Author Topic: On backspace keys: Which one do you prefer and why: 1u / 2u row 1, 1.5 row 2.  (Read 14426 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
The standard backspace is on row 1 and it is 2 units long in ANSI, for ISO you could find the same or a 1u one; also, the HHKB layout has popularized the use of 1.5u row 2 backspace, which one and why do you prefer?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
US ANSI layout with 2x Backspace.

Years ago I alternated between keyboards with various layouts, including 1x Backspace (with 1x \| to its left), and 2x Backspace.

I think most of the keyboards had 2x Backspace, and I just became more and more used to that layout, to the point of greatly preferring it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I feel close to that, now, I use the HHKB layout with 1.5 units row 2 backspace and an ANSO layout with 2 units row 1 one, I feel I bit better with the later one.

Offline vvp

It is best when it is on a split space bar. 2x ANSI is the second option.

Offline Findecanor

for ISO you could find the same or a 1u one
Nitpicker here... Typical ISO keyboards for Windows PCs use 2u Backspace keys. It is JIS layout that has a 1u Backspace. Apple has 1.5u in ANSI and ISO but 1u in JIS.

Applying Fitt's law, the time it takes to hit a key is a function of the the ratio between the distance from a finger and the size of the key. Therefore, a 2u Backspace is objectively easier to hit than a 1u Backspace because it is both bigger and closer to the hand. There is not a big difference between a HHKB-style Backspace and a 2u Backspace.

Splitting the Space Bar is hugely superior though - because the thumb is already on Backspace, and those keys also tend to be larger than 2u.

BTW, different keycap manufacturers number rows in different ways. Signature Plastics starts with the numeric row as row 1 and WASD keyboards starts with he Space Bar row as row 1.
There is an ISO/IEC standard for keyboard row (and key) labelling though, and that is to use letters of the alphabet. with Row A is the Space bar's and row E is the numeric row. Cherry, Topre and Leopold use ISO labelling for their keycaps. (ISO calls the function-key row "row K" though (...) but everyone would understand if you would say "Row F" or "F-Row".)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 October 2016, 04:55:07 by Findecanor »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
I prefer the HHKB style backspace, much easier to use as it's closer and I can stay on the home row (I have smaller hands :rolleyes:).

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
As an ISO user who presses the big enter at the top I got my head around backspace being in row 2, but I couldn't stop hitting enter in the same place so out of the choices given 2u row 1 for me.

That said all my programmable boards have Colemak backspace (caps lock) as I type more than I use ctrl and caps lock is a waste of a key.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

That said all my programmable boards have Colemak backspace (caps lock) [...]
I wonder, do you prefer a stepped or a full-width Colemak backspace key?

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
1u/2u on the thumb cluster. Size doesn't matter, just the position. :P

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
That said all my programmable boards have Colemak backspace (caps lock) [...]
I wonder, do you prefer a stepped or a full-width Colemak backspace key?

Full size - why move further than you have to :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Thumb keys aside, like on ANSI HHKB, but I use a wide mod, i.e., my right-hand-side keys are shifted one column to the right, thus I get to reach the spacebar from the home-row resting position without moving/rotating the whole arm (besides the benefit of extra hand separation).

I've switched from Colemak's CapsLock-as-Backpace to this, because it's a better utilization of available space: modifier on CapsLock, Backspace on backslash and backslash anywhere else (e.g., closer on a layer).

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
HHKB backspace all the way. It is much more practical and a lot comfier to use. Not as straining to  reach and even on larger layouts I would much prefer it. I have been coding on this layout for quite sometime at this point and if I was to stop now there would be utter chaos in my typing patterns.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline FoxWolf1

2U backspace, big enter, and \ moved to a more sensible place. For instance, next to /, just like < is next to >, and [ is next to ], and ( is next to ).
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Niomosy

ANSI backspace for me, mostly due to layout.  I used the UNIX style backspace that the HHKB uses for years in the 90s and was never a huge fan of it.  I could use it but I'd rather the \| be more accessible to me than the backspace.  As a UNIX admin, I use the \| key rather heavily for a living.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
ANSI backspace for me, mostly due to layout.  I used the UNIX style backspace that the HHKB uses for years in the 90s and was never a huge fan of it.  I could use it but I'd rather the \| be more accessible to me than the backspace.  As a UNIX admin, I use the \| key rather heavily for a living.

It is very interesting to learn that even after years of use you prefer the ANSI to the UNIX back space, I can use both and I have one keyboard with each one, but gravitate mostly to the first one. Even when it is a bit farther from the home row, its size and the placement at the corner makes it easier to type on, also, along with a fat enter you can enjoy the pleasure of a secure, strong and firm hit on both of them.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
1.5u row 2  HHKB style for me.  Once I switched I never wanted to go back. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
If you use contoured key caps, like Cherry profile, first row two units back space, the ANSI one, and one and a half second row back space, UNIX style, differ not only in size and position, also in shape, the first one is taller and takes your hits easily. I use both; again, I tend to prefer the taller and larger one.

Offline E3E

I like both the standard Row 1 2u backspace and the HHKB-style Row 2 1.5u backspace. 

However, I was also fine with Row 1 1u backspaces from some vintage Alps boards. I'm not very picky layout-wise. ANSI, ISO, JIS. Whatever. I'm fine with it.

