Author Topic: [GB] "Hack'd by Geeks" Keyset - Full Contour SA (Shipping Corrections)  (Read 325634 times)

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=vcgsoqck3hguo67a42jhu5eqv0&topic=63161.0
Re: [GB] "Hack'd by Geeks" Keyset - Full Contour SA
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 00:26:26 »
Interesting. What time do you start selling?
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 00:48:57 »
Man, all it needs is the 1.5u backspace and it's perfect!

Offline renne

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 01:55:17 »
FYI, in Pulse set, we have Row3 2.25x shift, 2.75x shift, but Row4 1.75x shift, 1x fn.

Offline tbc

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 02:02:01 »

1.75x capslock replacement you mean right?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 08:07:40 »

I think he meant to replace the "\|" key, not the Caps Lock.

FYI, in Pulse set, we have Row3 2.25x shift, 2.75x shift, but Row4 1.75x shift, 1x fn.

This. Please update the set and move the 1x Fn and 1.75x Shift to Row 4 so it matches when we do eventually get our Row 4 Shifts.

I think my question has been lost in all these other awesome posts about this awesome keycap set, so I'll pose it again as I think others will also be interested:

Are you going to wait for SP to finish the molds for the Row 4 Shift keys or will there be a small GB later for them like the PuLSE GB?

Oops, sorry Oobly. I need to stick this info in the OP somewhere.

I am not an expert on SA keys, but if I am not mistaken there were always issues with the profile of the shift keys, because Signature Plastics doesn't have the correct molds.

Has this been fixed yet?

Correct, as it stands now, Shifts will all be Row 3 profile, as before. When and if Signature Plastics is willing to correct this glaring oversight on their part, we would love to have the correct Row 4 profile Shifts included. If they become available after the group buy ends, I plan to do a "Shifts-only" GB for the correct profile caps.

Thank you!  :D

This set is... droolicious. Like my favourite DCS set (Nostalgia) met my favourite GMK set (Dolch) and made a big fat SA baby! Um.. well, perhaps I could have worded that a bit differently, but I think you get the idea. I LOVE this set.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 08:25:22 »

This. Please update the set and move the 1x Fn and 1.75x Shift to Row 4 so it matches when we do eventually get our Row 4 Shifts.

Hmmm, you would rather have the 1.75u and 1u Shift and Fn keys on Row 4, when your left shift will be on Row 3? That would really mess with my head, I think. I haven't tried it with my PuLSE set yet, as I haven't opened the extra keys I bought, only the base kit.

I'll test it out later, but for now I think I'll leave it as is.

I just sent an email to Melissa asking when the Row 4 shift molds would be ready.

And of course, the problem with making the 1.25u Shift a Row 4 key is that the 1.25u size on Row 4 is only available in Matte finish, while the entire rest of the set will be finished in Semi-Matte.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 08:57:46 »

Hmmm, you would rather have the 1.75u and 1u Shift and Fn keys on Row 4, when your left shift will be on Row 3? That would really mess with my head, I think. I haven't tried it with my PuLSE set yet, as I haven't opened the extra keys I bought, only the base kit.

I'll test it out later, but for now I think I'll leave it as is.

I just sent an email to Melissa asking when the Row 4 shift molds would be ready.

And of course, the problem with making the 1.25u Shift a Row 4 key is that the 1.25u size on Row 4 is only available in Matte finish, while the entire rest of the set will be finished in Semi-Matte.

I'd live with the difference. I only use the right Shift key anyway.

Um.. It's a 1.75x Shift, not 1.25x and 1.75x  Row 4 comes in semi-matte. It will make the number of Row 4 Shifts needed later lower.

I'm actually okay with either option, really (all Row 3 with the main set, all Row 4 later OR Row 4 on these keys straight away, remaining Row 4 Shifts later), but it's a small extra cost.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 09:00:46 »
Um.. It's a 1.75x Shift, not 1.25x and 1.75x  Row 4 comes in semi-matte. It will make the number of Row 4 Shifts needed later lower.

Oh I know, lol. I was just thinking out loud with regard to the 1.25u ISO/JD40 Shift. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 09:35:06 »
This set looks really great! I really like that it is all one kit, nothing to think of just get one and go. :) I'm excited about it being contoured too.

Apologizes if this is a stupid question, but in the mock up in the OP it shows the extra esc key as R2. Is there anyway that could be R1, so it would work with a 60%?
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 09:45:00 »

The 1.5u backspace is for a hhkb layout.

Also does sp make a stepped Ctrl key with a centered stem?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 10:39:36 »
Okay, if I switched the row profiles to 1-1-2-3-4-4, we could go with something like this:

You guys like that better? I'm leaning toward doing that, and making it a matte finish throughout.

in memoriam

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 10:50:19 »
Okay, if I switched the row profiles to 1-1-2-3-4-4, we could go with something like this:

Show Image

You guys like that better? I'm leaning toward doing that, and making it a matte finish throughout.

I'm new to SP keycaps. Is it possible to see the difference between a matte and semi-matte keycap? One will reflect less the light?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 10:56:00 »

Show Image

I'm new to SP keycaps. Is it possible to see the difference between a matte and semi-matte keycap? One will reflect less the light?

This picture (credit to Jil) of the 23 Commando set shows it pretty clearly. The entire keyset is matte finish, except for the Row 3 Shift keys and maybe that windowed Caps Lock

And here are the available profiles and finishes of SA

in memoriam

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:05:56 »

Show Image

That looks awesome. In for sure if it stays like that. I'm sure it will cost a couple bucks more for the added keys but I think it is worth it to increase compatibility for people.

Offline enddot

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:06:21 »

Show Image

This picture (credit to Jil) of the 23 Commando set shows it pretty clearly. The entire keyset is matte finish, except for the Row 3 Shift keys and maybe that windowed Caps Lock

Show Image

And here are the available profiles and finishes of SA

Show Image

Should it not be 1-1-2-3-4-3? The available profiles on spacebars are only row3 from that img.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:08:49 »
Should it not be 1-1-2-3-4-3? The available profiles on spacebars are only row3 from that img.

I don't count the spacebars, since they are only ever available in that (row 3-ish) profile. But the other bottom row mods would be row 4.

in memoriam

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:09:03 »
I'm guessing this will be sold through your own webstore?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:10:48 »
I'm guessing this will be sold through your own webstore?

[CTRL]ALT

in memoriam

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:30:16 »
Is the stepped 1.75u control key stem centered? If not, the kit would be missing a full touch 1.75u control key with centered stem.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:32:30 by ideus »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:34:10 »
Is the stepped 1.75u control key stem centered? If not, the kit should be missing a full touch 1.75u control key with centered stem.

It's off-centered. I'll think about adding it, but a full touch R3 1.75u CTRL is not included at this time.

in memoriam

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:45:47 »

Show Image

Nope! Not if that makes it matte finish. If you can keep it semi-matte in those row profiles then yes, I like it a lot, but if not... no thanks.

Will the F and J be deep dish or have homing bumps? For the record I prefer bumps.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:59:28 »
Is the stepped 1.75u control key stem centered? If not, the kit should be missing a full touch 1.75u control key with centered stem.

It's off-centered. I'll think about adding it, but a full touch R3 1.75u CTRL is not included at this time.

Got it: there is no CTRL replacement cap for caps-lock that may fit standard keyboards, but only for those with off-centered switch for the caps-lock key.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 12:40:38 »

Got it: there is no CTRL replacement cap for caps-lock that may fit standard keyboards, but only for those with off-centered switch for the caps-lock key.

Which keyboard have off-centered caps-lock key? More generally how do you know?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:34:52 »
I like the change in  profile and matte finish would be nice.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:39:03 »

Most Cherry G80 and G81 boards have offset Caps Lock (with a stepped keycap) and spacebar switches. Almost all others do not. If you take the Caps Lock cap off the switch you can see if it's centred or offset:

(the reason the dude is upset is the top cap which is from a G80-3850 which doesn't match either standard...)

Middle cap has centred stem, bottom cap has offset. Usually if it's a stepped cap it'll have an offset stem / switch.

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:15:28 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:44:11 »
OMGoodness...

well...

hmm...

I like it...

Butidunno...

Wallet hack initialized...

Subroutine cancelled by Wife.exe...

Rebooting...

Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:50:42 »
OMGoodness...

well...

hmm...

I like it...

Butidunno...

Wallet hack initialized...

Subroutine cancelled by Wife.exe...

Rebooting...

The Wife.exe process can get fairly irritating.
However, whatever you do, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT terminate or abort Wife.exe.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:13:47 »
Okay, this is close to being locked in. 3-1-2-3-4-3 in semi matte.

I made a couple additions for the CMD, SUPER, HYPER, META keys, and took out a few blanks. Also, I see where the Control-A and HHKB people are coming from. :)

in memoriam

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:21:07 »

Show Image

I made a couple additions for the CMD, SUPER, HYPER, META keys, and took out a few blanks. Also, I see where the Control-A and HHKB people are coming from. :)

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:23:13 »
Omegerrhd.  This is so good. How possible would it be to get an extra CMD with the set? it's the only mod I think most mac users would repeat on both sides.

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:27:03 »

Show Image

That is looking AWESOME!

But surely the extra Esc and GeekHack keys should be Row 1, not Row 2?
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline enddot

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:28:45 »

Show Image

That is looking AWESOME!

I think he's thinking of us in the JD40/45 crowd.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:30:02 »

Show Image

That is looking AWESOME!

Those are for JD40/45, so row 2.

I guess I need to consider 60% hmmmm....

in memoriam

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:30:33 »

I too would like an ESC in row 1.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:34:19 »
I guess I'll sacrifice my Row 2 GH keys for a Row 1 Esc.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:36:09 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:39:14 »

Why not both?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:39:33 »
Omegerrhd.  This is so good. How possible would it be to get an extra CMD with the set? it's the only mod I think most mac users would repeat on both sides.

I think that will have to be a compromise. I'm sure UNIX users would also like a second SUPER key, but I think you guys may have to share. :)

Why not both?

If this grows too much, I will price it out of reach for most people. :(

in memoriam

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 16:19:59 »
I think the last edit looks perfect jd. It fits a majority of the layouts, and shouldn't out price a lot of people.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 16:35:43 »

Show Image

as a big fan on the commando 23 set, i approve!
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 17:25:25 »

Show Image

I might have missed this (sorry), but for those of us using split backspace layouts, what do we put next to the R1 1u \| ?  The GH keys are R3 and Del is R2.  :(

Also, in the mockup there's a 1u left shift?  I don't recall reading what that's for.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 18:18:09 »

Show Image

I might have missed this (sorry), but for those of us using split backspace layouts, what do we put next to the R1 1u \| ?  The GH keys are R3 and Del is R2.  :(

Also, in the mockup there's a 1u left shift?  I don't recall reading what that's for.

For split backspace, wouldn't you assign backspace to the 1.5u key on row 2, and use the ~` and |\ keys where the 2u backspace would be. The only real use case for a row 1 1u backspace key would be if you're using a BigAss Enter, which this keyset doesn't support. :)

1u Shift is for those who want it on the JD40.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 January 2015, 18:20:41 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 18:28:56 »
For split backspace, wouldn't you assign backspace to the 1.5u key on row 2, and use the ~` and |\ keys where the 2u backspace would be. The only real use case for a row 1 1u backspace key would be if you're using a BigAss Enter, which this keyset doesn't support. :)

I don't know if this is typical, but here's my setup: Esc has a fn layer to cover `~, and the right half of the backspace key becomes Del (left half is \|).  I could use the `~ key, which I suppose is what I'll do (I forgot we'd have that key available), but I would much prefer to have it Del or blank, rather than using something I have mapped elsewhere.  But again, that might just be me - not trying to shake up the set you have, just explaining.   :thumb:

1u Shift is for those who want it on the JD40.

Got it.  :)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 22:13:36 »

Most Cherry G80 and G81 boards have offset Caps Lock (with a stepped keycap) and spacebar switches. Almost all others do not. If you take the Caps Lock cap off the switch you can see if it's centred or offset:

Show Image

(the reason the dude is upset is the top cap which is from a G80-3850 which doesn't match either standard...)

Middle cap has centred stem, bottom cap has offset. Usually if it's a stepped cap it'll have an offset stem / switch.

So this mean we cannot use Stepped caps on regular (modern) keyboard?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:26:24 »

Show Image

So this mean we cannot use Stepped caps on regular (modern) keyboard?

You got the idea, but now the set has a full touch centered stem CTRL replacement cap for the CAPS LOCK. One exception is a stepped caps lock in DCS profile made by SP in WoBlk and WoBeige that has a centered stem, I think techkeys still has them in stock. Other option is to "mod" a stepped caps lock by cutting its stem and glue it at the center of the cap.

Offline unoab

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 03:17:53 »

Show Image

Looks great so far!  Though, one suggestion I have is:

For the benefit of those switching out the WIN keys, I would suggest doubling down on the SUPER keys (the logical WIN substitute) and you could drop the META key to keep the numbers the same, as ALT <-> META, so you would need two anyways, just one would be lopsided.  One HYPER would still be fine if you wanted to put it in place of the MENU, as there really is not an analogue to it on current keyboards.

Oh, and are you going dishes or nipples for the homing keys?  ;D

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 04:10:50 »

Show Image

Damn, really like the use of the Orangey coloured Text/Numbers on a darker background, really makes it pop out.  Especially like this colour-way for deviant, late night typing.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [GB] &quot;Hack'd by Geeks&quot; Keyset - Full Contour SA
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 06:48:39 »

This looks great! Yay for contoured SA.

Any change of getting the ~ and | keys in the darker grey color?

Sorry, it's been requested, but I don't encourage people to do wrong things.

Perhaps these two keys could be offered in a separate "wrong" kit so those with different preferences can enjoy the keyset and help out the MOQ in the group buy?

I think that's a good idea.

The lack of symmetry would keep me from joining this GB.

I mean I can understand that you don't like it, but adding extra options doesn't hurt anybody or does it?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 07:40:06 »

COMING SOON
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......