Author Topic: [IC]Bamboo, a 40% like no other. Aurora display, Choc switches, TEA caps, + more  (Read 6773 times)

Offline ionsnail

What is it?

Bamboo is a lowprofile 40% case that features my brand new choc keycap profile, TEA. It is a 2 part construction that has been cerakoted dark gray, and is less than 2 cm thick. Using a new technique of assembly I am calling reverse integrated mounting, the case is able to be made of 2 parts, yet have zero exposed screws. Its format is 4x13 ortho, and is split in the middle, allowing 3 customizable macro keys to be placed. Bamboo is my first keyboard to have an "Aurora Display", a row of 13 LED's that run across the top of the keyboard, and lights up the corresponding LED as you type. It is a non-invasive, more subtle LED feature that doubles as helpful reminder to what layer you are on. Speaking of layers, bamboo only needs 2, and because of the custom printed caps, needing to print out layer maps to memorize what key does what is a thing of the past. Ergonomics is extremely important to me as someone who has struggled with wrist pain from typing. This is why bamboo features a built in wrist rest, and the use of choc switches to dramatically reduce wrist buckling by lowering the wrist-to-key height. Furthermore, bamboo is the first keyboard to be laid out in such a way that perfectly places the hands symmetrically down the middle of the keyboard. By having equal distances each hand has to reach, it denies the ability to create uneven use of your hands. Bamboo has a custom injection molded rubber foot that places the keyboard at a comfortable 4°, the angle I found best when using choc caps. 1 centered USB-C port in the back.

Pricing?

Producing bamboo will be difficult due to the complexity of parts, and multiple injection molded pieces. That said, I am fighting hard to deliver it at an affordable and fair price. I have settled on 380$ for a complete keyboard. I will offer pre-assembled versions as well for a bit more. MOQ will be 50, and based on watching other 40% keyboard groupbuys, I imagine this will be a difficult number to hit, but I am excited and hopeful :)

Customization?

As choc switches are so new, keycap options are limited. I was frustrated by this, so I created the TEA profile. Until more keycap sets are released for choc, I wanted another way to customize your bamboo, so I designed the Aurora Display's resin bar to be easily removed and easily made. It can be made in a 1 part mold and I will have full documentation available to anyone who wants to make their own artisan bar, as well as extra bars for mold making. I also am 100% cool if any artist wants to sell custom bars.

Where to stay updated?

Thanks so much, if you have any questions just let me know, I'd love to answer them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 October 2019, 12:03:28 by ionsnail »

Offline ionsnail

idk how to do hyperlinks can someone help me

Offline Myoth

Code: [Select]
[url]your.url/goes/here[/url]

Offline ionsnail

I tried that and it looks like this: https://imgur.com/lgwGLQu
:(

Offline Myoth

oh you meant it like that, okay, so it's like this :
[url=https://imgur.com/lgwGLQu]test[/url]
test

Offline nathanchere

Way out of my price range for an ortholinear board but love the design overall. If this is successful I hope you consider running a more standard layout in the future.

Offline ionsnail

oh you meant it like that, okay, so it's like this :
[url=https://imgur.com/lgwGLQu]test[/url]
test

Thank you so much.

Offline ionsnail

Way out of my price range for an ortholinear board but love the design overall. If this is successful I hope you consider running a more standard layout in the future.

Thank you :) I will consider it, although the layout is a key part of this design.

Offline equalunique

I am for sure interested, but def need time to save up $380. Pls wait til 2020!

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline ionsnail

I am for sure interested, but def need time to save up $380. Pls wait til 2020!

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Looking at about January 2020 for the GB, thanks!

Offline Rayndalf

A bit expensive (but a set of good ortho caps can cost a lot on there own), but with curves like that I understand. Very cute!

Sorry if this was answered above, but how are the keycaps going to be printed?

Offline ionsnail

A bit expensive (but a set of good ortho caps can cost a lot on there own), but with curves like that I understand. Very cute!

Sorry if this was answered above, but how are the keycaps going to be printed?

Thank you!

I am not entirely sure yet, most likely pad printed.

Dysub is very hard to do on curvy caps, and much more expensive then pad printing.

Offline KingOfMemes

will you consider including coleverak homing keys, or fj keys that are non homing for users of superior layouts?

Offline ionsnail

will you consider including coleverak homing keys, or fj keys that are non homing for users of superior layouts?

I think I will have the option of non sublegended versions for people who use different layouts.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Does anyone know if this keyboard is QMK-based? His website mentions using QMK for another project, but there's no such information for this board.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Does anyone know if this keyboard is QMK-based? His website mentions using QMK for another project, but there's no such information for this board.

According to his Discord channel in the 40's server, it is, but that wasn't direct from OP himself. If I hear differently, I'll update you.