Author Topic: Filco or Ducky?  (Read 12885 times)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Re: Filco or Ducky?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:48:56 »
Experience will vary but most will agree that filco makes sturdy keyboard and most are content with the browns. I just feel like ducky's keyboards feel a little cheap

Have you ever tried a Ducky, by any chance? Because I very, very strongly doubt you'd feel that way if you did.

Ive had a ducky and a filco

The only diff i felt was the stabalizers

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:54:39 »
Experience will vary but most will agree that filco makes sturdy keyboard and most are content with the browns. I just feel like ducky's keyboards feel a little cheap

Have you ever tried a Ducky, by any chance? Because I very, very strongly doubt you'd feel that way if you did.

^^
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 23:10:09 »

I concur.    However I do use my Filco's more than my Ducky's.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 08:19:42 »

my ducky was lighter than my filco.
The ducky's about 2.8lbs while the filco clocks in around 3.6lbs.

I agree on the stabs feeling diff, but also the "feel" of the keyboards was different.  I think the rubber feet on the ducky aren't as "grippy" as the filco.

Course the ducky PBT caps are superior to Filco's ABS caps though.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 08:22:19 »

my ducky was lighter than my filco.
The ducky's about 2.8lbs while the filco clocks in around 3.6lbs.

I agree on the stabs feeling diff, but also the "feel" of the keyboards was different.  I think the rubber feet on the ducky aren't as "grippy" as the filco.

Course the ducky PBT caps are superior to Filco's ABS caps though.

Hmm never noticed that before. Both feel equally grippy

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 09:12:39 »
Anyone notice that ducky lubes their switches?  I have noticed this on 2 differnt ducky keyboards a brown and a black.  They felt super smooth compared to any other band new black or brown I have tried.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline dante

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 09:28:31 »
If anyone is leaning towards Ducky but wants something cheaper without backlit and Tenkeyless - MechanicalKeyboards.com just got the 2087 Zero's in.  The stabilizers should feel much better than the ones in the Shine 2.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 09:32:53 »
If anyone is leaning towards Ducky but wants something cheaper without backlit and Tenkeyless - MechanicalKeyboards.com just got the 2087 Zero's in.  The stabilizers should feel much better than the ones in the Shine 2.

If only they had one with clears... :(

Offline dante

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 09:38:19 »

Which baffles me.  Ducky has only sold MX Clears on the full size.  If the switches are that hard to acquire you'd think they'd stretch them out on TKL or 60% boards.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 13:14:52 »

Which baffles me.  Ducky has only sold MX Clears on the full size.  If the switches are that hard to acquire you'd think they'd stretch them out on TKL or 60% boards.

I would theorize that they don't sell too many to laypersons who don't know what Clears are.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Tony

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 11:11:47 »
I have typed on both and I think Filco is slightly better. For Ducky lighting led, you will enjoy it for a month only but the Filco typing feel you can enjoy much longer.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline ~OmIfan~

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 10:41:21 »
if you play cs:go. which is FPS game. you should buy the one with red switch, since you probably gonna double tap a lot. and if you don't need backlighting you should choose Filco

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 10:50:12 »
Depends on what you are after. If somehow backlight is important to you, the Ducky is more appealing. If, for example, you prefer Costar stabilizers, I would say the edge goes to the Filco. Personally I went with Filco when given the choice.

if you play cs:go. which is FPS game. you should buy the one with red switch, since you probably gonna double tap a lot. and if you don't need backlighting you should choose Filco

It is mostly just personal preference, and in no way do you need reds to perform well in CS:GO. Steelseries sponsored teams all use blacks (like NIP, f0rest, GeT_RiGhT) on the Steelseries mech keyboards (though truth be told, there is no way to tell whether they changed the switches). Yet others use different switches. Arguably the most dominant player ever in his prime used rubber dome.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 December 2013, 10:54:06 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline tbc

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 20:58:49 »
My friend owns a Ducky and Rosewill keyboard and he says it's sad that the cheaper keyboard (Rosewill) feels nicer to type on.

And Filco is better than Rosewill so therefore it's safe to assume Filco will feel nicer to type on than Ducky.

That and I own a Filco too.  It's the standard for solid construction no gimmick keyboard.

So the question is if you want a good solid keyboard or if you want pretty lights.

I think that you're not considering them fairly at all. First of all, all keyboards with plates feel extremely similar if not the same. Case construction might change that, but everything that isn't a Korean custom is plastic anyways. From all of the reviews I've read, the Ducky is always mentioned as very high build quality, quite heavy (whether this speaks to the double-layer PCB or just better case construction, I don't know), and the Ducky Yellow which recently came out has very thick PBT caps, much better than the often-complained-about thin ABS on the Filco.

Filco really doesn't live up to its hype. With Ducky, I don't mind paying $140 on a keyboard because it has solid construction, developed lighting, which actually took a lot of research, and is customizable. The Filco, in comparison, is a barebones, featureless keyboard; the same as a QFR, but at over double the price.

A better comparison would be if you want a tank or an Audi. Both are good choices.

Remember this is geekhack, where usb ports are contraband and backlights are too hard to turn off.

Having extra features IS a sign of bad quality here.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 21:13:39 »
I have typed on both and I think Filco is slightly better. For Ducky lighting led, you will enjoy it for a month only but the Filco typing feel you can enjoy much longer.

How is the typing feel different? Does the typing actually feel different, or is it just a difference in feel of the keyboard chassis?

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 21:30:12 »
More

How is the typing feel different? Does the typing actually feel different, or is it just a difference in feel of the keyboard chassis?
I don't see any difference in the feel/experience in typing in a Filco - they use coated ABS - the same with Ducky. Unless you're comparing two boards with different MX switches.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 21:41:35 »
Are you speaking from experience with actually typing on a Filco, or are you speaking hypothetically (ie. "I don't see why Filco would be any different")?

Offline Tony

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 21:51:03 »

Filco typing feel is more delicate and simply amazing, while Ducky is a bit more coarse and not so good. I don't know whether it is a reason of chassis you mentioned.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 22:17:34 »
I see... yea, I have to assume it's the Costar (delicate) vs. Cherry (coarse) stabilizers you're seeing the differences in and referring to. If that's the case, I have no problem with Cherry stabilizers (I actually prefer them), so I guess I wouldn't mind a non-Filco board at all...

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 01:01:39 »
Are you speaking from experience with actually typing on a Filco, or are you speaking hypothetically (ie. "I don't see why Filco would be any different")?
I own a DK9008S3 and tried a Filco. Almost feel the same - except for the stabilizers. If you don't want a LED backlit mkb - you could also try Ducky Zero to be on(almost) par with Filco's specs.

Also, I would also like to suggest you to check out WASD keyboards :)
*pushing a third option  :p

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 03:47:33 »
^ Thank you for the FYI. Would it be safe to say that the stabilizers are pretty much the ONLY difference? Or were there other differences as well?

Offline Tony

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 04:17:39 »
I see... yea, I have to assume it's the Costar (delicate) vs. Cherry (coarse) stabilizers you're seeing the differences in and referring to. If that's the case, I have no problem with Cherry stabilizers (I actually prefer them), so I guess I wouldn't mind a non-Filco board at all...

The typing feel difference is clearly inherent in alphabetical keys which has no stabilizers at all. If you own both brands, you will understand what I mean without any intellectual rationalization from your part. You feel it.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 04:28:19 »

The typing feel difference is clearly inherent in alphabetical keys which has no stabilizers at all. If you own both brands, you will understand what I mean without any intellectual rationalization from your part. You feel it.

Oh, thanks for clearing up the fact that I was intellectually rationalizing. Maybe I will have to strongly consider a Filco after all!
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 04:30:26 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline amos5606

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 05:27:57 »
I think Filco is much better than ducky, I don't like the light  when I'm typing.
 :p
But, ducky is much more creative than filco.
What will fill your hearts with delight ,,

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 06:40:16 »
More
My friend owns a Ducky and Rosewill keyboard and he says it's sad that the cheaper keyboard (Rosewill) feels nicer to type on.

And Filco is better than Rosewill so therefore it's safe to assume Filco will feel nicer to type on than Ducky.

That and I own a Filco too.  It's the standard for solid construction no gimmick keyboard.

So the question is if you want a good solid keyboard or if you want pretty lights.

I think that you're not considering them fairly at all. First of all, all keyboards with plates feel extremely similar if not the same. Case construction might change that, but everything that isn't a Korean custom is plastic anyways. From all of the reviews I've read, the Ducky is always mentioned as very high build quality, quite heavy (whether this speaks to the double-layer PCB or just better case construction, I don't know), and the Ducky Yellow which recently came out has very thick PBT caps, much better than the often-complained-about thin ABS on the Filco.

Filco really doesn't live up to its hype. With Ducky, I don't mind paying $140 on a keyboard because it has solid construction, developed lighting, which actually took a lot of research, and is customizable. The Filco, in comparison, is a barebones, featureless keyboard; the same as a QFR, but at over double the price.

A better comparison would be if you want a tank or an Audi. Both are good choices.

Remember this is geekhack, where usb ports are contraband and backlights are too hard to turn off.

I would also like to add that having a huge price tag - doesn't mean high quality parts/build.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 10:11:07 »
+1 for Filco

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 14:34:15 »

+10

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 16:08:51 »
I think Filco is much better than ducky, I don't like the light  when I'm typing.
 :p
But, ducky is much more creative than filco.

Welcome to Geekhack!

You can always turn the backlighting off, but then if you are going to keep it turned off you might as well get a board without backlighting.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