Author Topic: [IC] GMK WS1 Ergo & Ortho Blanks - Seeking new GB Runner  (Read 12749 times)

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
[IC] GMK WS1 Ergo & Ortho Blanks - Seeking new GB Runner
« on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 14:49:32 »

GMK WS1 Ergo & Ortho Blanks

Home Page: https://nopunin10did.com/gmk-ws1-blanks/

Survey: https://forms.gle/aRnPsjbLrr7pwJMy5

Discord: NoPunIn10Key

GMK WS1 Ergo & Ortho Blanks is a custom keyset in the Cherry profile manufactured in high-quality ABS plastic by GMK electronic design GmbH. It consists of a single kit containing blank keycaps in one of the most commonly used GMK stock colors: WS1 white. These keys are compatible with a wide range of Ergodoxian & Ortholinear boards, many of which can be seen in the list below. They can either be used on their own (for a fully blank layout) or as an addon, making it easy to adapt a separate set of Cherry profile keycaps (not included) to an Ergo or Ortho layout.

This keyset will be my third custom keyset Group Buy (GB) and my first GMK GB. PWade3 performed all renders for this set.

Example Boards Supported
  • Ergodox EZ & Moonlander by ZSA
  • Boardwalk & Boardrun Classic by Shensmobile & MKUltra
  • Sol & Mün by RGBKB
  • Planck & Preonic by OLKB
  • Iris & Levinson by Keeb.io
  • Ergodox, Ergodash & Atreus62_FT by Falba.Tech
  • Gergo by g Heavy Industries
  • and many more!

Vendors

The dates for the Group Buy (GB) have not yet been set. During the GB period, the following vendors will host preorders of GMK WS1 Blanks.

MOQ, Pricing, & Bulk Discounts

Customer pricing is not yet finalized, but based on the quotes I would estimate that the US pricing will be around 60.00-70.00 USD, possibly much less. Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) is currently slated to be 250 units, though that may change.

Unlike a typical GB, we will be offering a bulk discount to resellers at a greatly reduced margin. After the GB completes, it is my hope that GMK WS1 Blanks will serve as an excellent in-stock item for keyset sellers worldwide. I believe it will help fill a niche for high-quality, highly-available Cherry profile Ergo keycaps (which, from personal experience, can be very difficult to procure).

Vendors interested in the bulk purchases should contact me via Discord or register your interest with the Survey. Pricing will vary by locale and quantity purchased; further discounts are possible for vendors with an established relationship with GMK.

Renders
All GMK WS1 Blanks will use GMK’s stock WS1 white plastic. Other sets and alpha colorways (not included) are approximated to the best of our abilities. Please note that some inaccuracy is always possible in rendered representations of color. Further renders can be found the official Wordpress home page.

JTK Griseann used with permission from HoodrowThrillson. Sol 3 keyboard used by permission from RGBKB (GB May 2021: https://www.rgbkb.net). Renders by PWade3. (More Sol 3 Renders)

GMK Deep Navy used with permission from *tom. Minorca keyboard by alex (panc.co). Renders by PWade3. (More Minorca Renders)

JTK Royal Alpha used with permission from HoodrowThrillson. Campine keyboard by alex (panc.co). Configured with Boardwalk PCB by Shensmobile & MKUltra. Render by PWade3. (More Campine Boardwalk Renders)

GMK Taro used with permission from PWade3. Boardrun CNC edition used by permission from Shensmobile. Render by PWade3. (More Boardrun Renders)

Home Page: https://nopunin10did.com/gmk-ws1-blanks/

Survey: https://forms.gle/aRnPsjbLrr7pwJMy5

Discord: NoPunIn10Key

See Also: DSS Late Harvest

Geekhack Banner

Add the following code to your profile signature if you want to help promote GMK WS1 Blanks!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://nopunin10did.com/gmk-ws1-blanks/][img width=360 height=120]https://diplomacyvariants.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/gmk-ws1-blanks-banner.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 February 2022, 10:54:51 by NoPunIn10Did »

Offline scoopbb

Re: [IC] GMK WS1 Ergo & Ortho Blanks
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 14:50:38 »
oh baby im in

Offline danliu

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 15:07:37 »
I gotta have this!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 15:09:12 »
Love seeing more ergo/ortho sets run. Thanks for organizing this.  :thumb:

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 15:10:18 »
awesome, nopun. your passion and insight for ortho and 40s layout is contagious! also pwade renders are lookin good!

Offline Rossman360

• Montsinger
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 15:13:56 »
mighty fine lookin' indeed

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 19:23:03 »
Amazing kit! If only more sets support ergo

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 21:41:41 »
Super nice.
GLWIC & GLWGB, NoPun!

Offline kim-kim

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 21:57:27 »
Long time no see ergo IC, so nice :thumb:

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 22:17:28 »
Thanks everyone!

And since I’ve gotten some questions about it: no, I’m not running a second CR black kit this time. Just WS1. If this does well, I will revisit the concept for other stock colors.

Offline InvXXVII

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 22:33:34 »
Ortholinear/ergo keycaps can be used on normal keyboards right? I commonly see keycaps being classified as "ortho" and was wondering if they were compatible.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 22:38:35 »
Ortholinear/ergo keycaps can be used on normal keyboards right? I commonly see keycaps being classified as "ortho" and was wondering if they were compatible.

The individual caps will work in some contexts and not others. It comes down to the board’s form factor. An individual 1u is no different structurally whether it comes from a typical set or an “Ortho” set like this. But the sizes and counts of keys required by standard boards do differ significantly from what is on offer here.

