Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3504441 times)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1800 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 00:19:36 »
Guys, I searched and lurked for a while now and cannot find the thread with realforce 87U pictures that someone mentioned was available but gave no link in another thread... It's supposed to be in-person pictures so that you can see differences between the white and black model. I tried searching to no avail. Thanks.

Are the pictures on elitekeyboards not nice enough to compare?

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #1801 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 00:37:47 »
2.  I am coming from mx blues, and both of the boards I am looking at are mx reds.  I do bottom the crap out of these, and really like the clickyness of the keys.  Is it going to be a dramatic difference going to the reds?

Yes! Really dramatic difference. Springs aside, those two switches are objectively the most unalike pair (linear vs clicky). The most unalike pair is MX Red and MX Green (linear vs clicky; light vs very stiff).

Made this little graph for fun :D

Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1802 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 00:43:02 »
2.  I am coming from mx blues, and both of the boards I am looking at are mx reds.  I do bottom the crap out of these, and really like the clickyness of the keys.  Is it going to be a dramatic difference going to the reds?

Yes! Really dramatic difference. Springs aside, those two switches are objectively the most unalike pair (linear vs clicky). The most unalike pair is MX Red and MX Green (linear vs clicky; light vs very stiff).

Show Image

dude that is a sweet pic!!

on topic any recommend the best way to go about carving up a case to turn a tkl case into a tk compatible one? is there a mod around here?

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #1803 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:15:14 »
Thanks! Glad you liked :)

Last holiday (workers day) I took some pictures of switches (yeah, had nothing better to do). Here's one more (please excuse the off topic):

Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #1804 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:21:53 »
Guys, I searched and lurked for a while now and cannot find the thread with realforce 87U pictures that someone mentioned was available but gave no link in another thread... It's supposed to be in-person pictures so that you can see differences between the white and black model. I tried searching to no avail. Thanks.

Are the pictures on elitekeyboards not nice enough to compare?

I heard they are a bit washed out on EK and seeing a picture of them in an actual user's room would give a good idea of how it looks in person.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1805 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:29:07 »
Well I have been playing around in the first link of the 2 KB layout generators.  And this is what I have come up with.  Any comments or suggestions?

Top Layer

Function Layer
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1806 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:40:00 »
2 quick questions:

1.  I am currently looking at downsizing to a smaller board from a full size and am looking at the KBT race.  It has a 2nd layer function for F-row keys.  Are these accessible during boot to get into bios or select a boot drive?

1) I'm not sure if they are accessible during boot but I can try this on my Pure later if you like. I would recommend not getting a Race if you're looking to swap the stock caps for something else.

2) Reds and Blues feel very different to me. Reds are super light and linear. I always bottom out on them. There is zero click. Blues are heavier with a lot of noise and a medium-level click (Compared to Buckling Springs which I would say have a heavy click and MX White which have a light, muffled click).

on topic any recommend the best way to go about carving up a case to turn a tkl case into a tk compatible one? is there a mod around here?

I have never seen a TKL to full-size mod. I know the GHPad is going to have the ability to be attached to a GH60. You could try looking at that. But why not just get a full board or just buy a separate number pad?

I found a lot of user shots when I Googled "Realforce 87U" pictures as well as EK having some nice pictures. The Google pictures aren't good enough? You can also try looking in the "Post your Realforce/Topre keyboards" thread. I think it's in the Media sub-forum.

Show Image

This picture is awesome. Thanks for making it ^__^
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:48:55 by CPTBadAss »

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1807 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:41:54 »
Would this keycap puller work fine for both MX / Topre?  The latter especially, without damaging anything.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1808 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:48:17 »
Would this keycap puller work fine for both MX / Topre?  The latter especially, without damaging anything.

Yes it will work fine.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1809 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:49:35 »

Yes it will work fine.

This^ and get it from Amazon if you have Prime - http://www.amazon.com/WASD-Keyboards-Wire-Keycap-Puller/dp/B00AZCGF7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369162150&sr=8-1&keywords=wasd+puller

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1810 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:49:53 »
Indeed it will work well. :D CPTBadAss only tells little lies when he says that the WASD one is better than the Techkeys one. :P

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1811 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:52:11 »
2 quick questions:

1.  I am currently looking at downsizing to a smaller board from a full size and am looking at the KBT race.  It has a 2nd layer function for F-row keys.  Are these accessible during boot to get into bios or select a boot drive?

1) I'm not sure if they are accessible during boot but I can try this on my Pure later if you like. I would recommend not getting a Race if you're looking to swap the stock caps for something else.

2) Reds and Blues feel very different to me. Reds are super light and linear. I always bottom out on them. There is zero click. Blues are heavier with a lot of noise and a medium-level click (Compared to Buckling Springs which I would say have a heavy click and MX White which have a light, muffled click).

Yeah, I know that the race makes it very difficult to do any cap swapping (without leaving a few stockers).   Maybe a Choc Mini would be a better way to go to get into a SFF board, or should I just get a TKL?
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1812 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:57:24 »
Yeah, I know that the race makes it very difficult to do any cap swapping (without leaving a few stockers).   Maybe a Choc Mini would be a better way to go to get into a SFF board, or should I just get a TKL?

Choc Mini has an odd size spacebar. I don't know what you mean by a SFF board. Is it "smaller form factor"? If you're looking to get a 65%/75% board, you could try waiting for the GH75. If you want a 60% board, why not get a Pure, Poker, or GH60?

Indeed it will work well. :D CPTBadAss only tells little lies when he says that the WASD one is better than the Techkeys one. :P

I like the TechKeys one better and the WASD is my second favorite. ^__^

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1813 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:00:04 »

Choc Mini has an odd size spacebar. I don't know what you mean by a SFF board. Is it "smaller form factor"? If you're looking to get a 65%/75% board, you could try waiting for the GH75. If you want a 60% board, why not get a Pure, Poker, or GH60?

Yeah, small form factor.  I was looking at those, but am on a serious budget right now with baby coming in the next couple weeks.  I just sold my Ducky 1008C, and only have about $100 to spend including shipping. 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1814 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:00:27 »
Indeed it will work well. :D CPTBadAss only tells little lies when he says that the WASD one is better than the Techkeys one. :p

The techkeys is worlds better than the WADS, true story. And the cherry keychain pullers are good and the mkc is very sweet, I like it the best.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1815 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:03:33 »
Yes it will work fine.

How about the one EK sells? The wire looks thinner, like it could get into places easy. Maybe the handle is just bigger.  :-[

@Jocelyn: Yes I'm buying stuff there, and getting free shipping. So I was looking at the WASD.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1816 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:06:50 »
Yes it will work fine.

How about the one EK sells? The wire looks thinner, like it could get into places easy. Maybe the handle is just bigger.  :-[

@Jocelyn: Yes I'm buying stuff there, and getting free shipping. So I was looking at the WASD.

I own a WASD & an MKC and the handle on the MKC is nicer to hold, but they both do the job of pulling equally as well. I recommend saving yourself the price of shipping and getting the WASD. You can always buy a second one in the future :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1817 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:07:44 »

There are very minor differences in all the pullers I have. I have a Filco, Ducky, WASD, and Techkeys puller. They will all work fine.

Yeah, small form factor.  I was looking at those, but am on a serious budget right now with baby coming in the next couple weeks.  I just sold my Ducky 1008C, and only have about $100 to spend including shipping. 

The Pure cost me $95. But I think the price on MK.com is a bit more expensive. Hunt the Classifieds for a cheaper one?

The techkeys is worlds better than the WADS, true story. And the cherry keychain pullers are good and the mkc is very sweet, I like it the best.

The MKC that Mashby saw looked and felt really cheap. Mashby said he broke his very easily. Seemed to be poor quality.

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:09:52 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1818 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:18:48 »

The Pure cost me $95. But I think the price on MK.com is a bit more expensive. Hunt the Classifieds for a cheaper one?

Yeah, there is one with reds (and green led) in the classifieds right now, and there is a choc mini on OCN.  There are a few CM Rapids is various flavors as well, that is why I am trying to figure out which will suite me the best. 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1819 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:20:37 »
Yeah, there is one with reds (and green led) in the classifieds right now, and there is a choc mini on OCN.  There are a few CM Rapids is various flavors as well, that is why I am trying to figure out which will suite me the best.

The Epsilon board was the first 75% board I really liked and bought. Besides that, I prefer 60% and TKL boards.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1820 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:24:48 »

The Epsilon board was the first 75% board I really liked and bought. Besides that, I prefer 60% and TKL boards.

I am leaning toward the TKL right now as I think I would be annoyed not being able to get complete sets of keycaps for it.  I like to tinker way too much, but on a budget (geekhack budget at least  ;))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1821 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:27:02 »
I am leaning toward the TKL right now as I think I would be annoyed not being able to get complete sets of keycaps for it.  I like to tinker way too much, but on a budget (geekhack budget at least  ;))

Well let us know what you get and how you like it ^__^

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1822 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:37:01 »
The MKC that Mashby saw looked and felt really cheap. Mashby said he broke his very easily. Seemed to be poor quality.

Really? I didn't use it all that much but it seemed to be ok.

Offline gliy

« Reply #1823 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:57:32 »
On kbdMania whenever I look at prices they are in a strange point system. Does anyone know the conversion rate from point to $?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1824 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:58:25 »
On kbdMania whenever I look at prices they are in a strange point system. Does anyone know the conversion rate from point to $?

I would assume the "Points" are Korean Wons. Go to Google and find the exchange rate for Korean Wons to $USD.

Offline gliy

« Reply #1825 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 15:04:56 »

I would assume the "Points" are Korean Wons. Go to Google and find the exchange rate for Korean Wons to $USD.

No its something that has a really low rate of transfer. ie: I've seen shipping cost .3, clickclacks(rare) at around 13 points, few others I'll lookup later

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1826 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 15:08:27 »
No its something that has a really low rate of transfer. ie: I've seen shipping cost .3, clickclacks(rare) at around 13 points, few others I'll lookup later

Oh right, I think KBD is one of the communities that doesn't do profit or money. That must be how they circumvent using actual money. I'm not really sure how the conversion works then. Hopefully someone can educate us both ^__^

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1827 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 16:38:29 »
I love that Leopold keypuller. It was the first one I bought, and though I've bought many more since then, I've never used them because there was never a need. The grip is sweet, and the shape of the wire indicates better pulling and getting into better places to me.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1828 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:05:19 »
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT - WE'VE CRACKED THE TOP 10 LIST!!

So as you all know, I started this a few months back after stealing it from TeamLiquid.net and then pitching it in IRC. In only three months, we've cracked ~1800 replies and 22000 views. This thread is now in the top ten most replied to posts on GeekHack! I wish I had some goodies to giveaway as a celebration but we'll just have to enjoy this moment together ^__^. Thanks to everyone who asked questions or has contributed an answer. Let's keep the knowledge bombs coming!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1829 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:07:59 »
Definitely an achievement for an amazing thread that has helped so many and will continue to. Good job, CPT, and everyone else.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1830 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:17:59 »

So as you all know, I started this a few months back after stealing it from TeamLiquid.net and then pitching it in IRC. In only three months, we've cracked ~1800 replies and 22000 views. This thread is now in the top ten most replied to posts on GeekHack! I wish I had some goodies to giveaway as a celebration but we'll just have to enjoy this moment together ^__^. Thanks to everyone who asked questions or has contributed an answer. Let's keep the knowledge bombs coming!

Show Image

Nice!
I've got two questions again today (I ask too many, don't I? lol)
1.) What choices do I have for TKL boards with Cherry switches stabs (god im Stupid.)?
2.) When desoldering a backlit keyboard do I also have to desolder the LEDS? If so how much time will this add to the process?
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:51:18 by Rule16 »
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1831 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:24:54 »
1.) What choices do I have for TKL boards with Cherry switches?
2.) When desoldering a backlit keyboard do I also have to desolder the LEDS? If so how much time will this add to the process?

There are a ton of options for TKL boards.  The general ones people gravitate towards are Ducky Pro TKL or Shine II TKL, Cooler Master QFRs, and the Keycool 87.  If you're willing to go smaller form factors, you've got keyboards like the Poker 2, KBTalking Pure, Deck 82, Keycool 84, Tex Beetle, Poker, GH60, etc.

