Author Topic: Actual weight and feel of quiet switches  (Read 2971 times)

Offline wendell

Actual weight and feel of quiet switches
« on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:36:41 »
The initial description of the Matias quiet switches was that their activation weight would be 55-65g. That's a pretty big spread. For those of you who have the Quiet Pro, what is the actual weight and variability of the switches?

From a few descriptions, it sounds like the quiet switches would feel a bit like the old Fujitsu Peerless, with a muffled click and a cushioned landing. Or, do they feel more like a Topre 55g?

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
Re: Actual weight and feel of quiet switches
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 13:25:20 »
IIRC Edgar Matias has described the Quiet switches in geekhack posts as a relatively strict 60g +/- 5g. This is actually much more precise/consistent than Cherry MX or Topre.

I think most people would find Matias to feel a bit lighter on the downstroke than Topre 55g, and springier on the return (something the old dampened ALPS in the AEKII was appreciated for).

Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline wendell

Re: Actual weight and feel of quiet switches
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 19:34:12 »
Several buyers have said they found the action lighter than expected, so I'd like to get some measurements.

There is a good review, but it doesn't give this specific info.
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/topre-vs-matias-silent-switches-my-first-impressions-t5357.html