Author Topic: What did you get in the mail today?  (Read 20211777 times)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: What did you get in the mail today?
« Reply #27850 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:08:42 »
You will be able to tell the difference. 'Vintage' is not a very descriptive term. I have 'vintage' blacks from around 1995 that aren't particularly smooth. You might have a hard time telling between those and modern ones. However, I also have a NIB board from 1990 with blacks, and that is very smooth, almost perfect. And then I have Nixdorf switches from 1988, which are perfect. Basically, the older the better. 1990 and older is the gold area.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #27851 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:53:47 »
What switches are these? Vintage black?
Yes, they are vintage blacks. They're a rare version with transparent top pieces that are only found on this type of board - Nixdorf Softkeys.

My opinion is that they're the perfect linear switch. They're so smooth that lubing them makes them feel worse. Really, I'm not kidding..

I want to try them now! But I'm wondering if I would be able to feel the difference. I'm typing this on a Poker II w/ Black atm and I also have a single vintage black (that Azhdar gave me because he broke one of the pin). I know that it is different that using some on a board but I have trouble feeling the difference between them tbh. I wonder if it is like wine by that I mean that you need to get used to it if you want to feel the difference between them. Or maybe it is just a little difference barely noticeable that some keyboard enthusiasts like to point out.
The one I gave you is from one of this keyboard : http://deskthority.net/wiki/Wyse_PCE
No idea about the date of it , I thrown the case . But I agree not much different thna regular black.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #27852 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:59:04 »
I got my kishsaver back in the mail, I had thechemist solder the xwhatsit controller for me. I guess I didn't have any micro usb cables around so just waiting on that to use it.  ^-^

It's been a long restoration process...

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #27853 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:03:23 »
I got my kishsaver back in the mail, I had thechemist solder the xwhatsit controller for me. I guess I didn't have any micro usb cables around so just waiting on that to use it.  ^-^

It's been a long restoration process...

Show Image

That is awesome and the brushed case is beautiful!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #27854 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:06:21 »
I got my foam for my XT.

Also, I got a counter sink bit for doing my JD40 with black oxide 18-8 stainless socket head cap screws.  If anyone wants theirs done I will have a few extras.  First I just need to make a jig for holding the plate.  The bit should be able to do Ti, for those of you in Mkawas GB.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #27855 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:19:33 »
I got my foam for my XT.

Also, I got a counter sink bit for doing my JD40 with black oxide 18-8 stainless socket head cap screws.  If anyone wants theirs done I will have a few extras.  First I just need to make a jig for holding the plate.  The bit should be able to do Ti, for those of you in Mkawas GB.

Would be interested if you manage to countersink Titanium :D
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #27856 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:23:37 »
I got my foam for my XT.

Wait, what? How will you countersink a socket head cap screw into a 0.060" thick plate? Even the low profile ones have a head thickness of 0.059" right?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #27857 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:27:25 »
I got my foam for my XT.

Wait, what? How will you countersink a socket head cap screw into a 0.060" thick plate? Even the low profile ones have a head thickness of 0.059" right?

It may not be "proper" counter-sinking protocol, but why can't you just sink it fully through?  Who cares if the very bottom of the head is coming through, it'll still hold the plate, right?  Just a smaller margin for error I would think.  But maybe I'm missing something.  ;)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #27858 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:31:57 »
Nixie.
Bingo! I'll put up a full album soon. I'm quite pleased with this one to say the least..

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #27859 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:34:38 »
I got my foam for my XT.

It may not be "proper" counter-sinking protocol, but why can't you just sink it fully through?  Who cares if the very bottom of the head is coming through, it'll still hold the plate, right?  Just a smaller margin for error I would think.  But maybe I'm missing something.  ;)

You would take the countersink bit deep enough for the head to be flush or slightly below the top surface of the plate.  If the head of the screw bottoms out on the standoff, then you just countersink the spacer a touch.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #27860 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:46:36 »
I got my foam for my XT.