Offline InvXXVII

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 00:42:10 »

The individual caps will work in some contexts and not others. It comes down to the board’s form factor. An individual 1u is no different structurally whether it comes from a typical set or an “Ortho” set like this. But the sizes and counts of keys required by standard boards do differ significantly from what is on offer here.

Thanks for the info. I guess sets are marked as "ortho" because they require a different number of 1u, 2u, etc. keycaps than a normal board.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 10:42:38 »

Thanks for the info. I guess sets are marked as "ortho" because they require a different number of 1u, 2u, etc. keycaps than a normal board.

That, and the keys are arranged differently.  On standard boards, keys are row-staggered; each row of alphas and numbers has a slightly different start and end point.  The Z key is below and halfway between the A and S keys, for instance.

On an ortho board, however, most keys are in straight vertical columns and rows (i.e. an ortholinear arrangement by definition).  Good examples are the Planck and Preonic as well as the Minorca seen rendered in the initial post. Most ortho boards only require 1u keys except for some spacebars.  That means that all modifier keys (shift, backspace, enter, etc.) tend to be 1u keys.

The term "Ergo" board tends to refer to boards that use keycaps that match closely with those required for an Ergodox keyboard.  The actual arrangement of these keys can likewise be ortholinear, but the key size requirements differ from "ortho" boards.  Ergodoxian boards use 1.5u modifiers instead of 1u modifiers.

If you want to get really technical, Ergodox and several "ortho" boards are actually what's called "columnar stagger". They are not strictly ortholinear but tend to have the same keycap requirements as Ortho boards.

Offline Grindbox

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 12:07:33 »
Thank you for this!!!
I'm definitely in.

Offline TK0

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 19:25:58 »
I'm seriously considering an ergodox. I'm in!

Offline msting

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 20:15:57 »
Yep, its come to this. BiiP and others used to do some Ergo kits with GMK sets (Dots, Oblivion 2, ...) but since KAT came out that has stopped. I'm just really down on KAT at this point cause Keyreative just won't friggin' deliver.
I'm in all the way on this and if more colors are added, gettin' 'em all.
Now if GMK would produce a KAT profile line..., oh my!
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 April 2021, 12:00:43 by msting »

Offline TK0

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 08:07:12 »

Yep. GMK CR would also be great, if possible. Would get both.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 09:48:09 »

My goal is to stick with just the one color for this round and then expand to some others next time.

Offline JKKEEBS

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 14:36:10 »
Wasn't this done before lol

Offline TK0

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 18:49:08 »

My goal is to stick with just the one color for this round and then expand to some others next time.

Understandable, specially considering moq. But, what if we have multiple kits (one for each color) and run the IC for each kit/color? Considering they are GMK standard colors, moq should be lower, iirc.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 20:35:41 »

Understandable, specially considering moq. But, what if we have multiple kits (one for each color) and run the IC for each kit/color? Considering they are GMK standard colors, moq should be lower, iirc.

The way to keep them most affordable is to price according to higher MOQs than what they can hypothetically run with and not split the market.

Offline Nuap

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 23:40:45 »
Please consider DailyClack for Oceania vendor:
https://dailyclack.com/pages/about

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 23:41:02 »
Any chance of DC as Australian vendor?  ;D

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 00:15:07 »
I am actually quite excited for this YES!

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 00:20:25 »
I do have a question: Is the thickness and weight of a GMK double shot keycap (with legend, novelties, etc) the same as GMK blank keycap?

The reason I ask is that my GMK Blanks CR (Row 1) has a different sound signature than my GMK WoB (Row 1) - or all my other GMK sets for that matter. Tested on the ESC key of a keyboard.

Offline TK0

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 07:53:46 »

The way to keep them most affordable is to price according to higher MOQs than what they can hypothetically run with and not split the market.

Thanks a lot for the answer. I'm quite new to the hobby, so I don't exactly know most details. I will get the WS1 for sure and look forward to other colors, here and on discord.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 08:24:52 »
Any chance of DC as Australian vendor?  ;D

Please consider DailyClack for Oceania vendor:
https://dailyclack.com/pages/about

I am reaching out to an Australian vendor and will update this post if anything develops from that.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 11:22:21 »
Now that the Late Harvest GB is over, I’m going to give some more attention to this. I’m reaching out to vendors to see what they would like in terms of GB dates.

Offline saam

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 11:25:00 »
It looks great, but I would love to see some other kitting for other boards as well. Good luck!

Sam E

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 14:02:02 »
It looks great, but I would love to see some other kitting for other boards as well. Good luck!

This is intended as a narrow-focused GB with a singular purpose.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 14:14:17 »
Would like to have black, all also what would the MOQ be for this?

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 15:43:19 »
Would like to have black, all also what would the MOQ be for this?

Still working on the bulk order size. Black is something I’m considering for a future run, but I don’t want to cannibalize sales between the two colors.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
Re: [IC] GMK WS1 Ergo & Ortho Blanks - Seeking new GB Co-Runner
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 11:01:25 »
Apologies for letting this thread go completely off the radar without updates.  This is still a project I'm interested in, but with the really long lead times on GMK (even for stock blanks), it's not as practical a project as I was initially thinking.

If there's a fellow designer (or a vendor) that wants to take the lead on this project, contact me on Discord, particularly if you have interest in expanding the GB to include a black option (something I've been repeatedly asked about).  All I ask is to get enough free keycaps to pay for the contracted renders.  ;D

Offline holewheat

Re: [IC] GMK WS1 Ergo & Ortho Blanks - Seeking new GB Runner
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 06 January 2023, 21:43:12 »
Sad to see this died :(