter cap for the epoxy base casting, figuring this will give me an option to cast a thick-topped key, perhaps in a different color-way for the top part of the cap.  Not sure I'm explaining that very clearly, but I'll post samples once I have some.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 17:08:29 »
Maybe this could help?

feature=player_embedded

That would give more consistently even coverage in the mold, but I'm not sure it would be great for keycaps since it's oriented toward hollow core resin casting.  It also would be suboptimal for the resin I have right now.  Not ruling it out just yet, but doesn't seem ideal.  I'd be more inclined to try and jerry rig something together with a large bore needle and constant pressure system (cheap homemade plunger?) to get a consistent full fill.  I need to switch to a harder silicone, clay, or other material mold for that though.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 17:13:45 »
That's pretty cool!  I've found a variety of mold-making resources online, including pressure (and/or vacuum) pots, but I had not seen anything about roto-molding! Might do something with a hollow key cap, filled with another color resin...  Hmm.

I did manage to extricate my sample key from the second mold I'd made.  I used a two-part rubber kind for stuff for the base, that's the yellow.  Once that was set, I sprayed it all down with mold release and poured a two-part epoxy casting over it, brand name is EasyCast. 

Pretty happy with how it turned out, the details are nice and crisp for the key stem, which is what I was worried about.  Label says the product sets in 24 hours, but fully hardens in 72 hours, so I'm going to let it cure before trying to cast a key cap.

By the way, the epoxy product is clear, I tried my hand at tinting it a light blue.  I also noticed that the two Escape keys I had on hand were different profiles, one was shorter (OEM?) than the PBT unit.  I used the taller cap for the impression in  the rubber mold, and the shorter cap for the epoxy base casting, figuring this will give me an option to cast a thick-topped key, perhaps in a different color-way for the top part of the cap.  Not sure I'm explaining that very clearly, but I'll post samples once I have some.

I've heard good things about that brand.  They were actually the one I was looking for, but they ended up costing a lot more than the Alumilite stuff I bought.  Since it was an early prototyping experiment, I decided to cheap a little.  It looks like that casting material has a higher fidelity, so that's nice to know.

Keep in mind that once you switch over to a two part mold for the top and bottom, it becomes a more difficult.  Doing something like that rotomold might help a little, but I wonder how it affects the strength of the cap.

I think I get you.  I've been trying to figure out a way to rig up a ghetto double shot mold and it sounds like that's what you're talking about.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 17:39:23 »

I've heard good things about that brand.  They were actually the one I was looking for, but they ended up costing a lot more than the Alumilite stuff I bought.  Since it was an early prototyping experiment, I decided to cheap a little.  It looks like that casting material has a higher fidelity, so that's nice to know.

Keep in mind that once you switch over to a two part mold for the top and bottom, it becomes a more difficult.  Doing something like that rotomold might help a little, but I wonder how it affects the strength of the cap.

I think I get you.  I've been trying to figure out a way to rig up a ghetto double shot mold and it sounds like that's what you're talking about.

The local Michael's has the EasyCast kit with two small bottles - each about four (?) ounces.  I didn't want to get a lot of stuff to try at first, eventually I've got a larger project in mind.  I also picked up some resin+hardener of a different brand, which was absolutely horrible to use indoors.  The stuff stank up the whole house, I moved it all out to the garage and last I checked it still hasn't cured. 

I'm a bit worried about using epoxy as both the mold and the product, but I like the details on the mold so far.  Keeping my fingers crossed...

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 05:54:02 »
(Attachment Link)
Dude just thinking about that meme makes me want to laugh :))

Poor keycap, it's smiling but deep inside it wants to die!
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 06:20:58 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:42:28 by esoomenona »

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 07:19:32 »
I hope he's really happy and doesn't want to die anymore!

PS:

lmao
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 09:38:57 »
Bro, no. All he needed was a place he could call his own, where he is loved for who he is.

(Attachment Link)

This keycap absolutely slays me. The Sloth Keycap.

Just don't sing 'When the Bough Breaks' and we're good.

More

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 10:17:43 »
Hey you guys.. hahahaha

Offline cdemasy

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 16:51:42 »
Have you made another? Would be awesome to see how it turned out!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 20:44:28 »
nubbin's made all kinds of cool crap. we're supposed to go checkout hacker spaces together, but he's busy like "getting a job" and junk like that. i mean, seriously. COME ON

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 21:01:59 »
Have you made another? Would be awesome to see how it turned out!

I did but didn't photograph it.  My molds were then butchered for another project.  Before I go back to resin casting, I need to try and figure out a couple of things.  First, I need to figure out how to make a cheap, yet safe, pressure chamber for resin casting.  Hopefully that will help me with some of the issues I've had with some of the direct pour casting.  Second, I need to find a better resin.  I've been checking out some and I think I found one that would work better, but it's $50+ and I don't really have the spare cash for it right now.  Third, I need some better silicon mold making material, again, a funds issue.  If some of my USB cables sell and some of my keycap pullers sell, I should get some more money to put back into experimenting.

I may have found a place where I can use their centrifugal caster, so I might be able to experiment some more with my metal caps I've been messing with.  I just need to find a place where I can buy a small amount of zinc at a reasonable price.

nubbin's made all kinds of cool crap. we're supposed to go checkout hacker spaces together, but he's busy like "getting a job" and junk like that. i mean, seriously. COME ON

I just got back from Austin today for that very reason and have another interview for a different job coming up.  Once I get a steady source of income and a steady schedule, I'll definitely be able to delve more into my experiments and share my processes more.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 23:45:31 »
Maybe this could help?

feature=player_embedded

That "emo" background music is Radiohead you uncultured swine!  ;D
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 23:52:54 »
Maybe this could help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok4fAqjKMoI&feature=player_embedded

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 00:38:31 »
Maybe this could help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok4fAqjKMoI&feature=player_embedded

Show Image

Don't you start with me!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 19:09:25 »
Maybe this could help?

feature=player_embedded

"Now is ze time on Sprockets vhen ve dance!"

More

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 23:07:59 »
So making homemade key caps is something that I've been wanting to try for a while.  I'm not what you would call a skilled artist, but I figured that if I can get the technique figured out, I might be able to get a friend who is to assist me.  I figured I'd share my results and my process so that anyone else who wanted to try to do the same could do it.

To begin, you'll need a volunteer key cap, masking tape, a razor blade, and some carving wax or some other carving medium (you could probably use some Crayons if you wanted).  For my key cap, I used one from the WASD sample kit.

(Attachment Link)

Set the cap on the masking tape.  Try to make it as flat as possible.  Then cut the tape flush with the key cap.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

If you did it correctly, the base should look like this.

(Attachment Link)

Next, you need to melt the wax.  Use some sort of double boiler method to melt the wax.  I did mine by using a canning jar in a sauce pan.  Medium to medium high heat should do it.  You may need to use something to stir it to make sure it's properly melted.

(Attachment Link)

This was my first go at a wax mold. It's a wooden shim lined with saran wrap and taped together.  Just carefully place the key cap in face down.

Later I used a cardboard mold lined with saran wrap that was a little easier and seemed to work better.

(Attachment Link)

When the wax is melted, slowly pour it over the key cap.  Following that, let the wax sit for a little bit to cool down, but make sure not to wait too long.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Open up your mold and let it loose.  If you did it correctly, the wax should look something like this.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Next, you'll need to trim the wax to your carving size.  I highly recommend doing this while the wax is still warm and easily pliable.  You'll want to trim and even the base and get as close to the side wall as you can.  If you don't get close enough to the sides, your cap will be too wide for your keyboard, a problem I ran into with this first attempt.  To get the wax close enough to the side walls, you'll likely need to wait until it fully cools, but for the major trimming, it's best to do it while it's still warm.

(Attachment Link)

Here are the tools I used to then carve the key cap.

(Attachment Link)

Here's the finished product.  I'm not the most skilled artists, so I wanted to start with something a little easier to carve.

There are some problems with this cap that I didn't notice at first go.  First, it's way too tall and looks silly.  I had about 1/8" more room to carve down that I just didn't think about.  Second, I didn't follow my advice and left the sides a little too thick.  Third, I carved it sideways.  I forgot to check which side was the front of the cap and carved it 90 degrees off.  I corrected that last problem by rotating half the mold 90 degrees, but the other two weren't noticed until the mold was already made.

(Attachment Link)

For the molding supplies, I bought some Alumilite stuff from Hobby Lobby.  If you use their 40% off coupon they always have, it's not too expensive.  I think I bought the wrong molding silicon though and got a softer mold than I would like.

(Attachment Link)

Next you need to find some sort of form to put your mold in.  For mine, I used an old laundry detergent measuring cup.  You'll also want to put something in the bottom to lock the two halves of the mold together in the proper orientation.  For mine, I used some modeling clay.

(Attachment Link)

Mix your silicon with the reacting agent and pour it onto your keycap.  Wait overnight before pulling it out.  Since your mold is a two part mold, know that the mold making process is at least a two day job.

(Attachment Link)

To keep the two halves of the mold from bonding, you'll need some sort of mold release.  I used petroleum jelly for mine.  I just melted some in a spoon and applied it with a Q-tip. 

I also cut the base off of the detergent cup so I could slide it over the first half of the mold instead of pushing it to the bottom.

Then just mix and pour the silicon like before and wait till the next day.

(Attachment Link)

When you're done, you should get a mold like this.

(Attachment Link)

For my first try at a key cap, I used some resin. You'll naturally have some resin that pours out the edges that you'll need to trim up.  When you pour the resin, you'll need to wait 48 hours before attempting to demold the cap.

I'm not really happy with how it turned out.  The top half turned out alright (the eyes are a little messed up)...but there are some issues once you flip it over.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

As you can see, the stem didn't turn out quite right.  It still fits just fine and actually holds it to the Cherry stem, but it has some wobble and play.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

For a first try, it wasn't horrible, but there certainly needs to be more experimentation with materials used to make it right.

In the future, I might try for lost-wax casting with a fine medium like plaster of paris so I can make a metal cap or see if I can find another fairly affordable medium to use that's better than resin, but not as costly as trying to make a homemade plastic injection mold (which would set me back at least $400).

Very cool post! Yeah, it isn't MILSPEC or anything but I bet it was a lot of fun to do! Keep it up!!

Topre REALFORCE

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 13:10:52 »
I've been playing around with cap making some more of late.  TO be honest, I haven't really stopped since I've been playing with sand casting, wood, and other mediums.  About two months ago I decided to go back to resin though.  As such, Derp Cap v2 is alive.

I'm sitting here and can't stop laughing at the stupid thing.  For some reason I love it in spite of the flaws. 

It's so derpy looking for two reasons.  First, the master got all messed up when I was drying it.  I did some slap dash repairs that, truthfully, didn't help much.  In spite of that, I went ahead and made a mold for it.  Thus comes in part two.  Instead of being a good mold and separating into two parts, it decided I had to cut it in half, messing it up more.  In spite of all the obvious defects (which were clearly present in the original), I love this guy.  I've got a cyclops I should be posting tomorrow or the day after that should look a lot better since there weren't glaring defects with the master.

Hopefully once I get a degassing chamber set up and a find an affordable pressure pot, I'll start to get better results.  I've already gotten good results with more refined models than this special guy, so I have hope.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 December 2013, 13:13:12 by nubbinator »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 13:13:34 »
I want some derp caps I will name them after some of my favorite people here.

Offline jiggityjane

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 13:17:21 »
I've been playing around with cap making some more of late.  TO be honest, I haven't really stopped since I've been playing with sand casting, wood, and other mediums.  About two months ago I decided to go back to resin though.  As such, Derp Cap v2 is alive.