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
1.5u Row 2 Backspace. It's easier for my pinky to hit BS although there was a bit of a learning curve. Often, I would hit Enter rather than BS which caused some errors.

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
HHKB style here :)
Still waiting on my JTK Soph set to throw on to show the proper backspace legend
149778-0
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Oh yeah, HHKB backspace is great too :)

I've stopped doing \\\\\\ when I switch back to a TKL layout, but I think I still prefer the TKL backspace as I've been using it for far longer than my HHKB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
HHKB style here :)
Still waiting on my JTK Soph set to throw on to show the proper backspace legend
(Attachment Link)

Here you have an image to keep you motivated:

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy

I've stopped doing \\\\\\ when I switch back to a TKL layout, but I think I still prefer the TKL backspace as I've been using it for far longer than my HHKB.

I do split backspace even on TKL now. I'm so weird. My RS96 which I'm using right now is also split backspace :))
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

I do split backspace even on TKL now. I'm so weird. My RS96 which I'm using right now is also split backspace :))

Do you mean a small arrow in the top right of your alpha area?

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy

No, HHKB style.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

No, HHKB style.

Ah! Of course.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy

No, HHKB style.

Ah! Of course.

1u Row 1 Backspace is just weird :p

Offline Niomosy

It is very interesting to learn that even after years of use you prefer the ANSI to the UNIX back space, I can use both and I have one keyboard with each one, but gravitate mostly to the first one. Even when it is a bit farther from the home row, its size and the placement at the corner makes it easier to type on, also, along with a fat enter you can enjoy the pleasure of a secure, strong and firm hit on both of them.

Honestly, on the command-line, I'm more in need of the | symbol than I am of the backspace.  I have Ctrl-B for backspace if under the typical settings under Bash (though my team seem to prefer set -o vi... so I always have to set -o emacs again).  That or if I've really botched a line, Ctrl-U will clear the line completely regardless of shell - also works at the login prompt for mis-typed passwords. 

Like I said, I've used the layout since 1994 when I was first dealing with Sun systems and still have a Sun 5 keyboard with the layout in the closet for the old Ultra 60 that never gets fired up any longer.  I'd use it if I had to for whatever reason but even Sun ended up switching out for ANSI later on.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Honestly, on the command-line, I'm more in need of the | symbol than I am of the backspace.  I have Ctrl-B for backspace if under the typical settings under Bash (though my team seem to prefer set -o vi... so I always have to set -o emacs again).  That or if I've really botched a line, Ctrl-U will clear the line completely regardless of shell - also works at the login prompt for mis-typed passwords. 

Like I said, I've used the layout since 1994 when I was first dealing with Sun systems and still have a Sun 5 keyboard with the layout in the closet for the old Ultra 60 that never gets fired up any longer.  I'd use it if I had to for whatever reason but even Sun ended up switching out for ANSI later on.

The pipe deserves its own key; however, it should be a one unit key, I do not see why it should be any larger.

Offline Niomosy

The pipe deserves its own key; however, it should be a one unit key, I do not see why it should be any larger.

I would be fine with the pipe as a one-unit key.  It's a 1.5u key more due to the ANSI layout than anything.  US ISO would certainly be interesting.  It's possible but with me being in the US, ANSI is readily available and easier on the wallet for keycap sets.

Offline Laurel

Remap pipe to backspace.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

I would be fine with the pipe as a one-unit key.  It's a 1.5u key more due to the ANSI layout than anything.  US ISO would certainly be interesting.  It's possible but with me being in the US, ANSI is readily available and easier on the wallet for keycap sets.

Offline Niomosy

That wouldn't be a bad layout in all honesty.  I would imagine it would take some slight adjustments going from a bit more stretch to stacking the pinky/ring fingers on the right hand. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
That wouldn't be a bad layout in all honesty.  I would imagine it would take some slight adjustments going from a bit more stretch to stacking the pinky/ring fingers on the right hand.

The ample area to type on the Enter key makes adjusting to it a breeze. I like the 1.5 Unix style backspace; but, this is pretty intuitive.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Show Image

*shudder*

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Show Image

*shudder*

:)) :)) 8)

Offline Niomosy

The ample area to type on the Enter key makes adjusting to it a breeze. I like the 1.5 Unix style backspace; but, this is pretty intuitive.

Enter key surface area hasn't ever really been a problem for me.  The backspace size isn't a huge problem either, honestly.  I've used the bigass enter key keyboards in the past that had 1u backspaces.  Not that I'd want to go back to one of those, though.

Offline Phenix

Is there any pcb for an good split spacebar board?
(beside clueboard / Phantom)
Winter is coming.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Is there any pcb for an good split spacebar board?
(beside clueboard / Phantom)

There is a new PCB in its interest-check phase, you may want to check it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2016, 07:41:05 by ideus »

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
Huge backspace, huge enter. I HATE  :mad: the pan-nordic layout with that tiny backspace key- [img][/http://i.imgur.com/sgfuu.jpg]
hi.

Offline RyanArr

Re: On backspace keys: Which one do you prefer and why: 1u / 2u row 1, 1.5 row 2.
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 10:31:48 »
Left half of the spacebar. Why would it be way up in the corner? Can't go where capslock is, that's where Control goes.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
Re: On backspace keys: Which one do you prefer and why: 1u / 2u row 1, 1.5 row 2.
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 17:21:46 »
I prefer a UK style layout with a big tall skinny enter and a normal bs.
hi.