You would take the countersink bit deep enough for the head to be flush or slightly below the top surface of the plate.  If the head of the screw bottoms out on the standoff, then you just countersink the spacer a touch.

I guess I just don't understand countersinking much. If you countersink all the way through the plate, won't you have a screw hole the same diameter as the screw head? If so, what is attaching the plate to the standoff?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #27861 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:49:42 »
I got my foam for my XT.

I guess I just don't understand countersinking much. If you countersink all the way through the plate, won't you have a screw hole the same diameter as the screw head? If so, what is attaching the plate to the standoff?

Counter sinking essentially just changes the shape of the hole.  Think of a standard drilled hole as a cylinder.  A counter sunk hole would just be a cone.  If you are countersinking a deep hole where the head is much thinner than the material, you just have a cone a the top of the cylinder.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #27862 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:54:22 »
I got my foam for my XT.

Counter sinking essentially just changes the shape of the hole.  Think of a standard drilled hole as a cylinder.  A counter sunk hole would just be a cone.  If you are countersinking a deep hole where the head is much thinner than the material, you just have a cone a the top of the cylinder.

You countersink for flat head screws which have a conically shaped head.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Sissy

« Reply #27863 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 18:37:34 »

I've been loving this book so far and kept putting off buying the first Trade, the second trade came out last week so I ordered both

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #27864 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 18:55:39 »
GOOOOLD!

And this PCB/Plate that will be going into a Lastpilot inspired build that I'm waiting on some parts for. Also a RGB LED that zeal included because he's a boss along with my Green Tea and Strawberry Kit Kats!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #27865 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 19:08:02 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

And this PCB/Plate that will be going into a Lastpilot inspired build that I'm waiting on some parts for. Also a RGB LED that zeal included because he's a boss along with my Green Tea and Strawberry Kit Kats!
Show Image

Wow, you got it already! That was quick

in memoriam

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #27866 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 19:13:48 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

DHL doesn't mess around.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #27867 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 19:17:44 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

DHL doesn't mess around.

Yeah. Would've gotten it Friday if I had ordered a little sooner.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #27868 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 19:45:00 »
Damn those gold stabs  :eek:

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #27869 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 20:30:50 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

DHL doesn't mess around.
^^^

They don't **** around when it comes to customs clearance. :))
----

So, Green tea or Strawberry Kit Kat?

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #27870 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 22:06:28 »
Show Image

What could this be? :eek:

nice found. looks good

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline bianco

« Reply #27871 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 23:14:48 »
finally got something to contribute.
first keycaps/sets for the year

gmk dolch from Ivan's gb

sp skull squadron (matt3o's design) via massdrop

Offline intelli78

« Reply #27872 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 23:48:51 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #27873 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 23:48:57 »

gmk dolch from Ivan's gb
Show Image

Show Image

bianco, my man, you never disappoint me~ You always have such beautiful themes going down.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.

Beautiful stuff, dood.

Offline bianco

« Reply #27874 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 00:09:48 »

gmk dolch from Ivan's gb
Show Image

Show Image

bianco, my man, you never disappoint me~ You always have such beautiful themes going down.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.

Beautiful stuff, dood.

Show Image

oh how i missed this... :D
you've made my day bro! thank you

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #27875 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 00:15:18 »
oh how i missed this... :D
you've made my day bro! thank you

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27876 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 01:25:48 »

gmk dolch from Ivan's gb
Show Image

Damn, that's the first time in a long time that I liked a Dolch board! Love that setup

Offline magically

« Reply #27877 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 02:43:17 »

SHAPEWAYS!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27878 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 05:23:41 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

What are the advantages of using gold stabs instead of the normal one except that they are swaggy?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #27879 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 05:27:59 »

thanks again bueller for the help with proxying :)

still waiting on a6k, 35mm prime, flash, etc, etc. should be here soon™
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #27880 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 06:44:35 »
Show Image

still waiting on a6k, 35mm prime, flash, etc, etc. should be here soon™

nice one man, good to see you posting :thumb:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27881 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 06:55:14 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

What are the advantages of using gold stabs instead of the normal one except that they are swaggy?