Show Image

I'm sitting here and can't stop laughing at the stupid thing.  For some reason I love it in spite of the flaws. 

It's so derpy looking for two reasons.  First, the master got all messed up when I was drying it.  I did some slap dash repairs that, truthfully, didn't help much.  In spite of that, I went ahead and made a mold for it.  Thus comes in part two.  Instead of being a good mold and separating into two parts, it decided I had to cut it in half, messing it up more.  In spite of all the obvious defects (which were clearly present in the original), I love this guy.  I've got a cyclops I should be posting tomorrow or the day after that should look a lot better since there weren't glaring defects with the master.

Hopefully once I get a degassing chamber set up and a find an affordable pressure pot, I'll start to get better results.  I've already gotten good results with more refined models than this special guy, so I have hope.

I love how I can see your thumbprint in it :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 13:18:11 »

Show Image

That's the little guys hair!! ;)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 13:45:06 »

Yeah, that makes it cooler. Awesome work nubbs.  :thumb:
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 15:30:56 »
I want some derp caps I will name them after some of my favorite people here.

Oh, believe me, I will share the derp.  The bottom turned out fantastic, just the top was all messed up.  I'm just playing around and experimenting more with different designs.  Sadly, one of my favorite ones I did got all messed up when I went to dry it out.  It was just this stupid grin on a cap with no eyes, nose, or any other part of a face.  Kind of like the don't panic face, but oh so much better.  I'm going to try and recreate it because it really was awesome.

That's not a thumb print, it's totally hair :shifty eyes:. 

Yeah, that makes it cooler. Awesome work nubbs.  :thumb:

Thanks.  I'm hoping once I get the degasser set up for my silicone molds and figure out an affordable pressure pot, it will start to turn out much better.  I've already done some that turned out pretty awesome, but I'm not showing off that design yet.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 16:10:03 »
And new color for the derp cap:

I'm having too much fun with these.

And for all of those aspiring cap makers out there, my word of advice is to try a bunch of different resins, experiment with different mold making techniques, and find what works best for you. 

When it comes to coloring the caps, the only stuff I've had consistently good results with is the resin dyes like Alumilite makes and alcohol inks.  Alcohol inks actually seem to help harden up the resin faster and create an overall harder cap.  I want to try India ink, but it's a bit pricey.  And Jacquard Pearl-Ex doesn't work with the resins I've used, but it may work with some polyester resins based on what I've seen.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 16:33:41 »
I use bondo to fill and then resand again. Your imperfections can very easily be removed for a new master.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:03:07 »
I use bondo to fill and then resand again. Your imperfections can very easily be removed for a new master.

Yeah, they definitely can be pretty easily fixed.  I just was never super in love with this one to begin with, partially because of the look on the face, partially because I made the ears a little too big.  It was just a fun little goof.  So I may just continue to use it in all its derpy glory because it's fun.

On the other hand, if I messed up my cyclops, I'd definitely go about fixing it correctly. 

I couldn't wait to show it off.  I should get the base cast today, but the top half is done, so I decided to cast a blank really quick.  I definitely need a pressure pot to help get rid of some of the bubbles.   Too bad they're so damn expensive.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:05:08 »
nice haha, that guys needs some LED love :P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 18:31:38 »

I'll either make a translucent version (but it will have bubbles right now) or drill out the eye.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 18:52:31 »

I'll either make a translucent version (but it will have bubbles right now) or drill out the eye.

drill out the eye

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 03:31:43 »

What material would you use for casting if you wanted to make the cap translucent?
;)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 14:52:50 »
Either smooth on crystal clear or polytech clear most likely. I have had very good results with the smooth on with my pressure pot.

edited to provide more info.
Crystal Clear® 202
http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1156/index.html

here is a link to the Poly-Optic 1410 I was trying to think of
http://polytek.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=257
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2013, 20:34:16 by domoaligato »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 19:48:53 »
And here's the kind of difference you can see with a pressure pot:

Still a little darker than I'd like, meaning I probably need some different dyes, but the cast is nice and bubble free.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 23:17:15 »
Ooh, nice! Looks clean as hell Nub!
;)

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 03:52:23 »
These new caps you are making are looking really, really good to be honest, well done!

The only thing i dislike about them are the fingerprints that seem really visible, if there is a way for you to get rid of them the caps will look even better (imho). But anyway good job!
What the hell am I even doing

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 06:52:45 »
Is that ignite or so strong pigments?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 09:14:17 »
These new caps you are making are looking really, really good to be honest, well done!

The only thing i dislike about them are the fingerprints that seem really visible, if there is a way for you to get rid of them the caps will look even better (imho). But anyway good job!

The newest one, the Hard Knock Waz, doesn't have any noticeable fingerprints and the Cycap has minimal ones.  The Derp Cap v2, well, that was a special beast.

Nope, just a mixed Alumilite pigment and backlit by a light table underneath the cap.  It's incredibly dark unless you have some backlighting under it.  I need to get some more translucent friendly pigments since alcohol inks don't really seem to work with the resin.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 11:10:27 »

The newest one, the Hard Knock Waz, doesn't have any noticeable fingerprints and the Cycap has minimal ones.  The Derp Cap v2, well, that was a special beast.

Nope, just a mixed Alumilite pigment and backlit by a light table underneath the cap.  It's incredibly dark unless you have some backlighting under it.  I need to get some more translucent friendly pigments since alcohol inks don't really seem to work with the resin.

It would be cool if you somehow watermarked your caps by putting your finger print on the inside of the cap or something :)
;)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 16:57:16 »
ignite pigments for me tend to work very well.
they lighten up quite a bit compared to when you mix them into the resin pre-cure.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 00:44:53 »
I'll have to check ignite out then.

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 19:27:25 »
any update on topre keycaps? my hhkb cannot wait  ;D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 19:39:35 »
any update on topre keycaps? my hhkb cannot wait  ;D

I don't have any caps yet to use as masters.  I should pick up a couple Esc row caps from EK, but also would really like an Fn cap.

I do have a new cap design that will be out soon.  It's a fun little hooded figure.  A little less playful than my past designs.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 18:34:59 »
Had some more fun today with some different pigments and seeing how they'd behave.  This new set is really hard to get accurate shots of.  The pictures make them appear to almost have a mother of pearl effect to them.  The copper pigmentation is much less noticeable unless it's under direct light.  And even though they look almost solid in color, they still allow a lot of light through.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 18:36:27 »
Those are ****ing awesome! I don't suppose you'd let me buy that trooper? ;) (Is there an official name for them yet?)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 18:37:56 »
I LOVE those!  Excellent color combinations!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 20:40:29 »
astro-derp  :thumb:

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 20:45:20 »
Had some more fun today with some different pigments and seeing how they'd behave.  This new set is really hard to get accurate shots of.  The pictures make them appear to almost have a mother of pearl effect to them.  The copper pigmentation is much less noticeable unless it's under direct light.  And even though they look almost solid in color, they still allow a lot of light through.

Generally curious are the pigments you are experimenting with not the normal sort for urethane coloring?  Alternative materials?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 22:19:48 »
Holy **** that trooper is epic.. Looks like a Galaxy!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 13:13:21 »
Those are ****ing awesome! I don't suppose you'd let me buy that trooper? ;) (Is there an official name for them yet?)

I think I'll go with nebula for the color.  I had some other ideas, but the comments on the galactic look cemented nebula as the name.  So it will be Nebula Trooper, Nebula HKW, and Nebula Derp cap.

And I'm not sure when I'll put them up for sale.  I want to do some more experiments first.

Thanks!

The colours remind me of this : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Eagle_nebula_pillars.jpg

Amazing.

And you just gave me the name for the colors.

Generally curious are the pigments you are experimenting with not the normal sort for urethane coloring?  Alternative materials?

It's a secret.  ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2014, 13:18:23 by nubbinator »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 16:17:17 »

I think I'll go with nebula for the color.  I had some other ideas, but the comments on the galactic look cemented nebula as the name.  So it will be Nebula Trooper, Nebula HKW, and Nebula Derp cap.

And I'm not sure when I'll put them up for sale.  I want to do some more experiments first.

Thanks!

The colours remind me of this : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Eagle_nebula_pillars.jpg

Amazing.

And you just gave me the name for the colors.

It's a secret.  ;)

Yeah man Im taking a break from buying caps for awhile but Id love to get that Nebula, its amazing...  :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 00:52:38 »
Yeah man Im taking a break from buying caps for awhile but Id love to get that Nebula, its amazing...  :thumb:

Haha, yeah, I was just having fun, but it seems like it's pretty popular.  I'm playing around with some other "nebula" color combos.  One of the ones I did today turned out great.  The other I'm not so happy with the color since it didn't blend as well.  I'll get more pics of those later.

And the other thing I was working on today:

It was just a quick and dirty cast without the stem and outside the pressure pot to make sure the mold was good, but it should give you an idea of what it will look like.  I'm not sure of what to call it yet, but it should be a fun one to work with.  Thanks to how the master was made, the mold should help me be able to get some good and distinct bicolor "doubleshot" type caps with the face one color and the hood and the rest of the cap a second color. So far, this is really my favorite one I've made aside from Hard Knock Waz.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 00:59:46 »

Haha, yeah, I was just having fun, but it seems like it's pretty popular.  I'm playing around with some other "nebula" color combos.  One of the ones I did today turned out great.  The other I'm not so happy with the color since it didn't blend as well.  I'll get more pics of those later.

And the other thing I was working on today:

Show Image

Show Image

It was just a quick and dirty cast without the stem and outside the pressure pot to make sure the mold was good, but it should give you an idea of what it will look like.  I'm not sure of what to call it yet, but it should be a fun one to work with.  Thanks to how the master was made, the mold should help me be able to get some good and distinct bicolor "doubleshot" type caps with the face one color and the hood and the rest of the cap a second color. So far, this is really my favorite one I've made aside from Hard Knock Waz.

Hell yea that nebula color sure is amazing... never seen anything like it! You and Binge sure are coming up with some amazing colors...  :eek:

Nice man! Hooded Skull man! Kind of like Skeletor :P make it purple, black, and off white ;D

Offline Coreda

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 01:15:38 »
Very cool Nubs! They remind me of stop-motion models. Always a special place in my heart.

Has anyone tried 3D printing keycaps? Vaguely remember some thread. Having a set of video game character heads printed from original models would be pretty epic  ;D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 01:25:07 »
Very cool Nubs! They remind me of stop-motion models. Always a special place in my heart.

Has anyone tried 3D printing keycaps? Vaguely remember some thread. Having a set of video game character heads printed from original models would be pretty epic  ;D

You mean like these?  I can't really take credit for the design since I merely used an existing model for keythulhu and combined existing models for the others.  The Noh Demon and rubber ducky are caps I'd been wanting to make for a while, I just don't have the artistic ability to make something as intricate as the Noh Demon.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 01:37:38 »

You mean like these?  I can't really take credit for the design since I merely used an existing model for keythulhu and combined existing models for the others.  The Noh Demon and rubber ducky are caps I'd been wanting to make for a while, I just don't have the artistic ability to make something as intricate as the Noh Demon.

Show Image

Nice ones  :thumb: The devil's in the detail, eh  ;) There totally needs to be some store for such custom 3D keycaps. Who wouldn't want to occasionally splurge on some awesome, unique caps for their board.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 01:53:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That Noh Demon/ Hannya Mask is epic...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Continued experiments in homemade key caps...with interesting results.
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:07:43 »
And here's the stuff I was working on yesterday on my day off and tonight, including the new cap design:

From left to right:  Skeletor, Visitor, and Miami

Nebula series continued.

More nebula series.  I'm not as happy with this one outside of the Trooper cap.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:09:42 »
nubs your caps are crazy!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:10:19 »
 :eek:

They are all great!!!  Especially like all the sparkly caps :)  (Also the miami color combo is my favorite)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 08:07:53 »
The cowled skulls look great -- very nice work on making them two colors like that. Awesome work!
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 23:03:13 »
Three more cowled additions, with the new colors being El Diablo, Pluot, and Sic 'Em.  If you can figure out why the last two have those names, I'll give you dibs on one of the new designs, but you have to get both of them.

and another Cycap and trooper:

Sadly, three of my molds decided to fail tonight, probably because they pre-pressure pot molds not made under pressure, so I can only do Trooper caps and the new cowled figure.  The Derp Cap v2 may be permanently retired.

I'm debating putting them up on Saturday or if I should do a 24 hour notice thing, have a post with all the details, and make it open at a specific time the next day with first come first serve getting it.

:eek:

They are all great!!!  Especially like all the sparkly caps :)  (Also the miami color combo is my favorite)

Thanks.  They're definitely fun to make, though I get a bit impatient sometimes since they can take a few hours to make.

nubs your caps are crazy!

Thanks man!  I'm just having fun making stuff.

The cowled skulls look great -- very nice work on making them two colors like that. Awesome work!

Thanks, though they were more supposed to be some gaunt looking alien than a skull.  They do have a little of the Dia de los Muertes skull look going to them though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 January 2014, 23:19:20 by nubbinator »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 23:18:01 »
the trooper is going to go up for sale?!?!?! :eek: :p :p

Offline illy865

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 00:21:10 »
Three more cowled additions, with the new colors being El Diablo, Pluot, and Sic 'Em.  If you can figure out why the last two have those names, I'll give you dibs on one of the new designs, but you have to get both of them.

Show Image

A pluot is a plum-apricot hybrid, hence the colors (I had some of those somewhat recently)and Sic'em and its colors represent the Sic'em Bears (of Baylor University Football) chant, right?  Is Baylor your alma mater?
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2014, 00:37:32 by illy865 »
AEK - Orange ALPS | Leopold FC700R - Cherry MX Red | CM Storm Quickfire TK - Cherry MX Blue

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 00:31:52 »
And here's the stuff I was working on yesterday on my day off and tonight, including the new cap design:

Show Image

From left to right:  Skeletor, Visitor, and Miami

Show Image

Nebula series continued.

Show Image

More nebula series.  I'm not as happy with this one outside of the Trooper cap.

Love the color names!!! Aliens and Skeletor #winnningggg :ad

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 22:30:34 »
Finally turned my 3D printed DucKey into a cast cap:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 22:31:28 »
Finally turned my 3D printed DucKey into a cast cap:

Show Image

Show Image

Needs to be yellow :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 22:33:03 »
It's definitely planned, just tried it in cyan first.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 22:36:03 »
<-- fully supports the current color choice  ;D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 17:59:10 »
Some new caps on the way to replace my busted molds.  I don't know why, but I kind of like doing runs until the mold self-destructs.

Need some help naming the new designs.  Still not sure how I feel about the close up style Visitor face.

And DucKey and a matching Visitor:

I'm planning some fun translucent hybrids with the DucKey.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:03:23 »
The yellow teeth = 'cheese'

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:08:07 »
Some new caps on the way to replace my busted molds.  I don't know why, but I kind of like doing runs until the mold self-destructs.

Need some help naming the new designs.  Still not sure how I feel about the close up style Visitor face.

Show Image

Is it a dog?  Is it a Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog?

More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:10:59 »
Is it a dog?  Is it a Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog?

Show Image

More
Show Image

It's a thing.  It's kind of bunny-like, kind of I have no clue what the monstrosity is.  The problem with my design is that they're more in the moment.  I have an idea of what I want to make, then almost always end up making something totally different. 

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 19:08:31 »
That cheeky grin and that bunny look fantastic!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 19:14:49 »
Thanks.

I may name the grin 42 or Don't Panic.  The original one I made (and messed up) looked better, but it reminded me some of the smiley face from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy sans tongue.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 22:38:26 »
The DucKey is so cool, what's your method for the different colors?
;)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 22:56:28 »

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 01:07:57 »

Show Image

Haha, fair enough.
;)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 01:36:38 »
Aliennnnn "Visitor" :-) yay

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 06:49:19 »
Oh and there needs to be a white version of the rabbit! :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 23:00:48 »
And some trans versions of the caps:

DucKey - the beak got messed up on this one a little since I didn't get it into the pot fast enough

Don't Panic in attempted Caramel Apple, but more of Panic Green - it lets a fair amount of light through that the pic doesn't show.  It looks solid, but an LED backlights it and bleeds through.

Visitor Demille (congrats if you get the reference) in Black Cherry

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 03:55:36 »
NUBS! That bunny is so amazing!  :eek: Sweet jesus you need to get those out asap! 
sell out and eat ass

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 00:19:05 »
NUBS! That bunny is so amazing!  :eek: Sweet jesus you need to get those out asap!

They'll be coming soon.  Just working on some new designs right now.  A bunny will definitely be making it your way once it's all ready to go.

Here's two new masters.  I'm a little hesitant of the insect cap.  The mandibles may not work, but I want to give it a shot.  If they don't, I can try a small redesign.  Sadly the yellow Sculpey doesn't show detail well, but here's a rough idea of the looks of the two.

