Author Topic: CNC Manufacturer  (Read 2291 times)

Offline AuthenticDanger

CNC Manufacturer
« on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 11:06:20 »
Anyone have recommendations on a shop to get cases milled? My design is around 340x100mm with 9 M2 threaded standoffs. I've submitted RFQs with all the places I could find by googling "CNC quote" and "milled aluminum quote" but if anyone has a hidden gem, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks!
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline mkarlsson

Re: CNC Manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 05:33:12 »
Anyone have recommendations on a shop to get cases milled? My design is around 340x100mm with 9 M2 threaded standoffs. I've submitted RFQs with all the places I could find by googling "CNC quote" and "milled aluminum quote" but if anyone has a hidden gem, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks!

Protocase has now milling services. I've never talked with them about doing a keyboard case but they might be able...

http://www.protocase.com/products/electronic-enclosures/machined.php

Good luck.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: CNC Manufacturer
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:25:54 »

Thanks!
Have you done any CAD work that has gone to manufacturing? Do you at least have a 3d printer?

Not to be a downer, just trying to be realistic.
Odds of you designing a case and having it work first time is slim to none (even if you have files from a working design), in fact it's likely to take 3 tries before it is even actually functional and more to get it to how you want it due to tolerances and the fact that seeing something on a screen is very different than holding it in your hand. Another thing you need to understand is that machine shops really hate one off work, so either you will pay through the nose, or you will have to wait for a lull in normal production stuff before you get a slot in line. Even if you reach this point, how your case is designed can make a huge impact on how much you have to pay and odds are, without that experience your case will be more expensive. Exact material type (aluminum isn't specific enough), how many operations will it require, how thick is the chunk you start with, machine time, tool changes, they all play a part in how much it will cost, and done wrong can nearly double the cost of something rather quickly.

As for the machine shop itself, they tend to fall into one of two categories... You can find them but they are super busy and will give you an insanely high price because they don't want or need the work (a one off is an inconvenience for them), or they need the work, but you can't find them and they can't find you. That said, unless you have connections, expect several months turn around on each one made and don't be surprised if you are into this for well over $1000 (or several for that matter) by the time you have what you want.

My advice, switch to Plexiglass design which can be done on a laser or waterjet or don't go down this path unless you have some experience and/or connections to pull it off, it's simply not really worth it for a computer case.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion