Author Topic: Maltron layout on Kinesis  (Read 16682 times)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
Maltron layout on Kinesis
« on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:51:54 »
Has anyone configured a Kinesis Advantage (or other 3d/contoured model) to use the Maltron layout? What were the results? Thanks in advance to any who can enlighten. :)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: Maltron layout on Kinesis
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:20:43 »
I took a stab at it awhile back.  One problem I had was the difference in the amount of keys between the two boards.  My Maltron has 7 thumbs keys and Kinesis only has 6.  Also, my Maltron has a slightly weird layout with the bottom row having parentheses and brackets on opposite sides of the board rather than their usual position, so that caused some issues.  But the Layout on my Maltron is the most logical layout I've seen.

However, it can be done and I might try it again if I want to commit to a new layout.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:43:54 »
The Maltron layout seems like one of the most sensible that I've seen, but hard to convince one's self to spend a grand on a keyboard. Wish there was better news about the Kinesis, but I suppose it makes sense if they were trying to skirt trademark/copyright issues.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 19:59:47 »
Here is a photo of my Maltron with the unique layout.  Notice the location of the modifiers, parentheses, brackets, slashes, It was a layout they made for a short run awhile back, but the new Maltrons do not have this layout. 

I have considered getting rid of this keyboard so many times to make a few extra dollars, but every time I start typing on this board, I fall in love again.  This layout is pretty impossible to find unless you get one of those programmable Maltrons.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 05:56:04 »
Very nice! Is that an 89 or a 90 series?

Also, I can't help but think of it as the "Thor" layout, myself.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 07:36:41 »
Very nice! Is that an 89 or a 90 series?

Also, I can't help but think of it as the "Thor" layout, myself.

Actually I think my keyboard is old enough to be an 88 series, which us very similar to an 89 series.  I vastly prefer the 89 series layout over the 90 series.  The 90 series tried to make things similar to you typical ANSI layout, which ruins some of the appeal and advantages of the Maltron in the first place.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 01:22:18 »
Other random question -- is the method for switching key layouts on the Maltron hardware or software?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 06:09:07 »
Other random question -- is the method for switching key layouts on the Maltron hardware or software?

Hardware.  I can switch the layout with the push of a button.  Much like the switch on a Kinesis between QWERTY AND Dvorak.

Offline Treknology

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 21:58:11 »
Here is a photo of my Maltron with the unique layout.  Notice the location of the modifiers, parentheses, brackets, slashes, It was a layout they made for a short run awhile back, but the new Maltrons do not have this layout. 

I have considered getting rid of this keyboard so many times to make a few extra dollars, but every time I start typing on this board, I fall in love again.  This layout is pretty impossible to find unless you get one of those programmable Maltrons.

Apart from the trackball, that's pretty much the same as the layout I have. I'm actually looking for older units (Model B) which still have the Function keys in a straight line along the back.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 03:18:14 »
The Maltron layout seems like one of the most sensible that I've seen, but hard to convince one's self to spend a grand on a keyboard. Wish there was better news about the Kinesis, but I suppose it makes sense if they were trying to skirt trademark/copyright issues.

They turn up on ebay.co.uk quite often.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline dantan

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 13:56:27 »

They turn up on ebay.co.uk quite often.

Doesn't make them any more affordable unfortunately.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 16:25:07 »
See my sig for the Advantage layout I use. I tried to take the best from my idea of the Maltron design, having never used one....

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 07:24:05 »
I ended up getting an ErgoDox and putting a rough approximation of the Maltron layout on it. Took some getting used to, but it does feel a bit more comfortable after coding jags than the qwerty I was using with it initially.