Author Topic: [Album] Approaching Endgame: 60% SKCM Blue ALPS  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
[Album] Approaching Endgame: 60% SKCM Blue ALPS
« on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 06:04:52 »
Hey Geekhack!

Another 60% build.  We've seen tons of these but this time I've got SKCM Blue ALPS in an Aluminum case.

Parts:

Using a Duck 1.5 PCB (not DUCKY), Duck Plate, SKCM Blue ALPS, caps from multiple ALPS boards, and an aluminium case off MD.

Switches:

SKCM Blue ALPS are considered superior to SKCM White ALPS.  As an owner of both, I will say that SKCM Blue ALPS definitely feel better (smoother and less hollow), but they are probably not worth the massive premium.

How Much of a Premium?

My Focus FK 2001 with White ALPS cost around $20 shipped (it's heavy)
My Siig Suntouch Jr. cost about $45 shipped and it has mostly unused high quality "pine" SKCM White ALPS.

SKCM Blue Alps cost about $1.30 per loose switch, or $110+ for a donor board.

Caps

My biggest issue with ALPS is that there is no support for them.

Despite having a superior clicky switch (btw MATIAS makes great clones), they just never caught on.  So it's near impossible to find cap sets.  And forget about thick doubleshots or wonky colors.  Your ALPS come in beige or white (black for MATIAS)

Cap Donors:

Most caps are from the Focus FK2001, but it has an ISO enter, short right shift, non-stepped capslock, and no \| key.

For those keys, I had to go out and buy a Dell AT101-W...just for caps (until I make resin modifiers)

What's Left?

A few things left to really make this board "endgame"

I am in the process of molding my own custom resin Keycaps for ALPS.  Using "Greenstuff" sculpting resin and clay, I am making thick ALPS caps similar to a Click Clack Blank.  The first batch came out great, but only includes the QWERTY row.

Thanks for Stopping By!

Turning it over to you guys if you have any suggestions/recommendations or if you have any questions.

-Defect

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: [Album] Approaching Endgame: 60% SKCM Blue ALPS
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 06:06:47 »
Nice job. Keep us updated with your creation of a full cap set from scratch. Very ambitious!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 09:48:48 »
This is an awesome board. Not a 60% guy bust still, great job.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 09:55:48 »
Oooo oooo, I want custom Alps swag! I'm excited to see your progress on that.

Also...HOW DARE YOU SPEAK BAD OF BLUE ALPS. But seriously, if I couldn't find Blue Alps again, I'd be very happy with Matias Clicky. I think Matias clicky and Blue Alps are closer than White Alps.

Offline Defect

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 10:36:04 »
Oooo oooo, I want custom Alps swag! I'm excited to see your progress on that.

Also...HOW DARE YOU SPEAK BAD OF BLUE ALPS. But seriously, if I couldn't find Blue Alps again, I'd be very happy with Matias Clicky. I think Matias clicky and Blue Alps are closer than White Alps.

I wasn't speaking poorly of them... But they are quite expensive for what they are.  Like with most hobbies, the good stuff comes at a premium.

Nice job. Keep us updated with your creation of a full cap set from scratch. Very ambitious!

They look nice, but I'm having a hard time figuring out colors that don't look gaudy or make my board like a 5 year old's toy.  Less is more for customizing I guess.

This is an awesome board. Not a 60% guy bust still, great job.

I prefer TKL for work as well, but at least this is programmable so its use able.  Wish someone would let me piggy back on the Orion V2.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 11:11:57 »
I think Matias clicky and Blue Alps are closer than White Alps.

This is really interesting, as I would like to try blue alps but don't like the idea of buying some old board that has been sitting in an attic for 30 years. How similar are they in terms of smoothness and weight?

Offline Special K

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 11:22:50 »

This is really interesting, as I would like to try blue alps but don't like the idea of buying some old board that has been sitting in an attic for 30 years. How similar are they in terms of smoothness and weight?

You might check out a thread I made recently comparing blue alps vs. white alps vs. Matias tactile pro:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71350.0
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 11:28:04 »

You might check out a thread I made recently comparing blue alps vs. white alps vs. Matias tactile pro:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71350.0

I already saw it, but it was a very interesting thread :)

Offline Defect

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 11:36:58 »
For SKCM Blue vs SKCM White vs Matias my opinion is that:

Blues are smoother and more "dense" feeling, white alps are a compromise, and Matias is hollow, plastic, and crisp tactile.  This is just my feeling, have not done any measurable tests.

Caps have a huge impact on feel as well.  Only made a few custom thick resin caps but those are my favorite so far.

I want to splice a clack as well but feel like I'd get too much hate from GH.

Offline Special K

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 11:56:35 »
Using a Duck 1.5 PCB (not DUCKY)

Where does one find a "Duck" keyboard?  Google isn't returning anything obvious.  Also did you pull the PCB out of a whole keyboard or buy it separately?

Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 14:28:08 »
For SKCM Blue vs SKCM White vs Matias my opinion is that:

Blues are smoother and more "dense" feeling, white alps are a compromise, and Matias is hollow, plastic, and crisp tactile.  This is just my feeling, have not done any measurable tests.
That's exactly how I'd describe them as well.

Wouldn't say Matiases are closer in feeling to Blues than Whites are, btw.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Defect

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 15:54:15 »
Using a Duck 1.5 PCB (not DUCKY)

Where does one find a "Duck" keyboard?  Google isn't returning anything obvious.  Also did you pull the PCB out of a whole keyboard or buy it separately?

Bought the PCB from a Duck Mini v2 group buy.  Duck also makes the Viper and Eagle.  I think Orion TKL is also by Duck but am not 100% certain on that.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 17:04:42 »

They're Korean customs. Your only options are a Korean keyboard forum, the group buys that are run here, and the classified threads/private sales.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:04:04 »
You're living my dream!  I have blues in two boards, but none are 60%.  60% ANSI with blues is my absolute dream.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 11:07:59 »
Where did you get the plate? Is it steel or aluminum?