And for someone who usually has no ability to do any kind of drawing or sculpting, these are getting better, if I do say so myself.  I'm just having fun messing with this stuff.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 March 2014, 00:20:37 by nubbinator »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 06:34:06 »
interesting as always!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 06:53:29 »
These look great! I like the detail on the compound eyes.
More

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:06:34 »
Fantastic work! I think I need to save some money for the next sale... :rolleyes:

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:16:38 »
Really enjoying the new designs, will definitely try to get one when they become available to the masses. The bunny looks awesome.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 19:57:08 »
Thanks everyone, they'll be coming soon, just pouring the molds right now, then I'll see what does and doesn't work.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some fun doubleshots with the bug since there's pretty good eye isolation.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 02:21:11 »
That apple green is an amazing color blend sir!!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 23:29:04 »
And some of the new design coming soon.  Sorry for the blurriness on the side ones, I don't have a lens that can focus close enough so I have to use a close up filter.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 01:52:23 »
These are looking great! Really loving that fly cap  :thumb:
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 00:38:28 »
Expecting a small sale some time this weekend, including some translucent/opaque hybrid caps.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/tV9LmO5.jpg">>

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Ctog7sI.jpg[img]

I'm also working on a hybrid cap the likes of which has not been done before. Hopefully it turns out the way I want.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 08:46:55 »
Expecting a small sale some time this weekend, including some translucent/opaque hybrid caps.

Oh boy here we go again ;D

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:07:34 »
nubb your designs are great. I love the one you gave me. I am waiting until closer to late spring to restart my work (humidity) and this is just rubbing salt in the wounds. keep up the great work!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 11:35:56 »
I hear you like trans

Is it a cat?  No it's Bavman overlooking the city:

nubb your designs are great. I love the one you gave me. I am waiting until closer to late spring to restart my work (humidity) and this is just rubbing salt in the wounds. keep up the great work!

Thanks man.  I'm looking forward to you restarting too.  It's a fun little hobby.  I'm hoping I get my new design idea done today after I hit up the hair salon. 

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 11:38:29 »
Your designs are so fn cute! ^_^ that plum and gold is simply amazing! The aqua translucent is beautiful.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 11:55:47 »
Sale when :eek:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 11:57:29 »
I hear you like trans

Show Image

Must acquire the one on the right!. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #122 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:42:44 »
hell yeah Nubs! hell yeah! you have gone to outer space and back with these crazy colors! F'n fantastic! cant wait to scoop some evil looking ones next sale! ill be stalking your thread   :cool:  :thumb:
sell out and eat ass

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 01:14:59 »
I hear you like trans

Show Image

Show Image

Is it a cat?  No it's Bavman overlooking the city:

Show Image

Thanks man.  I'm looking forward to you restarting too.  It's a fun little hobby.  I'm hoping I get my new design idea done today after I hit up the hair salon.

That color and material!!!  Super nice!  It looks like tropical water on a sunny day.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 03:09:33 »
Re you open to ideas?
i would really like to see this:

Thanks and keep up with the keycaps!! they look really nice.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 14:11:22 »

There will be a mini trans only sale tonight after the BB and CC sales.

Just a teaser:

Iceberg Blue:

Ocean Blue:

Tsavorite Green:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 16:32:10 »

There will be a mini trans only sale tonight after the BB and CC sales.

Just a teaser:

Iceberg Blue:

Show Image

Ocean Blue:

Show Image

Tsavorite Green:

Show Image

That tsavorite!! <33

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 20:24:28 »
I cant believe I was first for the Tsavorite Green!!! Such a beautiful color! <3 Wow, so happy right now, thanks Nubs!  ;D

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 20:26:17 »
Will you be making any Topre?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 23:42:07 »
Someday when I find some affordable Topre caps.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 20:46:07 »
Slime:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 21:15:29 »
Slime:

Show Image

wow, love your colors man!!!!!  :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 14:33:40 »
Some Glow in the Dark.  I've played around with it in the past, but was never happy with the results.  Finally found something that may work well though.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 23:20:14 »
Some Glow in the Dark.  I've played around with it in the past, but was never happy with the results.  Finally found something that may work well though.

Show Image

Freaking awesome! Good work nubs.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 23:35:29 »
New masters I've been playing around with.  Still waiting for the second one to finish drying.

Jonah:

Heart:

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 23:44:17 »
New masters I've been playing around with.  Still waiting for the second one to finish drying.

Jonah:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Heart:

Show Image

Show Image

Loving the heart!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:48:39 »

Jonah:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Heart:

Show Image

Show Image

Love those designs, particularly Jonah. :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:15:37 »
Had a little fun with the new mold when I got home.  Not sure how many of these I can make since I made it a two part mold when it really should have been a three parter.  My next one of these I'll be making will be what I'm calling a clockwork heart.  Test caps of Jonah and Dolly will come soon.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:17:21 »
I <3 Nubbs work! :)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:18:51 »
So cool nubs! You should make a brain as well and call them the wizard of Oz set haha
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:20:07 »
So cool nubs! You should make a brain as well and call them the wizard of Oz set haha

But how does one make courage?

Edit:  I have another fun idea in the works that I've talked to Badwrench about, but I'm still figuring out the best way to do it.  One of the problems is figuring out how to do it without losing money on it if I stick to my no more than $20 shipped for a cap rule (which I'm trying very hard to do).
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:23:04 by nubbinator »

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:20:08 »
What would you do for courage?
EDIT: Nubs beat me to it. :))

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:27:56 »

Edit:  I have another fun idea in the works that I've talked to Badwrench about, but I'm still figuring out the best way to do it.  One of the problems is figuring out how to do it without losing money on it if I stick to my no more than $20 shipped for a cap rule (which I'm trying very hard to do).

Balls!

I don't think people would be too concerned with paying extra if it means you making some coin.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:44:48 »

Balls!

I don't think people would be too concerned with paying extra if it means you making some coin.
Truth! That heart is sweet and your latest batch of GID stuff looked awesome as well - definitely would like to see what else comes out of your workshop, especially if we help ya purchase new tools or materials or just fund the time to allow the magic to happen. Keycaps are my new pogs.  :))
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:13:29 »
And first cap made with the Dolly mold.  I decided to have some fun and goof around with it and show off the potential for quad shot caps, more if you wanted two different colored eyes or the ears to be a different color.

I'm still learning the mold and a new resin, so it's not quite perfect, but I like it.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:17:43 »
And first cap made with the Dolly mold.  I decided to have some fun and goof around with it and show off the potential for quad shot caps, more if you wanted two different colored eyes or the ears to be a different color.

Show Image

Show Image

I'm still learning the mold and a new resin, so it's not quite perfect, but I like it.

Whoaaa.. Loving the quad shot man! Talented!

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:20:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

sell out and eat ass

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:21:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

hahaha best response ever!!

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:22:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

WOW! Quad shot is awesome. :thumb:

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 02:07:51 »
Those new designs are really cool, if not a little disturbing.  Jonah reminds me of something terrible I saw on the internet, and the heart looks so grotesque and squishy.  I love how the heart's base appears to also have some texture to it.  Not sure if I could touch this cap since it makes me feel squeamish, haha.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 02:16:06 »
Those new designs are really cool, if not a little disturbing.  Jonah reminds me of something terrible I saw on the internet, and the heart looks so grotesque and squishy.  I love how the heart's base appears to also have some texture to it.  Not sure if I could touch this cap since it makes me feel squeamish, haha.

After I made Jonah, I was informed of the goatse-esque nature of it, but I still love it.  It's different, a little dark, but still kind of whimsical and I love whimsy. 

The heart's base does have some texture.  And if you look closely at the heart itself, you can see some of the cross-hatching and other textural elements I added to it to try and make it more interesting.  I actually showed it to one of my non-keyboard nerd co-workers today and he said it was awesome.  With that one, I'm going to be doing some terrible, yet awesome, pop-culture/literary names for colors, like A Clockwork Heart, Heart of Darkness, A Telltale Heart, and so on.  I'm just going to have fun like I always try to.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 08:10:09 »

Paint Dolly up to look like the Cowardly Lion

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 18:36:40 »
The heart's base does have some texture.  And if you look closely at the heart itself, you can see some of the cross-hatching and other textural elements I added to it to try and make it more interesting.  I actually showed it to one of my non-keyboard nerd co-workers today and he said it was awesome.  With that one, I'm going to be doing some terrible, yet awesome, pop-culture/literary names for colors, like A Clockwork Heart, Heart of Darkness, A Telltale Heart, and so on.  I'm just going to have fun like I always try to.

Yup, I had seen the texture on the heart and was wondering if the texture on the base was intentional.  Very cool and intricate detailing!

I imagine that having a row of these hearts on a board would be a gruesome but impressive sight.  Don't forget to do "Heart of Glass". :)

edit:  hmm trans heart with solid colored veins.  icky.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #154 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:21:19 »
Since the veins are subtractive, not additive (meaning carved in not built on top), it would be tough to so solid color veins.  I may be able to paint some, I'll have to play around with that.

And here's A Tell Tale Heart:

It didn't turn out exactly as I planned, but I still like it.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:09:49 »
I think it looked much cooler before with the solid red.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:31:32 »
Since the veins are subtractive, not additive (meaning carved in not built on top), it would be tough to so solid color veins.  I may be able to paint some, I'll have to play around with that.

And here's A Tell Tale Heart:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It didn't turn out exactly as I planned, but I still like it.
OH MY GOD THIS IS THE COOLEST! Will you be making more of these? Because I would totally be interested in one.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 05:07:27 »
Needs a pulsating LED underneath :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:14:30 »
First try at a quintuple shot cap for riotonthebay:

And Jonah in custom colors for Tigersharkdude:

Now the new quad shot Dolly caps

Unfortunately, one of them had some issues when it was being cast, so it has a crater face:

Then had some fun with Jonah:

A little Skully action:

Ba'man didn't want to be left out:

The Tell Tale Heart:

Bleeding Heart:

Bubblegum *****:

Island of Misfit Toys:

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:22:29 »
I'll take the "crater face" if you are just going to discard it :P

and so many other wants, but I've spent all of my "keycap money" for the month
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:24:30 by tigersharkdude »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #160 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:25:01 »
It's going to be sold as a discount second in a sale in the near future.  The Island of Misfit Toys will be freebies in the sale.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:27:35 »
It's going to be sold as a discount second in a sale in the near future.  The Island of Misfit Toys will be freebies in the sale.
Will the Tell Tale Heart be for sale soon too?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:36:34 »

Yup. I'm planning on either a Friday after work, Saturday, or Sunday sale.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:42:05 »

Yup. I'm planning on either a Friday after work, Saturday, or Sunday sale.
I'll keep my eyes peeled. ;D

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:04:12 »

it was worth a shot .... Lol

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:05:41 »
Nubbs that heart one looks hella cool. Great work!
github

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:16:39 »
The quad shot Dolly caps are so damn adorable. They made me giggle like a lil' Japanese school girl.

« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:18:44 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:39:49 »
God damn it that gif makes me go d'aww every time.
github

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 00:46:42 »
Those hearts look really great, especially the Tell Tale one with the embedded strip in it.  Very cool idea.  And Dolly in Spumoni colors!  Great work, Nubs!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 01:00:10 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 03:11:36 »
Visitor! :D

Man you have some talent with color shots my friend!

Cool caps!

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 04:36:52 »
Those Dollys look awesome! And a triple shot skully :eek:

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 04:41:52 »
The hearts are awesome-looking.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 13:45:00 »
The hearts are awesome-looking.

Any update on shipping for the caps that you made for myself and a few others, Nubz?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:39:32 »
Quote from: tigersharkdude link=topic=41371.msg1362058#msg1362058

Any update on shipping for the caps that you made for myself and a few others, Nubz?

They'll ship no later than this Saturday like I said in the PM.  I haven't had the chance to get to the post with your and riotonthebay's caps and extras yet, but it will be soon. 

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:42:52 »
Quote from: tigersharkdude link=topic=41371.msg1362058#msg1362058

They'll ship no later than this Saturday like I said in the PM.  I haven't had the chance to get to the post with your and riotonthebay's caps and extras yet, but it will be soon.

no pm here

and that sounds great. Im on edge because IMSTO had a group buy on some caps that ended in may and he has not replied to anybody about an update on it
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:46:45 by tigersharkdude »

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 13:19:40 »
Received a package from Nubbinator today ...... WOOTAGE!

Nice oversized box here, no damage at all to the contents

Big air packet inside and some bubble wrap

This epic, Im keeping it for sure

Custom colored Jonah cap

Looky what we have here, an extra free cap ... thats awesome, Nubz

Shot with both caps on the board (excuse the cat hair and dust, I have 4 "mini tigers")

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 13:38:46 »
Received a package from Nubbinator today ...... WOOTAGE!

Nice oversized box here, no damage at all to the contents
Show Image

Big air packet inside and some bubble wrap
Show Image

This epic, Im keeping it for sure
Show Image

Custom colored Jonah cap
Show Image

Looky what we have here, an extra free cap ... thats awesome, Nubz
Show Image

Shot with both caps on the board (excuse the cat hair and dust, I have 4 "mini tigers")
Show Image

Show Image

Very nice photos! I love when items are packed proper!

Damn your case looks rad man.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 13:47:08 »
yeah, amazing packaging.

and gracias on the case compliments

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 15:11:05 »

Updates if the 'Murica caps I spontaneously decided to make today turn out.  I'm afraid the red is too light though...and the fact that I just blue myself.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 15:17:43 »
I need a 'Murica cap, **** it!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 21:27:25 »
So, on the note of blueing myself,  I was an idiot and exploded liquid dye all over me.  The shirt and pants are fine (after running cold water over them for way too long), but I ruined an awesome pair of shoes. It took a **** ton of cleaning and rubbing alcohol to get my body less blue.  Mental note, don't be a dumbass.

In other news, there will be a flash sale in my last sale thread in the artisan section some time tomorrow after I get some pics done and up.  I'll have a triple shot Scully, a pair of quad shot Dollies, a triple shot Ba'Man, and a doubleshot Visitor (assuming fitment is good on all of them, I'll test before listing).  Some are pure solids, some are solid/semi-trans hybrids.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 21:42:00 »
So, on the note of blueing myself,  I was an idiot and exploded liquid dye all over me.  The shirt and pants are fine (after running cold water over them for way too long), but I ruined an awesome pair of shoes. It took a **** ton of cleaning and rubbing alcohol to get my body less blue.  Mental note, don't be a dumbass.

In other news, there will be a flash sale in my last sale thread in the artisan section some time tomorrow after I get some pics done and up.  I'll have a triple shot Scully, a pair of quad shot Dollies, a triple shot Ba'Man, and a doubleshot Visitor (assuming fitment is good on all of them, I'll test before listing).  Some are pure solids, some are solid/semi-trans hybrids.

I know that feel, bro :hugs: I had a bottle of black RIT dye spill onto a white polo and my AirMax's :(

And subscribed for updates

Ps: the amount of 'Murica in this thread is lacking

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 21:47:00 »

That sucks about the shoes.  I learned a long time ago that while working in the garage or with things that will be permanent to wear old crappy clothes. 

Hopefully I will be home early enough to check out the sale.  I am automatically part of the decorating crew for my Wife's VBS (she is running of it), so the next 2 weeks are going to be very busy. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline paulen

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 04:36:39 »
First try at a quintuple shot cap for riotonthebay:

Show Image

And Jonah in custom colors for Tigersharkdude:

Show Image

Now the new quad shot Dolly caps

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Unfortunately, one of them had some issues when it was being cast, so it has a crater face:

Show Image

Then had some fun with Jonah:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

A little Skully action:

Show Image

Show Image

Ba'man didn't want to be left out:

Show Image

The Tell Tale Heart:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Bleeding Heart:

Show Image

Bubblegum *****:

Show Image

Island of Misfit Toys:

Show Image

Show Image

I like that The Tell Tale Heart, good work!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 19:31:51 »
Regulator went out on the pressure pot :(  Time to buy a new one.

In the meantime, some caps that were made before the regulator took a dive.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:15:28 »
Interesting!

Those Fn keys, particularly the second one, does that say something?  Or it is random shapes?

The shapes on the front of the keycap almost look like "GAMER".

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:31:23 »
Interesting!

Those Fn keys, particularly the second one, does that say something?  Or it is random shapes?

The shapes on the front of the keycap almost look like "GAMER".

Nope, just a random shape.  With enough practice, I could probably write words

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:22:52 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Man, that is a sweet looking board :)
Hi :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:27:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I know, right? ;)

It will be making its way back to you shortly.  I'm trying to work out a cap that you would like.  I've got one done that might work, but haven't had a chance to photograph it yet.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:44:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I know, right? ;)

It will be making its way back to you shortly.  I'm trying to work out a cap that you would like.  I've got one done that might work, but haven't had a chance to photograph it yet.

Haha no worries man, I have been busy with the 87ub :)  You don't have to photograph it, I like surprises! 
Hi :)

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:32:08 »
These keycaps are amazing, Nubb!

Just read through the whole thread, great read.

It seems like you've gained quite a bit of skill at this since you started.

My favourite is probably the 'skully'.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:55:46 »
I've just read through the whole thread.

Excellent work and very informative!
Biking is fun.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 20:34:35 »

Show Image

Officially in love with this Dolly!

Offline BritishBulldog

« Reply #194 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 11:33:39 »
I'm just at the beginning of my journey as a cacup maker. For now, my ceiling is to paint a beautifully 3d printed cupcake. But the difference between the first and last OPa makeup is inspiring to me!

Offline HOBI3CAT

• FraktalKaps.com
    • Fraktal Kaps Website
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 20:24:32 »
Can't believe I've never seen this thread!  :))

You've come a long way Nubb! I'm honored to be working with you like I am  :thumb:

Eat, Sleep, Resin, Repeat.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 05:27:47 »
Can't believe I've never seen this thread!  :))

You've come a long way Nubb! I'm honored to be working with you like I am  :thumb:

Show Image

Whaaaaaat are these new nubbinator caps??
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150