Author Topic: MK Newb! PLZ Halp!  (Read 1603 times)

Offline HotTahdy

MK Newb! PLZ Halp!
« on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 10:04:31 »
I am a fairly new mechanical keyboard enthusiast who is super interest in building a kit.

My question is: What is a good/budget kit for a beginner (who has no soldering experience YET)?

There are so many cool group buys that I think look great but I am not confident enough in my skill to invest 300+ on kit.

I idea kit would be a 65%-80% size range.

I have a Corsair M70 with MX browns and I recently bought a Ducky One2 Mini 60% with brown switches. I like the ducky but I would like a bigger size plus my S switch is already acting funny and spamming additional S's when I am typing which is annoying.

Offline Tactile

Re: MK Newb! PLZ Halp!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 10:33:43 »
REΛLFORCE

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 10:51:35 »
kbdfans also has some hot swappable kits that seem pretty simple to assemble. From what I've heard, they're fairly decent build quality but have issues with reverb. Maybe learning how to sound dampen the kit could be your first mod?

https://kbdfans.com/ (specifically the Tofu wkl and hhkb variants)
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline HotTahdy

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 13:14:08 »
I have been looking at some different sites and it seems like KPRepublic has some cheap kits that I can learn to solder with.

I was looking at the XD87: https://kprepublic.com/products/xd87-xd87-xd80-custom-mechanical-keyboard-kit80-supports-tkg-tools-support-underglow-rgb-pcb-programmed-gh80-kle?_pos=6&_sid=1868df9cf&_ss=r&variant=10176717619244

Thoughts?

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 07:04:07 »
- get a contra, or kits with low cost sandwich plates, or even plateless
- get a solder iron with temp control

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 11:24:51 »

I would second this -- soldering really isn't difficult and certainly nothing to be afraid of. You don't need a top of the line Weller either; find something passable for a few bucks. Watch a few videos and use common sense; if I can do it, you can too :)

Soldering will open this hobby up, and, in my opinion, give you the added confidence to play around. You also seem open to learning, so that's the first step.

If you want to go the soldering route (and don't mind a 60%), the GH60 is a solid, inexpensive option that's practically universally supported.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline HotTahdy

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 12:35:19 »

I would second this -- soldering really isn't difficult and certainly nothing to be afraid of. You don't need a top of the line Weller either; find something passable for a few bucks. Watch a few videos and use common sense; if I can do it, you can too :)

Soldering will open this hobby up, and, in my opinion, give you the added confidence to play around. You also seem open to learning, so that's the first step.

If you want to go the soldering route (and don't mind a 60%), the GH60 is a solid, inexpensive option that's practically universally supported.

Thank you!! Yeah Soldering is definitely the most intimidating thing for me but I have watched some videos on soldering and I like watching the Taeha Types and Keycult streams whenever they are building a kit. I have looked at the GH60 but I think I am going to look for 65% because I really want the directional keys haha.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:33:53 »
65% is what you'll find in the enthusiast community, not in cheap DIY kits. I don't know of many cheap 65% kits. The cheapest one I know of is the Tada68 by KBDfans, and that sets you back a solid amount (90 bucks).

Hope you find something,
treeleaf64
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!