Yes, you have to desolder the LEDs.  How much time depends on the number of LEDs.  Assuming every key is backlit, it will double your time since you will be desoldering the two switch legs and the two LED legs.  But once you have them desoldered, you can get a modified plate and dremel the switch top and you'll never have to worry about desoldering LEDs again.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1832 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:28:33 »
Uhm, don't forget the excellent Leopold FC200R!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1833 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:41:46 »
And the Filco Majestouch 2 TKL!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1834 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:44:32 »

Show Image

Nice!

1) Check out this list of TKL and 60% boards that Mashby compiled.

2) Yes you have to desolder the LEDs. I would venture a guess of 45-120 minutes. Depends on your soldering skill level and how fast you work. ^__^

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1835 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:49:54 »
accidental double post
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:52:17 by Rule16 »
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1836 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:50:23 »

There are a ton of options for TKL boards.  The general ones people gravitate towards are Ducky Pro TKL or Shine II TKL, Cooler Master QFRs, and the Keycool 87.  If you're willing to go smaller form factors, you've got keyboards like the Poker 2, KBTalking Pure, Deck 82, Keycool 84, Tex Beetle, Poker, GH60, etc.

Yes, you have to desolder the LEDs.  How much time depends on the number of LEDs.  Assuming every key is backlit, it will double your time since you will be desoldering the two switch legs and the two LED legs.  But once you have them desoldered, you can get a modified plate and dremel the switch top and you'll never have to worry about desoldering LEDs again.
I meant to ask TKL boards with cherry stabs, sorry.... also sorry about the double post.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:54:46 by Rule16 »
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1837 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:51:20 »
For me, desoldering takes many times longer than soldering. (hours)  Maybe its because my soldering tools are so much better than my desoldering tools

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1838 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:08:32 »
For me, desoldering takes many times longer than soldering. (hours)  Maybe its because my soldering tools are so much better than my desoldering tools

What are you using to desolder?  My desoldering takes longer than soldering, but using a hand pump and my iron, it only takes me around 1.5-2x as long as soldering.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1839 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 20:31:55 »
I love that Leopold keypuller. It was the first one I bought, and though I've bought many more since then, I've never used them because there was never a need. The grip is sweet, and the shape of the wire indicates better pulling and getting into better places to me.

great.....now I've got to find one of these  ???

is this the only place to get one? -> http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,keytools&pid=leokp

side note: anyone tried the soft/firm landing pads from EK? is there lube any good?
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 20:36:57 by ray4jc »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1840 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 20:36:18 »
Seems like it buddy ^__^

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1841 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:09:48 »
when using the second keyboard layout editor listed in the OP (the full size board) is there a way to remove keys and or resize keys?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1842 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:12:43 »
when using the second keyboard layout editor listed in the OP (the full size board) is there a way to remove keys and or resize keys?

I've actually had more success using the first layout generator. I still havent figured out the 2nd one.

Edit: And I looked at your layouts before. It's the Pure layout with a moved delete. I like it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:15:01 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1843 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:46:26 »
So does the ducky shine have cherry stabs? I thought I heard that mentioned somewhere but wasn't sure, and why do some people hate them so much?
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1844 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:51:59 »
So does the ducky shine have cherry stabs? I thought I heard that mentioned somewhere but wasn't sure, and why do some people hate them so much?

What exactly do you think people hate? The Ducky or the Cherry Stabs?

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1845 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:03:16 »

Cherry stabs
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1846 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:07:47 »

Cherry stabs

I think the Cherry stabilizers feel mushy compared to the Costar stabilizers. To me, Costar feels a touch crisper.

Edit: All Ducky boards have cherry stabs ^__^
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:11:10 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1847 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:13:26 »
How do I stop spending money? Please help immediately
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1848 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:14:12 »
How do I stop spending money? Please help immediately

Stop liking things, move into a cave, and play with the rocks and seaweed you find. Live a simple life. And sell me your LZ-S

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1849 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:20:30 »

I think the Cherry stabilizers feel mushy compared to the Costar stabilizers. To me, Costar feels a touch crisper.

Edit: All Ducky boards have cherry stabs ^__^

Now I'm gonna be all self concious