Author Topic: Trackball to use with Mitosis  (Read 7785 times)

Offline skygazer

Trackball to use with Mitosis
« on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 00:44:02 »
I've become addicted to minimalist ortholinear keyboards.  After using my Atreus (programmed in Dvorak) for several years, I assembled a Planck and programmed a similar layout.  The Planck is just slightly smaller, yet adequate for travel.  Since I'm used to the Atreus, I didn't program the center 6 keys on the Planck ... and I don't miss them!

When I heard about the Mitosis keyboard, I was intrigued!  A 40% split keyboard with decent key switches (Kailh Box White) seemed like a great idea for my desktop!  I purchased one and programmed it with a pattern very similar to the Atreus.  The thumb key layout has taken some getting used to, but the comfort of a tented split keyboard is wonderful!

My first attempt was to use the Kensington wireless trackball that I usually travel with.  While this is a very good trackball, I had to physically lift my right hand off the keyboard to reach it.  The buttons are on the sides, which works great when I'm traveling... but they get a little cramped when it's between the halves of the mitosis. 

I quickly found myself longing for a trackball that I could place close to my right hand... really close!  The Aerope Trackman Solution  for the Atreus has spoiled me... I now get impatient having to move my right wrist in order to reach a pointing device!  My desktop solution (as opposed to my travel keyboard) should really be more convenient. 

I purchased a wired Elecom Deft trackball for use with a client-supplied laptop that can't use wireless devices, with the intent to use it with my Planck while on travel.  I like the trackball a lot... overall the controls are well placed and it is a good size for my hands.  The wired version is inexpensive enough that I decided to experiment... perhaps I can modify a Deft trackball to marry up tightly to the right hand Mitosis keyboard, and start to experience some of the convenience of the Aerope/Atreus with the comfort of a split Mitosis keyboard? 

The interior arrangement of the Deft seemed to allow for nesting close to the Mitosis

Encouraged by this, I started hacking at the shell and got a reasonable fit

This worked, but I wanted to move the ball to make it easier to reach, and also add a keyswitch to avoid having to reach over the mouse for the left click button.  The piece of wood fills the hole left from moving the mouse further south.

After using this arrangement for a few days, I frequently found myself reaching for the scroll wheel.  Why not put the entire original thumb switch assembly on top of the case, instead of one keyswitch?

This seems to work very well.  The tilt/press scroll wheel is actually very good, and the left click/auxillary buttons are a little better than OK.  The function buttons on the top of the case to the left of the ball only work with the Elecom driver, which hasn't been updated for Mac High Sierra.  Pretty worthless... i didn't mind removing them.

I did a little clean up of the case and finished the assembly with a piece of scrap hardwood.  Total investment about $40.

Here's a shot of the hand movement from keyboard to trackball... it requires a slight rotation of the wrist, but no translation.  This is not quite as convenient as the Aerope, but still pretty convenient.

Offline JianYang

Re: Trackball to use with Mitosis
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 02:02:12 »
Excellent work! I thought about something like this, but in the end I just added a trackpoint so that I can move even less, but the trackball does have some advantages.