I guess they won't be prone to rusting or any chemical reactions as easily?
I mean... there really is no advantage at all.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27882 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 06:56:24 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

pure swag

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27883 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 07:50:47 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure. Are they expensive?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27884 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 08:06:57 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

So far they haven't been available outside of buying an entire keyboard kit that included them.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27885 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 08:40:07 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

SHAPEWAYS!

Were you the one who was looking for a Clockwerk cap a while back?
Awesome that you found one!
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline wupi

« Reply #27886 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 11:14:48 »
My new board.  :D

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27887 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:33:13 »
Show Image

how much did it cost you to get it to Germany?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #27888 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:34:56 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

DHL doesn't mess around.
^^^

----

Green tea was good. A little creamier than I was expecting. But strawberry wins by a mile for me. That was absolutely delicious.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #27889 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:37:33 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

So far they haven't been available outside of buying an entire keyboard kit that included them.

I honestly already planned on a project for the included board, so that's why I got the kit. I like the stabs, but at this point, they were just a bonus to a pre-planned project.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #27890 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:53:15 »
GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

1)Swag.
2)Will help prevent this from happening: http://i.imgur.com/GByvsqG.jpg
3)Slightly smoother. Stock Cherry stab wires use some kind of zinc plating.
4)Looks pretty. Who doesn't love gold?
5)You get to see your exposed gold stabs every time you swap keycaps (for acrylic plates)

GOOOOLD!
Show Image

Show Image

DHL doesn't mess around.
^^^

----

Green tea was good. A little creamier than I was expecting. But strawberry wins by a mile for me. That was absolutely delicious.
Agreed. The slight sourness really helps amplify the strawberry flavour. :) It also completely overwhelms green tea if you eat a strawberry green tea kit kat first.

Offline dimmu

« Reply #27891 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 13:33:19 »
inspired by the recent GH thread.

Offline wupi

« Reply #27892 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 13:38:21 »
Show Image

how much did it cost you to get it to Germany?

I used tenso.com ;)

International shipping fee : 3250 yen
Handling fee : 780 yen
Insurance fee: 50 yen (insured)

Total amount : 4080 yen

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #27893 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 13:53:26 »

gmk dolch from Ivan's gb
Show Image

Show Image

Wow Bianco.. awesome.. I can't wait for the next Lightsaver GB..

Offline dimmu

« Reply #27894 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:04:45 »

gmk dolch from Ivan's gb
Show Image

Show Image

that lightsaver is probably the best looking board i've seen. i just love how the brobots complete the set.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #27895 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:48:45 »
Show Image

still waiting on a6k, 35mm prime, flash, etc, etc. should be here soon�

always knew you liked them long and black
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #27896 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:56:04 »
^ thatsapenis.jpg

in memoriam

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #27897 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:59:17 »
Show Image

if thats your definition of "long" you havent seen shyyt, ya bish
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #27898 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:01:39 »
Show Image

if thats your definition of "long" you havent seen shyyt, ya bish

you ARE the expert. so ill take your word
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ficklampa

• My photography portfolio
« Reply #27899 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:02:10 »
Winter edition HKP caps! :D

Also recieved some parts for my office ricer! Some underglow kit, light kit, huge wing (it's for 1:10th scale and the car is 1:18th scale so I'll probably mod it a bit or so... if I ever use it on that car), intercooler (again for 1:10th scale) and exhaust pipes (1:10th....).

And some blingy rimZ, yo!
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:06:10 by ficklampa »
Filco TKL (mx browns) + Ducky PBT caps
Poker II (mx blues)
Keycool 22 key numpad (blue Kailh)