Author Topic: Soldering Iron Recommendations  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Ripudio

Soldering Iron Recommendations
« on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 16:03:33 »
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but it seemed appropriate at the time. I'm about to get started but I thought I'd ask the experts: Do you have any recommendations on good (sub $100 is a must, ~$50 would be awesome) soldering irons for electronics work?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 16:18:29 »
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-7945

Tenma soldering station.  You can sometimes find them for less than this.  Only get a more pricey setup if you know you want to start doing this stuff all the time.

They don't really ever get that much better... the nicer ones are just more sturdy and less prone to failure after lots and lots of use.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:13:42 »
Im sure theres plenty of better ones out there but I've been using a Weller WES50 for years and its never let me down in any way. Theres a newer digital version, the WES51, but my old analog temp control has always worked fine for me.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:22:51 »
For a little more, I can say that I enjoy my hakko FX-888D. But I am no expert and it's the only one I ever tried.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 01:58:24 »
Im sure theres plenty of better ones out there but I've been using a Weller WES50 for years and its never let me down in any way. Theres a newer digital version, the WES51, but my old analog temp control has always worked fine for me.

The digital one you're thinking of is the WESD51, the WES51 is the analog replacement for the WES50.  I've got two WES51's, the one I've had since 2005 has an intermittent poor cable connection, but it's had a life of being packed in a travel kit so I forgive it.  The temp knob got knocked off in my tool bag a couple years after I bought it, and Weller sent a free replacement knob.  They've been great workhorses.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc